My own little corner.

Sugar Magnolia

Re: My own little corner.

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Bad weekend. She is in a lot of pain, her mouth is swelling to the point it is pushing the plastic palate guard out of whack, she has some sort of shooting pain in her jaw, and her tongue is raw from the edges of the palate guard being out of position. Drugs, ice, heat, sleep, nothing seems to give her any relief. Even the Boost and Ensure is too thick for her to swallow comfortably so she's living on strained chicken noodle soup juice. That can't continue for much longer. The pain meds are doing nothing at this point, and I'm so stressed out from hearing her crying and moaning I feel like I'm going to shatter into little pieces. No word from her detective for a week now, and he is no longer returning my texts. My husband lies awake at night trying to come up with some action to take to get things rolling but we're both coming up blank. I've called several of the numbers people suggested for AT&T but no return calls yet. I am so stressed out, I'm beading Christmas ornaments with sz 11. I know that sounds crazy, but the little fiddly stuff that I have to count (8 of these, 1 of those, 8 more of these) at least keeps my mind from wandering into dark cul de sacs. I hear her in the bathroom right now gagging from the pain. 2 months ago, we thought we had a handle on the financial stuff with the gofund me and our own money, but that's looking pretty unrealistic. We've cancelled the additional reward through crimestoppers so when we get that back we'll have some more money to put towards it, but it won't last long at the rate we're going. We've lost 25 lbs between the 2 of us without even trying.

OK. Enough whining for today. Waiting for the surgeon to call her back and find out if they need to see her in the office today or have any suggestions for something she can do to ease her pain.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:30 pm

:( :cry: :brokenheart:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:02 pm

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Awww...geez, I'm sorry, Sugar. :bighug:

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:26 pm

:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
It hurts so much when your child is in pain. I hope she and you and your hubby get relief soon.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:43 am

I am horrified at what you are all going through. Pain. I hope that some medical professional will be able to find something to relieve it for your daughter. With pain in check, it would be one less awful thing to deal with. It would be something.

phelana

Post by phelana » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:42 pm

:bighug: :brokenheart:

There's nothing worse than that helpless feeling. Whine/vent/call it whatever. I think it's therapeutic.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

June bug

Post by June bug » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 am

Oh Sugar, I'm so sorry. :brokenheart: Keeping you all in my prayers.

As a reminder to all, here's the link to Aidan's go fund me page:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:30 am

My poor baby just can't catch a break. She called early Saturday morning and said "the power company" had just pulled the meter to her house because the bill hadn't been paid for 6 months and she needed to "set up an account" to get it turned back on. He was not in an Entergy uniform nor a marked truck and he couldn't answer any of her questions and had no paperwork to give or show her. He had initially rung the doorbell twice, but she was asleep at 7:30 and didn't get to the door before he went around to the side of the house and took the meter. She stopped him in the driveway and had the short conversation with him before he left. She said he was surprised when she stepped out and suspects he thought nobody was home when she didn't answer the door immediately.

He was a w/m in his late 40s-early 50s wearing khaki pants and shirt, no insignia, driving a small white 2 door pick up with a yellow bubble light on top. No markings on the truck at all.

After almost an hour on the phone trying to get a human at Entergy, the representative of course told me he wasn't an Entergy employee or contractor. We already knew that because the bill was up-to-date and it wouldn't go 6 months before disconnect anyway. Not to mention the fact they don't disconnect under any circumstances when the temp drops to freezing, and Fri night was our first freeze warning. She said they don't disconnect power except during business hours M-F, they always wear uniforms, have visible ID and drive a marked truck. They do not use contractors for disconnects. The real employees will have paperwork with a contact number on it, a balance due and any other information the customer needs.

We made a police report about the theft and the officer noticed that the little lock tag thing on the meter wasn't broken or cut so it's sort of weird. The whole thing is weird anyway because who steals an electric meter? Of course, because of the break in and attack on her this summer she was a bit freaked out about it, too. Just the thought that someone was walking around the property after being brazen enough to ring the bell was sort of scary.

Medically, she has 3 more PT sessions for her hand before the insurance runs out, a root canal now that the posts are in, and probably new teeth by Feb!!! We'll find out the first week of Dec if they have to do more surgery on her hand but it's looking pretty likely that they will. She went with me to an artist reception the other night and people who know me but not her who had been following her progress kept coming up and asking how she was doing. I told them "ask her" and they were amazed at how well she has progressed. I'm sure it helped that we were outside at night so the scars weren't so obvious, but it made her feel good.

ETA Huge props to Entergy for getting her power turned back on within about 20 minutes.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:18 am

Stolen electric meters is actually a thing. I read an article about it recently. They steal the meter and sell them on the black market. The buyer replaces their home meter with the stilen one, which captures the power use, then swaps it out with the "real" meter until the meter is read, then puts the stolen one back on.

Seems like a lot of work to steal electricity, but there must be enough people willing to do it. I don't know whether the advent of the net meter will make it more difficult. We have them at out home and cabin; the meters aren't read personally by meter readers around here. They send out a signal.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 am

Maybenaut wrote:Stolen electric meters is actually a thing. I read an article about it recently. They steal the meter and sell them on the black market. The buyer replaces their home meter with the stilen one, which captures the power use, then swaps it out with the "real" meter until the meter is read, then puts the stolen one back on.

Seems like a lot of work to steal electricity, but there must be enough people willing to do it. I don't know whether the advent of the net meter will make it more difficult. We have them at out home and cabin; the meters aren't read personally by meter readers around here. They send out a signal.
Our meters are read by a guy with a magic wand driving down the street. They don't even have to stop. They do the same with reading our water.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:06 am

Glad to hear positive developments with your daughter's hand, her teeth, and her electricity! I would have been a bit freaked out too by the fake meter reader.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

A search for 'stealing electric meters' turns up quite a few articles starting from 2009. They are usually from uninhabited houses or houses that look uninhabited. They install them in their own places such as a grow house. The service customer connected to the meter then gets the bill. That's something to look out for in the coming months. That would be less likely in this case since the thief was accosted and the theft reported right away.

http://www.denverpost.com/2009/09/19/po ... n-economy/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:49 am

Yesterday on our Nextdoor, a post went up from the guy who schedules the ER residents at the university hospital here, asking for donations of fast food gift cards and snacks for the break room. It disappeared in just a quick minute though, so I PMed him to find out why. He said that soliciting donations for state employees was illegal so he had to remove it.

This is the hospital where Aidan was treated after her attack and where she is still seeing doctors, and they did an amazing job throughout the entire process. So I got up this morning and made jambalaya (plain, chicken, and sausage) for 43 ER docs. We'll be delivering it, along with king cakes, Community coffee, Gambino's French bread, and Zapp's Voodoo chips at 9:00 this morning.

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!!!!

p.s. Aidan threw in some beads and doubloons for them too.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:03 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Yesterday on our Nextdoor, a post went up from the guy who schedules the ER residents at the university hospital here, asking for donations of fast food gift cards and snacks for the break room. It disappeared in just a quick minute though, so I PMed him to find out why. He said that soliciting donations for state employees was illegal so he had to remove it.

This is the hospital where Aidan was treated after her attack and where she is still seeing doctors, and they did an amazing job throughout the entire process. So I got up this morning and made jambalaya (plain, chicken, and sausage) for 43 ER docs. We'll be delivering it, along with king cakes, Community coffee, Gambino's French bread, and Zapp's Voodoo chips at 9:00 this morning.

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!!!!

p.s. Aidan threw in some beads and doubloons for them too.
Good for you! And the hospital's address is.......

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am

LOL

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am

HAPPY MARDI GRAS TO YOU, SUGAR!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:33 am

If I haven't said so before, you are made of top-quality stuff, Sugar. :clap:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 am

RoadScholar wrote:If I haven't said so before, you are made of top-quality stuff, Sugar. :clap:
:thumbs: Absolutely no doubt about that! :clap:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks y'all, but it was a small thing to do for the rock stars of the ER where they treated her. They did seem to enjoy it. Emailed photos about 20 minutes after I dropped it all off and they had already dived into all 3 pans of jambalaya. No way there was any left by noon.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Thanks y'all, but it was a small thing to do for the rock stars of the ER where they treated her.
Sugar - people like you, who make jambalaya out of lemons, give me a reason to hope we will yet survive the Trump era. :clap: :thumbs: :kiss:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 pm

June bug wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:Thanks y'all, but it was a small thing to do for the rock stars of the ER where they treated her.
Sugar - people like you, who make jambalaya out of lemons, give me a reason to hope we will yet survive the Trump era. :clap: :thumbs: :kiss:
:yeah: for sure. :clap: :clap: :clap:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 am

So I got a call from the MS Arts Commission a few weeks ago asking if I would be interested in serving on the panel that reviews and makes recommendations for grant recipients. I have received several grants from them in the past so I'm familiar with the process from that side and I was thrilled to be invited to participate and support them in another way. I didn't really think much about it until I told the other artists I was having lunch with about it and they all seemed inordinately impressed. When I got the official information email and saw the "recognized expert in their field" and "have the recognition and respect of other artists for their work" I got a clue. I did love the part about "being an active supporter and leader in the arts in the State" though. Then I started getting the "homework" from them. 19 applicants our panel will review, with multiple pages of applications from each, CDs with musical performances and tons of photos of current artwork from the visual artists.

We have a work session planned for this evening when the other panelists arrive in town and then all day tomorrow and possibly into Friday morning to finish. I am really excited to be involved in this and see another aspect of how the whole process works and what goes into determining where the money goes and how it's divided up between the applicants. What parts (creativity? ability? talent? originality?) hold the most weight? What types of things are people applying for? How do they think the awards will enhance the arts in the state? Sausage making at its finest.

This post isn't really to brag about being asked, it's more to shore up my feeling of inadequacy. The other people on the panel are all male college professors and I'm already feeling like a total imposter before ever even meeting them. I'm usually pretty confident going into something like this, but for some reason, this one has me a nervous wreck and it hasn't even begun yet! Maybe the meeting this evening will calm my nerves, but I'm praying they don't start with the applications I've been assigned to lead the discussion on. Let's start with someone else so I can screw up my courage first. Funny how I jump at the chance to teach a class of 30 people or speak before a crowd of 100 with absolutely no qualms at all, but sitting down with a small group just wigs me right the hell out.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 am

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

You'll do just fine.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 am

You'll do better than fine.

ms.tek has served on the panel that selects grants for a govt breast-cancer research program (BCRP).. she's not a doctor, she's not a medical researcher.. but she is a cancer survivor. The workload there is pretty huge, and the panel is pretty intimidating, but other than some jerks who were just terminally full of themselves things have always ended up going very well.

So, you be you. Remember, you're there for a reason - just like everyone else on the panel.

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Return to “The Lounge”