Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Maybenaut

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post #101 by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:46 am

Just finished this one last night. I took Annie Unrein's "The Ultimate Travel Bag" course on craftsy.com. I learned so much working on this project. The inside seams are bound with a contrasting color, and I'm still not precise enough to turn the binding and get nice even stitches on both sides, so I turned the binding by hand, just like I would a quilt.

RVInit

Post #102 by RVInit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:49 am

Wowee! I am signed up for that course, too, but haven't made the bag yet. I'm getting ready to buy the fabric for the carry-all from one of her other Craftsy courses - for my Mom to take to the hospital later this month. Then, I may have time to work on some things I want for myself. Ha ha. I never seem to get around to making things for myself, someone always needs a gift, or, I take something I made for myself to show someone, they like it, and I give it up. That happened to a pair of socks I knitted "for myself" recently. I'm not complaining, though, gives me an excuse to buy more fabric, yarn, whatever, and do it all over again.

Your carry all is super nice and very well done. I LOVE IT!!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post #103 by RVInit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
:snippity:
By this point I probably have a dozen or more, at least one on every machine, because I'm hard on them and they break.

I had to laugh when I read this because after showing a friend my newest machine I said I believe everyone needs at least 3 sewing machines and a serger, especially if they live in a small place like mine.

--- George W Bush

Maybenaut

Post #104 by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:16 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
:snippity:
By this point I probably have a dozen or more, at least one on every machine, because I'm hard on them and they break.

I had to laugh when I read this because after showing a friend my newest machine I said I believe everyone needs at least 3 sewing machines and a serger, especially if they live in a small place like mine.

I'm with yoy. I need another machine -- no, wait, I need two more. Plus another serger. I already have two plus a serger, and had a perfectly good justification for that. Then we bought the cabin where we spend a great deal of time. I took one of my machines there. Now I only have one in each place (where I clearly need two), and a serger for the cabin. I do a lot of "industrial" sewing at the cabin -- fixing hunting and camping gear; heavy nylon, webbing, etc. I need a workhorse out there, and the one I have - a Bernina 350 -- does a really good job. But sometimes it's nice to have a second machine set up to do a different kind if sewing in the same project so you're not constantly changing feet, needles, thread, etc.

Maybenaut

Post #105 by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

RVInit wrote:Wowee! I am signed up for that course, too, but haven't made the bag yet. I'm getting ready to buy the fabric for the carry-all from one of her other Craftsy courses - for my Mom to take to the hospital later this month. Then, I may have time to work on some things I want for myself. Ha ha. I never seem to get around to making things for myself, someone always needs a gift, or, I take something I made for myself to show someone, they like it, and I give it up. That happened to a pair of socks I knitted "for myself" recently. I'm not complaining, though, gives me an excuse to buy more fabric, yarn, whatever, and do it all over again.

Your carry all is super nice and very well done. I LOVE IT!!

Thanks!! You're going to love it. I only made one change -- she used 1.5" webbing for the strap and I thought that was too thick, so I did 1". I also didn't make the shoulder pad because I don't really like those (I would if I was giving this away, but I'm not). I also cannot turn the binding over and stitch it with the machine and get even stitches on both sides. So on the interior of the bag I did it like a quilt - stitched it on one side, then turned it and stitched it by hand.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #106 by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:45 pm

If you don't have, or don't like to use, the bias binding foot, you can always do a narrow zig zag or decorative stitch. That way, when you go in and out of the ditch it's not nearly as noticeable. Apply binding as usual on the back, turn to the front and stitch with the decorative stitch along the edge. It's a nice little unexpected finishing touch.

Notorial Dissent

Post #107 by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Maybenaut, and everyone, I haven't commented recently, but the bags I have been seeing are really quite lovely.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Maybenaut

Post #108 by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:If you don't have, or don't like to use, the bias binding foot, you can always do a narrow zig zag or decorative stitch. That way, when you go in and out of the ditch it's not nearly as noticeable. Apply binding as usual on the back, turn to the front and stitch with the decorative stitch along the edge. It's a nice little unexpected finishing touch.

Good idea! I have a binding attachment for my sewing machine, but it requires a special foot (didn't know that when I bought it), the place I bought the machine from is out of business, the feet are hard to find online, so I'm going to have to order one from the quilting shop out in Harrisonburg. I've got a gozillion decorative stitches to choose from.

Maybenaut

Post #109 by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Whatever4 wrote:Counted thread cross-stitch! That was my huge hobby until my eyes started to go. Plus Ellie, hard to keep hair out of the work. But won ribbons while it lasted. Also, never had to buy a wedding or baby present.

PM me for the link. Here's one -- metallics on the dragon.

image.jpg

Beautiful! I did one counted cross stitch project, and while the end result was lovely, I didn't have the patience for it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #110 by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:If you don't have, or don't like to use, the bias binding foot, you can always do a narrow zig zag or decorative stitch. That way, when you go in and out of the ditch it's not nearly as noticeable. Apply binding as usual on the back, turn to the front and stitch with the decorative stitch along the edge. It's a nice little unexpected finishing touch.

Good idea! I have a binding attachment for my sewing machine, but it requires a special foot (didn't know that when I bought it), the place I bought the machine from is out of business, the feet are hard to find online, so I'm going to have to order one from the quilting shop out in Harrisonburg. I've got a gozillion decorative stitches to choose from.

Check allbrands.com for the feet.

Maybenaut

Post #111 by Maybenaut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Check allbrands.com for the feet.

Nope.

Maybenaut

Post #112 by Maybenaut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:Check allbrands.com for the feet.

Nope.

OK, I'm a dumbass. I thought to myself, which is more likely -- that the Bernina lady only let me buy half of what I needed, or that I bought it all and now I'm just confused. Turns out, I bought it all and now I'm just confused -- I went to my Big Box o' Feet to see if there were any that I didn't recognize -- found one, looked up the number, and there it was. The problem was that my binder attachment didn't have a number on it, and I thought it was different, and thought I needed the foot for the different one. I'm all sorted out now.

What I bought kind of sucks, though, in a way. I've been fiddling around with the binder (still new in the box), and it does a super-nice job, but the widest strip it can take is only about an inch and a quarter. That may be OK for a single layer or a thin quilt, but I don't know about these bags -- they can get thick in parts. They do make larger binders for the Bernina, but they're spendy... I'm going to work with this one and see what I can do with it. I might be able to make it work by trimming the seam allowance very carefully.

Looks like there are tricks, too. The first time I tried it itcame out all wonky. I hit the strip with a spritz of spray starch and it came out perfect. It really does do a clean, professional-looking binding, if a bit narrow. Now I want to bind everything in sight.

maydijo

Post #113 by maydijo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:35 pm

I'm a half-assed seamstress at best, so anyone who actually knows what they're doing, feel free to correct me, but my mum almost always uses flannel as quilt backing and I don't remember it ever pilling. At the moment DH and I are sleeping under a log cabin quilt she made with a flannel backing. I've just had a look and not a bit of pilling. Ditto two quilts she made for my kids (one of which is denim, and it weighs a ton, even without batting). So, fwiw, I don't think you'll have a worry too much about pilling.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #114 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:28 am

maydijo wrote:I'm a half-assed seamstress at best, so anyone who actually knows what they're doing, feel free to correct me, but my mum almost always uses flannel as quilt backing and I don't remember it ever pilling. At the moment DH and I are sleeping under a log cabin quilt she made with a flannel backing. I've just had a look and not a bit of pilling. Ditto two quilts she made for my kids (one of which is denim, and it weighs a ton, even without batting). So, fwiw, I don't think you'll have a worry too much about pilling.

It depends on the fabric content and weave of the fabric. Thicker, 100% cotton flannel in a twill weave does not pill like most of the commercially available ones from fabric stores do over time. The high quality flannels do not lose the nap or wear thin nearly as quickly as the ones from Joann's or Hobby Lobby do. If you're going to use flannel for a backing, look for one that is at least a 5 oz weight (6.5 oz is even better) and hold it up to the light. The less light you can see through the weave, the better. Part of the attraction of flannel, and what adds to the softness, is that it is woven from a loosely spun yarn so the weight and weave have to make up for that to keep it stable and durable.

Flannel is a perfectly acceptable quilt backing as long as it's the correct flannel. "Baby flannel" is rarely the correct choice for something that takes as much wear as a bed quilt. It's designed to feel good against a baby's skin and a baby blanket is not often used as a daily bedcover for more than a few years. The 'good' flannel will run around $10/yd, while the cheap stuff will run around $4/yd. Also, be aware that brushed cotton and flannel are 2 different fabrics although they are often confused. True flannel (cotton and wool) is napped on both sides while brushed cotton is only napped on one side. The brushed cotton is much more likely to pill and wear.

A few tips for quilting with flannel, either for the top or the backing:
Pre-wash and dry on hot. Flannel will shrink 3-8% depending on the quality. Cottons generally shrink 2-4%.
Double check your fabric requirements. Flannel is usually a few inches narrower than quilting cotton.
Cut pieces parallel to the selvedge rather than WOF when possible.
Use a wider seam allowance because of the fraying.
Use a sizing or starch after washing, but no steam.
Handle the fabric as little as possible to prevent stretching.
Lower your presser foot pressure or use a walking foot.
Flannel will dull your needle quickly so change it often. I use a universal or ball point needle, size 11/75 - 14/90.
Clean your machine often! Like every 2 hours often. Flannel generates a ton of lint in your bobbin area.

Maybenaut

Post #115 by Maybenaut » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am

I've used flannel as a batting but never on the top or back.

I'm thinking I might want to make a quilt out of linen, and use flannel for the batting so it doesn't pill.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #116 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Maybenaut wrote:I've used flannel as a batting but never on the top or back.

I'm thinking I might want to make a quilt out of linen, and use flannel for the batting so it doesn't pill.

I love working with linen but hate the fraying. HATE the fraying. It's not quite as bad as Dupioni or lame', but it's pretty bad.

This is a quilted jacket I made using a flannel lining. The owner of it says it is incredibly warm (she wore it in Boston) even though it is very lightweight. This was constructed from linen shirts and dresses and pants from the thrift store. I intentionally did not pre-shrink the flannel either so that once it was quilted and washed it puckered and bubbled around the heavy stitching. Along the left arm is a thread-painted feather and the quote "hope is the thing with feathers" stitched down the arm. It's also the piece that got me juried in as a Fellow with the guild but it was sold before I thought to get photos of the details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maybenaut

Post #117 by Maybenaut » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 pm

That jacket is GORGEOUS!!!

I thought I would tackle the fraying on the linen by using the fake serger stitch on my machine (don't know what it's called - it requires a special foot and does a kind of up-and-down-back-and-forth zigzaggy stitch that binds the raw edges). It's an extra step an will ise a lot of thread, but might be worth the effort.

kate520

Post #118 by kate520 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:17 pm

It made someone very happy! Is that you, Sugar, or the owner?

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

RVInit

Post #119 by RVInit » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:20 pm

That jacket is amazing. Sugar is going to be responsible for convincing quite a few of us to take up quilting, I know she has inspired me.

I bought one of the Craftsy table topper quilt kits that has a linen look. It was marked down quite a bit recently. It arrived yesterday. The fabric is pretty, it's the "quilter's linen", which is cotton that has been printed with a linen look. It's from Kaufman fabrics. I have some real linen in my sewing stash and I may make some small blocks using cotton and some of the linen to see how I like it. I have some "natural" and I think I also have a color or two in my stash. In addition to Sugar's commentary I also found this blog entry from a woman who made two quilts using different types of linen for the background.

http://www.everydayfray.com/2013/10/fro ... -tips.html

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post #120 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Maybenaut wrote:That jacket is GORGEOUS!!!

I thought I would tackle the fraying on the linen by using the fake serger stitch on my machine (don't know what it's called - it requires a special foot and does a kind of up-and-down-back-and-forth zigzaggy stitch that binds the raw edges). It's an extra step an will ise a lot of thread, but might be worth the effort.

It's called an overcast stitch and isn't really necessary. Cut your blocks 1/4" larger and just do a long, wide zig zag around the cut edges. Or starch the crap out of it when it comes out of the dryer and only deal with one piece at the time. The larger the pieces, the easier they are to deal with. Use a wider seam allowance too and you should be fine.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #121 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:32 pm

kate520 wrote:It made someone very happy! Is that you, Sugar, or the owner?

That is the owner, who is also an Episcopal priest and fellow artist. I met her at the ornament auction when I noticed her name on one of the submissions and went looking for her to introduce myself. We had a good laugh about the "halo" she's wearing.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #122 by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:44 pm

RVInit wrote:That jacket is amazing. Sugar is going to be responsible for convincing quite a few of us to take up quilting, I know she has inspired me.

I bought one of the Craftsy table topper quilt kits that has a linen look. It was marked down quite a bit recently. It arrived yesterday. The fabric is pretty, it's the "quilter's linen", which is cotton that has been printed with a linen look. It's from Kaufman fabrics. I have some real linen in my sewing stash and I may make some small blocks using cotton and some of the linen to see how I like it. I have some "natural" and I think I also have a color or two in my stash. In addition to Sugar's commentary I also found this blog entry from a woman who made two quilts using different types of linen for the background.

http://www.everydayfray.com/2013/10/fro ... -tips.html

I love that quilter's linen fabric, but my favorite source for real linen is Goodwill and Salvation Army. Lots of fabric in a $2 men's shirt or a $4 maxi length dress, sometimes with a matching jacket.

The jacket was made with clothes from the thrift store and used all the details like the button placket and yokes and waistbands. The inset pocket on the green part was preserved from a green dress and designed into the pattern as-is when I drafted it. I used a cuff from a shirt on the back to hold a couple of pleats for more ease through the hips, and the yokes from 2 other shirts for color blocking. The bird house is actually a pocket too. There are 3 more MoP buttons at the back neck that match the one on the front and they came off of a linen skirt that made most of the right arm.

RVInit

Post #123 by RVInit » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:45 pm

That is such a great idea. I think I will make a trip to the local thrift shop sometime soon. Yes, there is some serious yardage in a long dress and a man's shirt, for sure. And already preshrunk, manufacturing chemicals washed out and soft to boot. Sounds like a winner.

--- George W Bush

Sugar Magnolia

Post #124 by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:55 am

RVInit wrote:That is such a great idea. I think I will make a trip to the local thrift shop sometime soon. Yes, there is some serious yardage in a long dress and a man's shirt, for sure. And already preshrunk, manufacturing chemicals washed out and soft to boot. Sounds like a winner.

Thought of you when I saw this this morning.
http://www.interweave.com/store/recycle ... dium=email

It even uses a flannel sheet for the backing!

RVInit

Post #125 by RVInit » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:59 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
RVInit wrote:That is such a great idea. I think I will make a trip to the local thrift shop sometime soon. Yes, there is some serious yardage in a long dress and a man's shirt, for sure. And already preshrunk, manufacturing chemicals washed out and soft to boot. Sounds like a winner.

Thought of you when I saw this this morning.
http://www.interweave.com/store/recycle ... dium=email

It even uses a flannel sheet for the backing!

I love it! It is so thoughtful of you to post it here for me (and others of course).

--- George W Bush

Return to “The Lounge”