My own little corner.

RVInit

Re: My own little corner.

Post by RVInit » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:41 am

Congratulations, Sugar. There is nothing like substantial personal experience to recommend a person - and you clearly have that, in abundance.

I am a biologist and also a naturalist. There are naturalists that I know who do not have a degree in biology and can run circles around many biologists when it comes to first hand knowledge about the natural world, gained from years of experience observing the natural world because not all biologists are naturalists. Those of you who are life long birders know what I'm talking about, as many of you are first rate when it comes to understanding bird behavior, identifying birds, and observing/understanding the myriad intricacies of bird life without having a degree in biology and without being an ornithologist.

There are times and places where the degree is necessary and times and places where it isn't. You have everything you need to succeed admirably as a member of this panel and are absolutely worthy of membership.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

realist

Post by realist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 am

Congratulations Sugar!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 am

Congrats! Michelangelo didn't have a degree either! You make daily art decisions which is an important source of info in determining grants. It sounds to me like your real anxiet is of doing justice to the grant applicants. Everyone on that commission should feel that. It means you want to be a fair and objective judge. Also congrats on being the first woman on the panel!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:01 am

I can't imagine a better choice for that panel. Yay, Sugar!

Image Image Image Image Image

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am

I know you'll do a great job, Sugar, not least because you bring your perspective as a working artist with you. Congrats and keep us up to date on this latest adventure! :thumbs:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Yay, Sugar! Congrats!

You're a working artist who actively supports the arts and other artists. You know how to do it. I know you, you'll keep those pedantic profs in line!

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:02 pm

What Kate said.

+Congrats, good luck & :bighug:

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah, that, to everything everyone else has already said.
► Show Spoiler

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks y'all. The closer to 6:00 it gets, the more my stomach gets knotted up. And then Mike Dunford has to bring up "Fearless Girl" and make me think about artist stuff! Nobody knew arting could be so complex!!

3 tagamets since this morning so I can at least eat this evening and not just sit there and watch them scarf down the chicken schwarma and hummus.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Sugar, you'll be amazing. You are a working artist, so you can bring that practical experience into play. You are strong, smart, and compassionate, a lovely combination to bring to the process. This is a pretty big honour! Congratulations!

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Thanks y'all. The closer to 6:00 it gets, the more my stomach gets knotted up. And then Mike Dunford has to bring up "Fearless Girl" and make me think about artist stuff! Nobody knew arting could be so complex!!

3 tagamets since this morning so I can at least eat this evening and not just sit there and watch them scarf down the chicken schwarma and hummus.
Once you get there, just remember that it is all about the art and you'll be fine. Your expertise is just as relevant (albeit different) as any of the others. Now go do your own impression of "Fearless Girl".

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 am

I know how you feel Sugar. When I am speaking to large groups who know only a small amount about the topic I am not at all nervous. But small groups who I perceive know a lot freak me out.

How did the evening go? I am sure you did well and will not be nervous the next time.

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 am

I think Sugar's got it ass-over-tit: it's the others who are probably going to be intimidated by her breadth of knowledge and skills!

And if they give her trouble, she can always slam them up against the wall and shout "spread them punk!" (or "please conform to broader pedal and brachial posture, professor") - I doubt that a tweedy prof would try that with our own Wonder Woman!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 am

Awesomeness :dance:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you are trying to say?
:think:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:42 pm

So ????????

Mary Quite Contrary

Post by Mary Quite Contrary » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Dying to know how it all went. No matter you ARE my fabric guru. Always :lovestruck:

"My greatest hope is for inclusion and love for all humanity in 2017 and beyond." -Pharrell Williams

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Yay for you, Sugar. Pullin' for ya. :thumbs:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Thanks y'all. The closer to 6:00 it gets, the more my stomach gets knotted up. And then Mike Dunford has to bring up "Fearless Girl" and make me think about artist stuff! Nobody knew arting could be so complex!!

Glad I could be of service in some small way :thumbs:

Seriously, if a little post by a baby lawyer at a place like this, about a totally oddball controversy, is enough to spark you to think about the complexities of artist stuff....

...it's just more proof that they seriously picked exactly the right person for the job. And I do mean exactly.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Just got back! A last minute substitution of one panelist - a local Bluesman for one of the music professors - and the first words out of the bluesman's mouth to me were "I haven't forgotten your work from that show last year. I bought a piece of it after the show. So good to see you again." That relaxed me a lot. I still don't know which piece he bought though, I sold several.

We did the Fellowship applications, including one guy who played with Jimi Hendrix, the Master/Apprentice applications, and the Artist Roster applications. Oddly enough, I knew more about their areas of expertise than they did about mine. My husband and I are huge blues fans and travel to probably a dozen or more blues festivals in the summer, and a lot of my own art involves music and musicians so I've done a lot of research on MS bluesmen in addition to having lived in the Delta for years. One guy said his wife's mother was a quilter and another one said his mother made a quilt when he was little, but that was the extent of their knowledge. One of the roster artists is a repurposer who works with kids doing community projects with old clothing, which I do myself twice a year.

The most nerve-wracking part was the fact that the woman who was applying for the apprentice program was there (the meetings are open to the public as long as they don't say anything) and I was the lead on that discussion. Unfortunately, I had to really dig to think of something positive to begin the discussion with, and then the other panelists asked me questions that were hard to answer positively. I wish I could have given her all the money just because I think quilting is a dying art and any chance to spread the love is a good thing. But honestly, her apprentice's work was probably better than hers and I really saw nothing in her submission that led me to believe she would be able to improve on what the apprentice was already doing. And she hit one of my pet peeves HARD in her application when she submitted 6 photos and only 2 of them named the correct block pattern. Applying to teach someone the cultural traditions of a folkart pretty much demands that you know your shit in that folkway. Calling the absolute MOST basic block known to man (4-patch) by the wrong name (9-patch) gets just all up under my skin. And a Rail Fence is not a string quilt, and a random pieced top is not a crazy quilt, it's just random piecing. Quilting in the ditch is fine for a beginner, but a master quilter should have long since moved on from that.

I did love all of the music submissions though because we got to listen to their music tapes. I even recognized a couple of them and knew a couple of others. One is a guy who won a Grammy last year, was named as an Arts Ambassador for MS and won a Gov. Award for Excellence. Two string bands, a couple of bluegrass singers, oddly enough 2 shape note singers, and a blues guy who gave me chill bumps. Also, a gospel singer who was so bad we couldn't decide if it was a man or a woman. An African dance teacher who gave us a 5 minute video of her class of children with about 30 seconds of her actually visible, and 3 minutes of a gym floor and some feet at the edge of the screen. No idea if it was her feet or not. We decided we didn't see enough of her dance to know if she was any good. A cowboy country singer (who apparently was applying for the grant to pay legal bills??!!) who started off his tape by saying he had composed and written the fist song, which turned out not to be original at all. The music professors and professional blues guy on the panel literally looked at each other, rolled their eyes and fell out laughing. No love for him on the scoring sheets.

All in all, it went really well, I had fun, didn't feel stupid, and will do it again in an instant if I'm asked. Not sure how often they have a need for a fiber artist on the panel, but I'd be happy to step up again if needed.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

:bunny: :bunny: :cheer: :cheer1: :happydance: :like:

We knowed you could do it!!!!!!!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Perfect! :dance:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 am

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

phelana

Post by phelana » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:13 am

I love when you write about these things. I could visualize that meeting with ease.

Maybe i should apply for a grant, I'm ahead of the game on the naming front. Years ago when I worked at the college, I took a box of clippings from The Kansas City Star and photocopied them. They're all the quilt patterns that they used to publish. I think I even know which shelf holds that binder.

Now can I get a grant to photocopy it and send to this poor lady? We'll call it a public service. I also want to buy Fairchild's Encyclopedia of Clothing for all the catalog copywriters who call any button front shirt a 'button-down' shirt.

And I'm going to go play Candy crush so I can stop obsessing about blue wool fabric and captain/admirals hats. This thing would be done if the costumer would just let me start from scratch...But nope, I'm covering a black hat with navy wool. It's 3 am and I want to finish stitch the seam binding around the edge and fo the stitches that make it a tricorn hat. There's also this problem of the fabric stretching as you work around the brim. If only I could have started from scratch, slapped heavy interfacing or buckram in beaten, turned the brim &.used bias binding on the edge...If only. The crown is four pieces.

So I'll finish the sloppy tomorrow, prototype a pattern on fabric that I have and sell her on it Saturday. Maybe I'll even see it during the work party Saturday.

I've become a bit obsessed with hatmaking since volunteering at the high school drama Dept. Plus I sometimes get to teach the kids how to sew on a button. The guys are actually more receptive and better at sewing than the girls. We really need a push to bring back Home Ec classes to schools.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 am

phelana wrote:I love when you write about these things. I could visualize that meeting with ease.

Maybe i should apply for a grant, I'm ahead of the game on the naming front. Years ago when I worked at the college, I took a box of clippings from The Kansas City Star and photocopied them. They're all the quilt patterns that they used to publish. I think I even know which shelf holds that binder.

Now can I get a grant to photocopy it and send to this poor lady? We'll call it a public service. I also want to buy Fairchild's Encyclopedia of Clothing for all the catalog copywriters who call any button front shirt a 'button-down' shirt.

And I'm going to go play Candy crush so I can stop obsessing about blue wool fabric and captain/admirals hats. This thing would be done if the costumer would just let me start from scratch...But nope, I'm covering a black hat with navy wool. It's 3 am and I want to finish stitch the seam binding around the edge and fo the stitches that make it a tricorn hat. There's also this problem of the fabric stretching as you work around the brim. If only I could have started from scratch, slapped heavy interfacing or buckram in beaten, turned the brim &.used bias binding on the edge...If only. The crown is four pieces.

So I'll finish the sloppy tomorrow, prototype a pattern on fabric that I have and sell her on it Saturday. Maybe I'll even see it during the work party Saturday.

I've become a bit obsessed with hatmaking since volunteering at the high school drama Dept. Plus I sometimes get to teach the kids how to sew on a button. The guys are actually more receptive and better at sewing than the girls. We really need a push to bring back Home Ec classes to schools.
:) Since I knew she was sitting there, I sort of made it a point to say the right block names, and gave a 30 second history lesson on the very specific (real) definition of a crazy quilt. No idea if she was paying attention or not.

I'll see your button-down shirt and raise you the copywriters who don't know the difference between a pinstripe and a chalk stripe.

Have you tried gluing the seam binding down before stitching it? Regular white Elmer's works great and it will stabilize the edge until you can stitch it. Or, you can just glue the wool directly to the existing hat. That might not work as well, but it will be better than not doing anything.

Those Kansas City Star patterns are wonderful! Over the course of 30 years they printed about 1000 patterns, and my grandmother had a box of the original newsprint patterns. They were all sorted by pattern and she'd take one out, trace the pattern pieces onto a cereal box and put the paper patterns right back into the box. Adding the 1/4" seam allowances made me crazy and is probably the reason I'm an art quilter and not a traditional quilter today. Who needs matching points anyway!?

phelana

Post by phelana » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Have you tried gluing the seam binding down before stitching it? Regular white Elmer's works great and it will stabilize the edge until you can stitch it. Or, you can just glue the wool directly to the existing hat. That might not work as well, but it will be better than not doing anything.
I try to avoid glues. If you have to take things apart or add embellishments, glue is tough to stick a needle through. We won't even talk about the person who used adhesive backed Velcro on a Lycra jumpsuit...And it was the hooks side no less. The Velcro tried eating the jumpsuit on the rack. Fun times trying to get that off. I finally resorted to sewing new Velcro over the top. Duct tape is also evil on fabric costumes. Our drama Dept rents out their costumes. Non-sewers do evil things.

Did mention that she stuck a cheap near plastic bowler hat under the crown?. I cut the brim off. She thought it would just fold up...Umm physics.
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Those Kansas City Star patterns are wonderful! Over the course of 30 years they printed about 1000 patterns, and my grandmother had a box of the original newsprint patterns. They were all sorted by pattern and she'd take one out, trace the pattern pieces onto a cereal box and put the paper patterns right back into the box. Adding the 1/4" seam allowances made me crazy and is probably the reason I'm an art quilter and not a traditional quilter today. Who needs matching points anyway!?
My grandmother did the same thing with the cereal boxes. I don't have the patience or precision to match points. My MIL of the quilting store sews perfect 1/4 inch seams. It's maddening. My quilting was hand pieced, a cathedral​ window. Although, I did machine stitch some blocks before turning & folding.

I've been collecting fabrics for an applique US map quilt. I want to terrorize the kids by quizzing them on state names.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Return to “The Lounge”