Apple in general and its devices and operating systems

Reality Check

Re: Apple MacOS and iOS

Post by Reality Check » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:41 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 am
The new screen time feature tells me that in the partial week I've had iOS 12, I've spent 3 hours and 39 minutes on Fogbow. :o
We obviously have no life. :lol:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Some Users Locked Out of Their Apple IDs, Forced to Reset Passwords
Tuesday November 13, 2018 6:24 am PST by Mitchel Broussard

Apple appears to have locked a select group of users out of their Apple ID accounts over the past 20 hours or so, with no clear indication yet as to why the incident has occurred. According to reports on Reddit and Twitter, users are being kicked out of their Apple IDs for security reasons, and forced to reset their password to gain access to their account.

Users report this happening without warning on iPhone, Apple TV, and other Apple devices, while they were using Apple Music, watching TV, etc. The original poster on Reddit confirmed that they have two factor authentication enabled and a unique iCloud password for their Apple ID not used anywhere else, and many users report similar settings.

On Twitter, @AppleSupport is guiding users to the Support Communities web page that explains what to do if your Apple ID is locked and disabled. In nearly all instances across social media, users are reporting that they must reset their Apple ID password to be able to get back into their accounts.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/13/lo ... apple-ids/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:39 pm

APPLE APOLOGISES OVER MAJOR IPHONE FACETIME SNOOPING BUG
Andrew Griffin

Apple has apologised over a major FaceTime bug that let people listen in on others' iPhones.

A fix has now been developed and rolled out on Apple's servers, and will be with users through an iOS update next week, it said. That will arrive as a normal iPhone software update.

Until then, users are safe because Apple has turned off the affected group FaceTime feature entirely, stopping anyone conferencing calling.

The apology comes days after it emerged that an issue with group FaceTime calls allowed people to listen in on other phones. In some cases, the bug would even allow users to see video through the phone's camera, entirely without the knowledge of the person on the other end of the call.

The company also thanked the Thompson family, a mother and her son who had discovered the bug and then said they trouble reporting it in to Apple. It said it would improve the process through which such reports could be sent in, and to make sure they are fixed as quickly as possible.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 58526.html

the issue at hand:
Serious FaceTime Bug Lets You Hear a Person's Audio Before They Answer [Update: And See Video]
Monday January 28, 2019 4:12 pm PST by Juli Clover

There's a major bug in FaceTime right now that lets you connect to someone and hear their audio without the person even accepting the call.

This bug is making the rounds on social media, and as 9to5Mac points out, there are major privacy concerns involved. You can force a FaceTime call with someone and hear what they're saying, perhaps even without their knowledge.

We tested the bug at MacRumors and were able to initiate a FaceTime call with each other where we could hear the person on the other end without ever having pressed the button to accept the call. To exploit the bug, all you have to do is add your own phone number to a FaceTime call you've already initiated, which apparently creates a major FaceTime issue.

These are the steps:

1. Initiate a FaceTime call with someone.
2. While the call is ringing, swipe up from the bottom of the display.
3. Tap on the "Add Person" button.
4. Add your own phone number when it asks for the number of the person to add.

Adding your own phone number to Group FaceTime a second time causes the call between both parties to connect. You can hear the person on the other end and they can hear you, even though the call wasn't accepted.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/28/ap ... etime-bug/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Many popular iPhone apps secretly record your screen without asking
And there's no way a user would know

Zack Whittaker

Many major companies, like Air Canada, Hollister and Expedia, are recording every tap and swipe you make on their iPhone apps. In most cases you won’t even realize it. And they don’t need to ask for permission.

You can assume that most apps are collecting data on you. Some even monetize your data without your knowledge. But TechCrunch has found several popular iPhone apps, from hoteliers, travel sites, airlines, cell phone carriers, banks and financiers, that don’t ask or make it clear — if at all — that they know exactly how you’re using their apps.

Worse, even though these apps are meant to mask certain fields, some inadvertently expose sensitive data.

Apps like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hotels.com and Singapore Airlines also use Glassbox, a customer experience analytics firm, one of a handful of companies that allows developers to embed “session replay” technology into their apps. These session replays let app developers record the screen and play them back to see how its users interacted with the app to figure out if something didn’t work or if there was an error. Every tap, button push and keyboard entry is recorded — effectively screenshotted — and sent back to the app developers.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/06/iphon ... reenshots/

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Many popular iPhone apps secretly record your screen without asking
And there's no way a user would know

Zack Whittaker

Many major companies, like Air Canada, Hollister and Expedia, are recording every tap and swipe you make on their iPhone apps. In most cases you won’t even realize it. And they don’t need to ask for permission.

You can assume that most apps are collecting data on you. Some even monetize your data without your knowledge. But TechCrunch has found several popular iPhone apps, from hoteliers, travel sites, airlines, cell phone carriers, banks and financiers, that don’t ask or make it clear — if at all — that they know exactly how you’re using their apps.

Worse, even though these apps are meant to mask certain fields, some inadvertently expose sensitive data.

Apps like Abercrombie & Fitch, Hotels.com and Singapore Airlines also use Glassbox, a customer experience analytics firm, one of a handful of companies that allows developers to embed “session replay” technology into their apps. These session replays let app developers record the screen and play them back to see how its users interacted with the app to figure out if something didn’t work or if there was an error. Every tap, button push and keyboard entry is recorded — effectively screenshotted — and sent back to the app developers.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/06/iphon ... reenshots/
And the immediate reaction from Apple:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/07/apple-glassbox-apps/
Apple tells app developers to disclose or remove screen recording code

Apple is telling app developers to remove or properly disclose their use of analytics code that allows them to record how a user interacts with their iPhone apps — or face removal from the app store, TechCrunch can confirm.

In an email, an Apple spokesperson said: “Protecting user privacy is paramount in the Apple ecosystem. Our App Store Review Guidelines require that apps request explicit user consent and provide a clear visual indication when recording, logging, or otherwise making a record of user activity.”

“We have notified the developers that are in violation of these strict privacy terms and guidelines, and will take immediate action if necessary,” the spokesperson added.

It follows an investigation by TechCrunch that revealed major companies, like Expedia, Hollister and Hotels.com, were using a third-party analytics tool to record every tap and swipe inside the app. We found that none of the apps we tested asked the user for permission, and none of the companies said in their privacy policies that they were recording a user’s app activity.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 am

Be alert if you are running a Windows software in the Mono framework on MacOS. Don't download apps from unverified origins!

Note: this is note a newly discovered bug but a new hacking tool.
Windows Malware Runs on Macs, Bypasses Gatekeeper to Target Software Pirates
By Sergiu Gatlan
February 12, 2019 10:59 AM

If it wasn't already obvious, pirating software is a risky business and this was again proven by a set of malicious executables targeting macOS users with info stealers and adware, and compiled as Windows EXE binaries with the help of the open source Mono framework.

Mono is designed to allow developers to create cross-platform .NET applications part of the .NET Foundation, which can be later used on multiple platforms, from macOS, Windows, Android, most Linux distributions, BSD, and Solaris, as well as on some game consoles such as PlayStation, Xbox, and Wii.

The malware ridden executables discovered by Trend Micro's Don Ladores and Luis Magisa are distributed via torrent websites and promise to deliver cracked versions of various software:
Little_Snitch_583_MAC_OS_X.zip
Paragon_NTFS_for_Mac_OS_Sierra_Fully_Activated.zip
Wondershare_Filmora_924_Patched_Mac_OSX_X.zip
LennarDigital_Sylenth1_VSTi_AU_v3_203_MAC_OSX.zip
Sylenth1_v331_Purple_Skin__Sound_Radix_32Lives_v109.zip
TORRENTINSTANT.COM+-+Traktor_Pro_2_for_MAC_v321.zip

Mono-based binaries will launch unhindered as long as the Mono runtime is available on the system and the threat actors made sure that their malware will be able to run by bundling a copy of the Mono framework within the downloaded installers.

The installer within the Little_Snitch_583_MAC_OS_X.zip (the one Trend Micro chose to analyze) looks just like any other macOS app, but on closer inspection, when looking within the application bundles, the researchers were able to find the maliciously crafted EXE files which will deliver "a malicious payload that overrides Mac’s built-in protection mechanisms such as Gatekeeper."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... e-pirates/

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm

(I know this may not be exactly the right thread, but I'm excited.)

Apple introduced the first iPad Mini in the fall of 2012. For the next three years it updated the iPad Mini in the fall, with the iPad Mini 4 coming out in September 2015. Then... crickets. No new iPad Minis. Rumors were that Apple was going to drop the Mini. :crying: I loved my iPad Mini.

TODAY - 3½ years later - Apple announces the iPad Mini 5. YAY. :dance: Newer. Faster. More memory. What's not to love?

By the way, they are also coming out with an updated 10.5" iPad Air.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RTH10260

Apple in general and its devices and operating systems

Post by RTH10260 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Supreme Court rules iPhone users can sue Apple over App Store prices
BY JACQUELINE THOMSEN AND HARPER NEIDIG - 05/13/19 10:14 AM EDT

The Supreme Court on Monday said that iPhone users can proceed with a class-action lawsuit against Apple over its control of app sales in a ruling that could threaten the company's exclusive marketplace of third-party software.

A group of consumers had sued Apple, claiming that the company's monopoly over its App Store led to inflated app prices. Apple disputed the legality of the suit, arguing the consumers had no standing to sue the company because it merely operated the App Store as an intermediary between users and the developers who make and sell apps.

Justice Brett Kavanaugh wrote the opinion for the 5-4 decision, surprising many by breaking with his conservative colleagues and siding with the court's liberal justices.

The Supreme Court had ruled in 1977 in a case called Illinois Brick that only "direct purchasers" of products have standing to bring antitrust lawsuits. In his decision, Kavanaugh rejected Apple's argument that it was the app developers, and not the company operating the App Store, that sold the programs directly to users.

"Apple’s theory would provide a roadmap for monopolistic retailers to structure transactions with manufacturers or suppliers so as to evade antitrust claims by consumers and thereby thwart effective antitrust enforcement," Kavanaugh wrote.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... an-advance

Jeffrey

Re: Apple in general and its devices and operating systems

Post by Jeffrey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:24 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd-for-999
Apple Just Announced It's Selling a Mac Monitor Stand for $999
I am pre-ordering now. :fiesta:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:16 pm

:confused: you already own the new fancy monitor, or will that be a sell-up to the stand? ;)

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:16 pm
:confused: you already own the new fancy monitor, or will that be a sell-up to the stand? ;)
The new monitor is $5K and doesn't come with a stand. You can buy a VESA mount for $200 or a desk stand for $1K.

Reminds me of how the original Macintoshes didn't come with a keyboard.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Somerset wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:34 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:16 pm
The new monitor is $5K and doesn't come with a stand. You can buy a VESA mount for $200 or a desk stand for $1K.

Reminds me of how the original Macintoshes didn't come with a keyboard.
Of course they didn't need no keyboard - they came with that new contraption named a mouse :-D

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 pm

I found out today that when iOS 13 is released Apple is dropping support for my iPhone 6. It will only support the 6s and later models. They are also not going to support the iPad Air. :(

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:18 am

Is Siri listening to my conversations?
We investigate Apple's Siri privacy claims, after it suspends its voice assistant's 'grading' system amid whistleblower claims. Is Siri on your iPhone, iPad, Mac and HomePod listening in on your personal conversations - and more?

By Cliff Joseph | 06 Aug 19

Users are growing increasingly suspicious of their smart speakers, as more and more news stories reveal the extent to which these devices listen to the households around them - and how much of that private information makes its way back to their makers' servers. The idea of faceless employees listening in on our private lives without our knowledge is enough to make anyone doubt the advantages of voice-triggered technology.

But let's face it: we expect this sort of thing from Google and Amazon. Surely Apple is better? In this article we investigate to see if Apple's privacy practices match up with its policies, and whether Siri is spying on your conversations. For related advice, take a look at How to use Siri.

The privacy advocate

Apple has always presented itself as a champion of privacy for its users. "Privacy to us is a human right - it's a civil liberty," said CEO Tim Cook in an interview with MSNBC last year, whilst also criticising companies such as Facebook for their poor privacy practices in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal. (FaceBook's Mark Zuckerberg allegedly provided a suitably mature response by telling his staff not to use iPhones any more…)

Of course, Apple does gather a lot of information about its users - and especially users of its HomePod smart speaker, which uses the Siri voice assistant to listen to your conversations at home in order to answer questions and respond to commands. And, of course, you can use Siri on iPhones and iPads, as well as recent Mac models, and even the Apple Watch.

There have been some recent news stories about Amazon's rival Alexa speakers listening in on conversations - and other, er, non-verbal activities you might engage in at home - but Apple has always maintained that Siri is more secure and private than its rivals.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/appl ... g-3700646/

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 am

Reality Check wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:39 pm
I found out today that when iOS 13 is released Apple is dropping support for my iPhone 6. It will only support the 6s and later models. They are also not going to support the iPad Air. :(
I was suprised when Apple sent an update for iOS 10 last week. Apparently, it was a bug fix for cellular versions. My iPad is not supported by iOS 11 or higher so it stopped upgrades.

I am looking to replace it soon anyway, as it is developing difficulties and getting slower.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 am
I was surprised when Apple sent an update for iOS 10 last week. Apparently, it was a bug fix for cellular versions. My iPad is not supported by iOS 11 or higher so it stopped upgrades.

I am looking to replace it soon anyway, as it is developing difficulties and getting slower.
I dropped my iPad Air and broke the glass early in the summer. I bought a repair kit but messed up the LCD trying to install it. I bought an iPad Air II to replace it so I will get the upgrade. I will probably replace my iPhone 6 soon but I haven't decided what I want next. I am looking at the iPhone 8+ or the XR. Does anyone have experience with these?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
I was suprised when Apple sent an update for iOS 10 last week. Apparently, it was a bug fix for cellular versions. My iPad is not supported by iOS 11 or higher so it stopped upgrades.

That may be a side effect of that infamous Apple update slowing down devices with batteries that are getting old and worn out. In 2018 Apple did make a big retrofit promotion for fresh batteries. I am told batteries are also priced way down now, something below $30 rather than near $80.

PS. there are several class law suits filed cause of the way Apple sneaked in the slowdown in a recent iOS update.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm
Northland10 wrote:
Reality Check wrote:

That may be a side effect of that infamous Apple update slowing down devices with batteries that are getting old and worn out. In 2018 Apple did make a big retrofit promotion for fresh batteries. I am told batteries are also priced way down now, something below $30 rather than near $80.

PS. there are several class law suits filed cause of the way Apple sneaked in the slowdown in a recent iOS update.
That's possible but the slow downs were coming some time after the previous (and originally), the last update in 2017. As best as I can tell, the slowdowns are most noticible on pages with plenty of adverts, especially ones with multiple videos. This nearly 7 year old iPad just can't quite keep up. The old battery probably does not help.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm
I am looking at the iPhone 8+ or the XR. Does anyone have experience with these?
I have an iPhone 8+ (it replaced an iPhone 7+ which I smashed in a rental van's door).

I rarely use my iPhone for phone calls. I'm usually near my landline so that's the number I give out. I really bought the iPhone so that I would have computer access when I'm not near wi-fi. Because I mostly use it as a computer when I'm away from at home, and for doing crossword puzzles when in bed, I like the larger screen.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:10 pm
I have an iPhone 8+ (it replaced an iPhone 7+ which I smashed in a rental van's door).
:snippity:
My son has the 8+ and likes it. I think I could get used to the larger phone.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:10 pm

I have an 8. Works fine. I didn't want a larger phone. You get what you pay for. Unless you buy an IPhone. Then you pay 50% more than what you are getting.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm

I dropped my iPad Air and broke the glass early in the summer. I bought a repair kit but messed up the LCD trying to install it. I bought an iPad Air II to replace it so I will get the upgrade. I will probably replace my iPhone 6 soon but I haven't decided what I want next. I am looking at the iPhone 8+ or the XR. Does anyone have experience with these?
I have the XR. Big, but the balance is incredible. I have a heavy-duty protective case, so the sticky-outy camera lens isn't noticable at all (I thought that might be annoying, but no). The display is great--supposedly a step down from the XS, but you couldn't tell it by me. I got increased storage because the price was right. I can watch a tennis match or the news wherever I am (where there is wi-fi) and actually see the images. I love it.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:12 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm
I have the XR. Big, but the balance is incredible. :snippity:
I think I will get the XR. It has the latest processor too. It is only a buck or so more expensive per month than the 8 plus on the AT&T installment plan.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:25 pm

The bigger screens are handy for anyone who uses maps a lot. And of course, watching videos. With eyes of a certain age. :geek:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:36 pm

:yeah:

The maps performance is excellent. Nice to be able to see it.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Computers & Internet”