Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Foggy

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Foggy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:08 pm

OMG those are both incredible, Sugar M. :lovestruck:

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm
Both are absolutely gorgeous!
:yeah: :clap: :clap: :clap:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Oh my yes. Scrumptious! (is that still a word?)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat May 26, 2018 3:28 am

The Buckeye is gorgeous.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat May 26, 2018 4:51 am

Wow!

ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat May 26, 2018 5:00 am

Thanks, y'all. Cutting and stitching all that keeps my mind occupied just enough to follow the pattern and not wander off into too much actual thinking. It's great therapy right now, but I'm producing an ever-larger stack of finished tops. I'll have to start doing the actual quilting on them soon or I'll die like every other quilter with a pile of crap my kids have to figure out what to do with.

The Buckeye took about 12-15 hours total, including the additional borders. The Passages took about 6-8 hours, so even making the big complicated one doesn't take up more than a few days at most, working several hours a day. I've ordered some more optical illusion kind of patterns because they require a little more concentration to work on and I desperately need the distraction right now.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat May 26, 2018 6:37 am

How long will the actual quilting take for each of these two quilts?

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat May 26, 2018 9:43 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:37 am
How long will the actual quilting take for each of these two quilts?
1-2 hours for the small one, maybe 4-5 hours for the larger one. Another 1-2 hours each to cut, press and apply the binding.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat May 26, 2018 12:24 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 pm
Oh my yes. Scrumptious! (is that still a word?)
Yep. And absolutely appropriate.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

WriteItDown

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Cluboo

Post by WriteItDown » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 am

Hi all

I am making curtains to replace the horrible ones that were in my living room when I moved into my house. I love a beautiful cotton that is meant for quilting but I would want to line it with a light-medium-weight fabric. Do you have any suggestions?

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Cluboo

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:34 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:50 am
Hi all

I am making curtains to replace the horrible ones that were in my living room when I moved into my house. I love a beautiful cotton that is meant for quilting but I would want to line it with a light-medium-weight fabric. Do you have any suggestions?
Muslin. Bleached or unbleached, and it comes in a zillion widths.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 pm

So I am currently working on some partially finished vintage quilts and loving it. One of the tops was finished and only needed quilting (a six-pointed star block on point), one was a bag full of arcs and cut, but unpieced, pieces (a double wedding ring), and one was a mostly completed top (Joseph's Coat pattern) that needed a ton of repairs and stabilizing.

I am really proud of the way these are turning out so far.

The arc on the double wedding ring wasn't the same on any 2 of the patches, so there was a lot of fiddly scrooching to make them fit. The 1/2 square triangle settings are new reproduction fabric, as is the red inner frame and the white on white background. Everything else is original. The serpentine border is just to make it larger and use up the last few arcs.

The Joseph's Coat was very unstable so it took me several days to decide how to stabilize it. I finally decided to applique it to a full muslin backing and treat the whole thing as the top. It still needs to be sandwiched and quilted but I'm much more confident that it's stable and won't fall apart while I'm working on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 pm

‘Fiddley scrooching’
:lol: :lol: :bighug:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am

I've found making stuff helps me cope with current events better than anything so when I found a blank Raggedy Ann doll at the thrift store, I added some scraps, and black feathers, and made my daughter a Maleficent Raggedy Ann. She's always had a soft spot for Ann and has wanted to dress for Halloween like Angelina Jolie's Maleficent since the movie came out. Her beau even built the mechanism for the wings, but they decided it was too heavy and no party would have room for her to open it. Hopefully she'll like this.

I split the difference between Jolie's pants and long skirt. I didn't want to completely cover Anne's stripped stockings. I like the flow of a full skirt so I did it 50s style, pants with an open skirt.
Malificent Raggedy Ann.jpg
Poor Ann had to suffer the indignity of two small metal dowel rods running from the horns through her head down to her backside, but it stabilized well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am

:thumbs:

I really like that! Very creative!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:12 am

That is gorgeous, and very clever.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:07 pm

:thumbs: I love it! Creative and very well done. I love that you saved the striped legs, it just isn't Ann without them!

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 am

Again, crafting is my best escape from our current political situation. I'd recently made a paper maché Audrey 2 prop for a Little Shop of Horrors party and was smitten enough to make a puppet. The prop sits in a vintage Maxwell House coffee can. For the puppet's can/pot, I cut up a vinyl placement and covered it with a label printed on photo paper then laminated. Audrey is mostly felt, hot glue and craft paint.

I was unable to master the mechanics for the puppet's mouth but the two long leaves are animated with ring finger and thumb. I'm taking the puppet to Comicon in Tampa next month. I'll dress as Seymour in his blue striped pajamas.

Now I need another project. I'm thinking Young Frankenstein.

new audrey.jpg
Audrey 2.jpg

ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 am

Very cool!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Wow - that looks great! I am doing crafty things too, it does help me keep my sanity. I should try to remember to take some photos and post them.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Neat! Those are very nicely done.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:47 pm

Beautiful stuff, gang. A pleasure to see. :-D

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Got a call yesterday morning from a local number, but I didn't answer it because who calls on July 4th from a number I don't recognize? She left a message though, and I've been named "outstanding MS quilter" by the state quilting organization. I have to go to Corinth in Oct for some sort of ceremony (invite your friends and family, she said) and something-something about an exhibit at the Ag museum next spring. She said she'll have more details later. No idea who nominated me.

And when I got in the studio this morning, the stuff that has been in the show in Greenville had been returned after the show came down, minus the pieces I sold and the $1500 check for my cut of the sales. I sold 2 on opening night but didn't know any more had sold during the run of the show. I took us all out to lunch at, wait for it, DENNY'S! No shit. My studio mate loves their fried chicken salad and I gave her the choice of where to go. The pot roast didn't suck.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm
Got a call yesterday morning from a local number, but I didn't answer it because who calls on July 4th from a number I don't recognize? She left a message though, and I've been named "outstanding MS quilter" by the state quilting organization. I have to go to Corinth in Oct for some sort of ceremony (invite your friends and family, she said) and something-something about an exhibit at the Ag museum next spring. She said she'll have more details later. No idea who nominated me.

And when I got in the studio this morning, the stuff that has been in the show in Greenville had been returned after the show came down, minus the pieces I sold and the $1500 check for my cut of the sales. I sold 2 on opening night but didn't know any more had sold during the run of the show. I took us all out to lunch at, wait for it, DENNY'S! No shit. My studio mate loves their fried chicken salad and I gave her the choice of where to go. The pot roast didn't suck.
Congrats!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm

That's awesome, but not surprising. Although I can't check your work by lifting the corner with white gloves, it looks incredible via photographs.[imgwidth=][/imgwidth]

Return to “The Lounge”