Firefox - pages not loading

Reality Check

Firefox - pages not loading

Post #1 by Reality Check » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am

I just started having trouble with pages on various web sites loading slowly or not at all on Firefox on an older PC running Windows Vista 32. I noticed Firefox is now phasing out support for Windows Vista. Mine Vista PC stopped updating with 52. I only get that are called security updates now. Has anyone else noticed this happening lately? I was going to try Chrome but they don't support Vista either. I am not paying $120 for a full copy of Windows 10 - no way. My Windows 10 PC's are running fine so it is not a connection issue.

I've tried refreshing Firefox and turning off extensions but it does seem to help much. I even tried some tweaks to about:config. I seem to recall having an issue like this several years ago but I cannot remember the fix. :brickwallsmall:

What has 'theology' ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has 'theology' ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? What makes you think that 'theology' is a subject at all?

Richard Dawkins

Whip

Re: Firefox - pages not loading

Post #2 by Whip » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 am

my windows8 machine with firefox55 has been acting weird lately. getting 'connection timeout' or 'connection lost' messages at times but if I back button and reclick, it usually goes where I want.

Addie

Post #3 by Addie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am

Reposting this:

On Firefox: Help>Trouble Shooting Information>Refresh Firefox

It may be slightly different on Windows; and on Windows, as on Linux, you may have to reenable or add on anew your current add ons. However, doing this clears up a ton of problems with slow-loading or never-ending-loading tabs and unwanted log-outs. I do it whenever Firefox starts acting up and it does the job, so I think it is worth the time and small effort. Also, if you don't see immediate results, try restarting your system.

I used this method on Firefox 54 the other day. It fixed everything up. Not sure if it works for everyone, but it works for me on Linux.

¡Qué vergüenza!

DejaMoo

Post #4 by DejaMoo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 am

Lunascape browser is supposed to still work with Vista, you could give that a try.

ETA: Microsoft's support for Vista ended in April 2017, Firefox was scheduled to drop Vista support as of September 2017. They may have moved that date up a bit, hence your issues.

ZekeB

Post #5 by ZekeB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am

From RUN type "cmd". From the cmd window type "ipconfig /flushdns". I had the same problem since last Thursday on all 3 browsers on two sites (including tfb). It resolved itself and I suspect it was a routing problem that was beyond my reach.

ETA: Reboot the computer after flushing.

Reality Check

Post #6 by Reality Check » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks Zeke. I gave that a try. I haven't used ipconfig for a while! I had to run as admin to do that.

What has 'theology' ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has 'theology' ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? What makes you think that 'theology' is a subject at all?

Richard Dawkins

RTH10260

Post #7 by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Reality Check wrote: :snippity:
. I am not paying $120 for a full copy of Windows 10 - no way. My Windows 10 PC's are running fine so it is not a connection issue.
:snippity:

Hint: research this latest Win10 release, don't remember it's fancy name. There had been some notes on the web that MS quietly allowed free upgrades from prior versions like during the initial rollout.

Reality Check

Post #8 by Reality Check » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:14 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Hint: research this latest Win10 release, don't remember it's fancy name. There had been some notes on the web that MS quietly allowed free upgrades from prior versions like during the initial rollout.

I will check it out but I don't think there has ever been a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 10. I upgraded both a Windows 7 and two Windows 8 PC's to Windows 10.

Richard Dawkins

RTH10260

Post #9 by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Reality Check wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:Hint: research this latest Win10 release, don't remember it's fancy name. There had been some notes on the web that MS quietly allowed free upgrades from prior versions like during the initial rollout.

I will check it out but I don't think there has ever been a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 10. I upgraded both a Windows 7 and two Windows 8 PC's to Windows 10.

Couldn't sleep, so snooped on the web. For a more tedious approach, check the web for win7 upgrades, legit license keys continue to be sold, with or without cd, may require image download from microsoft. after that step move to the win10 upgrade if free. beware the usual hassle with device drivers.

ZekeB

Post #10 by ZekeB » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm

The 7 to 10 free upgrade offer went away a year ago.

Reality Check

Post #11 by Reality Check » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 pm

I think the Windows upgrade route is more of a hassle than it is worth. There are some sites that sell second hand activation keys for Windows 10 for discount prices that may or may not work. You can download an ISO file of the Windows 10 installation DVD and make a bootable USB stick copy. Guys who build PC's do this.

It seems like it should be a simple fix to get a GD browser to work. I hate computers. :crying:

Richard Dawkins

Reality Check

Post #12 by Reality Check » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 pm

I downloaded Chrome today and I am having the same issue in Chrome. I have run speed tests and they show I am getting the speeds I should for my cable connection. I think something is going on with Windows Vista.

Richard Dawkins

ZekeB

Post #13 by ZekeB » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:50 pm

What does it do when you disable your AV programs?

Reality Check

Post #14 by Reality Check » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

ZekeB wrote:What does it do when you disable your AV programs?

I tried running FIrefox in safe mode, which disables the extensions, and that didn't help. It acts like a previous issue when I was on DSL and I had set the MTU setting too high on the modem. I tried setting the MTU in Windows from 1500 to 1458 and that didn't change anything after a reboot. Simple pages like My Yahoo won't load. TFB doesn't seem to have any issues.

I am on cable so the default MTU setting of 1500 should be fine. I am running 3 other Windows 10 PC's on the same router with no problems at all.

Richard Dawkins

TollandRCR

Post #15 by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Our university IT people kept us on Windows XP until moving us to Windows 7. They skipped Vista entirely. I had Vista at home for a short time until I could get the next edition of Windows.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Reality Check

Post #16 by Reality Check » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm

OK, I went back to basics. I tried booting Windows Vista into safe mode with networking. After I booted up and I could now load sites that wouldn't load before. I rebooted and ran CCleaner to turn off about everything in in the Startup tab. I left Avast AV alone. On reboot pages loaded OK. Now I have to figure out what is the program that is mucking things up at startup. I will trun things back on one at a time and see what gives.

Richard Dawkins

ShaiH

Post #17 by ShaiH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:56 am

I registered just to post this - to be honest I don't know what the website is about (terrible manners), but this thread has given me hope, and I wanted to say thank you to Reality Check because I haven't found that anywhere else in my searches.

I still use Vista as my main OS, and I've been having *exactly* these issues for the past week or ten days. I've recently(ish) installed several out-of-band (I think that's the parlance) updates from Microsoft, released in the wake of WannaCry, so perhaps these are to blame. But it's been an utterly painful user experience since the problems started, and I've been waving my fist at my ISP up until now...

I'll have a go at CCleaner. Thank you again.

ShaiH

Post #18 by ShaiH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 am

...and it turns out Avast Antivirus is to blame.

Reality Check

Post #19 by Reality Check » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 am

ShaiH wrote:...and it turns out Avast Antivirus is to blame.

I thought turning off various startup items fixed it but something is still not right. Pages like MyYahoo and Facebook especially don't work all the time. Do you have info on Avast! causing this? It did update recently.

Richard Dawkins

Reality Check

Post #20 by Reality Check » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:27 am

ShaiH wrote: :snippity:
I'll have a go at CCleaner. Thank you again.

Glad you joined. You can also turn off startup programs and services using msconfig. Just bring up a command prompt and type msconfig. It is a nice troubleshooting utility.

Richard Dawkins

ZekeB

Post #21 by ZekeB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am

I pulled a lot of hair over the past 7 days. I had two web pages that wouldn't load, a very intermittent connection to the Microsoft Outlook mail server, Microsoft web sites in general and Windows 10 Update that just sat there, spinning.

I have Norton Utilities installed and ran the Regedit repair tool. It claimed to have fixed 300+ items. No go on this fix helping. I ran the Update Troubleshooter that comes with Win10. It took forever and claimed to have fixed four items. No go on the update working. Miraculously I could connect to the web sites and email server after a day of doing nothing. Update still didn't work and the computer seemed to be sluggish. I ran Update Troubleshooter again and it found 4 items. Fixed those, but no go on Update working. BTW I use Windows Defender and that wouldn't update either.

Finally I went into Update and removed all the updates of the past month. I ran Update Troubleshooter again and it claimed to have found/fixed 3 items. I rebooted and ran Update and it ran flawlessly. I reinstalled the removed updates with no problems. Everything has worked fine since then.

I don't know what the problem was, but it appears that something was corrupted during an update.

Reality Check

Post #22 by Reality Check » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:39 pm

I think I narrowed it down to Avast! AV. I found out that even though you turn off the shields it is not really disabled completely. I tried taking it out of the startup files using msconfig and it just turned itself back on. I decided to uninstall it completely and web pages started loading much faster. I think Avast had an update last week and that is about the time the issues started.

It must only be an issue with earlier versions of Windows because I am running it on three other PC's with Windows 10 without the browser problem. I will have to look some other AV products.

Edit: I found a discussion about this on an Avast! forum. It seems that it affects sites using HTTPS.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=205830.0

Richard Dawkins

Reality Check

Post #23 by Reality Check » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 am

What makes this doubly frustrating is that I turned off Avast's web shield multiple times and saw no real improvement. I had to completely uninstall Avast to narrow down the problem to Avast. That tells me that even when you turn off Avast it isn't really turned off. I suppose I could reinstall it and turn off https scanning as the Avast forum suggests but I don't trust that to work. I also notice that Avast really slows down Windows Vista starting.

Richard Dawkins

ZekeB

Post #24 by ZekeB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:31 am

I switched to the free Windows Defender when I got tired of paying Norton $80+ every year. Norton did work. I don't know if Defender works with XP or not. I run Malwarebytes coupled with Defender and haven't had a problem in the past several years. I did get Malwarebytes back when there were lifetime subscriptions available, though. Defender would pop up and ask if I wanted a certain program to have access, but it has learned all my habits.

Reality Check

Post #25 by Reality Check » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 am

I have Malwarebytes but it's disabled right now. I might try Avira. Someone over at DSL Reports suggested that as an alternative .

Richard Dawkins

Return to “Computers & Internet”