Fogbow woodworkers' club

Whatever4

Re: Fogbow woodworkers' club

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:10 am

We have a small area with a stacked washer/dryer and the water heater tucked in a door-less closet off the guest bath. Tricksy gets behind the washer and can barely squeeze out now at 14 weeks. We need to have the guest bathroom door open to vent the dryer. Thus we need a screen door. This is the look:
64CFD8E3-EF09-4C4C-9FEF-59D5708A2FAF.jpeg
I have a handyman working on the door frame and the wood parts of the door, but I’m stumped on what goes where the screen would be. This looks finer than the Home Depot screen, and white. Decorative metal sheets have been suggested but they look like shop class to me. Vinyl porch screens have some interesting patterns, but yuck vinyl. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 am

How rugged does it have to be? Can a nylon mesh cloth work? Google nylon mesh cloth and take a look. Maybe google mesh fabrics.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:48 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 am
How rugged does it have to be? Can a nylon mesh cloth work? Google nylon mesh cloth and take a look. Maybe google mesh fabrics.
Needs to be pretty rugged as it has to hold up to a cat. Mesh fabric seems too flimsy.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am

How about louvered doors, sized to fit.

https://www.houzz.com/product/69951769- ... gIKbPD_BwE

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 am

woodworker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am

I’ve never been happy with louvered doors. The dryer is hot damp air and I’m looking for maximum ventilation. Louvered seems to trap damp more than I want. Something like this might work. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TuffBilt-4- ... /301545124

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:26 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 am
woodworker wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:08 am

I’ve never been happy with louvered doors. The dryer is hot damp air and I’m looking for maximum ventilation. Louvered seems to trap damp more than I want. Something like this might work. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TuffBilt-4- ... /301545124
The simple solution would be vinyl lattice fence panels. The openings are too small for her to get through so no screening needed. They're inexpensive, easy to cut and frame out, and come in several patterns like the traditional diamond, squares and a cool looking branch sort of style. You can buy them in white or paint any color you want. Regular fiberglass screening can also be painted and the wood support framing can be any sort of interesting pattern you want.

Lowe's has a bunch of different patterns of vinyl panels. I love the Mondrian and Celtic.
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm ... 4294965821

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am

This stuff is stupid expensive but it looks nice and should hold up well. It all depends on your budget as a set of 4 panels could easily set you back a grand or more. (Google search "decorative wire mesh for furniture" for other options):
https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-materi ... ative-mesh

Rockler has some 16" by 42" mesh panels for a little over $100 each but the mesh spacing is pretty large.
http://www.rockler.com/decorative-wire- ... ique-brass

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 am

Shizzle Popped wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:11 am
This stuff is stupid expensive but it looks nice and should hold up well. It all depends on your budget as a set of 4 panels could easily set you back a grand or more. (Google search "decorative wire mesh for furniture" for other options):

Rockler has some 16" by 42" mesh panels for a little over $100 each but the mesh spacing is pretty large.
That's some fancy-ass chicken wire and hardware cloth! A can of Rustoleum would be cheaper.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 am

How about bronze screen? It takes on that greenish patina of bronze statuary after a while. Very tough, and no rusting or tearing.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Shizzle Popped wrote:

Nice!! The panels from TWP are such that I might only need 1. Also, the google hint is great.

I’m also getting a sample of the vinyl stuff from Lowes, and a white pet screen from somewhere.

Thanks all!

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:58 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:55 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote:

Nice!! The panels from TWP are such that I might only need 1. Also, the google hint is great.

I’m also getting a sample of the vinyl stuff from Lowes, and a white pet screen from somewhere.

Thanks all!
At the rate she's growing, she'll be too big to squeeze back there by the time you get it finished anyway!

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:06 am

Today is the first time I'd checked out this thread. Wow, people!

Speaking of cool old, tools, I do have my dad's old hand drill. I guess that's what you'd call it. Wooden knob and crank handle thingie. Someday I'll hang it on the wall just because I love the look of it.

:clap:

ImageImageImage x4

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 am

If it has a bit in it, that’d be a brace and bit.

X3

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:54 am

IMG_5308 red.jpeg
IMG_5310 red.jpg
An extrapolation of Edgar Poe's 1849 coffin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

X3

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Is this a reproduction that you made? Interesting that it's got obtuse dovetails.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 pm

jmj wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 pm
Is this a reproduction that you made? Interesting that it's got obtuse dovetails.
Yeah, it's scenery. Just something to indicate/simulate old style joinery. They were easy to do, like 5 minutes each, and would have no structural value whatsoever.

We made it for a mock funeral (based on the pre-fame 1849 one) being held at the Carroll Mansion, a block from where Poe was found delirious. He was without means, so his friend Henry Herring paid for the hasty burial and a quickly-made simple Mahogany coffin. Herring was a lumber importer, hence the Mahogany. It was reported to have been so simple that it had no padding, ornaments, or even handles.

On the other hand, the name plate is modeled after an actual fragment of the 1849 coffin. It is in the possession of the Poe Collection and Archive at the Pratt Central Library.

Poe coffin fragment.jpeg
His original grave had no marker, just a number.

There will be a laying-in. Visitors will be given mourning scarves for their arms and can buy a votive candle to place in a stand in memory of the man.

Other artists are making Edgar.

X3

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 pm
Yeah, it's scenery. That's just something to indicate old style joinery. They were easy to do, like 5 minutes each, and would have no structural value whatsoever.
When you say "it's scenery", do you mean that the dovetails are scenery? Or that the coffin is scenery? And does that mean that the dovetails are not real and are just painted to look like dovetails or something? If they're real and you can do them in 5 minutes each, then I'm quite impressed.

Here's my current project that has been stalled numerous times and I'm having trouble finishing. It's a 'chimney cupboard' from an older edition of Fine Woodworking. The picture makes it look close to finished, but there's still a lot of work to do. It's about as tall as me, and it's going to live in the bathroom when it's done.
chimney-cupboard.jpg

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Both. The coffin is just for the funeral display, and the "dovetails" are three cuts with a backsaw and a couple chisel cuts, then the triangular corner of a scrap board of walnut is inserted and glued in. Glue dries, trim back with same chisel.

Due to the grain direction, they would have no strength at all, and so are basically scenery. It just looks cool. :dance:

X3

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm

It's taken ages but the shop in the new house is finally coming together. This is the 3rd bay of the garage and was unfinished when I started. They had partly insulated the walls but the insulation had been left open and rodents had been nesting in it so it all had to come out. I corrected a few problems with the wiring (a circuit shared with the exterior outlets had no GFCI on it, 20 amp outlets on the 15 amp circuit and a 15 amp GFCI on the 20 amp circuit), added some outlets, insulated the walls and back of the garage doors, drywalled, installed eight 4,000 lumen LED shop lights, and had a ductless heat pump installed. It's a little tighter than I would like but I can pull the cars out and wheel any of the tools into the other bays if needed.

Sadly, there are enough projects in the house that need to be completed that it will probably be a while before much woodworking is done out here. At least I can find my tools and have a space to work now.
ManCave.jpg

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Return to “The Lounge”