The Happy Things Thread

RoadScholar

Re: The Happy Things Thread

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:12 am

:clap: :dance: :towel:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:23 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:12 am
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Congratulations Poppa and big congrats to the Dotter too also! :thumbs:
Birfers are toast

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 am

Stern congrats to you both. She'll be terrifying.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 am
Stern congrats to you both. She'll be terrifying.
:lol:
Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

:clap: :thumbs:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:29 am

Congrats to Sterngardsdottir :thumbs:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Congrats, Stern! That kid is amazing. For a wahoo.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am

Best wishes to Stern and the kid :dance:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 am

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am

Sterngardsdottir has graduated!!???? Already! Wow!!! Congrats to papa and dottir! :bighug:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Immigrant twin brothers who picked grapes in California graduate from top medical schools together
<I am not able to post the video>

Octavio and Omar Viramontes, twin brothers from Mexico who picked grapes to support their family after they moved to California at the ages of the 10, just graduated from Harvard and the UCLA Medical school, one right after the other.
In an interview with the publication, the two brothers reflected on their journey and how they worked as grape pickers as children to help support their family upon their arrival to California.

"The first year it was tough. We hated it," Omar Viramontes told CBS News. "But we started to realize that we were doing this for a specific reason, and it was to help our family, to help each other."

But with the help of their parents, both brothers said they were able to develop a strong desire for education after being introduced to their local library.
The two would later go on to become top scholars in their schools, each graduating from high school as valedictorians.

For their undergraduate degrees, Omar Viramontes reportedly went to University of California San Diego and his brother went to Harvard, each on full scholarships.
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... california
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm

New York’s Tribute to the ‘Tombs Angel’: Lost, Found, Now Restored
A long-forgotten monument to a woman who helped inmates in New York’s infamous 19th-century jail is to be installed in a courthouse lobby.
No less a critic than Charles Dickens was appalled by the way New York in the 19th century housed its prisoners in the dank, overcrowded and smelly precincts of “the Tombs,” the city jail in lower Manhattan.

“Such indecent and disgusting dungeons as these cells, would bring disgrace upon the most despotic empire in the world!,” he wrote in 1842.

Yet into that dark world walked every day a woman who brought the inmates care, compassion and practical help. For these efforts, Rebecca Salome Foster, a volunteer who dedicated herself to humanitarian work after the death of her husband, came to be known as the “Tombs Angel.”

A sympathetic ear, a zeal to investigate their cases and a willingness to plead their cause with judges were among the blessings she brought to the prisoners, many of them poor, none of them yet convicted of the crimes with which they were charged.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/arts ... e=Homepage

A happy ending to a very sad story... :brokenheart:
Birfers are toast

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:52 am

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:31 pm

:lovestruck:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:46 pm

RVInit wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:31 pm
:lovestruck:
Dusty in here.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:54 pm

didn't know where to post this. thought it was kinda cool

Senator takes spontaneous roadtrip with strangers after canceled flight

Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) said Thursday that he chose to take a road-trip with four strangers who were also stranded in Washington after a cancelled flight.
"You got to be spontaneous," King said in an interview with USA Today. "You got to say 'hey, let's go for it.'"
“Takes me back — sharing the driving, trying to find music everyone likes, and chipping for gas,” he added.

The 75-year-old senator shared a photo of his crew shortly after passing Baltimore.

“Two software engineers, a college professor, a lawyer, and a U.S. Senator—what could possibly go wrong?” King wrote before introducing his travel companions. “Left to right, Rebecca Gibbons, Ramon Krikken, his own self, Matt Dusoe, and Tim Schneider.”

He told the outlet that he spent a lot of time asking questions and getting to know his fellow travelers.

"I was just drinking it in," King said. "Put me in a car with four strangers for 10 hours and I'm going to learn a lot."
<snip>"
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/449 ... led-flight

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:42 pm

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/trendin ... 05285.html
New York woman has been on 3-year road trip documenting acts of kindness
After Mary Latham’s mother died in 2013, the New York wedding photographer spent several years feeling adrift, wondering how long her emotions would feel so raw.

Her mind would routinely go back to something her mom, Patricia Latham, had told her after the 2012 Sandy Hook mass school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

“I’d been feeling terribly sad about it, and she said, ‘Mary, there are always going to be tragedies in the world, but there will always be more good — you just have to look for it,’” Latham, 32, recalled.

It took almost three years for Latham to truly understand what her mother meant. And to honor her mom’s legacy of looking for goodness, she came up with a plan: She would pack a suitcase with several changes of clothes and hit the road in her mom’s blue Subaru Outback to visit all 50 states in search of simple acts of kindness.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:48 am

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:28 am

Will Johnson @ArlingtonChief

At the start of the 4th of July Parade this young man ran out to help one of our Honor Guard members whose shoe came untied. Thank you Josh! We should all be so kind. I have a Chief Challenge coin for you. #America

12:56 pm - 4 Jul 2019

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 am

Emily Linka @emilylinka

Hi. Weird request but fuck it:

If you're disabled and in a happy, loving relationship, would you mind sharing a photo of you and your partner with me? Bonus points for wheelchair users & LGBT folk

Brain is finding it SO hard to imagine being loved in my chair.

Feel free to RT
1:36 PM - 6 Jul 2019

And people are answering her request:

My partner and I got engaged today. I’m an ambulatory wheelchair user but I use mobility aids full time, as well as needing him to be my part time carer and do everything from help me with dressing to feeding myself. He loves me in a way I thought no one could. It can happen

Been dating @digidiane for 24 years tbis August, married 14 Nov 5th. Love each other to bits & have done since we first met. Never found my wheelchair as a barrier to dating. If someone was put off then it's their loss & a lucky escape for me. Go out there & mingle, have fun.

This is me and @EilidhGClark. She pushes my chair, walks alongside my scooter, lets me use her for balance, helps me shower, is my full time carer...but she's also my fiancée, my best friend, and she pretends to marry me everytime we walk under an arbour at a garden centre ❤️

4 months ago I found out I was autistic. I also have CPTSD/chronic pain. My partner helps me through my meltdowns and sensory issues and is my advocate. 5 years and three kids. Married for four years. Met through Facebook. I asked him to fix my bike. He came over and never left.

Here's link to read the comments and see the photos if you can't click through the tweet above: https://twitter. com/emilylinka/status/1147605235675947010

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 pm

An autistic student with noise sensitivity gets a silent standing ovation at his graduation.

Image Image Image Image Image

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:15 pm

From the CNN article above:
"The students were amazing," Riolo said. "They are a class act and superseded expectations. For example them rising to their feet after Jack received his diploma was them. It was not preplanned and no one told them to act like that that. They felt compelled to show their support in that way. They made that amazing compassionate gesture on their own.

"I have been lucky and blessed to see some really remarkable things in my 31 year career but this so far has to be the most incredible. But as much as the students rose to the occasion so did Jack. Since Jack is very limited verbally, how overwhelming was if for him with a large crowd and expectation that it would be loud.? It was so brave of him to take that walk which must have seemed like forever and he did it with grace, class and strength."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Very very long article in one piece. May not be viewable on wireless connections. Contains a handful of hi-tech image viewers.
The battle to separate Safa and Marwa
By Rachael Buchanan

It’s the rarest form of a rare condition - conjoined twins, fused at the head.

The BBC has been granted exclusive access to a ground-breaking series of operations in a British hospital to separate two sisters.

https:// www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/PLNMqvmycN/conjoined-twins
It's BBC so may for some only be available thru VPN connection.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:32 pm
The battle to separate Safa and Marwa
Amazing, it got a bit dusty in here crowds the end of the story, but what a great story :lovestruck:
Birfers are toast

Return to “The Lounge”