Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Slim Cognito

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm

jmj wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:11 pm
I've been playing around with leather work a little bit recently. I made myself a 'stitching clam' for holding the leather while I hand stitch it. It sits between your legs and you put the leather between the jaws and squeeze with your legs to hold it tight so that both hands are free for stitching:
stitching-clam.jpg
Here's a wet-molded knife sheath for the straight sloyd knife that I use for spoon carving:
knife-sheath.jpg
And a passport wallet:
passport-wallet.jpg

I'm still just a tinkerer, but it's a lot of fun.
I like it!
ImageImageImage x4

Jez

Post by Jez » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:44 pm

I am the proud new owner of a White model 1855 which I picked up for $25. It was so cheap because the timing is off, which isn't that difficult to adjust.

Yay me!

Now to find a quilting foot for this model.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Jez wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:44 pm
I am the proud new owner of a White model 1855 which I picked up for $25. It was so cheap because the timing is off, which isn't that difficult to adjust.

Yay me!

Any generic low-shank foot will fit it. If it has the snap on feet don't worry about it. A new foot will come with the ankle attached so it won't matter the size or placement of the foot bar.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:15 am

:rotflmao:
If one had never used a sewing machine before, your comment would be utterly baffling, Sugar. :dazed:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:34 am

kate520 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:15 am
If one had never used a sewing machine before, your comment would be utterly baffling, Sugar. :dazed:
The foot bone connected to the ankle bone.....

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:07 am

kate520 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:15 am
:o Like a chirurg speaking about surgery :shock:

:lol:

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Just tested the machine to see how off the timing is. It's not. What I think happened was he had the tension way up on 6/7 when he tested it, so it was pulling the bobbin correctly.

I changed it to 4, loaded some thread and the bobbin that was in there and it sewed just fine. Nice even stitches. Nothing seemed to be pulling. Small issue with zig zag stitches, but I almost never use those.

So, overall, very happy with my $25 investment.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:32 pm

:thumbs:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Most excellent, Jez. :bighug:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Jez wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:31 pm
Just tested the machine to see how off the timing is. It's not. What I think happened was he had the tension way up on 6/7 when he tested it, so it was pulling the bobbin correctly.

I changed it to 4, loaded some thread and the bobbin that was in there and it sewed just fine. Nice even stitches. Nothing seemed to be pulling. Small issue with zig zag stitches, but I almost never use those.

Pat yourself on the back, Jez... you instinctively followed a scheme which has eluded many buyers of machines from backhoes to motorcycles to microscopes, but which painful lessons eventually teach:

1) Old machines are often very good machines.
2) Avoid ones with missing parts or needing substantial repair.
3) Especially if the machine is not rare. Just move on.
4) Look for machines the seller thinks has problems, but you can see they aren’t actually severe.
5) This strategy will often yield a very good machine at a bargain price.

You’d be surprised how few buyers accept this advice. So: kudos! You did good! :clap:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 pm
Jez wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Pat yourself on the back, Jez... you instinctively followed a scheme which has eluded many buyers of machines from backhoes to motorcycles to microscopes, but which painful lessons eventually teach:

1) Old machines are often very good machines.
2) Avoid ones with missing parts or needing substantial repair.
3) Especially if the machine is not rare. Just move on.
4) Look for machines the seller thinks has problems, but you can see they aren’t actually severe.
5) This strategy will often yield a very good machine at a bargain price.

You’d be surprised how few buyers accept this advice. So: kudos! You did good! :clap:
:thumbs: Yay. Now, post some photos when you make something!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Jez wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:59 pm
I've been itching to do something crafty lately. Then I saw a post on FB from a friend about a "Temperature scarf". Basic premise is you take the daily temp for a year and crochet or knit one row for each day. The color you use depends on the High/Low/Average (depending on which you decide to use).
I thought of you when I saw an article in today's Minneapolis StarTribune - Twin Cities crafters reflect climate change with 'temperature' blankets and scarves. You might find the article interesting.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm
Jez wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:59 pm
I've been itching to do something crafty lately. Then I saw a post on FB from a friend about a "Temperature scarf". Basic premise is you take the daily temp for a year and crochet or knit one row for each day. The color you use depends on the High/Low/Average (depending on which you decide to use).
I thought of you when I saw an article in today's Minneapolis StarTribune - Twin Cities crafters reflect climate change with 'temperature' blankets and scarves. You might find the article interesting.

For some reason, the first time I hit your link I got the home page of the paper. So I just have one question:

MEAT AUCTIONS??
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Off Topic
Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 pm
For some reason, the first time I hit your link I got the home page of the paper. So I just have one question:

MEAT AUCTIONS??
Not meat auctions. Meat raffles.

That was an interesting article - The meat raffle: Everything you need to know about Minnesota's weirdest bar game.

Basically, a large number of VFWs and American Legions (there may be others) have meat raffles to raise money for charities. A typical raffle has 30 tickets for $1 each. When all 30 tickets are sold, a number is selected. The winner gets their choice of meat from a container of meats. Often the meat is from a local butcher.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

vic

Post by vic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:56 pm
Off Topic
Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 pm

MEAT AUCTIONS??
Not meat auctions. Meat raffles.

That was an interesting article - The meat raffle: Everything you need to know about Minnesota's weirdest bar game.

Basically, a large number of VFWs and American Legions (there may be others) have meat raffles to raise money for charities. A typical raffle has 30 tickets for $1 each. When all 30 tickets are sold, a number is selected. The winner gets their choice of meat from a container of meats. Often the meat is from a local butcher.
Off Topic
Andrew Zimmern's Minnesota episode of Bizarre Eats shows a meat raffle (around the 20:20 mark):

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 pm

I used to paint quite a bit but not so much now (arthritis). I was never a great artist, my stuff arcs towards whimsical. I usually paint pictures of all my pets and dug out my supplies to immortalize our newest baby, Gilda, named after the national treasure that was Gilda Radner (we also have two Chinese Cresteds named Goldie and Gracie). All rescues, natch.
Gilda.jpg
You may look at this and say there's no way that's a real dog. It might not be a perfect likeness but I assure you that's Gilda. She's half Yorkshire Terrier and half Crestie. We call her a Crested Yorkie.
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:14 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:15 pm
I used to paint quite a bit but not so much now (arthritis). I was never a great artist, my stuff arcs towards whimsical. I usually paint pictures of all my pets and dug out my supplies to immortalize our newest baby, Gilda, named after the national treasure that was Gilda Radner (we also have two Chinese Cresteds named Goldie and Gracie). All rescues, natch.

Gilda.jpg

You may look at this and say there's no way that's a real dog. It might not be a perfect likeness but I assure you that's Gilda. She's half Yorkshire Terrier and half Crestie. We call her a Crested Yorkie.
► Show Spoiler
So cute! I think my cats are bigger than your dog! :lol:
Birfers are toast

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:23 pm

I bought a plain twin size quilt from Target and appliquéd it for my granddaughter. She loves Olaf. The backside is bright pink, she loves pink too. It's a lot harder than I thought to appliqué a quit that has already been quilted and not sew through to the other side.

IMG_4881.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birfers are toast

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:02 pm

No reason not to sew through the whole thing. Bright pink bobbin thread and you would have just seen the outline. And you did a fabulous job on it! Props to you for the handwork.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:02 pm
No reason not to sew through the whole thing. Bright pink bobbin thread and you would have just seen the outline. And you did a fabulous job on it! Props to you for the handwork.
Dang I didn't even think of that! Sure would have been a lot easier :thumbs:
Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:51 am

Ms Daisy, the applique work is wonderful. I love it!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Jez wrote:

Yay me!

Mrs. Gneiss has a White 742 that has set idle for quite a while (at least 3 years) and is making loud noises now. Other than a good cleaning and oiling where the manual indicates would the timing be the problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Mr. Gneiss wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:39 pm
Jez wrote:

Yay me!

Mrs. Gneiss has a White 742 that has set idle for quite a while (at least 3 years) and is making loud noises now. Other than a good cleaning and oiling where the manual indicates would the timing be the problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Good cleaning and oiling and running fabric through for a few minutes should do it. Clunking and weird noises after sitting up are almost always a result of stuff just getting stove up and not anything mechanical. If the cleaning and oiling and sewing don't fix it, come back and tell us what the noise sounds like and what the stitches look like.

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks Sugar. Mrs. G says biscochitos for everyone.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Also, too, there are a ton of videos on youtube about the proper way to clean and oil your machine, if you're not sure how to do it. One big no-no is don't blow into it with your mouth, and don't use compressed air. If you see lint jammed in there, go after it with your little cleaning brush, a long needle, or a pair of tweezers. Blowing into it with your mouth introduces moisture which can cause rust, and compressed air can blow lint farther in and you'll never get it out.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “The Lounge”