Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Maybenaut

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Maybenaut »

:like:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:43 pm
:snippity:

Yesterday I finished Jerry Garcia. I didn't make the bear or the guitar but I thought they were nice additions.

jerry garcia.jpg

Next project will either be an Albert Einstein doll or a Kerwyn (from Svengoolie) puppet.
I love him. You are so talented, can't wait to see what you make next!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Neat.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Does Joann’s customer service suck everywhere or just for me?

Half of everything I’ve ordered for local pickup is unavailable by pick up time. One item to be shipped was cancelled after 3 weeks; they sent me a survey yesterday to see how I liked it.

A walking foot is roaming around out there somewhere...ordered May 8, shipped on may 16, four delivery date changes later it’s still not here, but according to Fedex it was 5 miles away 1week ago.

(I know I know - grumble - it’s still annoying)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Does Joann’s customer service suck everywhere or just for me?

Half of everything I’ve ordered for local pickup is unavailable by pick up time. One item to be shipped was cancelled after 3 weeks; they sent me a survey yesterday to see how I liked it.

A walking foot is roaming around out there somewhere...ordered May 8, shipped on may 16, four delivery date changes later it’s still not here, but according to Fedex it was 5 miles away 1week ago.

(I know I know - grumble - it’s still annoying)
Maybe it’s just me, but... I hate JoAnn’s with a passion. I only go there if I need something right. this. minute. That’s rare. The quality of their fabric is awful, and at the two near me, the staff are surly and unhelpful.

I get my stuff from Amazon. There’s a fabric store in Dayton, VA (an hour from my cabin) where I get my batiks and my Berninas worked on. I also buy from Hancock’s of Paducah, KY, occasionally and Miller’s Dry Goods. They’ve had some hard-to-find fabric.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

kate520

Post by kate520 »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:41 pm
Costco has a Janome Sewist 740DC for $500. Would that be a good choice?
:lol:
It’s on special again at Costco- runs from 5/31-6/26. But guess what...

Theyre already sold out!

(Looking for the discussion about buying a new machine and came across your April post, MN.)
The local sew/vac store sells Husqvarna, Viking and Pfaff. Do I want one of those?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

kate520 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:09 pm

The local sew/vac store sells Husqvarna, Viking and Pfaff. Do I want one of those?
YES!!! Viking and Husky are the same company and Pfaff is German. My 3 machines that get the most use are all Vikings and I have a super-duper Pfaff at the studio that can sew through concrete without losing tension. Janome is a step or two lower on my list unless I decide to drop a couple of grand on one of the top end ones.

Maybenaught will be along shortly to sing the praises of Bernina. :-D

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

kate520 wrote:
MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:41 pm
Costco has a Janome Sewist 740DC for $500. Would that be a good choice?
:lol:
It’s on special again at Costco- runs from 5/31-6/26. But guess what...

Theyre already sold out!

(Looking for the discussion about buying a new machine and came across your April post, MN.)
After I posted about the sewing machine, my sister-in-law offered me a couple of face masks that she had made, so I now have those. Yippee! I don't need to sew my own! And, actually, now the stores are starting to stock masks. I have some that I bought from Target and from the grocery store. I keep those in the car in case I forget one of the nice cloth masks my SIL made.

I spent Memorial Day with my brother's family (his wife is the one who sewed the masks) and their college junior daughter also sews. She's going to make me a carrying case for my iPhone + credit cards from a favorite Hawaiian-print shirt (size 2XLT) my sweetie used to wear.

Having relatives who sew is a good thing. I think I can do without my own sewing machine.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm
kate520 wrote:

YES!!! Viking and Husky are the same company and Pfaff is German. My 3 machines that get the most use are all Vikings and I have a super-duper Pfaff at the studio that can sew through concrete without losing tension. Janome is a step or two lower on my list unless I decide to drop a couple of grand on one of the top end ones.

Maybenaught will be along shortly to sing the praises of Bernina. :-D
:lol: I happen to like Bernina, but I’d be happy with any of those. My sister is a Pfaff girl. It’s almost a coke/pepsi thing - I like Bernina because they’re good quality and they’re familiar.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

MY great-grandmother had an old cast iron treadle machine that i hated because I sewed my finger once. Mom had an Elna with knee controls;I learned to sew on that. My current machine is a 40 year old Singer 7105, from an AmEx premium catalog, very basic. I’m ready to treat myself.

I want to shop local. There’s a store a couple of miles over that hosts quilters in the evenings. I’m going tomorrow to check it out.

Two things I want:
Self threading
Needle-up option
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

kate520 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm
MY great-grandmother had an old cast iron treadle machine that i hated because I sewed my finger once. Mom had an Elna with knee controls;I learned to sew on that. My current machine is a 40 year old Singer 7105, from an AmEx premium catalog, very basic. I’m ready to treat myself.

I want to shop local. There’s a store a couple of miles over that hosts quilters in the evenings. I’m going tomorrow to check it out.

Two things I want:
Self threading
Needle-up option
Those two things are essential, but most new machines will have them.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

I have my grandmother's White treadle machine. It takes up space.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

kate520 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Two things I want:
Self threading
Needle-up option
Well, well! Long ago, my my grandma's treadle, I sewed my finger. I sat there a little shocked and thought long and hard about which way to turn it so the needles didn't plunge further in. My brother sews blue jean quilts and has mocked me for years over that. Until yesterday😁 when he got in a hurry and sewed his finger. I think it is a lesson you don't need to learn twice.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Once you have a machine with a knee lift nothing else will do. I would do without an automatic threader way before I will do without a knee lift.

Cheers!
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

My Berninas have knee lifts, but I never use them. I sew standing up.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

RVInit wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:37 am
Once you have a machine with a knee lift nothing else will do. I would do without an automatic threader way before I will do without a knee lift.

Cheers!
I just looked that up. What a great feature! I’ve had old machines with a knee lever for the pedal, but I’d gladly give that up to raise the presser foot!
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

I found a ruddy old heavy wooden rocker at the Goodwill store for $15. and dinky-fied it :-D

It's a bit bright, but it was fun.
Before.jpg
After.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birfers are toast

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:26 am
RVInit wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:37 am

Cheers!
I just looked that up. What a great feature! I’ve had old machines with a knee lever for the pedal, but I’d gladly give that up to raise the presser foot!
Yeah, I feel spoiled whenever I use it. I love it.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

MsDaisy wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:55 pm
I found a ruddy old heavy wooden rocker at the Goodwill store for $15. and dinky-fied it :-D

It's a bit bright, but it was fun.
:snippity:
I love the chair, Daisy! You did good work.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Love the chair! :thumbs:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

That chair is so welcoming! And love the colors!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

kate520

Post by kate520 »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:49 pm
That chair is so welcoming! And love the colors!
AND you did a fabulous job! Smooth!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Ok. There’s a Viking Design II with all the accessories, in perfect condition (seller just bought up) for $455 . It will go higher; auction ends tomorrow evening. There are 3 serious bidders. eBay.

It seems like more machine than I, beginning quilter that I am, need. But I’m hooked on quilting. I might be at this skill level some day. ;)
IYHO, quilters, what’s a good top bid for this? Is it too much, too computerized and complicated? I still want to buy from a local store...but dammit, if this turns out to be a super good deal I don’t want to miss out.

I’m finishing the binding on my first quilt, a lap quilt made with charm squares from the Fat Quarter Shop. I’ll post a pic when I’m all finished. I’m so excited!

#2 will be bed quilt, a color brick pattern I’ve almost finished cutting out. I’m using a semi-ruined king sized linen bedsheet as backing.
#3 Easy Card Trick bed quilt
#4 Robert Kaufman batik sunflower charm packs something

I don’t have a huge fabric stash yet. It’s frustrating that everything is online with far away shipping times. I like to browse and change my mind a million times before I buy.

I just bought a bolt of cotton batting. Next big thing will be a bolt of v\backing but I don’t know which yet.

Now, I’m going to settle in on the sofa with the hand stitching and binge the new season of Queer Eye.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:

I'm not a quilter, but it's an art I really admire! And I admire anyone who does it!
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

kate520 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:19 pm
Ok. There’s a Viking Design II with all the accessories, in perfect condition (seller just bought up) for $455 . It will go higher; auction ends tomorrow evening. There are 3 serious bidders. eBay.

It seems like more machine than I, beginning quilter that I am, need. But I’m hooked on quilting. I might be at this skill level some day. ;)
IYHO, quilters, what’s a good top bid for this? Is it too much, too computerized and complicated? I still want to buy from a local store...but dammit, if this turns out to be a super good deal I don’t want to miss out.

I’m finishing the binding on my first quilt, a lap quilt made with charm squares from the Fat Quarter Shop. I’ll post a pic when I’m all finished. I’m so excited!

#2 will be bed quilt, a color brick pattern I’ve almost finished cutting out. I’m using a semi-ruined king sized linen bedsheet as backing.
#3 Easy Card Trick bed quilt
#4 Robert Kaufman batik sunflower charm packs something

I don’t have a huge fabric stash yet. It’s frustrating that everything is online with far away shipping times. I like to browse and change my mind a million times before I buy.

I just bought a bolt of cotton batting. Next big thing will be a bolt of v\backing but I don’t know which yet.

Now, I’m going to settle in on the sofa with the hand stitching and binge the new season of Queer Eye.
I'd be all over that at that price!!!

What do you mean about a bolt of v/backing? I usually piece my backings from the scraps from the front (always buy a couple of extra yards) or something that sort of matches if I can find 6 yards of it. No idea why I prefer the fun backings but just buying one huge ass piece of fabric that I'll have to use on everything until it runs out would make me hate sewing!

Return to “The Lounge”