The Happy Things Thread

MsDaisy

The Happy Things Thread

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I thought it would be nice to have a Happy Things thread where we can all post happy things as they happen along life’s way.

I’ll start with being very happy for and very proud of my stepdaughter, who is now Dr. Stepdaughter after working very hard to get her PsyD in psychology.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lovestruck:
Birfers are toast

maydijo

Re: The Happy Things Thread

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Our happy news: we just bought a sail boat. It's a 24 foot steel bilge and needs a lot of work in the saloon, but it'll be great for coastal cruising.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:17 pm

maydijo wrote:Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Our happy news: we just bought a sail boat. It's a 24 foot steel bilge and needs a lot of work in the saloon, but it'll be great for coastal cruising.
Can you pick us up in Hawaii?
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:19 pm

MsDaisy wrote:I thought it would be nice to have a Happy Things thread where we can all post happy things as they happen along life’s way.

I’ll start with being very happy for and very proud of my stepdaughter, who is now Dr. Stepdaughter after working very hard to get her PsyD in psychology.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lovestruck:
Bravo!!!! Now she can analyze all of the Fogbowzers based upon our comments. Seriously, that is a tough course of study! Congrats!!!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:28 pm

maydijo wrote:Congratulations to her! That's huge happy news!!! I was thinking this would be more low key than that, like, I was 10 minutes late to my car but didn't get a parking ticket, but you've set the bar pretty high here.

Well I think a new sail boat is a pretty big happy too!
Birfers are toast

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 pm

maydijo wrote:Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)
Okay that just made me shoot diet coke through my nose laughing because I know someone who fits that description, only she "cluelessly" bought a sail boat to live on, (still no idea where that came from) and she sold her house and everything!
Birfers are toast

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm

maydijo wrote:Nah, any idiot can buy a boat. (And given the condition of this one, I'm thinking we're pretty big idiots.)
Congrats on the boat. The real idiots are the ones who buy a boat without any sailing experience. IIRC you've mentioned actually sailing, so you'll know what you're doing. My ex owned a sailboat and we spent a lot of time helping rescue stupid people who thought they could navigate using their plastic placemats with maps which showed the area. Like from Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket. :brickwallsmall: :swoon:

And to MsDaisy, that's impressive! Congrats to you as well. :clap:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Okay that just made me shoot diet coke through my nose laughing because I know someone who fits that description, only she "cluelessly" bought a sail boat to live on, (still no idea where that came from) and she sold her house and everything!
I had a secretary once who lived on a boat with her husband. They had a plot of land on the water with a bulkhead where they docked the boat. No house. Just a mailbox.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Wow I know what you mean, I once tried to build a dinghy from plans in Popular Mechanics. Unfortunately all the time I spent in the saloon slowed the progress and after 23 years I gave up and made do with a Cutty Sark.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Have fun on your, er, bilge. Just don't take it out into the shipping lanes. You might accidentally rescue a fisherman or something, and then you'll be obsessed when you realize just how many small boats get in real trouble from the wakes and then you'll have to go down there every day just to make sure you haven't missed anyone.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:48 am

Today is the day I was scheduled for major knee surgery. Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. My Runkeeper app says I've walked 713.9 miles this year. If I hadn't kept turning around every couple miles, I would be in West Palm Beach today. :lol:

It's cloudy, misty, and 68°. I wish I was in West Palm Beach. :bag:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:54 am

Foggy wrote:Today is the day I was scheduled for major knee surgery. Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. My Runkeeper app says I've walked 713.9 miles this year. If I hadn't kept turning around every couple miles, I would be in West Palm Beach today. :lol:

What's up with you and West Palm Beach, Fogster? Got a hot date there or what???

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:58 am

Foggy wrote: :snippity:
Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. :lol:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good job Foggy, we'z proud of ya! :lovestruck:
Birfers are toast

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:14 am

Foggy wrote:Today is the day I was scheduled for major knee surgery. Y'know, the knee surgery I don't need now because I walk 4 miles a day. My Runkeeper app says I've walked 713.9 miles this year. If I hadn't kept turning around every couple miles, I would be in West Palm Beach today. :lol:

We've got a Florida Man thread around here for your reports ;)
► Show Spoiler

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 am

:bar:

Did someone say happy hour

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:21 am

Congrats to all! I hope this thread gets to be 150 pages, too!

:-D

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:04 am

You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

Joey hasn't been handled in probably about a year, and his tail is so matted that it looks like a club. I've been working on trying to untangle it, but apparently there's a part of a sticker bush in there and I haven't had much luck, so it's getting cut out.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:18 pm

:bighug:
Big heart!
Nice. :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:26 pm

I listened to my "Fun" playlist on the way to work instead of the news. It's a start . . .
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Azastan wrote:You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

Joey hasn't been handled in probably about a year, and his tail is so matted that it looks like a club. I've been working on trying to untangle it, but apparently there's a part of a sticker bush in there and I haven't had much luck, so it's getting cut out.
That's a wonderful thing, to rescue a horse. Just a Hail Mary idea. Would conditioner, (Mane & Tail?) help? I've used it before to get stuff out of kids' hair. If you use lots, it makes it much easier to comb through serious tangles, starting from the bottom.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

SLQ wrote:
Azastan wrote:You are all setting high bars here, but my happy thing a week ago Sunday was giving a horse a badly needed home. His owner had surrendered him, along with three other horses, because the owner's girlfriend had died a couple of weeks earlier, and the owner himself was in hospital with MERSA and it was touch and go as to whether or not he would make it (he did, but is very fragile).

That's a wonderful thing, to rescue a horse. Just a Hail Mary idea. Would conditioner, (Mane & Tail?) help? I've used it before to get stuff out of kids' hair. If you use lots, it makes it much easier to comb through serious tangles, starting from the bottom.
No, I've tried all the conditioners and it's just a horrible mass still. Normally the conditioners work quite well, but getting the hair wrapped around a sticker means it's almost impossible to untangle. I've seen some bad mats before, including one, incredibly, that was actually worse. That one was also cut out, and found to be knotted around a Himalayan blackberry stick.

He'll still have enough to wave at the flies, and fortunately, at least it's being done heading into fall/winter, so his tail will have a chance to grow out before next summer.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Azastan wrote:
SLQ wrote:

No, I've tried all the conditioners and it's just a horrible mass still. Normally the conditioners work quite well, but getting the hair wrapped around a sticker means it's almost impossible to untangle. I've seen some bad mats before, including one, incredibly, that was actually worse. That one was also cut out, and found to be knotted around a Himalayan blackberry stick.

He'll still have enough to wave at the flies, and fortunately, at least it's being done heading into fall/winter, so his tail will have a chance to grow out before next summer.
I once found a short strand of wire in the tail of the mare I was boarding for a friend. I cut it out.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:33 pm

kate520 wrote:Have fun on your, er, bilge. Just don't take it out into the shipping lanes. You might accidentally rescue a fisherman or something, and then you'll be obsessed when you realize just how many small boats get in real trouble from the wakes and then you'll have to go down there every day just to make sure you haven't missed anyone. collide with an Arleigh Burke class Guided Missle Destroyer.
FIFY
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:46 pm

:lol:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “The Lounge”