Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:53 pm
Thanks Sugar. Mrs. G says biscochitos for everyone.
Did that do the trick?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:48 pm

I once had an amazing machine, a Singer Featherweight. Loves that Thing. Lost it when we had a fire.

I saw one today in the local Facebook marketplace. $450. Did I like it THAT much?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 pm

Sugar, She won't get back to her machine until Thursday. She bought a couple pairs of pants for her father that needed to be hemmed up. Her White sounded horrible so she tried to use her mother's Brother PS-1700 without a manual with mixed results. Her first attempt ended up being a zigzag stitch and her second had the top thread tension too tight. I found some manuals for other Brother models online and we pieced together what the settings should likely be.

After the marginal results with the first pair of pants we decided to clean and oil her White 742 that she bought new back in 1973. We got it to finally turn freely, but she got fatigued before cleaning and oiling the shuttle. It still makes a metallic clicking sound each time the needle cycles. She appreciates the suggestion of running some fabric through it to check the stitch pattern and see if it quiets down. The manual suggests using kerosene to get the gum cleaned out, let it dry thoroughly and then oil it.

Will let you know. Thanks again.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:05 am

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 pm
Sugar, She won't get back to her machine until Thursday. She bought a couple pairs of pants for her father that needed to be hemmed up. Her White sounded horrible so she tried to use her mother's Brother PS-1700 without a manual with mixed results. Her first attempt ended up being a zigzag stitch and her second had the top thread tension too tight. I found some manuals for other Brother models online and we pieced together what the settings should likely be.

After the marginal results with the first pair of pants we decided to clean and oil her White 742 that she bought new back in 1973. We got it to finally turn freely, but she got fatigued before cleaning and oiling the shuttle. It still makes a metallic clicking sound each time the needle cycles. She appreciates the suggestion of running some fabric through it to check the stitch pattern and see if it quiets down. The manual suggests using kerosene to get the gum cleaned out, let it dry thoroughly and then oil it.

Will let you know. Thanks again.
Aha, "a metallic clicking sound " helps! Take the needle out completely and either re-seat it or put a new one in. Screws, just like springs (the reason you should always store your machine with the foot down) have a way of "relaxing", for lack of a better way to put it, over a period of time and even a fraction of a centimeter difference in the depth of the needle will make a clicking noise even if it is making stitches. If it's been sitting up a while you might also want to run a piece of dental floss through the tension discs a few times, both open and closed to clear any petrified thread fibers that might be lurking.

What?!? You think dental floss isn't a sewing notion? Easiest way in the world to get perfect gathers and works in a pinch if you have no stay tape, and is one of the better (and cheaper) options for secure beading in addition to cleaning the tension discs. And the empty container is perfect for taking thread on an airplane if you don't want to worry about your scissors being confiscated.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:26 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:05 am

What?!? You think dental floss isn't a sewing notion? Easiest way in the world to get perfect gathers and works in a pinch if you have no stay tape, and is one of the better (and cheaper) options for secure beading in addition to cleaning the tension discs. And the empty container is perfect for taking thread on an airplane if you don't want to worry about your scissors being confiscated.
Been using dental floss to sew on buttons for decades but I like the empty container idea.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Okay, this may need some repair/adjustment by a pro.

We took out the needle and ran it. Got the cyclic clicking/tapping sound.

We took out the bobbin and shuttle; same results. Isolating the sound it is coming from the "sled" that the feed dogs sit on (the sled travels in a circular motion). When the feed dogs are as close to the sewer as they come, the sled appears to contact another piece of metal. This is what is creating the metallic clicking/tapping noise. We checked to see if any of the nearby screws are missing or loose, but none are missing or loose.

I'm uneasy about disassembling anything to investigate the problem further. From the parts descriptions I provided above, it is easy to tell I'm not a sewing machine mechanic.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:35 pm

If you disassemble it, have someone take video while you describe each step, then you can at least reassemble it.
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:38 pm

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
Image Image Image Image Image

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:38 pm
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
:nooo: GAWD NO!!! What are you thinking?

My wife has had that sewing machine 9 years longer than I've been around.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:22 pm
Okay, this may need some repair/adjustment by a pro.

We took out the needle and ran it. Got the cyclic clicking/tapping sound.

We took out the bobbin and shuttle; same results. Isolating the sound it is coming from the "sled" that the feed dogs sit on (the sled travels in a circular motion). When the feed dogs are as close to the sewer as they come, the sled appears to contact another piece of metal. This is what is creating the metallic clicking/tapping noise. We checked to see if any of the nearby screws are missing or loose, but none are missing or loose.

I'm uneasy about disassembling anything to investigate the problem further. From the parts descriptions I provided above, it is easy to tell I'm not a sewing machine mechanic.
Drop the feed dogs and oil that area. Let it sit a minute or two then raise the feed dogs back up and run it for a minute.

Your manual will tell you how to drop the feed dogs or put it on "darn" setting. I have a relatively new machine that absolutely does not like me raising or lowering the feed dogs, and just wants to stay wherever they already are. Sometimes I have to bump the little switch on mine back and forth a couple of times before I convince it to behave. My 50s era Singer has a lever on the front that requires nothing less than brute force. I almost gave up on it before realizing it was just tooky.

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:06 pm

We ran the machine with the top cover plate of the open arm removed. There is a knob with settings of 0, 1, 2 for embroidery, regular fabric, and heavy fabric that lowers and raises the feed dogs. This is a smooth adjustment. The feed dogs are attached to a flat plat (feed bar) and it appears that the noise is coming from beneath the feed bar. The feed bar brings the feed dogs from their down position towards the sewist, then up to "grab" the fabric, and away. It is when the feed bar is closest to the sewist that the tapping sound is made. It is like the feed bar is slightly out of position and tapping another piece of metal in its circular/elliptical path.

Mrs. Gneiss has never taken the White in for service or repair since purchasing it for over $700 in 1974. She had a Singer before, but really wanted the quality and open arm of the White 742.

BTW....I did check the feed bar at several points along its circular path for any play and everything is snug. I can take some photos (and if I'm smart enough) a short video with everything open and the machine running if you think that would be helpful in diagnosing a problem. I think Mrs. G is resigned to taking it to a repair shop for an inspection, cleaning, [repair], and complete oiling of the machine. She misses sewing with it, esp. after several failed attempts to get her mother's Brother PS-1700 to produce a clean stitch (the manual appears to have vanished and her folks are now in assisted living).

ETA: It sounds like the White 742 in this YouTube video, only a bit louder.

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:16 pm

Mrs. Gneiss wanted me to say thanks to all the suggestions regarding how to calm the chattering in her White. She hadn't done much sewing the last few years because of arthritis in her hands, but she used to be an avid sewer. About 18 or so years ago she made her family 6 quilts for Christmas. While rummaging through her fabrics tonight, she found a bag that contained the quilt she made for her dad.

Here are some photos I took tonight. My apology to Mrs. G. My photos don't do her quilt justice.

A single panel with a black center that starts the spiral "patchwork."
Panel.JPG
and the front and back.
Quilt.JPG
Back.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 am

What a fabulously happy quilt! Good job, Mrs G!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 am

Love those colors!!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am

Wow!
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 am

Nice!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 am

All of a sudden, I have a HUGE influx of t-shirt quilts to make. Nine in hand, 3 more due to be dropped off today. Only 2 and 1/2 and 1/2 actually finished piecing but not quilted yet, and they are all due by the end of April.

Pray for me.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 am
What a fabulously happy quilt! Good job, Mrs G!
Yes! A festival of colors!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:20 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 am
All of a sudden, I have a HUGE influx of t-shirt quilts to make. Nine in hand, 3 more due to be dropped off today. Only 2 and 1/2 and 1/2 actually finished piecing but not quilted yet, and they are all due by the end of April.

Pray for me.
Like private law practice - feast and famine. May the Goddess of Boundless Energy shower you with zest throughout your project journey. :pray: :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 am

Wow beautiful colors in that quilt, great job :thumbs:
Birfers are toast

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 pm

So this is my new obsession that combines my love of sewing, vintage textiles and upcycling clothing. A 1975 wedding dress refashioned into a christening gown, Everything but the ribbon and the bodice lining is from the original dress and it sold 12 minutes after I posted it on facebook. I wasn't actually trying to sell it but I'm not going to turn down a sale.

My mother thinks I'm weird for working on tedious, fiddly stuff when I'm stressing, but that's just about the only time I do any hand-stitching at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:07 pm

Damn, that needs ironing something fierce.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Beautiful, like all the rest of your work. :clap:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm
Beautiful, like all the rest of your work. :clap:
Thank you! It was truly a labor of love, considering I was working with satin and silk chiffon, both of which are way down on my list of favorite fabrics to play with.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:51 pm

That's an absolutely beautiful dress! Lovely work.

Return to “The Lounge”