Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

DejaMoo

Re: Robocalls / Robotexts/ other annoying calls/ FCC

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:35 pm
I use the Hiya app on my iPhone.

If you set it up it will kick all those calls into your voice mail. Since none of them actually leave a message, it's as good as a block.

I highly recommend it, you just have to allow it to block calls and texts from your phone settings panel, then you have to tell the app what you want blocked using the app settings.
Uh, no. Hiya and similar apps don't work in these situations because these are genuine, non-spammer phone numbers. The spammer is spoofing - using the phone number of a real person who (apparently) lives in your vicinity - on the assumption that, since it appears to be a local call and thus might be a neighbor you just haven't met yet, you'll answer the phone.

The apps cannot add these numbers to their global block lists because they are genuine numbers.

You can personally block each of these numbers, but you don't need an app to do that.

Incidentally, there are real privacy issues with apps like Hiya and TrueCaller. In exchange for getting to use them for free, you grant them permission to access and datamine your contacts list. They take that information and add it to their databases, without your contacts' knowledge or consent. So - you've got a friend who doesn't share her number, except for a select few friends. If she's in your contacts list and you install Hiya, you've just given away her name and number to whitepages.com, which owns Hiya. She wouldn't thank you for doing that to her.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Uh, yeah.

Actually Hiya DOES block them. It identifies any calls from your area code with the same three digit prefix as a potentially spoofed call. If the number is in your contact list, it gets through. If not, it gets sent to voice mail.

A legitimate caller will hopefully leave a voice mail. If they can't, that's their problem.

Personally, I don't have anyone on my contact list with the same prefix. I used to get three other four of those calls a day.

I don't anymore.

It works.

And I don't have anyone in my contact list that is that secretive about their number.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 pm

I asked about this once in another context on another thread and it was never answered.

Does anyone remember, in those neolithic days when we all still have landlines, a device called a Phone Zapper, or maybe a Call Zapper ?
It was supposed to generate a momentary beep on the phone line when we picked up the phone, this had no effect on humans but if a computer had dialed for some solicitation it was just the right tone that told that computer that the number was not in service and the computer would immediately hang up - and erase our phone number from its memory for any future spamming - so we were spared those annoying calls.

That was something like 20 years ago. I wonder if those things still work for those with landline phones (I don't see how they could be hooked up to cellphones). Does anyone know???

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 pm

I bought something called CPR Call Blocker for my husband for Christmas, so we haven't used it yet. It is supposed to have 5000 numbers already blocked with the ability to add 1500 more. I'm hoping it works as well as they say it does. It is for landlines. It was about $70, well worth it if it works.

vic

Post by vic » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:24 pm
I asked about this once in another context on another thread and it was never answered.

Does anyone remember, in those neolithic days when we all still have landlines, a device called a Phone Zapper, or maybe a Call Zapper ?
It was supposed to generate a momentary beep on the phone line when we picked up the phone, this had no effect on humans but if a computer had dialed for some solicitation it was just the right tone that told that computer that the number was not in service and the computer would immediately hang up - and erase our phone number from its memory for any future spamming - so we were spared those annoying calls.

That was something like 20 years ago. I wonder if those things still work for those with landline phones (I don't see how they could be hooked up to cellphones). Does anyone know???
The device played the tone sequence that was at the start of the "intercept operator" recorded message saying that the number was no longer in service. Since the automated dialers in call centers wait for the call to be answered and then transfer it to a person (assuming one is available; if not, they hang up on you and you get another annoying call later) were generally programmed to recognize the tone sequence and terminate the call rather than wasting a human's time listening to the recording. I would imagine that whether or not the system removed the number would depend on how it was being used - after all, a disconnected number would eventually be assigned to another account. It's more likely that it was just put into a temporary freeze.

But why ask this question on the Fogbow and comment on its not having been answered? Google and Wikipedia are your friends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeleZapper

And the google search shows that they are still available. Here's one on Amazon

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:24 am

MS has just rolled out a new app to report spam calls immediately to the SoS fraud division. I downloaded and activated it the first day it was available and my spam calls have gone from a couple dozen or more a week, to zero since I got the app. As far as I know, the app doesn't stop the calls, it just makes reporting them almost instant. I can only assume the companies are busy trying to figure out a way around it so we're getting a reprieve for a bit. MS actually has a pretty good record for prosecutions against the spammers but I fully expect the calls to start back up once they find a workaround.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am

I am appreciative about the information about TeleZapper. It turns out that the manufacturer is out of business, his website taken over by a vacuum cleaner company. It is unclear if his stuff works with the new generation of phones on the new generator of robodialers, but Amazon still sells some TeleZappers.
I had thought this thread was a very appropriate place to ask about this device.

If anyone knows of a current device that works with the current technology, I'm eager to hear about it. Those swine seem to laugh at the FTC's Do-not-call list.

vic

Post by vic » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:52 am
I am appreciative about the information about TeleZapper. It turns out that the manufacturer is out of business, his website taken over by a vacuum cleaner company. It is unclear if his stuff works with the new generation of phones on the new generator of robodialers, but Amazon still sells some TeleZappers.
I had thought this thread was a very appropriate place to ask about this device.

If anyone knows of a current device that works with the current technology, I'm eager to hear about it. Those swine seem to laugh at the FTC's Do-not-call list.
It still does what it claims to do. It would still work if you have a standard landline, rather than a VOIP phone. But did you read the Wikipedia article? The bad telemarketers just set their autodialers to ignore the SIT IC tones.
Some telemarketing firms have turned off the SIT tone detector altogether in response to the TeleZapper trick, rendering it wholly ineffective.
If there were an inexpensive solution for everyone, the FCC probably wouldn't have offered a $50,000 bounty in 2012 for ideas:

FTC Targets Robocalls With $50,000 Bounty

But again, there are better resources for this information. A quick google found me this page on the FCC web site:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/st ... -and-texts

And one of the tabs on that page, "Call Blocking Resources", is the right place to start (I assume I can break the 4-para rule since this is a government site) - note: each of the lines included a link which didn't copy over:
To arm consumers with information they can use to block or filter unwanted calls, below are resources to help consumers of wireless, traditional landline, and VoIP voice services to stop annoying robocalls.

The descriptions and links below are provided for informational purposes only. The FCC does not endorse any non-FCC product or service, and is not responsible for the content of non-FCC websites, including their accuracy, completeness or timeliness.

Wireless/Mobile
Hints for dealing with robocalls have been collected for fixed and mobile (cellular) services.

AT&T Here are ways we can all prevent, stop, and protect one another from fraud.
CTIA Blocking robocalls resources page.
CTIA Step-by-step instructions on how to block individual numbers based on Android, Blackberry, iOS, and Windows operating systems; and list of third party apps to block unwanted calls.
Google Play Update for phone app for Android Marshmallow device.
Google Project Fi Call blocking help page for Project Fi wireless service.
T-Mobile Name ID app for identifying and blocking dangerous calls and texts.
U.S. Cellular Consumer information and tips for stopping robocalls.
US Telecom Trade association's consumer education, tools and resources for stopping robocalls.
Verizon Customer support page for stopping robocalls (includes wireline resources).
Landline/Wireline
AT&T Nomorobo is a free, third-party service that helps put an end to pre-recorded, automated telemarketing calls.
AT&T Call Protect service is now available to wireline VoIP customers.
CenturyLink Customer tips and links to block unwanted calls from home.
Charter Nomorobo: Block Telemarketers and Robo-Callers.
Charter (Brighthouse) Can I block calls from specific numbers on my Home Phone?
Charter (TimeWarner) Get detailed instructions for managing your Phone features.
Comcast XFINITY customer support on how to set up blocking service for unsolicited robocalls to home.
Comcast Customer support: call types that can be blocked with XFINITY Voice.
Cox Customer support video and instructions for managing calls using digital telephone service.
Frontier Communications Consumer guides on call block and priority calling features.
NCTA The Internet & TV Association's consumer education resources for preventing robocalls.
NTCA The Rural Broadband Association's robocall resources for consumers.
US Telecom Trade association's consumer education, tools and resources for stopping robocalls.
Verizon Customer support page for stopping robocalls (includes wireless resources).
West Telecom Services Customer tips for blocking calls and suggestions for reporting "nuisance" calls.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:30 pm

My suggestion to the FCC (worthy of the $50,000) bounty:

Inflict the death penalty on every spammer caught, tried and convicted. That would end this schit pretty quickly. With special strike squads to go into foreign countries where this spamming is also initiated to take them all out.

Dear FCC, please use the Donate button on this website to pay the $50,000 to our glorious leader.

You're welcome.

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:34 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 pm
I bought something called CPR Call Blocker for my husband for Christmas, so we haven't used it yet. It is supposed to have 5000 numbers already blocked with the ability to add 1500 more. I'm hoping it works as well as they say it does. It is for landlines. It was about $70, well worth it if it works.
Please let me know if it works. The one I got (different manufacturer) only works part time so I need to find a better one.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Whip wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:34 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:35 pm
Please let me know if it works. The one I got (different manufacturer) only works part time so I need to find a better one.
Will do!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:48 pm

I put a Tele-Zapper on my phone line (my house has a network of wireless phones, and put one Tele-Zapper on the one real landline leading to the central transmitter) and immediately my robocalls vanished almost completely, and virtually the only solicitation calls I've gotten since were done by humans. Tele-Zapper has been out of production for at least ten years, but Amazon has some for sale at about $20 and, as I mentioned, just one was good enough for my house.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Here's what I do now after I press "1":

Caller: Hello is this Sterngard?

Me: Who is calling puhleez?

Caller: This is Mindy from the Remodeling Center. [Speaking fast] My husband is in your neighborhood this . . .

Me [interrupting]: Mindy, this is your lucky day.

Caller: Huh?

Me: Yes, Mindy. You will be able to keep this job forever and never be fired. All you have to do is turn your employer in to the FTC. What you're doing is illegal. What he's making you do is illegal. So you can become a whistleblower AND HE CAN NEVER FIRE YOU.

Caller: I beg your . . .

Me [interrupting]: And, by the way, fuck off asshole.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:13 am

I keep a landline because of my husband's heart issues, but I finally turned off all the ringers. Family, associates and friends know either to text (preferred), call my cell or leave a message on the landline. Then, twice a week, I delete the "boop" messages and start clean.

I don't have as much a problem with the cell, but I do have a silent ringtone. I save the problem number to a saved contact named Ignore, which has the silent ringtone set, and then, once a month or so, delete them from my Missed Call log. I'm up to Ignore 3 as each contact will only hold so many numbers.

T Mobile recently started something that alerts me with Possible Scam as the caller. Now if I can just figure out how to set that to my silent ringtone.

But I may try the Telezapper a try.

I pick my avatar to the holiday but now can't bear to look at puppy w/his flag. This is more appropriate.
ImageImageImage x4

Return to “The Lounge”