Fogbow woodworkers' club

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 11437
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#401

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:10 am

We have a small area with a stacked washer/dryer and the water heater tucked in a door-less closet off the guest bath. Tricksy gets behind the washer and can barely squeeze out now at 14 weeks. We need to have the guest bathroom door open to vent the dryer. Thus we need a screen door. This is the look:
64CFD8E3-EF09-4C4C-9FEF-59D5708A2FAF.jpeg
I have a handyman working on the door frame and the wood parts of the door, but I’m stumped on what goes where the screen would be. This looks finer than the Home Depot screen, and white. Decorative metal sheets have been suggested but they look like shop class to me. Vinyl porch screens have some interesting patterns, but yuck vinyl. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#402

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 am

How rugged does it have to be? Can a nylon mesh cloth work? Google nylon mesh cloth and take a look. Maybe google mesh fabrics.


MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 11437
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#403

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:48 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 am
How rugged does it have to be? Can a nylon mesh cloth work? Google nylon mesh cloth and take a look. Maybe google mesh fabrics.
Needs to be pretty rugged as it has to hold up to a cat. Mesh fabric seems too flimsy.


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

User avatar
woodworker
Posts: 2608
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#404

Post by woodworker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am

How about louvered doors, sized to fit.

https://www.houzz.com/product/69951769- ... gIKbPD_BwE


Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 11437
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#405

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 am

woodworker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am
How about louvered doors, sized to fit.

https://www.houzz.com/product/69951769- ... gIKbPD_BwE
I’ve never been happy with louvered doors. The dryer is hot damp air and I’m looking for maximum ventilation. Louvered seems to trap damp more than I want. Something like this might work. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TuffBilt-4- ... /301545124


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9333
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#406

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:26 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 am
woodworker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am
How about louvered doors, sized to fit.

https://www.houzz.com/product/69951769- ... gIKbPD_BwE
I’ve never been happy with louvered doors. The dryer is hot damp air and I’m looking for maximum ventilation. Louvered seems to trap damp more than I want. Something like this might work. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TuffBilt-4- ... /301545124
The simple solution would be vinyl lattice fence panels. The openings are too small for her to get through so no screening needed. They're inexpensive, easy to cut and frame out, and come in several patterns like the traditional diamond, squares and a cool looking branch sort of style. You can buy them in white or paint any color you want. Regular fiberglass screening can also be painted and the wood support framing can be any sort of interesting pattern you want.

Lowe's has a bunch of different patterns of vinyl panels. I love the Mondrian and Celtic.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... 4294965821



User avatar
Shizzle Popped
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: South of Circle City
Occupation: Semi-Retired

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#407

Post by Shizzle Popped » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am

This stuff is stupid expensive but it looks nice and should hold up well. It all depends on your budget as a set of 4 panels could easily set you back a grand or more. (Google search "decorative wire mesh for furniture" for other options):
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-materi ... ative-mesh

Rockler has some 16" by 42" mesh panels for a little over $100 each but the mesh spacing is pretty large.
http://www.rockler.com/decorative-wire- ... ique-brass


If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9333
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#408

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 am

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am
This stuff is stupid expensive but it looks nice and should hold up well. It all depends on your budget as a set of 4 panels could easily set you back a grand or more. (Google search "decorative wire mesh for furniture" for other options):
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-materi ... ative-mesh

Rockler has some 16" by 42" mesh panels for a little over $100 each but the mesh spacing is pretty large.
http://www.rockler.com/decorative-wire- ... ique-brass
That's some fancy-ass chicken wire and hardware cloth! A can of Rustoleum would be cheaper.



User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 7080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#409

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 am

How about bronze screen? It takes on that greenish patina of bronze statuary after a while. Very tough, and no rusting or tearing.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 11437
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#410

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am
This stuff is stupid expensive but it looks nice and should hold up well. It all depends on your budget as a set of 4 panels could easily set you back a grand or more. (Google search "decorative wire mesh for furniture" for other options):
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-materi ... ative-mesh

Rockler has some 16" by 42" mesh panels for a little over $100 each but the mesh spacing is pretty large.
http://www.rockler.com/decorative-wire- ... ique-brass

Nice!! The panels from TWP are such that I might only need 1. Also, the google hint is great.

I’m also getting a sample of the vinyl stuff from Lowes, and a white pet screen from somewhere.

Thanks all!


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 9333
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#411

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:58 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:55 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am
This stuff is stupid expensive but it looks nice and should hold up well. It all depends on your budget as a set of 4 panels could easily set you back a grand or more. (Google search "decorative wire mesh for furniture" for other options):
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-materi ... ative-mesh

Rockler has some 16" by 42" mesh panels for a little over $100 each but the mesh spacing is pretty large.
http://www.rockler.com/decorative-wire- ... ique-brass

Nice!! The panels from TWP are such that I might only need 1. Also, the google hint is great.

I’m also getting a sample of the vinyl stuff from Lowes, and a white pet screen from somewhere.

Thanks all!
At the rate she's growing, she'll be too big to squeeze back there by the time you get it finished anyway!



User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 4977
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#412

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:06 am

Today is the first time I'd checked out this thread. Wow, people!

Speaking of cool old, tools, I do have my dad's old hand drill. I guess that's what you'd call it. Wooden knob and crank handle thingie. Someday I'll hang it on the wall just because I love the look of it.

:clap:


ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 7080
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

#413

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 am

If it has a bit in it, that’d be a brace and bit.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”