life changes in an instant and you can't stop it.

sad-cafe

life changes in an instant and you can't stop it.

Post by sad-cafe »

Life changes in an instant and you can't change that.

I am a teacher. All I ever wanted to be was a teacher. In Kindergarten, the teacher asked us to draw a picture of what we wanted to be and I drew a picture of her.

After getting married and having a child, I put myself through college (using student loans) and I became that teacher.

I had many wonderful years of teaching and then I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease.

I have been in and out of the hospital several times a year but each time I got to go back to the classroom.

For a few years, it seemed like things were getting better in the Crohn's Disease area-until last week. The week before my 50'th birthday.

I got horribly sick from the Crohn's Disease and am suffering severe complications. One of those being a condition called C-Diff. As a result, I will be on short term leave of absense.

, I crapped my pants a lot in a classroom full of students, I tried to get help and couldn't- in that moment of panic and ran out of my classroom.

I put my job in jeopardy

I am so worried because without my job, I will be in bad shape

Life can change in an instant. Before November, I was working, paying down unnecessary bills and was down to one small credit card and a ridiculous student loan.

I took out the loan because the district said it needed Special Education Teachers and the loan would pay for itself over time. This did not happen as our state is locked into a freeze.

I am too sick to work but not sick enough for disability.

My immediate need was met (thank you online angels) fairly quickly. I was able to get enough in donations to pay three months of the STUDENT LOANS

I have tried to call the company NAVIENT and tell them my situation and that I don't know how long I wil be off -if I even get well enough to go back to work. They did not care at all.

I have 7-8 years left to work if my health allows. However, I don't think this is going to be successful. I am afraid that I will get sick again and maybe even die this time. Had I not gotten so sick in class, I would have collapsed that day or next, because I am pretty good at ignoring the pain and powering through.

I feel stuck because if it were not for the NAVIENT STUDENT LOANS I would be able to make better informed decisions and retire early. But, until the loans are taken care of I will continue to work sick and when I die, then NAVIENT can I guess take my life insurance as long as they leave my family enough money to bury me

I am asking for help. Not from those who are just barely making it themselves-but if the right people saw this maybe a miracle could happen.

If I ever get out of this mess, I will be aligning myself with the CCFA and help others that are in the same place I find myself in currently.

This world is cold and not many care. It is time we take care of each other. I promise that is my goal when this is over-if I live through it.

Thank you

https://www.gofundme.com/pamelas-crohns-disease-relief

SLQ

Re: life changes in an instant and you can't stop it.

Post by SLQ »

I'm truly sorry you're having such a difficult time. However, you should qualify for a short term forbearance or the Income-Based Repayment Plan. Also, federal student loans do not survive death. They are automatically cancelled. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/student- ... d=19460467 Private student loans are a different story, but may also be cancelled.

Also, your life insurance is not reachable by creditors. Life insurance passes outside of probate and goes directly to your loved ones, without going toward any debt.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

I'm surprised you are having so much trouble getting a deferment or reduction in your payments. My son is moving back home and made one call to his servicer to get a deferment. He can get up to 3 years until he finds a job, and this is his third deferment. I can't imagine that a change in income would ordinarily be easier than a medical issue.

Move up the chain of command from whoever it is answering the phone until you get satisfaction.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

That has been my son's experience, too. The first thing they do is put you into an automatic 2-month forbearance so you can get the other paperwork completed. The forbearance is done on the phone. They set my son up with $5 per month payments. They were very polite and helpful.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I guess I made some stupid choices. I tried to go through the education loans, and called a program . I am not in the right place due to the consolidation stuff back years ago that made things so affordable it is private loans now due to grad school and they are not the same as regular student loans I guess. I screwed myself.

When I talked to Navient, they said I had no more forbearances left. I told them I would call them again when I had no money at all.

But my pleas have stemmed the tide for the next couple months.

I guess I will go to work in diapers once the C-Diff is cleared just to keep paying them.

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Are these loans federal loans or through a private university program? Could make a difference in your options.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

If they are really private loans after being consolidated, you might be able to discharge them in bankruptcy.

It would be worth talking to a local bankruptcy lawyer to see what your options are.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Check with your local Legal Aid Society. Some handle BK and consumer/borrower cases.

The local or state BAR association may have pro bono or reduced cost attorneys for people who don't qualify for Legal Aid, but can't afford an attorney.

Also see if your state has a consumer protection agency.

When things turned very bad for me awhile back, I met with a BK attorney. It was a smart move. Although things improved for me so BK wasn't needed, I still use that advice in how I handle my finances so that if I die with debt, my estate will pass to my heir almost 100% outside of probate and creditor claims.

I know you've got a lot on your mind and are probably overwhelmed and depressed. I know I was during my health crisis. As can, research possible options and make some calls. If someone says they can't help, ask who can. Please don't assume that nothing can be done.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

After 5 months and several procedures and some med changes

doctors think I am doing better

I am scheduled to return to my classroom next month.

In Nov when I got so sick I really did not know what was going to happen.

For a long time I didn't know if I was even going to live and at times didn't even really care.

My friends here and from other places kept me sane but also kept me from losing everything.

I am scared that when I go back I will be harassed by admin because of all that happened but I just need to remember that I didn't ask to get so sick and really didn't know how sick I was.

I am so scared that it all might happen again but at least it will only be 9 weeks and I now know the procedures to get the help needed.

even though I live in a right to work state, I have always been a member of our union. Frankly the union saved my job and stood behind me.

When I get back on my feet physically and financially I will be donating my time and a monthly donation to the local homeless kitchen.

Today while walking in the park next to my home, there were more than 30 homeless hanging out in the park because it was sunny and warm. I took over some clothes that I had planned to take to Goodwill and gave them to some women that looked like they had nothing. They were scared at first. It seemed like they were prepared to be attacked or something. It breaks my heart.

I have 7-8 years till retirement (if brownback doesn't rob all of us first) When I retire I will be doing something to help the homeless community.

We in the USA have no business trying to police the world when we can't even be nice to the people that live here

From Nov-Jan I was seeing the doctor every week.

Thankful for the ACA I think I only paid a copay twice.

the procedures cost me 100 each x4

got the info from insurance yesterday. All of the things from Nov to now have added up to almost 200 grand. No way would I have been able to afford that. Alan Grayson was right if not for the ACA I would have been best to just die quickly.

In June, once I have finished the semester and gotten physically stronger I am going to search for ways to be a stronger part of the Resistance and help others in need!

I am also actively seeking a different building and position. I start shaking at the thought of going back to that classroom.

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Hektor

Post by Hektor »

:bighug: :bighug:

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
gotta keep fighting :boxing:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also, too your shaking at the thought of going into the classroom might mean your energy level is still low.

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

I am so glad to see that things have at least stabilized in your life, and will just tell you--go each day with a clear mind. Our minds can do so much damage to us. I used to spend nights dreading that such-and-such an event would take place, but when I would actually participate, nothing would happen!

So, positive thoughts, and keep us informed!

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Azastan wrote:I am so glad to see that things have at least stabilized in your life, and will just tell you--go each day with a clear mind. Our minds can do so much damage to us. I used to spend nights dreading that such-and-such an event would take place, but when I would actually participate, nothing would happen!

So, positive thoughts, and keep us informed!
:yeah: and also :grouphug: We are all rooting for you. I'm so glad you gave us an update, it's good to hear things are looking up. Take care of yourself. We are here for you.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Hang in there, SC. :bighug:

I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!

Return to “The Lounge”