Apple in general and its devices and operating systems

p0rtia

Re: Apple in general and its devices and operating systems

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Recommend you get a screen protector, because the larger the display, the more area for scratches. I picked up a couple before I got a screen protector. Now the screen protector gets scratch.

Never had a cell phone display scratch before. Yes, I think it's the size; when I put it in and out of my bag, it's like it scrapes against everything.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:20 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:38 pm
Recommend you get a screen protector, because the larger the display, the more area for scratches. I picked up a couple before I got a screen protector. Now the screen protector gets scratch.

Never had a cell phone display scratch before. Yes, I think it's the size; when I put it in and out of my bag, it's like it scrapes against everything.
Though an Android not Apple, I had a screen protector and protective cover on both. So far, so good.

No protection on my iPad beyond the keyboard that folds on top, and the padded sleeve, but it does not get bounced around as much as a phone (except for the times I tried using the keyboard while on the train and the magnets that holds the iPad in place do hold against train bumps).
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 pm

I get annoyed when apps I haven’t used for awhile need to reload (glacially) before I can use them.
I have an iPad Mini 4, 16 gig, running iOS12.4.

My phone is android, no waiting.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 pm
I get annoyed when apps I haven’t used for awhile need to reload (glacially) before I can use them.

I only have the iPhone XR, so maybe it's different on the iPad, but the annoying glacial delay on the not-used-for-a-while apps is because they are is updating, not loading.
ImageImageImage

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:29 pm

See if you have auto-updates set for your Android phone and not your iOS devices. I believe that iOS doesn't set this by default, but some Android phones do (I know our two Huawei phones auto-update, and my iPad mini does not).

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:51 pm

I don’t think that updating is the issue. I check the App Store almost every day to see if there are updates, and update them.

This issue appeared to me after I had updated the iOS, either with one of the 11 or early 12 versions.

I may be running out of storage space, or I have too many apps.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:11 pm

That might be it. All my apps open instantly -- and did so on my previous phone, iPhone 5S :bag:
ImageImageImage

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:51 pm
I don’t think that updating is the issue. I check the App Store almost every day to see if there are updates, and update them.

This issue appeared to me after I had updated the iOS, either with one of the 11 or early 12 versions.

I may be running out of storage space, or I have too many apps.
I never had that problem with my iPad Mini 4, but mine had 128GB memory.

When the iPad Mini 5 came out in April, I bought that model and sent my iPad Mini 4 to my non-computer retired carpenter sister. Her partner has loaded it up with the music my sister loves and she listens to it, via a bluetooth speaker, while she's working in her shop.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks for all the comments on the iPhone XR. I received mine today. I got my cell service and all the data transferred. I used the Apple transfer scheme instead of the AT&T app to do it. Of course you still have to enter all the passwords again for mail and other apps.

I like the larger display already! I have instinctively tried to push the home button a dozen times but the swipe up to open seems pretty intuitive. I haven't set up face recognition yet. I don't use a pass code (I know, I know) but I will figure that out and start using it.

I will probably get a screen protector. I already ordered a case. I will avoid the $40 screen protector that AT&T tried to sell me.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:11 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:44 pm
Thanks for all the comments on the iPhone XR. I received mine today. I got my cell service and all the data transferred. I used the Apple transfer scheme instead of the AT&T app to do it. Of course you still have to enter all the passwords again for mail and other apps.

I like the larger display already! I have instinctively tried to push the home button a dozen times but the swipe up to open seems pretty intuitive. I haven't set up face recognition yet. I don't use a pass code (I know, I know) but I will figure that out and start using it.

I will probably get a screen protector. I already ordered a case. I will avoid the $40 screen protector that AT&T tried to sell me.
Congratters! Boy do I not miss the home button--gave me arthritis. The sweep is very cool. As is the "pick me up and wake up" function. I don't use face rec. Or a pass code. Or Siri (hardly). But man, I love having Notes synched across my devices. And Contacts. And calendars. But mostly Notes.

I forked over the $40 bux for the screen protector from Apple. They put it on with their cool purpose-built machine so it would be basically invisible. Worth it.

Enjoy!
ImageImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:06 am

How to get on the No Fly List
FAA issues flight ban on 2015 MacBook Pros with faulty batteries
You'll have to get its battery replaced if you want to fly with it.

Mariella Moon
08.13.19 in Gadgetry

If you have a 2015 model of the 15-inch MacBook Pro, you may want to take up Apple on its free battery replacement offer before bringing it with you on a flight. The US Federal Aviation Administration has banned the model -- particularly those sold between September 2015 and February 2017 -- from flights after Apple issued a recall in June. Cupertino said those laptops' batteries may overheat and pose a safety risk.

The agency told Bloomberg in a statement that it's "aware of the recalled batteries that are used in some Apple MacBook Pro laptops." It has already alerted major airlines about it, telling them to adhere to the agency's 2016 safety instructions for devices with recalled batteries. As such, you can't take an affected laptop in your carry-on, and you can't check it in as cargo either. You can, however, take it on a flight once its battery has been replaced.

Bloomberg says four airlines based in the UK, Italy and Canada managed by Total Cargo Expertise recently implemented the same ban. The company already announced that the MacBook Pro model is no longer allowed in any of its airlines and said its personnel will remind passengers at the gate and before takeoff.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/13/faa ... cbook-pro/

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 am

iOS 13 is out today. Not sure how I like it so far.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:50 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 am
iOS 13 is out today. Not sure how I like it so far.
iOS 13 is supposed to include a separate OS for iPads. That might be interesting. I have always wondered why Apple didn't do that.

It is supposed to speed up face ID. That would be a good thing. I have been using it on my iPhone XR but have almost turned it off several times.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:08 am

I’ve read it’s full of bugs and has a security flaw. I’m going to wait for 13.1 which will be out in a few days. https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 4f9b4622bc
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am

I did update my iPhone 8 Plus earlier today, after I first backed it up to a computer. That included a WatchOS 6 update, so I also updated my Apple watch.

iOS 13 does not appear available for either my iPad or my iPad Mini, so I'll just wait for 13.1. I did back both of them up so I'm ready.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:44 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am
I did update my iPhone 8 Plus earlier today, after I first backed it up to a computer. That included a WatchOS 6 update, so I also updated my Apple watch.

iOS 13 does not appear available for either my iPad or my iPad Mini, so I'll just wait for 13.1. I did back both of them up so I'm ready.
Me either. Found this.
Apple has announced that the official release date of iPadOS 13 is September 24, fresh off the heals of releasing the iOS 13 update for iPhone. This is six days sooner than the originally planned release date of iPadOS 13, which was September 30.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:46 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:23 am

I updated my IPhone XR last night. Seems to run fine. I also noticed it's not available for my iPad yet.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:00 pm

...fresh off the heals of releasing the iOS 13 update
Hey, I do feel better!
D0n’t you wish it was this easy? :lol:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “Computers & Internet”