Apple MacOS and iOS

RTH10260

Apple MacOS and iOS

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:32 am

seems we didn't have a general thread for this
Apple ditches Bing for Google search results in Siri and Spotlight
Goodbye, Bing
by Micah Singleton@MicahSingleton Sep 25, 2017, 12:51pm EDT

Apple has removed Bing as the default search engine for Siri web search results in iOS and in Spotlight on the Mac in favor of Google, according to TechCrunch. The switch has already begun to roll out to iPhone and Mac users, and should be completed this afternoon.

“Switching to Google as the web search provider for Siri, Search within iOS and Spotlight on Mac will allow these services to have a consistent web search experience with the default in Safari,” Apple told TechCrunch in a statement. Apple is keeping Bing as the default search engine for images in both Siri and Spotlight on Mac, and YouTube will continue to handle video searches.

Apple has seemingly timed the change with the release of macOS High Sierra today, instead of with the release of iOS 11 last week. The move should help improve search results (unless you are in the “Bing is better than Google” camp) when Siri doesn’t have the answer to a question you asked. Google will also become the default search engine for the iOS search bar as well.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/25/1636 ... tlight-mac

RTH10260

Re: Apple MacOS and iOS

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:58 am

Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests
New data supports claims that iPhone 6S performance is poor until old battery is replaced, sparking fresh speculation that Apple intentionally slows down phones

Tue 19 Dec ‘17 14.00 GMT Last modified on Tue 19 Dec ‘17 15.06 GMT

A new analysis of performance data has reignited the debate over whether Apple intentionally slows down older iPhones.

The data suggests Apple reduces the speed of the processors in iPhones with old and worn batteries, making them slower.

Following user reports that older iPhones with ageing batteries performed worse than the same smartphones with replacement batteries, founder of benchmarking firm Primate Labs John Poole collated data from the company’s Geekbench program that is run on thousands of iPhones.

He found that results from benchmark tests from the iPhone 6S running iOS 10.2 pooled around the expected performance peak showing what the iPhone 6S was capable of without any hindrance.

But from the introduction of iOS 10.2.1 in January 2017, the data showed five peaks – the first matching the maximum performance as with iOS 10.2, but the following four at relatively set intervals showing steps downwards in performance.

The same was seen with tests run on the iPhone 6S running iOS 11.2, which was released in December 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -batteries

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:58 am
New data supports claims that iPhone 6S performance is poor until old battery is replaced, sparking fresh speculation that Apple intentionally slows down phones

A new analysis of performance data has reignited the debate over whether Apple intentionally slows down older iPhones.

The data suggests Apple reduces the speed of the processors in iPhones with old and worn batteries, making them slower.
:snippity: :snippity:

The question of course becomes is this good for the consumer or bad for the consumer:

Apple has made a decision to value battery longevity per recharge over performance. This is the choice I would make. I have owned almost every iPhone since the original up to the 6 plus. I have not seen a notable performance degradation but I am aware that some people do see one. My use case would be fairly typical: phone, text messages, some web browsing, audio and video streaming, video and still photography, and some gaming. my gaming needs are low resource games (think solitaire) and I don't normally do much video editing on the iPhone. As I said, for me availability is more important than performance.
Perhaps Apple could have implemented a settings panel that would let the consumer choose battery performance, or better yet implement the panel as a slider to select the battery behavior along a continuum.
I would also note that declining battery performance and longevity affects all phones so this is not an Apple exclusive though the solution may be.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 am

My old Galaxy S6 had a battery that was about two-thirds of what it was after two years. I have an iPhone 8 now and I'll replace the battery after two years. $79 is dirt cheap compared to the price of a new phone.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:18 am

qbawl wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am
RTH10260 wrote:

:snippity: :snippity:

The question of course becomes is this good for the consumer or bad for the consumer:
:snippity:
IMHO Apple ought to have informed the consumer and owner of sold devices, not just smuggled performance degrading code into the already distributed products. IMHO they ought to have made it an option to make it the consumers choice to at least disable the feature. But I also understand that Apple does not want to be liable for a desaster like Samsung had with its series 7 devices with exploding batteries on fire.

What would automobile owners (say like VW) say if their cars would suddenly be driving with less power cause the firmware gets updated silently by the manufacturer during the next stop at the workshop?

vic

Post by vic » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:41 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:18 am
qbawl wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:25 am
RTH10260 wrote:
:snippity:
IMHO Apple ought to have informed the consumer and owner of sold devices, not just smuggled performance degrading code into the already distributed products. IMHO they ought to have made it an option to make it the consumers choice to at least disable the feature. But I also understand that Apple does not want to be liable for a desaster like Samsung had with its series 7 devices with exploding batteries on fire.

What would automobile owners (say like VW) say if their cars would suddenly be driving with less power cause the firmware gets updated silently by the manufacturer during the next stop at the workshop?
That's a bad analogy. This is more like the car turning off the a/c and radio when you're low on gas so that you can reach the next fuel station before the tank runs dry.

And remember, it didn't reduce performance of all old phones. It was dependent on the battery condition. which is why replacing the battery returned it to normal performance.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 am

Apple did Qi right on the 8. Coupled with the Belkin charger, it’s never failed me. My old S6 had the worst Qi charging system I’ve ever dealt with. I’d set the S6 on the charger and half the time it would stop charging with less than half a charge.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am

According to my Swiss source NZZ there is already a claim pending in court as United States District Court Central District of California 2:17-cv-09138

vic

Post by vic » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am
According to my Swiss source NZZ there is already a claim pending in court as United States District Court Central District of California 2:17-cv-09138
As of Thursday evening, there were two - the California one, and this one in Illinois.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/apple ... r-iphones/

Apple sued in Chicago for slowing down older iPhones

But as we know from the Fogbow, anyone can sue for anything.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 am
It's Apple, there will be lawsuits!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Apple apologises to customers for slowing down older iPhones
Apple has apologised to its customers amid criticism over the company’s admission that it deliberately slows down some ageing iPhone models.

Euronews video transcript
► Show Spoiler

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Those with two year old and older iPhones get your batteries now while they’re $29.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 pm
Those with two year old and older iPhones get your batteries now while they’re $29.
According to what I've seen, the offer extends through 2018. My husband will probably have the battery in his iPhone 6s replaced in November.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:02 pm
"Offer valid as long stocks last" Apple quoting Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am

'GrayKey' iPhone Unlocking Box Used by Law Enforcement Shown Off in Photos
Thursday March 15, 2018 1:56 pm PDT by Juli Clover

Last week, news of a previously-unknown iPhone unlocking device called GrayKey surfaced, and today, MalwareBytes shared photos and additional information about the product, which is designed for law enforcement officials.

Created by a company named Grayshift, GrayKey is a small, portable gray box equipped with dual Lightning cables.

Two iPhones can be connected to the GrayKey at once, and need to be connected for about two minutes to install proprietary software that's designed to guess the passcode for an iPhone. Once the software is installed, it will work to crack the passcode, a process that can take as little as a few hours for a short passcode or several days for a longer six-digit passcode.

Once the GrayKey software has cracked the passcode, it'll be displayed right on the screen of the iPhone. The iPhone can then be plugged back into the GrayKey to download all of the data on the iPhone, including the unencrypted contents of the Keychain, which can then be accessed using a computer.

Based on screenshots, the GrayKey can crack modern iPhones running modern versions of iOS. It works with the iPhone X and iOS 11.2.5, the version of iOS that was likely available when the screenshots were captured. It probably also works with iOS 11.2.6, unless Apple has managed to block it in the latest operating system update.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/15/gr ... cking-box/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am

Documents Prove Local Cops Have Bought Cheap iPhone Cracking Tech
GrayShift is a new lawful access company, with an ex-Apple engineer on its staff, that promises to break into the latest iPhones. At least one local police department has already signed up to its GrayKey service.

Joseph Cox Mar 9 2018, 1:02pm

This is part of an ongoing Motherboard series on the proliferation of phone cracking technology, the people behind it, and who is buying it. Follow along here .

GrayShift is a new company that promises to unlock even iPhones running the latest version of iOS for a relatively cheap price.

In a sign of how hacking technology often trickles down from more well-funded federal agencies to local bodies, at least one regional police department has already signed up for GrayShift’s services, according to documents and emails obtained by Motherboard.

As Forbes reported on Monday, GrayShift is an American company which appears to be run by an ex-Apple security engineer and others who have long held contracts with intelligence agencies. In its marketing materials, GrayShift offers a tool called GrayKey, an offline version of which costs $30,000 and comes with an unlimited number of uses. For $15,000, customers can instead buy the online version, which grants 300 iPhones unlocks.

This is what the Indiana State Police bought, judging by a purchase order obtained by Motherboard. The document, dated February 21, is for one GrayKey unit costing $500, and a “GrayKey annual license—online—300 uses,” for $14,500. The order, and an accompanying request for quotation, indicate the unlocking service was intended for Indiana State Police’s cybercrime department. A quotation document emblazoned with GrayShift’s logo shows the company gave Indiana State Police a $500 dollar discount for their first year of the service.

Importantly, according to the marketing material cited by Forbes, GrayKey can unlock iPhones running modern versions of Apple’s mobile operating system, such as iOS 10 and 11, as well as the most up to date Apple hardware, like the iPhone 8 and X.

https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en_us/ ... cking-tech

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am
As Forbes reported on Monday, GrayShift is an American company which appears to be run by an ex-Apple security engineer and others who have long held contracts with intelligence agencies. In its marketing materials, GrayShift offers a tool called GrayKey, an offline version of which costs $30,000 and comes with an unlimited number of uses. For $15,000, customers can instead buy the online version, which grants 300 iPhones unlocks.
Hrm.

If Apple wanted to push it, they might be able to raise a stink there. Ex-employees potentially using propriety knowledge to circumvent an encryption scheme? I know you can not DMCA the cops, but GreyShift sounds shady enough that one might be able to go after them.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:18 am

neeneko wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am
Hrm.

If Apple wanted to push it, they might be able to raise a stink there. Ex-employees potentially using propriety knowledge to circumvent an encryption scheme? I know you can not DMCA the cops, but GreyShift sounds shady enough that one might be able to go after them.
The guy surely knows something special about that lightening connector and how to trick the device into accept a software download while not being signed in. I speculate it may be some maintenance mode stuff. I bet Apple will be now on high alert and a fix may be coming out in days. But if the soft spot is somewhere within the firmware/bios, updates may be more difficult to distribute. They have always held security super high especially for their commercial customer base. Just checked the web, still no reaction from Apple as I post this.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am

iOS 12 is now available: How to update, best new features and more

BY JESSICA DOLCOURT, JASON CIPRIANI
SEPTEMBER 17, 2018 9:56 AM PDT

Apple on Wednesday officially announced that Sept. 17 is the day iOS 12 will launch -- and the update is finally here. This is the operating system that will power your iPhone ($820 at Amazon Marketplace), iPad ($345 at Amazon Marketplace) and iPod Touch for the next year. In other words, it's kind of a big deal.

When can I download it?
Right now. Apple released its iOS 12 update at 10 a.m. PT on Monday, Sept. 17. Update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 12 right now.

Device compatibility
If your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch runs iOS 11, it will run iOS 12. That means all iPhones starting from the iPhone 5S onward. That's the short answer, but we also have a more detailed answer right here.

Smoother and faster
The headlining feature of iOS 12 isn't something we can explain through screenshots. It's something you have to experience on your own. Instead of cramming countless new features into iOS 12 and adding to some of the already perplexing (and frustrating!) bugs we all experience, Apple is using iOS 12 to focus on improving the overall performance of its iOS device lineup across the board.

Apps should open faster, scrolling should be smoother and crashes should be fewer.

Best new features [...read in article...]

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ios-12-avai ... -features/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 am

And how many bugs does this festoon onto my otherwise nicely-working iPhone?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 am

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:53 am
And how many bugs does this festoon onto my otherwise nicely-working iPhone?
I will let you know! I just started the installation process on my iPad that I use for backup situations. [The iPad was a special offer by my mobile provider: a near free give-away with an unlimited wireless internet only SIM, I use the SIM generally on a different device]

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 am

I always wait a week or two before I download a new version. I'll do the same thing now. I'm not fond of carrying really big phones. I recently went from the 6 to the 7. It's the same size but it feels like twice the weight. I needed a lot more space for photos, though (have over 4,000), so the 7 was better for me.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Andy - I always wait, too, usually until after the first update to the new iOS is out.

RTH - let me know how it goes. My phone (a 5) can't be updated anymore (I really don't like the larger sized phones so I'm keeping my 5 until it stops working) but my iPad mini 2 still can be so I'm curious about what you think of the OS!

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm
Andy - I always wait, too, usually until after the first update to the new iOS is out.

RTH - let me know how it goes. My phone (a 5) can't be updated anymore (I really don't like the larger sized phones so I'm keeping my 5 until it stops working) but my iPad mini 2 still can be so I'm curious about what you think of the OS!
I updated my iPad mini (4) this morning. No problem

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Somerset wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I updated my iPad mini (4) this morning. No problem
I also updated my mini 4 yesterday. No problems yet. It cannot get the measurements app that is a touted feature of OS 12.

Return to “Computers & Internet”