Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Notorial Dissent

Re: Horses! and other beloved 'farm' animals

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:35 am

My admittedly dated knowledge from people I knew who raised sheep was of them complaining about how difficult it was to get the ewes to take care of one lamb and two was almost impossible. Goats with three or four on the other hand an entirely different matter, depending on the breed and line.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:53 am

Perhaps it was the line they were breeding? My anecdotal source of information says the family ranch never had problems with ewes taking care of the lambs, not even twins.

The sheep were mostly Suffolks or Hampshires, or a cross of those two breeds.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am

Speaking of horses, a friend of ours had a serious accident last week. The horse she was on had a mini stroke and went down on top of her and into the wall. She was pretty badly injured. Two nights in the hospital and she’s home now, but out of commission for at least a month. Her helmet saved her.
I am certain my helmet saved my life this week. I was in the situation I’ve heard others claim as the reason they DO NOT wear a helmet. Safe older well trained horse, was walking (literally only two steps), and he fell down and landed on top of me.

I wear a Charles Owen because I’ve had a previous serious concussion and this helmet has higher safety ratings than some. I’ve got memory loss and concussion and had a small bleed in my brain. It’s stable now but I’m woozy and wobbly and I can’t do anything for a while.

Get the best helmet you can afford. CO Jr8 is $150 or so. Wear it even on your safest horse even at the walk. Save your own life and buckle up, my dear friends.
So WEAR YOUR HELMET, please. This was an extremely scary few days. The elbow stitches and the avulsion fracture of her finger, the bruised hip et. al. are minor compared to what could have happened to her without the helmet. And yes, she’s going to get a new one now.

Also, the horse is eating and drinking at last report.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 pm

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:35 pm

tek

Post by tek » Sat May 25, 2019 3:55 pm

daughter.tek is helping to organize and run a Dressage clinic this weekend, featuring Jan Ebeling - who, among other things, rode Rafalca1 at the 2012 Olympics (and I believe he still rides Rafalca today) .. daughter.tek and her trainer were working with Jan down in Florida2 this winter, and one thing lead to another.

I'm on the hook to help set up the venue early tomorrow morning, and might do some photography-for-pay depending on how things go. Gonna be good weather. I should have some pix to post..

1Ann Romney's horse.
2daughter.tek ended up in the chow line behind Mitt at one point.

There's no way back
from there to here

tek

Post by tek » Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 pm

Rut roh.

One of the 'sponsors' is balking about the food costs at the last minute ... jeez.. pizza?

Looks like Dad might be smoking some brisket tomorrow and pulling together all the fixin's for Monday's lunch...

We're gonna be raisin' the bar for dressage clinic luncheons ;)

There's no way back
from there to here

tek

Post by tek » Mon May 27, 2019 6:16 am

Daughter and Hobie getting the Olympic treatment..
d-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There's no way back
from there to here

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 27, 2019 10:45 am

tek wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 pm
Rut roh.

One of the 'sponsors' is balking about the food costs at the last minute ... jeez.. pizza?

Looks like Dad might be smoking some brisket tomorrow and pulling together all the fixin's for Monday's lunch...

We're gonna be raisin' the bar for dressage clinic luncheons ;)
Way to go, Dad!!!

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 am

tek wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:16 am
Daughter and Hobie getting the Olympic treatment..

d-1.jpg
Nice!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon May 27, 2019 5:10 pm

I am pages behind here and don't know if this has been posted. Sorry if duplicate. I didn't want to forget this cute story.
Homeless Rooster Keeps Returning At Auto Shop And Finally Becomes A Full-Time “Employee”

One summer day in North Carolina, a rooster wandered in an auto shop. The workers at the shop asked around for the owner of the rooster, but they weren’t able to track where he came from. They fed him leftovers and thought he’d just leave on his own.

When the employees came back to work after a long weekend, the rooster was still there, just like he was waiting for them to come back. Eventually, the guys accepted him as their own and named him Earl. He’s been living at the shop ever since, and became everyone’s favorite co-worker, becoming a celebrity among the customers as well.

The garage’s co-owner Joe Gallo told in an interview with The Dodo that Earl usually sleeps in a tree at the back of the shop, but when the weather is bad, the guys on shift let him in for the night and ensure he stays dry and safe. In the morning, he comes running as soon as the first guy arrives and opens the shop. Earl’s day starts just like that. He gets some food from an employee and then goes around the garage looking for bugs and spiders, pecking and looking under the benches and tool boxes. Earl also likes to greet the employees when they arrive at the auto shop.
It’s been a year since Earl the rooster showed up at the auto shop and he has become a local celebrity. The R and R Garage quite popular in North Carolina, also because of Earl, and now they’re thinking about making him the subject of their new logo and uniform shirt. Scroll down and check out photos of Earl the rooster and his typical day at work.
<snip - more photos at the link>

http://justsomething.co/homeless-rooste ... a5CEcl0Mt8

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Dolly wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:10 pm
I am pages behind here and don't know if this has been posted. Sorry if duplicate. I didn't want to forget this cute story.
Homeless Rooster Keeps Returning At Auto Shop And Finally Becomes A Full-Time “Employee”

:snippity:
The garage’s co-owner Joe Gallo told in an interview with The Dodo that Earl usually sleeps in a tree at the back of the shop, but when the weather is bad, the guys on shift let him in for the night and ensure he stays dry and safe. In the morning, he comes running as soon as the first guy arrives and opens the shop. Earl’s day starts just like that. He gets some food from an employee and then goes around the garage looking for bugs and spiders, pecking and looking under the benches and tool boxes. Earl also likes to greet the employees when they arrive at the auto shop.
:snippity:

http://justsomething.co/homeless-rooste ... a5CEcl0Mt8
Well, with a name like that, you will be now down on the pecking order :lol:

Boxley

Post by Boxley » Mon May 27, 2019 9:08 pm

I hope he stays safe. If something were to happen to him, they'd have to change the earl.

I'll let myself out.

Retired Wildlife Biologist. I drive a sharp, fast Morgan put to a marathon carriage.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 am

Boxley! :rotflmao:

When reality is outlawed only outlaws will have reality.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue May 28, 2019 9:01 am

Boxley wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:08 pm
I hope he stays safe. If something were to happen to him, they'd have to change the earl.

I'll let myself out.
And here my thought was 'wait until he gets mean and he turns into Robert Devereux'.

tek

Post by tek » Tue May 28, 2019 6:33 pm

so while serving lunch at the 'event' this weekend, I met a woman who now owns one of daughter.tek's first lesson horses..
'Koko' ..
Koko is now well over 30 years old..

daughter.tek and this woman had a discussion that brought back a time long ago for me..

PS: lunch was well-received ;)

There's no way back
from there to here

tek

Post by tek » Tue May 28, 2019 6:37 pm

PPS: lunch:
IMGP2294sm.jpg
It was a beautiful, if breezy, early summer day at the Mt Holyoke Equestrian Center..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There's no way back
from there to here

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 28, 2019 6:46 pm

tek wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:37 pm
PPS: lunch:

<snip photo>

It was a beautiful, if breezy, early summer day at the Mt Holyoke Equestrian Center..
Nice job. It looks good. What a great guy / dad for doing all this and also sharing it with us. Thanks.

:bighug:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 am

Hobie: nom nom nom

DECF896F-669E-400A-A330-F5FA44AB655A_sm.jpg

There's no way back
from there to here

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 am

Ah, helping clean up the edges of the lawn!

Weed whacking with the string trimmer is a daily chore around here. Could I borrow Hobie, please?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:00 am

Hobie is such a cutie pie!!!! :lovestruck:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:00 am
Hobie is such a cutie pie!!!! :lovestruck:
:like:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:17 pm

LL poster wrote:Ireland - Highlights from the first day of the Appleby Horse Fair 2019
The Appleby Horse Fair got underway this week in the English county of Cumbria.

The event is described on its own website as "an annual gathering of Gypsies and Travellers."

It attracts about 10,000 Gypsies and Travellers, about 1000 caravans, several hundred horse-drawn vehicles, and about 30,000 visitors.

The horses are washed and trotted up and down the flashing lane on most days of the fair.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:45 pm

The video doesn't work very well for me. I don't know if anyone else is having the same problem.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:06 pm

grandpony, ridden by daughter's trainer at a show today:

There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “The Lounge”