Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

RVInit

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by RVInit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Maybenaut wrote:That's a shame -- did you notify byannie.com or wherever you got it? It really shouldn't be that way.
I'm mad at myself for not taking a photo of it. Yes, I bought it directly from byAnnies. I haven't yet complained about it, but I do intend to let them know. I shouldn't have had to open my second package. I haven't checked the piece sizes I need for the next project yet, but I have a feeling I will have to buy another package. I won't buy another package until I let them know I'm not happy with the two packages I recently received. The second package wasn't as bad as the first, but it did taper down to less than 18" on one side, almost 2 inches less.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:20 pm

RVInit wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:That's a shame -- did you notify byannie.com or wherever you got it? It really shouldn't be that way.
I'm mad at myself for not taking a photo of it. Yes, I bought it directly from byAnnies. I haven't yet complained about it, but I do intend to let them know. I shouldn't have had to open my second package. I haven't checked the piece sizes I need for the next project yet, but I have a feeling I will have to buy another package. I won't buy another package until I let them know I'm not happy with the two packages I recently received. The second package wasn't as bad as the first, but it did taper down to less than 18" on one side, almost 2 inches less.
When I did the Ultimate Travel Bag Craftsy.com course I was too impatient to order anything. I wanted to make it at the cabin, and there are two reasonably good fabric stores nearby (nearby being a relative term). One has awesome quilting fabric, but not much in the way of notions (they don't carry zippers, for example). The other has pretty good notions (I was able to get zipper tape by the yard, plus extra pulls), and lots of upholstery and dress-making fabric, but not much in the way of quilting fabrics.

Anyhoo, the quilting place had a lot of patterns for bags, and regular cotton batting, but didn't have Soft and Stable (which the pattern called for). The other place didn't have Soft and Stable either, but it did have Bosal double sided fusible foam, so I used that. Square inch-wise, the piece was large enough, but I had to piece a couple of scraps together tp make it work. I butted up the straight edges, and used a wide and long zig-zag stitch to make several smaller pieces into one large piece. It didn't compress too much, and fused no-problem. And the bag holds its shape pretty well. I'd use Bosal again :)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Cool. I bought a small package of Bosal squares and it's pretty similar to Soft and Stable. I wondered about fusing them together. Marti Michel puts pieces of batting together using fusing tape. She overlaps the two pieces and then she cuts smooth curves so the pieces will fit together perfectly. Then, she puts a piece of fusable tape over the cut. I will check and see what size of pieces I can get Bosal. I like your suggestion.

Also Sugar - thanks for the input on binding. Your suggestions and experience are very welcome and appreciated- so glad to have people to bounce things off.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 pm

I really like quilted bags. The instructions on this grey one I finished yesterday, plus one of the other ones I did a couple of weeks ago, called for a fusible stabilizer but no quilting. They had a couple of finished bags in the store, and I just didn't like how they looked. So I quilted mine, then I had to re-work the pattern in places to account for the different construction. The interior pockets also had fusible stabilizer, but I just raided my stash of plain muslin and tripled up the thickness on the pockets to give them a little more body.

I'm getting much better at making bags, though, and I'm finding I really like it. Some are my own designs; some are store-bought. My next project is going to be the "Necessary Clutch Wallet," but I sent my home machine in to be serviced, and we have folks visiting the cabin this weekend so I can't do it there. I'll just have to wait. :bored:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Would you believe I have the Necessary Clutch pattern, too? It's one of my choices for what to make next. I keep seeing Craftsy has a kit for it that's been on sale lately. I enjoy making bags,too. I bet we have several other patterns in common. I do the same, use patterns sometimes and do my own thing other times. My weight has been somewhat unstable so making clothing right now is an exercise in frustration. I'll have to dig out some of my bags from the past and post them. The first one I posted is one that I made quite a while ago,the soft one with pleats. I am working on drafting the handles for the second bag I posted, I am determined to get that one finished. I used the Soft and Stable in that one, too, and quilted the outside of it, two choices that I'm glad I made.

I would love to see more of your bags, the ones you've posted so far are very impressive, I have really liked them.

I recently purchased a Juki TL-2010Q. It's a straight stitch only machine. I bought it from an individual and got what I think is a great deal on it. I own a Juki serger, and am very happy with it, and was able to try out the 2010Q before making a commitment to buy it. So far I really like the 2010Q, but, yeah, their are times when I want to use something other than a straight stitch. I don't have room to keep my old machine set up, I have to put one away before I set up another one. I need to work on that situation as I would love to have the flexibility of using both and be able to switch back and forth more easily than my current set up allows.

--- George W Bush

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Love the pieces, the colors are great.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 am

I have been using 1 or 2 layers of canvas drop cloth as interfacing lately, and in between the layers of pockets. It won't make the bag stand up, but it is thinner than regular batting and gives the bag some stability. My work table is basically an 8' x 4' print surface with 2 layers of grey felt moving blankets and at least 1 layer of the drop cloth on top. I can use it as an ironing surface, a print surface and a painting surface. When one part of the canvas gets covered with paint or poly or whatever I turn it around to a clean spot and keep going. When that part gets stiff with paint I flip the whole thing over and do it all again. After a while, the canvas gets covered with paint and becomes a bit stiff. I take that piece off and use it as interfacing in wall quilts and bags and costumes and put a new piece down on the table. It's very easy to sew through, doesn't add any thickness and gives just the right amount of stiffness for most everything I need it for.

I get huge dropcloths at Lowe's for less than I would pay for a good quality crib sized batt, and it lasts forever it seems.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 am

Here's my latest. The Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags.

It didn't take terribly long to make (about five or six hours, including several times where I had to take it apart), next time will be much faster.

I used too heavy a stablizer on some of the interior pockets ( it was all I had, and I was too lazy to go to the store and get some more-I made this out of fabric and stuff I already had on hand). So the wallet had a little too much bulk in places, and that made it kind of hard to sew. I also didn't trim down the interior credit card pockets enough, so that forces the wallet to extend on the sides a little bit. Next time I'll be a little more careful.

But it was a fun project, and not too difficult :-)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:18 am

[quote="Maybenaut"]Here's my latest. The Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags.

It didn't take terribly long to make (about five or six hours, including several times where I had to take it apart), next time will be much faster.

I used too heavy a stablizer on some of the interior pockets ( it was all I had, and I was too lazy to go to the store and get some more-I made this out of fabric and stuff I already had on hand). So the wallet had a little too much bulk in places, and that made it kind of hard to sew. I also didn't trim down the interior credit card pockets enough, so that forces the wallet to extend on the sides a little bit. Next time I'll be a little more careful.

But it was a fun project, and not too difficult :-)

WOWZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:16 am

Maybenaut, I LOVE it. OK, now I am inspired to make this one. It was already in my "to make, soon" list. I have the pattern, it's been sitting in my download box on Etsy for a while now.

I love the fabrics, too. You have a keen eye for what looks good for a given pattern! Thanks for mentioning the time factor on making this one, it's good to know. I should be able to finish it on a Saturday afternoon then. More or less.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks! This fabric was one of those fat quarter bundle's that I got at Joanne. So the real credit goes to the fabric designers. By the way, it took for fat quarters total to make. The pattern called for three different colors of fabric, but I used four, because I didn't have a Knouff of one of the colors.

ETA: this is what happens when you let the voice recognition software on your phone and type your posts for you

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Maybenaut wrote:Thanks! This fabric was one of those fat quarter bundle's that I got at Joanne. So the real credit goes to the fabric designers. By the way, it took for fat quarters total to make. The pattern called for three different colors of fabric, but I used four, because I didn't have a Knouff of one of the colors.

ETA: this is what happens when you let the voice recognition software on your phone and type your posts for you
I do that too. I get misspellings and weird capitalization sometimes. Like almost every noun capitalized and crap like that. :lol:

OK, thanks for the tip on the fat quarters. Fatquartershop.com sells a lot of 1/2 yard bundles as well as fat quarter bundles and other precut packages. I thought the 1/2 yard bundles might be good for lots of my bag patterns in cases where fat quarters aren't quite enough. I like the fabric that Craftsy is offering with the kit for this clutch, but $17 is still more than I want to pay. I will download the pattern tonight and look through my stash to see what I have. I do have fabric left over from making my Mom's caddy. Hmm, that's a thought. Especially for a dry run of the pattern.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:01 pm

After carrying this bag around for a couple of weeks I decided I really didn't like the handles. So I took them off, restitched where the lining joined the outside (had to do that by hand), then restitched the topstitching around the top. Then I made a strap out of fabric-covered polypropylene webbing, and attached it with bag hardware.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Maybenaut wrote:After carrying this bag around for a couple of weeks I decided I really didn't like the handles. So I took them off, restitched where the lining joined the outside (had to do that by hand), then restitched the topstitching around the top. Then I made a strap out of fabric-covered polypropylene webbing, and attached it with bag hardware.

I love those handles. One of thing I liked (among many) about the design of the caddy above is the fabric covered webbing in the part of the handles that is attached to the caddy. It makes them really strong and stable. I used polyprop too instead of the cotton, it is more sturdy.

I made a Necessary Clutch yesterday. It turned out pretty nice. I put a couple of small D rings between the flap and main body so I can add a removable strap, which I haven't yet made. I have the hardware, I bought a handful of swivel hooks, and now I'm glad I bought some small ones, I think the larger ones wouldn't look as nice on this particular wallet/clutch. Now I'm thinking about going through my fat quarters to see which ones I might use to make another one. I can see where making these could get addictive. I have some other cute wallet patterns I might try first though.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:14 pm

RVInit wrote:I made a Necessary Clutch yesterday. It turned out pretty nice. I put a couple of small D rings between the flap and main body so I can add a removable strap, which I haven't yet made. I have the hardware, I bought a handful of swivel hooks, and now I'm glad I bought some small ones, I think the larger ones wouldn't look as nice on this particular wallet/clutch. Now I'm thinking about going through my fat quarters to see which ones I might use to make another one. I can see where making these could get addictive. I have some other cute wallet patterns I might try first though.
Pictures? :blink:

It is addicting. I made another one. This one is better in some ways and worse in some ways than the first. I think I can get this down with practice, though.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:38 pm

I like, I like! Very nice.

I will take photos of mine tomorrow and post.

I did a couple of things different than the instructions. I cut the pieces on Saturday night so I could start putting it together on Sunday morning. I did some searching to see some other examples of this wallet, and I found some construction videos. I decided to watch them and I did get a couple of ideas from two of them.

One of them cut the lining as two different pieces, cut longways. She did this so that she could leave what is essentially the middle of the lining open for turning. I didn't do that, but, I decided to cut a slit down the middle of my lining so that I could sew around all the edges and use the center for turning, same idea that she did. It's easy to do that on this pattern because that part gets completely covered. I did use a piece of fusible interfacing to cover up the slit , but really I don't even think that is necessary, there won't be wear and tear in that area and the pockets and credit card slots cover that area completely

Another video I ran across had something that I used. I wanted to use the flap border. I could see that it would be a challenge to make that look really professional. The video caught my eye because it has only to do with that one piece. After watching it I had no doubt, any time I make this wallet and use the flap border, I will use this method. It's pretty cool and much easier to get it to look nice than the original instructions would really allow.

Here is that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ChUchckMAM

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:31 pm

I use SF101 interfacing on the whole thing, and don't trim a seam allowance in the interfacing. The SF101 isn't that bulky, so and it saves a ton if time to just fuse it all first, then cut out the pattern pieces from already-fused fabric.

I like the video on the border! I tried to do the border on the first wallet, and it looked a lot like hers so I took it off. I'm also not wild about the NCW shape of the flap. So as you can see from my second wallet I changed the shape of the flap a little bit. But that border serves a purpose; it makes the flap a little more sturdy. Mine looks OK, but it's going to start curling up with use. The Peltex border will keep that from happening. So now that I have a better understanding of how to do it, I can keep my new wallet shape, and just make a Peltex border that matches that. So thanks so much for that!

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Great idea about the interfacing - I will use that. I am also going to try headliner and a product that I found at Joann in place of the Soft and Stable. It's the Pellon® FF7812 Flex-Foam. I'm going to compare it to the Soft and Stable, it has the same basic characteristics, but it's fusible on one side. I am going to pick up a yard of headliner, they also sell it in Joann's stores, and see how that works. Utility fabrics are currently 30% off at Joann, and the % off for total order can be added on top of that.

OK, I finally just took photos of my clutch wallet. One of them is kind of blurry. :cry: Here she is:
ClosedNCW.jpg
OpenNCW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Nice job! Love those colors!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Also, too, did you use that process for putting the border on that you
Posted the youtube video about? Yours looks really nice. Mine looked like crap so I picked it off the first one and didn't bother with the second one.

Right now I'm working on usiny nylon for the credit card pockets and side gussets. I think there's just way too much bulk. I'm also working on a way to do the zippers so the ends look a little bit neater.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:45 pm

Maybenaut wrote:Also, too, did you use that process for putting the border on that you
Posted the youtube video about? Yours looks really nice. Mine looked like crap so I picked it off the first one and didn't bother with the second one.

Right now I'm working on usiny nylon for the credit card pockets and side gussets. I think there's just way too much bulk. I'm also working on a way to do the zippers so the ends look a little bit neater.
Yes, I did use the method on the video in the link. I am glad that I didn't get on it earlier Saturday, otherwise I would never have found that video before putting the wallet together. So, that turned out to be a blessing, I think. I agree about the zipper, I wish that I had used methods that I already know to put the zipper in, instead of just following the directions. I agree with you, I don't really like how the top of the zippered pocket looks following the directions of installation that she gives. I'm always hesitant to use different methods if I can't really tell for sure that there isn't some inherent reason for doing it her way. And my way would involve cutting off both sides much earlier, so, if I suddenly realized there was a reason for doing it her way, I would have had to do it over again. Now I know that her method isn't necessary I will do it the way I normally would in a free standing zippered pocket type situation.

I would love to see what you are doing with the nylon pockets and gusset, that sounds pretty cool!

I made a couple of cool projects using half of a zipper - really cool. It makes the bag stay way open. I made a small pouch with this method for my sewing clips, and made a larger zippered bag for....I'm not sure what! But I love how using the single side of a zipper allows the bag to stay open, when I'm going in and out of the pouch for the clips it really comes in handy. I will get photos of it tomorrow. Right now I can't get a good photo, my hands shake too much if I wait too long to eat.

--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Blue and yellow bag. I separated a zipper and only used half of it. It has the effect of holding the bag open, so reaching inside of it is easier. The size of this one makes it useful for a cosmetics bag, but there are all kinds of other things it could be used for. I also squared off the bottom so it stands up. This zipper technique can be used with Coats and Clark or YKK non-metal zippers. I'm not sure if an invisible type zipper would work. I bought a bag of YKK zipper pulls in a variety of colors so I wouldn't have to waste the other half of the zipper.
YellowBag_Small.jpg
Also, the key fob - I put 3 pulls that match the color of the fabric. Kind of fun.
KeyFob_Small.jpg
I also made a small squarish pouch with a single side of a zipper, for the clips I use for sewing. It's really handy, especially because it stays wide open so I can just throw the clips in as I remove them while sewing. I'm getting good at throwing them and getting them in the bag while keeping my eyes on what I'm sewing. Not quite as good as throwing my pins onto the magetic pin "cushion", but almost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

--- George W Bush

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Really like that bag and the half-zipper idea. Thanks.

I haven't started sewing yet, I don't have a space I can use right now. Sprout is making an elaborate stop motion video with several scenes set up on the various tables in the den. So I'm planning and gathering.

I'm looking for a sewing table now. I've found a couple locally that are vintage metal treadles, still hooked up to the iron machines that come with them. Is it worth the effort to convert? Both of them look like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Antique-Sew ... Sw4DJYk-rV

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51 pm

I don't really know about converting an old sewing table for use with a new machine, but maybe someone else can answer to that. There are some ideas below, but others may have some better ideas to offer.

I don't really have a proper sewing area. I put my sewing machine up on my dining room table and that's where I do my sewing when it's chilly or raining.

I have two portable tables that I bought from BJ's - http://www.bjs.com/lifetime-4-adjustabl ... uct.166757

When the weather is nice, I sometimes put them out on my back porch where I have quite a bit of privacy and space. I set one table at the lowest height for my sewing machine and the other at the highest height as a cutting table. I drag my ironing board out there, too. That is my favorite setup, because I don't really have a good setup inside where I can move as efficiently between cutting/sewing/pressing. So indoors takes me longer to accomplish anything.

I would love to be able to have a table where the bed of the machine sits flush with the table, I would consider that to be a real treat. The two machines I use the most both have pretty large extension tables, I guess that is the next best thing. You can also buy custom extension tables for any size of machine.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/search.php? ... le&x=0&y=0

Here is a table from Sew-Vac Direct. If you know someone handy, who could build a table or modify an existing table (or the one from eBay), you could buy one of the custom extension tables and set the machine and extension table into a modified table.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/arrow-98611 ... aft-table/

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:57 pm

kate520 wrote:Really like that bag and the half-zipper idea. Thanks.

I haven't started sewing yet, I don't have a space I can use right now. Sprout is making an elaborate stop motion video with several scenes set up on the various tables in the den. So I'm planning and gathering.

I'm looking for a sewing table now. I've found a couple locally that are vintage metal treadles, still hooked up to the iron machines that come with them. Is it worth the effort to convert? Both of them look like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Antique-Sew ... Sw4DJYk-rV
I love old treadle tables, but they're usually either a)worth too much to convert and use for your Bernina or whatever, or b) not worth anything and require so much restoration you might as well buy a Koala.

I buy the treadle legs every time I run across them (have a set at the studio right now that I got for $10) and put my own top on them. I've made hall tables, dining tables and sewing tables out of them. And because the trestles are so cheap and not in original condition I don't feel guilty about painting them purple or something.

Return to “The Lounge”