Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Notorial Dissent

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Gorgeous work! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:18 pm

I love love love the black clutch! All of them, really, but that one best.

I hope you give your sweatshop employee a bathroom break at least. ;)
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

These just get better and better!!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Very nice. I love them all. Really nice fabrics. Are the clutches the necessary wallet with your own flap design, or some other pattern. They look great. You do fantastic work.

I am taking care of my mother now, at her house. Not sure for how long. I just went home and brought my sewing machine back, hoping to make some things soon. Of course, forgot my rotary cutter. And forgot my insul-brite, I wanted to make some potholders. Oh, well, I will just have to make some bags! :lol:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:50 pm

RVInit wrote:Very nice. I love them all. Really nice fabrics. Are the clutches the necessary wallet with your own flap design, or some other pattern. They look great. You do fantastic work.

I am taking care of my mother now, at her house. Not sure for how long. I just went home and brought my sewing machine back, hoping to make some things soon. Of course, forgot my rotary cutter. And forgot my insul-brite, I wanted to make some potholders. Oh, well, I will just have to make some bags! :lol:
Yes, they're the Necessary Clutch Wallet. The pattern calls for Peltex and I just can't do it without it looking like crap. And I thought a quilted flap wood look and feel softer. So I used scraps of Bosal, quilted on one side only, then stitched the lining right sides together like normal.

Edit: Jeez-O-Pete - vox rec: "wood" look better. :roll:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 am

Maybenaut wrote:
RVInit wrote:Very nice. I love them all. Really nice fabrics. Are the clutches the necessary wallet with your own flap design, or some other pattern. They look great. You do fantastic work.

Yes, they're the Necessary Clutch Wallet. The pattern calls for Peltex and I just can't do it without it looking like crap. And I thought a quilted flap wood look and feel softer. So I used scraps of Bosal, quilted on one side only, then stitched the lining right sides together like normal.

Edit: Jeez-O-Pete - vox rec: "wood" look better. :roll:
:lol: "Wood" You gotta love those voice editors. I have a really soft voice and my editor comes up with some real gems and also wants to capitalize all nouns. That may be a setting or something, though.

I love the quilted flap, It looks really nice. I also find Peltex hard to work with, it wrinkles too much, especially when you have to turn things right side out after using it. I'm sold on the Bosal/flex foam type products, they give real structure, allow the bag to stand up, and are really soft so they don't have that wrinkling problem. I think your flaps are going to hold up nicely and you will be really happy with them the way you did it. Very nice. I love both of them, the black one looks very elegant.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:38 am

When I started my business I almost called it "Wood Be Nice" but my wife said she'd leave me if I did. ;)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:36 pm

We're doing a Nasty Women Art Exhibition at our studio on March 23. If any of you would like to donate something handmade (looking at you maybenaught!) that can be priced at $100, we'd love to have you in our show. You keep $50 if it sells and the other $50 goes to a local charity (My Brother's Keeper - underserved population healthcare organization) or you can donate it all to the charity! We're carrying the cost of the reception so the sales split can be 50/50 with the artist and charity.

If you're interested in submitting artwork, PM or just ask and I'll fill you in on all the details.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:We're doing a Nasty Women Art Exhibition at our studio on March 23. If any of you would like to donate something handmade (looking at you maybenaught!) that can be priced at $100, we'd love to have you in our show. You keep $50 if it sells and the other $50 goes to a local charity (My Brother's Keeper - underserved population healthcare organization) or you can donate it all to the charity! We're carrying the cost of the reception so the sales split can be 50/50 with the artist and charity.

If you're interested in submitting artwork, PM or just ask and I'll fill you in on all the details.
Details, please! I can submit, and you can give it all to charity :)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:We're doing a Nasty Women Art Exhibition at our studio on March 23. If any of you would like to donate something handmade (looking at you maybenaught!) that can be priced at $100, we'd love to have you in our show. You keep $50 if it sells and the other $50 goes to a local charity (My Brother's Keeper - underserved population healthcare organization) or you can donate it all to the charity! We're carrying the cost of the reception so the sales split can be 50/50 with the artist and charity.

Details, please! I can submit, and you can give it all to charity :)
:lovestruck:
https://www.facebook.com/BottletreeStud ... page_panel
for the details on submissions and the charity and that sort of thing
(can't wait to see what you send!)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Or use a couple of layers of towel in the middle, or squares of a wool or felt moving blanket, or several layers of 100% cotton batting, or make hot pads for the table, or those cool little microwave things for bowls, or a casserole carrier.
I have the stuff set aside for the microwave bowl holders and I suspect if I ever get around to making a few, they'll be my favorite thing ever!

Nothing like some sewing to relieve the stress. Potholders and placemats are a good fall back if measuring and zippers get frustrating too. The less stress you have, the better. Save those scraps too! Some mindless piecing, with no plan or pattern, will eventually turn into a whole quilt, one piece at the time. Hang in there.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm

I like the one with the red-orange and fuchsia pattern. So pretty.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 pm

magdalen77 wrote:I like the one with the red-orange and fuchsia pattern. So pretty.
Thanks, Mags! I made that one for my sister -- it's Kaffe Fossett's "chrysanthemum" fabric. When my sister picks things out for herself, she always picks very conservative, and dark colors. But she grows cut flowers in her business. So I thought she needed a bag with flowers all over it.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:I like the one with the red-orange and fuchsia pattern. So pretty.
Thanks, Mags! I made that one for my sister -- it's Kaffe Fossett's "chrysanthemum" fabric. When my sister picks things out for herself, she always picks very conservative, and dark colors. But she grows cut flowers in her business. So I thought she needed a bag with flowers all over it.
Whenever I have a choice I always go with red.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm

OMG! You people are going to be SO jealous! The bags from Maybe arrived today for the Nasty Women show and they are unbelievable! I mean that sincerely. Trust me, I checked seams and zippers and stitches and they are absolutely flawless. Right down to the little ribbon pulls on the zippers. Even our mailman was impressed, and one of the other artists who was dropping stuff off when they arrived wanted to buy them on the spot. She even texted me later and asked if she could come a few minutes early the night of the reception to make sure she got it. My partner made me PROMISE I would let at least one other person in the show first before I bought anything, to give everyone a "fair" chance. I gritted my teeth and agreed but I'm hoping.......

btw, the other artist makes art dolls and does exquisite embroidery work using single strand silk and rayon threads. She was just juried into the Guild with an almost perfect score. The highest I've ever seen and I'm co-chair of the standards committee so I see them all! She was already planning which pocket of which bag would soon be holding which stitchery project. Aidan was also there and asked why I've never made her anything like that. All she gets Is canvas bags from me.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:OMG! You people are going to be SO jealous! The bags from Maybe arrived today for the Nasty Women show and they are unbelievable! I mean that sincerely. Trust me, I checked seams and zippers and stitches and they are absolutely flawless. Right down to the little ribbon pulls on the zippers. Even our mailman was impressed, and one of the other artists who was dropping stuff off when they arrived wanted to buy them on the spot. She even texted me later and asked if she could come a few minutes early the night of the reception to make sure she got it. My partner made me PROMISE I would let at least one other person in the show first before I bought anything, to give everyone a "fair" chance. I gritted my teeth and agreed but I'm hoping.......

btw, the other artist makes art dolls and does exquisite embroidery work using single strand silk and rayon threads. She was just juried into the Guild with an almost perfect score. The highest I've ever seen and I'm co-chair of the standards committee so I see them all! She was already planning which pocket of which bag would soon be holding which stitchery project. Aidan was also there and asked why I've never made her anything like that. All she gets Is canvas bags from me.
Aw, that's so sweet! I'm so glad everyone liked them. I'm very proud and excited to be able to participate in an event like this for such a worth cause -- thanks for the opportunity, Sugar!

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:35 am

I meant to click on the Carl Gallups topic but landed here instead. I am so impressed with those bags! That black wallet makes me :swoon: with envy. I have absolutely zero arts or crafts talents whatsoever. :(

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Because you all are such wonderful artists and crafters, I am very shy to put out my little yard-sale type biz products to show and tell here. But let met share the idea. Mot Mot Trading Company~A Creative Women's Emporium. I make a few items, and I buy items from other creative women who otherwise would not have a market for their products. I brand everything and go to markets to sell them.

Soaps, lotions, astringents, hair scrunchies, hair sticks, dried organic teas ( a wild and wonderful selection, hand collected, dried and packaged), reusable tea bags, sculpted volcanic pumice, lip balm. Also fresh roasted whole grain coffee and chocolate nibs.

I decided to stay away from perishable stuff which I had vacillated on...passion fruit dressing, tequila-lime marinade and what not.

Point is, this thread has tickled my creative spirit.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:42 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:Because you all are such wonderful artists and crafters, I am very shy to put out my little yard-sale type biz products to show and tell here. But let met share the idea. Mot Mot Trading Company~A Creative Women's Emporium. I make a few items, and I buy items from other creative women who otherwise would not have a market for their products. I brand everything and go to markets to sell them.

Soaps, lotions, astringents, hair scrunchies, hair sticks, dried organic teas ( a wild and wonderful selection, hand collected, dried and packaged), reusable tea bags, sculpted volcanic pumice, lip balm. Also fresh roasted whole grain coffee and chocolate nibs.

I decided to stay away from perishable stuff which I had vacillated on...passion fruit dressing, tequila-lime marinade and what not.

Point is, this thread has tickled my creative spirit.
Not yard sale stuff at all. Our state craft guild has artists producing many of those items, and they are all juried in. Foodways (which includes the stuff like the dried teas and roasted coffee) is also a recognized category of folk art with the Arts Commission.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:09 am

Sugar Magnolia how did the sale go? Did you make a lot of money for My Brothers Keeper? It is such a worthy charity but too bad it has to exist. I finally get to see all the photos of everyones beautiful things. You are all so talented.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:07 am

WriteItDown wrote:Sugar Magnolia how did the sale go? Did you make a lot of money for My Brothers Keeper? It is such a worthy charity but too bad it has to exist. I finally get to see all the photos of everyones beautiful things. You are all so talented.
We did! I think we had close to 30 pieces and 21 of them sold during the show. We sold another 3 or 4 the next day. The show itself went really well, except the band was too loud and we ran out of crab dip. The best part was getting to meet all the new-to-us local artists and some exciting emerging artists. 3 of the pieces that sold were from artists who had never showed or made a sale before and that was so thrilling to see their excitement! 2 women came from My Brother's Keeper and set up a table with swag and pamphlets and talked to people and answered questions. We had several local art professors bring students, people downtown wandered in, the artists brought their friends, and all told we probably had 150 people through the show in 3 hours. For such a small, unknown show, that's a huge crowd, and we made some contacts with others in the arts community. It was also nice to be able to sort of showcase what's happening downtown now that people are putting in apts and there's more activity in the evening.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:05 am

Glad to hear it went so well. And that you all had a good time.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am

I made this three bag set for Sugar's show (I know, one doesn't match -- I used what I had on hand). It was such an honor to have my work in the same show with all those fabulous artists! Second most gratifying (after the opportunity to support such a worthy cause) is that one of the artists bought my bags. :lovestruck:

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:43 am

Hi quilters. I ordered a "walking foot" for my sewing machine. Will it help me to sew straighter seams?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Sort of. What it does is makes all layers of the quilt advance at the same time. when you don't have a walking foot you only have feed dogs on the bottom, and so you don't have even pressure on the top and bottom of the quilt and so they don't advance under the presser foot at the same rate. A walking foot has feed dogs on the top so you have pressure on the top and bottom of the "at the same time. It'll prevent Parkers and unevenness in your quilting, but not necessarily a straighter line.

Return to “The Lounge”