The Happy Things Thread

Post Reply
User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 4985
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

The Happy Things Thread

#1

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I thought it would be nice to have a Happy Things thread where we can all post happy things as they happen along life’s way.

I’ll start with being very happy for and very proud of my stepdaughter, who is now Dr. Stepdaughter after working very hard to get her PsyD in psychology.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lovestruck:
Birfers are toast

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#2

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Our happy news: we just bought a sail boat. It's a 24 foot steel bilge and needs a lot of work in the saloon, but it'll be great for coastal cruising.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 8917
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#3

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:17 pm

maydijo wrote:Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Our happy news: we just bought a sail boat. It's a 24 foot steel bilge and needs a lot of work in the saloon, but it'll be great for coastal cruising.
Can you pick us up in Hawaii?
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 8917
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#4

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm

MsDaisy wrote:I thought it would be nice to have a Happy Things thread where we can all post happy things as they happen along life’s way.

I’ll start with being very happy for and very proud of my stepdaughter, who is now Dr. Stepdaughter after working very hard to get her PsyD in psychology.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lovestruck:
Bravo!!!! Now she can analyze all of the Fogbowzers based upon our comments. Seriously, that is a tough course of study! Congrats!!!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 4985
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#5

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm

maydijo wrote:Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Our happy news: we just bought a sail boat. It's a 24 foot steel bilge and needs a lot of work in the saloon, but it'll be great for coastal cruising.
Well I think a new sail boat is a pretty big happy too!
Birfers are toast

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#6

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)

User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 4985
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#7

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 pm

maydijo wrote:Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)
Okay that just made me shoot diet coke through my nose laughing because I know someone who fits that description, only she "cluelessly" bought a sail boat to live on, (still no idea where that came from) and she sold her house and everything!
Birfers are toast

Sunrise
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#8

Post by Sunrise » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm

maydijo wrote:Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)
Congrats on the boat. The real idiots are the ones who buy a boat without any sailing experience. IIRC you've mentioned actually sailing, so you'll know what you're doing. My ex owned a sailboat and we spent a lot of time helping rescue stupid people who thought they could navigate using their plastic placemats with maps which showed the area. Like from Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket. :brickwallsmall: :swoon:

And to MsDaisy, that's impressive! Congrats to you as well. :clap:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 22275
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#9

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
maydijo wrote:Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)
Okay that just made me shoot diet coke through my nose laughing because I know someone who fits that description, only she "cluelessly" bought a sail boat to live on, (still no idea where that came from) and she sold her house and everything!
I had a secretary once who lived on a boat with her husband. They had a plot of land on the water with a bulkhead where they docked the boat. No house. Just a mailbox.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

qbawl
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#10

Post by qbawl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 pm

maydijo wrote:Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Our happy news: we just bought a sail boat. It's a 24 foot steel bilge and needs a lot of work in the saloon, but it'll be great for coastal cruising.
Wow I know what you mean, I once tried to build a dinghy from plans in Popular Mechanics. Unfortunately all the time I spent in the saloon slowed the progress and after 23 years I gave up and made do with a Cutty Sark.

User avatar
kate520
Posts: 15668
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#11

Post by kate520 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Have fun on your, er, bilge. Just don't take it out into the shipping lanes. You might accidentally rescue a fisherman or something, and then you'll be obsessed when you realize just how many small boats get in real trouble from the wakes and then you'll have to go down there every day just to make sure you haven't missed anyone.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 28335
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#12

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:48 am

Today is the day I was scheduled for major knee surgery. Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. My Runkeeper app says I've walked 713.9 miles this year. If I hadn't kept turning around every couple miles, I would be in West Palm Beach today. :lol:

It's cloudy, misty, and 68°. I wish I was in West Palm Beach. :bag:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

User avatar
June bug
Posts: 6138
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Northern San Diego County

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#13

Post by June bug » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 am

Foggy wrote:Today is the day I was scheduled for major knee surgery. Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. My Runkeeper app says I've walked 713.9 miles this year. If I hadn't kept turning around every couple miles, I would be in West Palm Beach today. :lol:

It's cloudy, misty, and 68°. I wish I was in West Palm Beach. :bag:
What's up with you and West Palm Beach, Fogster? Got a hot date there or what???

User avatar
MsDaisy
Posts: 4985
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#14

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:58 am

Foggy wrote: :snippity:
Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. :lol:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good job Foggy, we'z proud of ya! :lovestruck:
Birfers are toast

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 21426
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#15

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:14 am

Foggy wrote:Today is the day I was scheduled for major knee surgery. Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. My Runkeeper app says I've walked 713.9 miles this year. If I hadn't kept turning around every couple miles, I would be in West Palm Beach today. :lol:

It's cloudy, misty, and 68°. I wish I was in West Palm Beach. :bag:
We've got a Florida Man thread around here for your reports ;)
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 9786
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#16

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am

:bar:

Did someone say happy hour

User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 3098
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#17

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 am

Congrats to all! I hope this thread gets to be 150 pages, too!

:-D

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#18

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:04 am

You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

Joey hasn't been handled in probably about a year, and his tail is so matted that it looks like a club. I've been working on trying to untangle it, but apparently there's a part of a sticker bush in there and I haven't had much luck, so it's getting cut out.

User avatar
kate520
Posts: 15668
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#19

Post by kate520 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:18 pm

:bighug:
Big heart!
Nice. :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

User avatar
SLQ
Posts: 2840
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#20

Post by SLQ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:26 pm

I listened to my "Fun" playlist on the way to work instead of the news. It's a start . . .
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

User avatar
SLQ
Posts: 2840
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#21

Post by SLQ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Azastan wrote:You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

Joey hasn't been handled in probably about a year, and his tail is so matted that it looks like a club. I've been working on trying to untangle it, but apparently there's a part of a sticker bush in there and I haven't had much luck, so it's getting cut out.
That's a wonderful thing, to rescue a horse. Just a Hail Mary idea. Would conditioner, (Mane & Tail?) help? I've used it before to get stuff out of kids' hair. If you use lots, it makes it much easier to comb through serious tangles, starting from the bottom.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

User avatar
Azastan
Posts: 3689
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#22

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

SLQ wrote:
Azastan wrote:You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

Joey hasn't been handled in probably about a year, and his tail is so matted that it looks like a club. I've been working on trying to untangle it, but apparently there's a part of a sticker bush in there and I haven't had much luck, so it's getting cut out.
That's a wonderful thing, to rescue a horse. Just a Hail Mary idea. Would conditioner, (Mane & Tail?) help? I've used it before to get stuff out of kids' hair. If you use lots, it makes it much easier to comb through serious tangles, starting from the bottom.
No, I've tried all the conditioners and it's just a horrible mass still. Normally the conditioners work quite well, but getting the hair wrapped around a sticker means it's almost impossible to untangle. I've seen some bad mats before, including one, incredibly, that was actually worse. That one was also cut out, and found to be knotted around a Himalayan blackberry stick.

He'll still have enough to wave at the flies, and fortunately, at least it's being done heading into fall/winter, so his tail will have a chance to grow out before next summer.

User avatar
HeatherGray
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 9:06 pm
Location: Colorado
Occupation: retired systems analyst

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#23

Post by HeatherGray » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Azastan wrote:
SLQ wrote:
Azastan wrote:You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

Joey hasn't been handled in probably about a year, and his tail is so matted that it looks like a club. I've been working on trying to untangle it, but apparently there's a part of a sticker bush in there and I haven't had much luck, so it's getting cut out.
That's a wonderful thing, to rescue a horse. Just a Hail Mary idea. Would conditioner, (Mane & Tail?) help? I've used it before to get stuff out of kids' hair. If you use lots, it makes it much easier to comb through serious tangles, starting from the bottom.
No, I've tried all the conditioners and it's just a horrible mass still. Normally the conditioners work quite well, but getting the hair wrapped around a sticker means it's almost impossible to untangle. I've seen some bad mats before, including one, incredibly, that was actually worse. That one was also cut out, and found to be knotted around a Himalayan blackberry stick.

He'll still have enough to wave at the flies, and fortunately, at least it's being done heading into fall/winter, so his tail will have a chance to grow out before next summer.
I once found a short strand of wire in the tail of the mare I was boarding for a friend. I cut it out.

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 5519
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#24

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:33 pm

kate520 wrote:Have fun on your, er, bilge. Just don't take it out into the shipping lanes. You might accidentally rescue a fisherman or something, and then you'll be obsessed when you realize just how many small boats get in real trouble from the wakes and then you'll have to go down there every day just to make sure you haven't missed anyone. collide with an Arleigh Burke class Guided Missle Destroyer.
FIFY
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
kate520
Posts: 15668
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: The Happy Things Thread

#25

Post by kate520 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:46 pm

:lol:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”