Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post #176 by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:04 pm

RVInit wrote:I would love to be able to have a table where the bed of the machine sits flush with the table, I would consider that to be a real treat.

I've probably made a dozen of those over the years and it is incredibly easy. If you don't have a table you're willing to cut a hole in, you can use 3/4 plywood and a couple of filing cabinets. My work table at the studio is a 4'x8' with the inset at one end and I'm considering adding another one to the side for a different configuration when I need it. Mine has a lid (don't know what to call it) that fits into the opening to make it flush when I want to use the whole table.

RVInit

Post #177 by RVInit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:12 pm

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post #178 by Maybenaut » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:37 pm

I have my sewing machines on tables that are counter-height. The overwhelming majority of time I'm cutting, pinning, fitting, and ironing, and I prefer to do that standing up. I really don't like getting up and down, and I'd rather just sew standing up. Took a bit of getting used to, but now that I'm used to it, I'm comfortable with it.

My husband :lovestruck: made me this beautiful ambrosia maple layout table :lovestruck: which is also counter-height.

RVInit

Post #179 by RVInit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
RVInit wrote:I would love to be able to have a table where the bed of the machine sits flush with the table, I would consider that to be a real treat.

I've probably made a dozen of those over the years and it is incredibly easy. If you don't have a table you're willing to cut a hole in, you can use 3/4 plywood and a couple of filing cabinets. My work table at the studio is a 4'x8' with the inset at one end and I'm considering adding another one to the side for a different configuration when I need it. Mine has a lid (don't know what to call it) that fits into the opening to make it flush when I want to use the whole table.

I am working a large project for a client and my current living arrangement is temporary and extremely limited in space. So, for now I am just living with the inconvenience. Weather permitting, the 2 portable folding tables work out pretty well for me. The lowest table height is perfect for a portable chair and puts me at a very comfortable height for sewing. I set up the second table at the highest possible height and it's the perfect height for me to stand and cut. It's really only when I work inside that my efficiency is cut way down because I don't have the room to set things up so I can move easily from cutting to sewing to pressing. Well, it's temporary, so, I'm living with it. On weekends even if it's coolish I set up at least my cutting and pressing stations outside, but it's still inconvenient having to go out and in.

I'll keep your suggestions for when I'm in a different situation. Possibly soon, but my project is being slowed down by a project dependency that is completely out of my control and I'm not even a part of that one at all. And, it doesn't appear to be going particularly well.

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post #180 by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Maybenaut wrote:I have my sewing machines on tables that are counter-height. The overwhelming majority of time I'm cutting, pinning, fitting, and ironing, and I prefer to do that standing up. I really don't like getting up and down, and I'd rather just sew standing up. Took a bit of getting used to, but now that I'm used to it, I'm comfortable with it.

My husband :lovestruck: made me this beautiful ambrosia maple layout table :lovestruck: which is also counter-height.

That table is so beautiful! Counter height is a good choice, too. All of my work surfaces are counter height and I mostly sew standing up too. I usually sit at a bar stool to free motion though so I can get my nose a little closer and prop the weight of the quilt in my lap. I do sew on my dining room table occasionally and my back and shoulders know it!

Lani

Post #181 by Lani » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:01 am

Anybody here do bead work? I need to restring a bunch of necklaces.

I just got a beautiful vintage tiger eye necklace with gold spacer beads. The string was a bit stretched, and when I opened the clasp, the string broke. :(
I also have an antique Chinese turquoise bead necklace with little gold spacers necklace. Very loose string and no knotting between the beads - which are heavy and large. Maybe 14 mm-ish. I stopped wearing it because I'm scared it will break. AND an onyx and gold spacer bead necklace that suddenly broke at work. Sigh. After much crawling around on the floor, I was able to find all but one bead. The beads have been residing in a baggie for over a year.

I used to collect antique and vintage Chinese gemstone export jewelry - mostly necklaces - just cuz I love them. Mostly found them at rummage sales as people think they're junk. Nope. Some of them have have beautiful stones in semiprecious gemstones, often with wonderfully carved pendants. I reduced my collection to a few favorites, but rarely wear most of them because of their desperate need for restringing.

Y'all have inspired me to return to crafting after a 40 year absence and do it myself! :grouphug: After looking at the handbags some of you made, I'm even considering sewing small bags, perhaps evening bags in brocade, and using some small Chinese brooches or jade pendants as fasteners. See what you've done to me!!! :yikes:

So I need your help. I don't know nothing about quality restringing. I *think* I need silk cord in various thicknesses, special needles in various sizes, and a knotting thingie. I'm looking at these items:
Silk https://tinyurl.com/jbbhha2 That brand comes with its own needle attached so I don't have to worry about having the right sizes.
Knotting tool https://tinyurl.com/hacv8ub
Anything else?

I've looked at bead trays as well, but don't think I need one - yet. Maybe later if I really get into this. :dance:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sugar Magnolia

Post #182 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:24 am

GRRRRR......Photobucket can kiss my sweet ass.....I had a whole response typed out in response to your questions and tried to attach a photo and Photobucket shut everything down and I lost it.

shipwreckbeads.com
firemountaingems.com

I highly recommend both of those.

Anything over about an 8mm needs an S-Lon or Kevlar or Fireline to keep them from breaking again too soon.
No need to knot when using spacer beads. One or the other is the usual method.
If you use the braided synthetics like Fireline or one of the other fly tying lines, get it at Bass Pro or Cabela's or somewhere like that. 1/4 the cost of getting it at the bead shop. I have spools of white and smoke in several different weights.

I'm off for a meeting about a collaboration with another artist shortly and then have a fitting with a bride later this morning, but I'll come back later and add some more info if you still have questions. And maybe I can find a photo of one of the beaded cuffs and pendants I do with broken pieces of blown glass.

RVInit

Post #183 by RVInit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Lani wrote:Anybody here do bead work? I need to restring a bunch of necklaces.

:snippity:
So I need your help. I don't know nothing about quality restringing. I *think* I need silk cord in various thicknesses, special needles in various sizes, and a knotting thingie. I'm looking at these items:
Silk https://tinyurl.com/jbbhha2 That brand comes with its own needle attached so I don't have to worry about having the right sizes.
Knotting tool https://tinyurl.com/hacv8ub
Anything else?

I've looked at bead trays as well, but don't think I need one - yet. Maybe later if I really get into this. :dance:

In case you might be inclined toward online classes, there are some beading and other jewelry making classes on Craftsy.com. I looked to see if there are any beading, and there are several. You can watch the previews of a class to get an idea if that class covers something that you have an interest in learning. Also, you can see all of the projects that people have worked on in the class. That can often give you more insight as to what kind of skills the course teaches. There is typically suggested materials. Often there are a number of reviews and people aren't shy about giving a bad review if the class isn't as advertised. You can do all of those things without having to pay anything up front. The preview, looking at projects reviews are all available prior to signing up for a class. Right now several of the beading classes are $14.99 and $19.99.

I haven't done any beaded jewelry aside from using beading in some of my tatted work and the materials wouldn't be the same, except for possibly a beading "needle", so I really can't offer much more than that. I would love to see what you've done with the jewelry though. I really enjoy looking at all kinds of hand crafted items, even using materials and techniques that I don't do myself.

--- George W Bush

Lani

Post #184 by Lani » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Well, now you've got my mind jumping all over the place thinking about things I could do, especially since I may be forced to retire in a couple of years. I like the idea of exploring new activities to keep me mentally & physically active and creative and perhaps even participate in craft fairs. That might pay for my hobby!

In my home, I've used lesser jade carvings to make pulls for ceiling fans and lights. Maybe others would like them too? And maybe key rings with dangling antique/vintage charms. More than 40 years ago, I used to rework old costume jewelry into new jewelry creations as well as hair ornaments and refurb old cloth handbags with beading & using the pendants instead of toggles or buttons for fasteners. I made them as presents for friends, but a boutique and a beauty salon wound up selling them for me.

Back to reading all the links you two gave me!

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post #185 by RVInit » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 am

Lani wrote:Well, now you've got my mind jumping all over the place thinking about things I could do, especially since I may be forced to retire in a couple of years. I like the idea of exploring new activities to keep me mentally & physically active and creative and perhaps even participate in craft fairs. That might pay for my hobby!

In my home, I've used lesser jade carvings to make pulls for ceiling fans and lights. Maybe others would like them too? And maybe key rings with dangling antique/vintage charms. More than 40 years ago, I used to rework old costume jewelry into new jewelry creations as well as hair ornaments and refurb old cloth handbags with beading & using the pendants instead of toggles or buttons for fasteners. I made them as presents for friends, but a boutique and a beauty salon wound up selling them for me.

Back to reading all the links you two gave me!

:like: Where I live flea markets are also a good place to sell hand crafted items. I once sold handmade soaps through a hardware store.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post #186 by Maybenaut » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 pm

This is my latest bag. My sister had a bag that she loved, and asked me to make her a new on when hers disintigrated. I took her old one apart and used it as a pattern.

RVInit

Post #187 by RVInit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Super nice bag, Maybenaut! I love the gray and yellow.

I wish I had more time to sew, I'm juggling two clients right now. :( Not that anyone is twisting my arm. Well, heading home now.

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post #188 by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:33 pm

This is my new piece going in a show in Vicksburg next week. It's an annual themed invitational show and this year is something about Mississippi. I don't remember exactly what she's calling it.
24"x24" fabric collage, thread painted and quilted. All the pieces are cut free hand and then stitched down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RVInit

Post #189 by RVInit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Wow. Sugar, that is just fabulous. You are a true artist. :clap: :clap: :clap:

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post #190 by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 pm

RVInit wrote:Wow. Sugar, that is just fabulous. You are a true artist. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks. Mississippi tomatoes are works of art anyway.

RoadScholar

Post #191 by RoadScholar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Lovely composition, Sugar. :clap:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Maybenaut

Post #192 by Maybenaut » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Gorgeous, Sugar M!

Foggy

Post #193 by Foggy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Maybenaut wrote:This is my latest bag.

Wow, love the anti-grav purse! Does it float like that when you keep a hand grenade in it? :blink:

I believe in pee hookers. :blink:

Sugar Magnolia

Post #194 by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:40 pm

This might be the wrong thread, but it is "arts" so maybe not.

We're planning a Nasty Woman Exhibition here!!! :thumbs: We've been planning it for a little minute but I didn't want to say anything until it was a done deal. Well, after my meeting this morning with our chosen charity (My Brother's Keeper) it's a done deal! It's been several years since I planned a large event like this so I'm a little nervous about forgetting something but I'm incredibly excited about pulling it off. Right now, we have no idea how many artists to expect or how many sales we might make or anything else, but I've put out the call for submissions on FB and finished all the forms, so no backing out at this point.

The show is planned for March 23-26 and I can't wait to see what the artists submit. I can't wait to "discover" what my own piece is going to be too. 3 of the 4 artists in the studio are exploring doing some collaborations too. Can't wait to see how that comes out.

Maybenaut

Post #195 by Maybenaut » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:40 pm

That is so exciting, Sugar! Please post some pictures ofyour submission :lovestruck:

RVInit

Post #196 by RVInit » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:53 pm

:?:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:This might be the wrong thread, but it is "arts" so maybe not.

We're planning a Nasty Woman Exhibition here!!! :thumbs: We've been planning it for a little minute but I didn't want to say anything until it was a done deal. Well, after my meeting this morning with our chosen charity (My Brother's Keeper) it's a done deal! It's been several years since I planned a large event like this so I'm a little nervous about forgetting something but I'm incredibly excited about pulling it off. Right now, we have no idea how many artists to expect or how many sales we might make or anything else, but I've put out the call for submissions on FB and finished all the forms, so no backing out at this point.

The show is planned for March 23-26 and I can't wait to see what the artists submit. I can't wait to "discover" what my own piece is going to be too. 3 of the 4 artists in the studio are exploring doing some collaborations too. Can't wait to see how that comes out.

Many years ago I was the show chairman for an Orchid Society. I probably will forget half of what all went into it, but I set up committees to handle each area because an AOS judged Orchid Show is a pretty big deal (among orchid lovers) and people came from all over the world (vendors). One example was the year we set up in a mall. There was a huge amount of planning and coordinating that went on for judging - selecting a head judge, phone meetings, usually the head judge would determine whether he/she wanted to select judges, otherwise that falls to the show chairman. AOS paperwork, yada yada yada - anyway, I'm babbling about things that don't apply, but...maybe some of this babble will remind you of something that does apply.

Here is a basic list of things I can still (barely) remember....I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of things.

1. Determine what size and how many vendor and/or display spaces you will have - then you have to invite vendors/exhibitors. If you are doing this in a public space you may have to follow someone else's rules as to what time you can set up (so as not to interfere with business, like the years we had our show in the mall).

2. Send the rules to the vendors and exhibitors regarding setup time - how early are they allowed to arrive. What time must they have their exhibit setup complete. This is crucial if it involves setting up at a venue where a Fire Marshall inspection will be required. Your vendors all have to be set up and everything out of aisles prior to the Fire Marshall arriving. Someone will need to mark off vendor spaces, we used masking tape. Put signs on the spaces with the name of the vendor/exhibitor so they will know where to set up.

3. Advertising - how much and what kind.

4. Arrange space for volunteers who will be working the show - coffee, donuts, chairs, tables, etc. If your event is spread over several days (our shows spanned five days, including the judging day), you will need a volunteer schedule.

5. You may have to arrange for the Fire Marshall to inspect the setup. I always had a three hour time span for setups and if our setup time was between 4 am - 7 am I would have the Fire Marshall come around 6:45.

6. Plan for any activities that are going to be taking place. Who will be involved, who will coordinate, etc. Example - we usually had a contest for orchid arrangements. One category for experienced/professional arrangers and one for novices. Where will those activities take place? Does someone need to make a schedule? Does someone need to be in charge of keeping the events "flowing", reminding the next group they are "up" in 10 minutes, etc.

7. Will you need microphones or other media equipment? Where will you get it from?

8. Will there be a need for a check-in table of some kind? Someone will need to design the checklist. Name tags. Sashes for volunteers so if people need help, they can easily spot a volunteer.

Edit: Sorry my list is a hodge podge and not in good order and not considering which things are done prior to show day and which things are done immediately before set up, etc. But, of course you know that.

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post #197 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks for the prompts RV. It did remind me I have to hire a cop for security and borrow more folding tables and design the labels for the artwork.

We own a warehouse that houses our studios downstairs and 2 apts upstairs, and we have a 1500 sf apt attached at the side also. We're keeping the side apt vacant until Apr 1 so we can use it, and the attached courtyard, for the exhibition space. The street we're on is sort of weird too. 6 lanes wide with an abandoned railroad track down the center where people park in a double row. Major artery street at one corner, practically abandoned street at the other corner, and only us, a bank drive-thru and a driveway that feed into our block. When they aren't building a hotel 3 blocks away, or there's no Federal court trial going on, the whole street is abandoned during the day except for our cars.

We're asking artists to submit a piece that is priced at $100. They'll keep half and half will go to My Brother's Keeper charity. We're inviting PP, the ACLU, League of Women Voters and any other organization we can think of to have a presence and pass out literature or sign up voters or answer questions.

I was the chairman for our big quilt show here for several years so I know what a headache it can be to keep all the moving parts in sync with many different areas. Demos and presentations and mini-classes and vendors, along with hanging and judging and tagging 300 quilts. We were lucky that the pipe and drape company was willing to plan the set up for us but fortunately, that isn't an issue this time. We'll just hang stuff on the walls in the apartment. The thing we're expecting to be the biggest time sucker is curating the work and deciding where to hang it. As I learned when I was the Craft assistant for the Jazz and Heritage Foundation, you have to have a plan for where stuff goes. You don't want a whole wall of mis-matched floral still-lifes any more than you want all the potters side by side at a festival.

Our very first submission yesterday was from a woman in Greenville (2 hours from here) who had a piece in the Memphis show but wanted to show in her own state. She sort of settled my nerves about nobody being interested in participating.

By the way, any of you who want to put a piece in the show are welcome to do so!

RVInit

Post #198 by RVInit » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:10 am

:like: Sounds like you have it well in hand. How exciting, and what a great idea

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post #199 by Maybenaut » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Meanwhile in the Maybelot sweatshop, the bag-making operation is in high gear...

SueDB

Post #200 by SueDB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Very Kewl :clap: :clap: :clap:

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Return to “The Lounge”