Apple in general and its devices and operating systems

RTH10260

Re: Apple MacOS and iOS

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm
Andy - I always wait, too, usually until after the first update to the new iOS is out.

RTH - let me know how it goes. My phone (a 5) can't be updated anymore (I really don't like the larger sized phones so I'm keeping my 5 until it stops working) but my iPad mini 2 still can be so I'm curious about what you think of the OS!
I have been using the iPad for browsing the forum with Chrome. All works nice for the short time i have been using it now. I disabled the new “screen usagel feature, i really don’t care which apps i use too much.

Not sure if this is new, but the keyboard moves now above the text entry field. I think this is new and disturbs me cause it overlays what i would like to see. Also selecting text is weird, may have been prior too and i just may not remember it. I don’t use this ipad often

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Somerset wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:
Andy - I always wait, too, usually until after the first update to the new iOS is out.

RTH - let me know how it goes. My phone (a 5) can't be updated anymore (I really don't like the larger sized phones so I'm keeping my 5 until it stops working) but my iPad mini 2 still can be so I'm curious about what you think of the OS!
I updated my iPad mini (4) this morning. No problem
Thanks, Somerset!

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:22 pm
Somerset wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:

I updated my iPad mini (4) this morning. No problem
I also updated my mini 4 yesterday. No problems yet. It cannot get the measurements app that is a touted feature of OS 12.
Thanks so much! I'm guessing my 2 definitely won't be getting the measurements app, then. I've lived this long without it so I don't really think I'll miss something I haven't had. :)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm

If updated my phone this morning, not the iPad Pro yet

Phone is whizzingly faster!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:28 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:

I have been using the iPad for browsing the forum with Chrome. All works nice for the short time i have been using it now. I disabled the new “screen usagel feature, i really don’t care which apps i use too much.

Not sure if this is new, but the keyboard moves now above the text entry field. I think this is new and disturbs me cause it overlays what i would like to see. Also selecting text is weird, may have been prior too and i just may not remember it. I don’t use this ipad often
Thanks so much for the update! That keyboard issue sure sounds like a pain. Have you tried it in Safari to see if it does the same thing? Huh - I hadn't read about the screen usage feature. I'll have to read up on that.

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm
If updated my phone this morning, not the iPad Pro yet

Phone is whizzingly faster!
Lucky you, she says grumblingly because she can't update her own phone & would really like it to be whizzingly faster, too. :madguy:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 pm

I have backed up, then updated my iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 8+, and iPod Touch.

After you've updated your iPads, Apple shows you how you now get to the Control Center by swiping down on the upper right hand corner, and you get to recent apps by swiping up from the bottom. I was having a problem with the swiping up - it didn't seem to do anything. I found a website which clarified - it's not just a swipe up - you also have to hold it a moment in the center of the screen. That solved my problem.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:38 am

Need to break into another's iPhone? It's easy with the way Apple does an update. When I updated, my PIN and fingerprint were wiped away. Just catch a phone while it's updating and you can put your very own PIN and password in, keeping all the old e-mail clients and such. It really needs to ask for a PIN before it will update.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

vic

Post by vic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 am

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:38 am
Need to break into another's iPhone? It's easy with the way Apple does an update. When I updated, my PIN and fingerprint were wiped away. Just catch a phone while it's updating and you can put your very own PIN and password in, keeping all the old e-mail clients and such. It really needs to ask for a PIN before it will update.
For as long as I can remember, my iPhones and my iPad have required the PIN to start the update process. My current iPhone X didn't reset Face ID, and my iPad didn't reset the fingerprint.

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 pm
I have backed up, then updated my iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 8+, and iPod Touch.

After you've updated your iPads, Apple shows you how you now get to the Control Center by swiping down on the upper right hand corner, and you get to recent apps by swiping up from the bottom. I was having a problem with the swiping up - it didn't seem to do anything. I found a website which clarified - it's not just a swipe up - you also have to hold it a moment in the center of the screen. That solved my problem.
Thanks for this, MN. I love updates that fix things or speed things up, but moving where things are, like Control Center, with each new OS drives me nuts (I confess to not liking change once something has become effortless/muscle memory :oops: ).

It also means people with one device that can be updated & one that can't have to remember what's where on which device. Yeah, that's a small issue but an annoying one. And yes, it's also me - I have an iPhone 5 which can't be updated anymore (I've gotten all my phones from friends as hand-me-downs*. I'm not proud :-D 8-) ) so it will still have the Control Center at the bottom. Like I need one more thing to think about / try to remember these days :crying:

*I currently have an iPhone 3, which is acting as an iPod in a recharging dock as well as a 4 & 4S which are filled with games for my niece & nephew to use. I LURVE repurposing old phones once I'm done with them as a phone for my use..

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:37 am

Just to clarify -

On the iPad and iPad Mini, you access the Control Center by swiping down from the top right edge. Because of their small sizes, you still access the Control Center on the iPhone and the iPad Touch by swiping up from the bottom.

On the iPad and iPad Mini, you can access the recently used apps by swiping up from the bottom edge and holding your finger briefly in the middle of the screen. All ALL of my devices, you can still double-click on the Home Button to show the recently used apps.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:46 pm

So far I’ve not encountered any problems with iOS12 :thumbs: Its now on my ipads too.

Everything is faster, I like he way the Apple News is displayed now, the control panel works better for me being up there in the corner. I have a case on my iPad that made bottom-swiping a real chore. (ew)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Reeeko

Post by Reeeko » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm

My mini has been getting slower to the point where I've been thinking about replacing it. However, the new IOs works fine, and it seems to be doing everything noticeably faster - sweet!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Does the measure app work on an iPhone 6? I can’t find it after the upgrade.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:41 pm
Does the measure app work on an iPhone 6? I can’t find it after the upgrade.
I upgraded my husband’s iPhone 6S and the measure app appears on it. Swipe left to where the iPhone search box is and search for Measure. See if it finds it.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:22 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm

I upgraded my husband’s iPhone 6S and the measure app appears on it. Swipe left to where the iPhone search box is and search for Measure. See if it finds it.
Tried that right away. It only points me to third party apps in the App Store

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Looks like it only works on the 6S and newer iPhones. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208924

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Huh. I didn’t know about the measure feature but I’ve downloaded a free app after reading this thread. It works. I love that I don’t have to carry a tape measure in my purse.

I suppose this is a mom thing: After Sprout was out of diapers but before pre school I got a larger purse and ditched the diaper bag. I was so used to carrying a day’s supply of needs and whims for two that I was slow to gear down. I still carry a lot of ‘just in case’ items but now I don’t need the tape! Yay.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:05 pm

My keyboard annoiance: this is actually feature that has been around since ios10. Seems that with the upgrade the option switched for me :? HowTo: When the keyboard is visible press and hold the keyboard icon bottom right corner. Then move to Undock/Dock. One can also split the keyboard in halves attached to left and right screen borders. Enjoy!

ETA The split keyboard can also be triggered by spreading two fingers while holding down on the keyboard. To join, hold a finger on each part and pinch together.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:07 pm

The measure on mine measures an eleven inch long piece of paper as 9.5 inches. Accurate, not.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:19 pm

ZekeB wrote:
No device is truly secure when not in the owners physical possession.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:46 pm

qbawl wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:19 pm
ZekeB wrote:
No device is truly secure when not in the owners physical possession.
Given some owners tendencies to click on anything, I'd argue the opposite can be true ;)

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:14 pm

I see some third party apps that do pretty much the same thing. I will try one out. I am not sure if I would trust it but we shall see.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 am

The new screen time feature tells me that in the partial week I've had iOS 12, I've spent 3 hours and 39 minutes on Fogbow. :o

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Return to “Computers & Internet”