Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Around here, long arm quilting runs 1.5 cents per square inch, so a 90 x 108 king would be around $150. That is for an edge to edge pantograph and batting. Backing, trimming and binding are extra, as is a custom or hand-guided quilting pattern. That can go up as high as 5 cents per square inch for dense hand-guided quilting. Occasionally you'll run into a quilter who charges by the bobbin (that's how most hand quilters charge) or charge extra for specialty threads.

Kaffe Fassett has never really grabbed my interest for his patterns or fabrics, but his backstory about how he designs is sort of interesting. I've seen him in public settings and met him a couple of times, and his attitude is a complete turn-off for me. I do love the colors, but not the hand, of his shot cottons though. They look wonderful combined with some of the Aboriginal fabrics from Australia.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm
Kaffe Fassett has never really grabbed my interest for his patterns or fabrics, but his backstory about how he designs is sort of interesting. I've seen him in public settings and met him a couple of times, and his attitude is a complete turn-off for me. I do love the colors, but not the hand, of his shot cottons though. They look wonderful combined with some of the Aboriginal fabrics from Australia.
:eek2: Google imaged his stuff. That’s a lot of look. :shock:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:41 pm

I can imagine that Kaffe’s popularity has made him into quite a know-it-all. I do love some of his fabrics but not others. His knitting designs are quite good. My first knitting project was one of his sweaters. It was a complex intarsia one. I had no idea what I was doing but it came out okay. It was just sized wrong and I swim in it. It was so much work that I can’t bear to throw it. :o

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:34 pm

My first knitting project; a Kaffe Fassett pattern. My rendition does not do it justice?
F166BA6F-C4A7-4659-81DC-9ED4C60C3D9C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:04 am

WriteItDown wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:34 pm
My first knitting project; a Kaffe Fassett pattern. My rendition does not do it justice?F166BA6F-C4A7-4659-81DC-9ED4C60C3D9C.jpeg
You do excellent work! That could not have been an easy one to knit.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am

Hi

Has anyone tried the knitting technique entrelac? I had never heard of it. I googled it and the items made by this technique are interesting and pretty.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 am

WriteItDown wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am
Hi

Has anyone tried the knitting technique entrelac? I had never heard of it. I googled it and the items made by this technique are interesting and pretty.
Yes. It takes a little practice if you are going to make something wearable, like a top or sweater. The last stitch of one color (or square) can easily get stretched larger than the rest of the stitches, so the edge stitches of each block can end up looking less than professional.

One thing that can really help - learn to knit backwards. In entrelac you are turning turning turning turning. Constantly. So, learning to knit backwards when you get to the end of a row will save you a great deal of time. I recommend a good book or even better, a class. YouTube probably has some videos, but I have never checked myself so I can't recommend any in particular. If you are a member of Craftsy, there is a very good entrelac class taught by Gwen Bortner. Her class is excellent and she does a good job of teaching backwards knitting, especially if you haven't done it before, she has a really good method of checking to make sure you are doing it right. She also addresses the loose edge problem in the class IIRC.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:05 pm

RVinit
It sounds pretty difficult and complex. By knitting backwards do you mean from the right needle to the left? :confused:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:25 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:05 pm
RVinit
It sounds pretty difficult and complex. By knitting backwards do you mean from the right needle to the left? :confused:
You got it, exactly. Here is a video that talks about entrelac and why and how to knit backwards

This next video shows someone just turning her work without knitting backwards, but she mentions that you can knit backward instead of turning like she's doing. Egads. This is an item that is being worked in the round, but even for those you do back and forth knitting. If you look at the video you will see why. You are knitting base triangles first, which look like a royal mess and you will swear you messed up. Then, after the base triangles are knitted, you pick up stitches on the triangles to make all the rectangles that are slanted. They are slanted because you started with triangles. But you aren't really knitting one row at a time, you are working one unit at a time - either triangles for the beginning or rectangles for the rest. Tiers is probably the term more often used - you knit tiers, not rows. That is why even when you knit "in the round" for entrelac, you are still doing back and forth knitting, hence all the turning.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun May 13, 2018 11:35 am

I tried something new and made a pendant. Now have to get or make a chain for it.

20 gauge copper wire
28 gauge copper wire
8 mm bead
liver of sulfur (to add a patina)

HA!! The woman on YouTube made it look so easy. Mine isn't quite as spiffy as hers, and the wire bends too easily so you see every kink that got added when struggling to push the end of the wire into the too small space under the bead, which messed up more than one nice gorgeous curve I had managed to achieve prior to pushing it through. Oh, well. I don't think it's too bad for a first try, but I might not allow anyone to inspect it too closely. And no fair looking at the back of it! :lol:

It took about 45 minutes with having to stop the video periodically in order to complete a particular task.
PendantOneSmaller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pm

I love it.

I'm tackling a paper mache Audrey II for an upcoming Little Shop of Horrors party. Even found the vintage Maxwell House Coffee can on ebay.

ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 13, 2018 5:04 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:35 am
I tried something new and made a pendant. Now have to get or make a chain for it.

20 gauge copper wire
28 gauge copper wire
8 mm bead
liver of sulfur (to add a patina)

HA!! The woman on YouTube made it look so easy. Mine isn't quite as spiffy as hers, and the wire bends too easily so you see every kink that got added when struggling to push the end of the wire into the too small space under the bead, which messed up more than one nice gorgeous curve I had managed to achieve prior to pushing it through. Oh, well. I don't think it's too bad for a first try, but I might not allow anyone to inspect it too closely. And no fair looking at the back of it! :lol:

It took about 45 minutes with having to stop the video periodically in order to complete a particular task.

PendantOneSmaller.jpg
I love this!!!!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 pm
I love it.

I'm tackling a paper mache Audrey II for an upcoming Little Shop of Horrors party. Even found the vintage Maxwell House Coffee can on ebay.
I cheated and just found a relatively clear label, printed it off and glued it to a can. No way they were paying the ebay + shipping cost for something that people would see from 50 ft away. I do have to say that Audrey was one of my favorite costumes though. The Audrey in the pot was especially fun figuring out how to give the actor 3 arms.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun May 13, 2018 5:22 pm

:thumbs:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun May 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Can't believe I forgot to post this!
GAC’s new gallery boasts a variety of unique pieces

By Kristina Norman/knorman@ddtonline.com

Linda Tankersley, left, admires a quilt by Bottletree Studios artist Rhonda Blasingame, right, at Friday’s opening reception of The Artists at Bottletree Studios exhibit at E.E. Bass Cultural Center

A little bit of everything can be found at the Greenville Arts Council’s newest exhibit.

The Artists at Bottletree Studios exhibit, which opened Friday with a reception inside the Roger D. Malkin Gallery at the E.E. Bass Cultural Arts Center, features a vast array of works, including both 2D and 3D pieces created by Jackson-based artists Anne Campbell, Rhonda Blasingame, Monique Davis, Ellen Langford and Diane Williams.

Melanie Tucker, a local artist whose work was previously featured at the Jackson studio, said one of her favorite pieces in the gallery was Langford’s painting depicting a young African-American boy looking at the Stennis flag, which could possibly become the future flag of Mississippi.

“I love all of Ellen’s work but I’m really focused on this flag,” said Tucker, who is sponsoring this exhibit with her husband, Craig.

Ted Lamar also admired Langford’s paintings, especially the ones featuring Labrador retrievers. One in particular he loved shows what appears to be the owner with his hands splayed out with the dog before them and its paws on their knees.

“I’ve seen that look before,” he said. “See how open she is and he just said, ‘I’ll be there whenever you need me.’”

Several of the featured artists were in attendance at Friday’s opening reception, including Davis, whose drawings are influenced by the Harlem Renaissance combined with AfroPunk imagery. Although she has several pieces in this exhibit, two of her favorite pieces on display were “Classy Lady No. 1” and “Classy Lady No. 2,” Davis said.

“I really like a simple, clean, color palette. I like to use glitter,” she said.

Another trademark of her artwork are the meanings each carries within, Davis said.

“There’s also kind of positive message written throughout,” she said. “I want people to feel happy and inspired when they look at it but they also have subtle messages.”

What especially stood out to art patron Lelia Abraham, however, was a quilt titled “Koala Diet” by Blasingame. As she admired the quilt, Abraham said it reminded her of her mother, who made a quilt for each of her five children.

“The colors are perfect. I like the colors. I looked at the work on that one and my gosh the hours and hours,” she said.

Blasingame said the scrap quilt, which belongs to her mother, comprises fabric she dyed or painted and wove together with a sewing machine.

“It’s just two layers, then I cut away. It’s a reverse appliqué and I just free-motioned stitched after they were assembled,” she said.

In contrast to Blasingame, Williams said her mixed-media fiber art, which ranges from small canvas to linens, uses found and recycled objects.

“I use everything from handmade paper, sliced shells, found wood and objects and things like that,” she said. “My trademark is using raw, silk yarn and challenging a person’s emotions with contrast.”

In a similar manner, Campbell also uses found objects or recycled assemblage, or what she calls “simply junk.”

Motioning to some of her pieces on display, which included a dog created from a roller skate to a sheep made from an old croquet ball covered in steel wool, Campbell said she is a visual thinker and it shows in her art. One of her most interesting pieces is a bird she created from a foundry pattern, industrial bobbin, whirligig and bottle caps.

“I take it and make it into something,” Campbell said. “I have an old nail bin from a hardware store full of junk.”

Janet Benzing, who was in attendance at Friday’s opening reception, said the exhibit was one of her favorites to attend because of the wide variety of styles on display.

“I loved the Matsy Wynn Richards, that was good, too, but this one has a lot,” she said, referring to the Greenville Arts Council’s previous exhibit.

Those who were unable to attend the opening reception can still view the exhibit from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday at E.E. Bass, 323 S. Main St., through June 29.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun May 13, 2018 6:35 pm

:cheer1: :cheer: :dance: :dance:

We have our very own celebrity quilt artiste! That was a very nice write-up. Congratulations. I love that quilt, it's amazing.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, Sugar, for posting those pics. I get so inspired by looking at your free-form designs that I forget that I am not nearly at your level. Some day...
My SIL posted on her Facebook page that she has two quilts in the Sand Stitchers Quilt Show in Gaultier. I didn’t know she was quilting. No pics yet. It was this weekend.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Gorgeous!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 am

kate520 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:19 pm
Thanks, Sugar, for posting those pics. I get so inspired by looking at your free-form designs that I forget that I am not nearly at your level. Some day...
My SIL posted on her Facebook page that she has two quilts in the Sand Stitchers Quilt Show in Gaultier. I didn’t know she was quilting. No pics yet. It was this weekend.
Wait! What? You have a s-i-l in Gautier (no L)? That means we're practically related! And since Sand Stitchers is a member of MQA, our statewide umbrella guild, I probably know her. A few of us had planned on going down for the show but I had to back out because we weren't sure if my son was getting discharged Sat or Sun. (He came home yesterday.) I heard they did a fabulous job on their log cabin raffle quilt though, so I bought a few tickets. Didn't win. :(

MQA has 3 meetings per year, and they alternate the spring and fall meetings between the north end of the state and the coast so we get to meet quilters from all over the state, and they all come to Jackson in June for the meeting and classes.

Is she a new quilter or did you just find out she was quilting? Guild shows are always a lot of fun and a great way to get some encouragement and ego-boosting from viewers and other quilters. The coast is a prime location too, with 3 huge shows evenly spaced at Mobile, Baton Rouge and Hattiesburg to enter. I'm amazed at the number of shows by individual guilds popping up recently and try to see as many as possible. There is a brand new one here next month that I'm judging, and it's a combination show, competition and antique fair. It will be interesting to see what kind of response it gets because the organizer is not very organized from what I can tell.

There are days that I sort of miss entering the local shows but when it comes right down to it, and the entry deadline is looming, I never regret not entering. I support the guilds by visiting the shows and buying opportunity quilt tickets and that sort of thing, but I'd rather look at other quilts than submit my own after getting burned by a bad experience with the local show in Baton Rouge when they clobbered up hanging a piece that I had spent a ton of time and energy on. And losing 4 quilts to Katrina that were in a show down there when she came through didn't help any either.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Sugar, I think she's new to quilting. I'll find out when they come for Sprout's graduation in June. We don't talk much because her husband is one of the few people in the world I can't stand. ("How's that hopey changey thing working out for ya, huh?") She has sewn for as long as I've known her. I've hated Chuck for as long as I've known her, too. :mrgreen:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

kate520 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm
Sugar, I think she's new to quilting. I'll find out when they come for Sprout's graduation in June. We don't talk much because her husband is one of the few people in the world I can't stand. ("How's that hopey changey thing working out for ya, huh?") She has sewn for as long as I've known her. I've hated Chuck for as long as I've known her, too. :mrgreen:
I have a b-I-l Chuck too. I understand completely. (And his name really IS Chuck.)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri May 25, 2018 6:20 pm

Sooooo.....mindless piecing seems to be my current response to stress. Better than eating I guess, and I get some quilt tops out of it.
Passages pattern from the Guilty Quilter for my son to take to chemo with him.

A Buckeye Beauty done to try to whittle down my pile of batiks. It didn't actually make a dent in the pile, even after adding a double row of 4 patches and then another border.
BuckeyeBeauty.jpg

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri May 25, 2018 6:24 pm

Well fuck....the one that shows up is the Passages, this one is the Buckeye Beauty.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri May 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Both are absolutely gorgeous!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri May 25, 2018 6:28 pm

Wow. Just wow!

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Return to “The Lounge”