Fogbow Birdwatchers Club

kate520

Fogbow Birdwatchers Club

Post by kate520 »

I'm new to the totally addicting activity myself, but the Malheur Occupation has brought many new members to our little flock, some of whom are honest-to-dog, card-carrying members of the Audubon Society.

I live in SoCal. We recently moved to a new home with lots of trees and no lawn. I bought my first feeders and set them up. I have the usual house sparrows, mockers and a white-cap or two, plus a whole flock of mourning doves and 6 or so banded pigeons. A pair of robins showed up a few weeks ago, and a pregnant squirrel.

How can you tell if a bird is pregnant?

My birdseed brings
All the birds to the yard.
My seed mix
Is better than yours.

:mrgreen:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

SueDB

Re: Fogbow Birdwatchers Club

Post by SueDB »

Check the doves every day for "mourning sickness".
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

SueDB wrote:Check the doves every day for "mourning sickness".
:sick:
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:lol: :lol:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

SueDB wrote:Check the doves every day for "mourning sickness".
:rimshot: :winner:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

It's been a while, but when chilipup was just a little guy, about 6 or 7, we used to go out birding. He had a couple of local bird guides and he got pretty good at spotting different species.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

I am not a card-carrying member of the Audubon Society, but I have been birding, semi-seriously, for decades. One of my first childhood experiences that I can remember was of going to an AS meeting, in which California Condors were being discussed. This was in SoCal, and there were still condors in the wild, but barely.

This year I will be going on two birding trips. One to NC to see about spotting Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, the other to Arizona to spot all manner of interesting birds which are not to be found in the Pacific Northwest.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

NC, you say? There's a bald-headed rooster in Raleigh, I hear. :blink:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

The birds were chirping when I woke at o'dark-thirty this morning. It's nice to wake to that sound again. When I lived in Oregon the birds chirped not so much. Barely hardly ever too, also.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Azastan, that sounds like a cool trip. I used to see pileated woodpeckers in the woods across from my house in Lincoln, VA. The house where I lived had an old, cracked pool, which was a filthy, mosquito-laden bird feeder. There were also frogs and tadpoles, so wading birds - herons, egrets. And bats. But I wasn't much of a birder then.

Today we got a heads-up that Swainson's Hawks have been spotted nearby (the Arboretum and Anzo Borrego yesterday) on their migration. Ima look up a lot today. ;)

Enthusiasm, I gots it. I'll probably be that newbie puppy-birder you want to swat. :kiss:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

A couple weeks ago, we had a red tail in the tree in back.

He was eating a squirrel

I had to clean up the mess afterwards

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

kate520 wrote:Azastan, that sounds like a cool trip. I used to see pileated woodpeckers in the woods across from my house in Lincoln, VA. The house where I lived had an old, cracked pool, which was a filthy, mosquito-laden bird feeder. There were also frogs and tadpoles, so wading birds - herons, egrets. And bats. But I wasn't much of a birder then.

Today we got a heads-up that Swainson's Hawks have been spotted nearby (the Arboretum and Anzo Borrego yesterday) on their migration. Ima look up a lot today. ;)

Enthusiasm, I gots it. I'll probably be that newbie puppy-birder you want to swat. :kiss:
If you are ever in the Chicago area I can point you to some good spots.

I know where a Sandhill crane likes to nest.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

My brothers let the bird feeders go empty while I was hospitalized so I need to clean and fill them to bring the birds back to Mirkwood. I'd have done it already, but it's been raining a lot and I might melt.

Spring is sprung,
The grass is riz,
I wonder where the birdies is?
Image Image Image Image Image

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

We have quite a mess of Sandhill Cranes in this area. Lovely to watch but a very annoying call when there are lots hanging around. I just saw two pink flamingos flying over yesterday and there are some very large Woodpeckers who frequent the big oaks. So, for city living, it is pretty good for birding.

At my old stomping grounds we had flocks of Chesnut-Mandabled Toucans, an amazing variety of Tanagers, nine species of hummingbirds, and higher up the Resplendant Quetzal. I have only seen the female. I had not paid much attention to birds before traveling in Central America, but with my first stunning bird there I became hooked and bought books with good plates in them and dove in.

So happy we have a bird thread.

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Foggy wrote:NC, you say? There's a bald-headed rooster in Raleigh, I hear. :blink:
Oops, my mistake about the location--the trip is for Knowles Island, South Carolina, not North.

That bald-headed rooster is a rare sighting, though, so I may have to make room in my schedule for a trip that way too!

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

There are several birds which we would hear, but have never seen. The farm is heavily forested and situated next to La Amistad International Wildlife Preserve. The unseen birds were identified as a Three-Wattled Bell Bird (sounds like someone striking a tire iron on a big piece of hollow metal), a pair of Harpy Eagles and owls.

When they do the annual Bird count in Panama, my place is in the area where he SERIOUS bird watchers converge in the Western mountains. My little house is the red roof below in this photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

My son-in-law the lawyer is a very serious birder. He has participated in the Christmas bird count and vacations in areas with lots of birds.

If you don't already have it I recommend the Sibley Birds App for smartphones. It is a real help identifying birds in the field.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Patagoniagirl wrote:There are several birds which we would hear, but have never seen. The farm is heavily forested and situated next to La Amistad International Wildlife Preserve. The unseen birds were identified as a Three-Wattled Bell Bird (sounds like someone striking a tire iron on a big piece of hollow metal), a pair of Harpy Eagles and owls.

When they do the annual Bird count in Panama, my place is in the area where he SERIOUS bird watchers converge in the Western mountains. My little house is the red roof below in this photo.
Ooooh, Harpy Eagles. Are there Spectacled Owls where you are? Crested Owls? Woodpecker species?

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I have never once seen an owl there. We could hear them, but never saw any! There are many woodpecker species there. Never saw the larger ones, but so many lovely smaller ones. Don't have my book here with me now.

The Harpy Eagle couple is closely guarded by the family who owns the forested mountain across the river from my place. I knew the for years before they told me about the next and area where they hunt (the eagles, not the neighbors). It is in the same mountain area where the Mono Congos range. Never saw those either. Too much untouched land, so unless guided, it is almost impossible to see them.

Tanagers naturally enjoyed our banana and plantains across the farm. We cheated a little and out up a banana stand across the yard from the house so we could enjoy them up close. I have a video somewhere of them.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Here are some backyard birds. Skip forward to 1:40 seconds or so. The Blue-Grey Tanagers are the most common, but a couple of real colorful tangers pop in as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CCEJLWduM

I cannot embed. Don't have the youtube app or the brains.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

When I lived on the farm during my whippersnapper years in Western Wisconsin a Whippoorwill would do its thing in the evening all summer long. I'll never hear that again. :crying:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

A tiny hummingbird flew into a window at our house. He is only 36 seconds as we hoped he would recover and fly away...he did. Can't remember what kind he was.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-DlaEplB0

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Patagoniagirl wrote:Here are some backyard birds. Skip forward to 1:40 seconds or so. The Blue-Grey Tanagers are the most common, but a couple of real colorful tangers pop in as well.

I cannot embed. Don't have the youtube app or the brains.
I couldn't ID them all, but it looks as if there's some Yellow-throated Euphonias along with three or four other species which look familiar, but I will have to rummage through my bird books to be accurate.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Euphonias! You are correct. My brain as lost some function as to these things.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

My cat Molly-Polly, RIP, was a birder in her younger days. :blink:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “The Lounge”