2014 in Review

GreatGrey

2014 in Review

Post by GreatGrey »

It's the last weekend of 2014, so I guess it's time for the obligatory Year in Review.

Post whatever good/bad/interesting that got your attention. Or whatever.

I'll start with something good ;)

I got knocked out 6 times in 2014 for medical procedures.

No, that's not the good part.

The good part is I woke up after each time.

Next.....
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

ZekeB

2014 in Review

Post by ZekeB »

I remember 1963. It was a year worse than 1962. I remember 1964. It was a year worse than 1963. I remember 1965. It was a year worse than 1964. I remember 19........ I'm in the twilight of my employment. The year 2014 was my last full year of employment. Check with me in a year and I'll let you know if all the things I've worked at during my 49 years of employment were worth it. That is if I'm not off somewhere in the boondocks where there is no internet.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Plutodog

2014 in Review

Post by Plutodog »

I'm hoping you have a great 2015, Zeke.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Volkonski

2014 in Review

Post by Volkonski »

In 2014 the existence of meson Z(4430) was confirmed using the Large Hadron Collidor. This greatly increases our understanding of neutron stars. The LHC is the greatest human achievement of all time!
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Mugwhump

2014 in Review

Post by Mugwhump »

I broke 80 - twice everything else pales in comparison.

Well, other than good health family and stuff like that.

Mugwhump

2014 in Review

Post by Mugwhump »

And Oily continually failing and showing the depths of her hatred and stupidity. Have to add that as a high point.

Now if she would just get sanctioned, heavily, life would be perfect.

vic

2014 in Review

Post by vic »

Just in time for the sheriff to become totally irrelevant, I finally learned how to pronounce Arpaio.

Sterngard Friegen

2014 in Review

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Just in time for the sheriff to become totally irrelevant, I finally learned how to pronounce Arpaio.It's what Maricopa County employees should be saying -- Our pay? Oh!

rosy

2014 in Review

Post by rosy »

My 2014:

spent less time in hospital than I did in 2013 (only three stays, not bad at all)

spent more time with friends than I did in 2013

went to fewer funerals (0)

went to more weddings (2)

gained a grandson (courtesy of my youngest son and his girlfriend) who is now almost ten months old and is the light of my life

waved goodbye to my eldest son who emigrated to the USA - though he'll be visiting me next month

lost my sense of security when my landlord split up with her husband, so wanted her house back and sent me a Notice To Quit

was offered a secure tenancy on a fully wheelchair-adapted* house, which should improve my life by approximately 74% once I move in (in the next two weeks or so)

lost my adored blind cat when my Serena died

was offered, and took in, a partially deaf cat, now called Loki who is filling the aching gap Serena left

saw my daughter gain a first class degree in Mathematics, and then begin a Masters in Social Work

got my younger two sons settled in their own flats (or apartments, as you USAians call them)

*Wet room, wide doorways, ramps instead of steps, low kitchen counters..... I can't wait to move in.

Jez

2014 in Review

Post by Jez »

For me, 2014 has been a year of good and bad.

Early in the year I fell and cracked my knees, crushing cartilage. That hurt. Couldn't afford the MRI or surgery, even with insurance. Not long after that, noticed that I wasn't feeling all that well, mentally. Turns out, my meds were failing. I'm telling you, when Abilify decides it no longer wants to work, it's brutal. Got written up at work due to my total lack of enthusiasm for anything life related due to the failure of the meds. Got put on new meds, just in time for the Summer and the loss of my Mom, a funeral, emergency surgery, losing my dogs because I was forced to choose between my family and my dogs (very long story), an irrevocable break in the relationship with my brother (which wasn't much of one in the first place, but at least something was there). Then in October, another surgery for a similar problem to what caused the first one, but caught eariler.

The one bright spot in this entire year has been Jim, a very special somebody out in Seattle. If it wasn't for him, I doubt I would still be alive. Now, if I could only get together the money needed to move to Seattle, or talk him into moving to Dallas (which is unlikely to happen... he thinks 80 degrees is way too warm).

But... I am alive. Not quite living yet, but alive. It's a process, or so I'm told.

Here's to hoping 2015 can't be any worse, and will only be better.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

GreatGrey

2014 in Review

Post by GreatGrey »

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

rosy

2014 in Review

Post by rosy »

If I could have one wish for 2015, it would be that the USA gets healthcare sorted out. Nobody should have to go without the treatment they need due to "insurance" or "lack of funds". There are many things about our NHS that could be improved, but it's a safety net that catches everybody and we spend less of our GDP on it than you folk do on your fractured system. For all but the very highest earners, we also pay less tax (though admittedly, our petrol (gas) prices are obscene).

Roboe

2014 in Review

Post by Roboe »

2014 has been fairly relaxing on my end. No major stresses or concerns arose, we had a lovely summer, and now it looks like we may even have snow this winter. Could I have worked a bit harder at losing weight? Yeah, probably, but my clothes sizes continue to shrink (bought a new pair of pants a month ago and I've already outshrunk them, sigh), so overall things are moving in the right direction.

2015 will see national elections over here, with the current government (weird centre-left/right hybrid) looking like it'll lose badly, which I won't complain too much about. At least we'll get rid of a Prime minister who never looked like she had a political vision of what she wanted society to look like. Most of the time she looked like a career politician, for whom becoming prime minister was simply the next box to tick, before heading off to a lucrative lobbyist position. That, or in case her husband gets himself elected to the British parliament, she's off to London to become an MP's missus.

Nobody should have to go without the treatment they need due to "insurance" or "lack of funds".

Or because noone wants to insure them because of preexisting conditions. Sadly I fear that going into the next congress, it's going to be one long slog for ACA against both a Congress as well as a Supreme Court that will want to gut it.

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

2014 in Review

Post by Foggy »

This was a tremendous year for my LGBT brethren and sistren. I'm hoping for even better things in 2015.
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

TollandRCR

2014 in Review

Post by TollandRCR »

Almost everything said above is about either the good that occurred during 2014 or the grace that Fogbowers have shown in bearing heavy burdens. Despite the fact that this topic is in "The Lounge," I want to introduce a serious concern.

This was the year in which Democratic candidates and their paid "professional" consultants backed away from the leader of their party and of the nation. They backed away from (or hacked away at) the most significant piece of social legislation since the New Deal. They were afraid to point to definitive signs that the economy is recovering despite Republicans' attempts to prevent that.

Some of us tried within and outside The Fogbow to counter this phenomenon, but cowardly Democrats and consultants prevailed. Long ago on PJ I advocated that President Obama embark on a Truman-like "Give 'Em Hell" campaign. but perhaps that was not in his nature or he was unwisely restrained. In Connecticut and Rhode Island, we invited the President and the First Lady to speak, and speak loudly they did. Democrats won.

The Republican sweep in the midterm elections of 2014 will leave a lasting mark upon this nation. It will harm the economic recovery, do damage to ACA, and interfere in the inception of the first wise foreign policy in decades. It may very well tug Democrats even more past the center to the right.

This nation needs a liberal government with a responsibly conservative opposition. We are trailing in K-12 education, are bent upon putting the burden for higher education entirely upon parents, are seeing our infrastructure deteriorate, are witnessing a revival of blatant racism and even fascism, and are abandoning our ability to be a force for social justice and freedom in the world.

We all remember Sir Winston Churchill's "The Sinews of Peace" speech in Fulton, Missouri, although we are more likely to remember it for its prescient declaration that an Iron Curtain was descending across Europe:

From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe. Warsaw, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Bucharest and Sofia, all these famous cities and the populations around them lie in what I must call the Soviet sphere, and all are subject in one form or another, not only to Soviet influence but to a very high and, in many cases, increasing measure of control from Moscow. Athens alone - Greece with its immortal glories - is free to decide its future at an election under British, American and French observation. The Russian-dominated Polish Government has been encouraged to make enormous and wrongful inroads upon Germany, and mass expulsions of millions of Germans on a scale grievous and undreamed-of are now taking place. The Communist parties, which were very small in all these Eastern States of Europe, have been raised to pre-eminence and power far beyond their numbers and are seeking everywhere to obtain totalitarian control. Police governments are prevailing in nearly every case, and so far, except in Czechoslovakia, there is no true democracy.

We may forget the hope with which Churchill concluded: (emphasis mine)

Last time I saw it all coming and cried aloud to my own fellow-countrymen and to the world, but no one paid any attention. Up till the year 1933 or even 1935, Germany might have been saved from the awful fate which has overtaken her and we might all have been spared the miseries Hitler let loose upon mankind. There never was a war in all history easier to prevent by timely action than the one which has just desolated such great areas of the globe. It could have been prevented in my belief without the firing of a single shot, and Germany might be powerful, prosperous and honoured to-day; but no one would listen and one by one we were all sucked into the awful whirlpool. We surely must not let that happen again. This can only be achieved by reaching now, in 1946, a good understanding on all points with Russia under the general authority of the United Nations Organisation and by the maintenance of that good understanding through many peaceful years, by the world instrument, supported by the whole strength of the English-speaking world and all its connections. There is the solution which I respectfully offer to you in this Address to which I have given the title "The Sinews of Peace."

Let no man underrate the abiding power of the British Empire and Commonwealth. Because you see the 46 millions in our island harassed about their food supply, of which they only grow one half, even in war-time, or because we have difficulty in restarting our industries and export trade after six years of passionate war effort, do not suppose that we shall not come through these dark years of privation as we have come through the glorious years of agony, or that half a century from now, you will not see 70 or 80 millions of Britons spread about the world and united in defence of our traditions, our way of life, and of the world causes which you and we espouse. If the population of the English-speaking Commonwealths be added to that of the United States with all that such co-operation implies in the air, on the sea, all over the globe and in science and in industry, and in moral force, there will be no quivering, precarious balance of power to offer its temptation to ambition or adventure. On the contrary, there will be an overwhelming assurance of security. If we adhere faithfully to the Charter of the United Nations and walk forward in sedate and sober strength seeking no one's land or treasure, seeking to lay no arbitrary control upon the thoughts of men; if all British moral and material forces and convictions are joined with your own in fraternal association, the high-roads of the future will be clear, not only for us but for all, not only for our time, but for a century to come.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Whatever4

2014 in Review

Post by Whatever4 »

Paraphrasing The Queen: "2014 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure. In the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it has turned out to be an Annus Horribilis" for the W household.

In January, I had one knee replaced. That very week, W2 came down with shingles then postherpetic neuralgia. He still has the searing pain, almost a year later. It varies between a gunshot would and a wire brush digging into his upper torso. My knee is awesome! Plus my other knee is better since it doesn't have to do the work of two anymore.

In June, I was diagnosed with breast cancer (Stage 0) and Ellie was diagnosed with operable thyroid cancer. After surgery (both of us), chemo (Ellie) and radiation (me, NOT a fun thing), we're fine and cancer-free. Ellie shakes like a leaf every time we approach a cab stand though, weekly trips to the V.E.T. aren't her thing.

In September, my mother checked herself into the hospital, only to be told she only had a week to live. I transferred my radiation therapy to Central PA, and flew down to take charge. She lasted 2 magical months. I'm so blessed to have had that time with her. I was with her when she died. She went exactly as she wanted to -- alert through the whole thing. Her last words were "I'm over to forever." Needless to say it wasn't a peaceful passing, but I did my job to keep her pain-free and one of the incredible hospice nurses was with me.

Funeral was awesome, flowers spectacular, music was beautiful (flute solos by Mom's roommate and Ave Maria by a cousin's voice-major daughter), food was perfect (English high tea). The Bad Sister showed up on time in a turtleneck (she got the no-cleavage memo), the Good Sister wasn't hit by lightning in the church.

So Bad Things happened, but we managed them. We're hoping 2015 is quieter.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Whatever4

2014 in Review

Post by Whatever4 »

Oh, and as SugarMags said: "Aren't you always home when you're here?"
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

No Pilikia

2014 in Review

Post by No Pilikia »

Sorry to read about the tough times some of you have been through but hooray for sharing the good times too. May 2014 was a sad time for me as I watched my daughter's family move to Oregon but they will be back in 2 years. I miss my 5 & 6 year old mo'opuna (grandkids) but am blessed with my son's 3 year old & smile so much my face hurts when I'm with her. I am now the proud caregiver of my grand-dog Lucy until my daughter returns & she is good company. I relocated to the lush, incredibly gorgeous Windward side of Oahu where I spent 20 years of my life raising my family. This place is right down the street from me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byodo-In_Temple The gorgeous Koolau mountains are the back drop of my life again. I finally renovated my Hawaii Kai condo & have it rented out & no longer drive that awful commute to work. I went over a year without getting "off the rock" but had a great trip to LA 2 weeks ago. My Mom is struggling over there with health problems but finally agreed to move to a retirement community & we are relieved but it will be a lot of work.

I have maintained my 145 pound weight loss thanks to the miracle of gastric bypass surgery. For 4 months now I am the proud owner of a new hip & feel 20 years younger now that I don't live with chronic pain. I can even dance the hula again !! Work drives me nuts sometimes but I work with a terrific group of people in a community health center & learn so much about life from my patients. I'd sure love to retire but it will be about 7 more years of work for me.

Happy 2015 !!
"The opportunity that Hawaii offered -- to experience a variety of cultures in a climate of mutual respect -- became an integral part of my world view and a basis for the values I hold most dear." Barack Obama, 1999

Slarti the White

2014 in Review

Post by Slarti the White »

This nation needs a liberal government with a responsibly conservative opposition.

I couldn't agree more, Tollie (with all of it, but this stood out). I think that it is time to start planning for 2020 today. If the Democrats don't have a plan to win back the House for the next census, they need to get one and running away from Democratic values and successes is a pretty bad plan. I fear that the Democratic leadership will do the same thing in 2016 and (with better results due to the presidential coat-tails) think that they have addressed the party's problems. Ultimately, I think that a grassroots alternative to/reform of the Democratic party is needed. The evangelicals organized in the 80s and are still reaping the benefits. What we do now lays the groundwork for the next 50 years (or doesn't).
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

DrConspiracy

2014 in Review

Post by DrConspiracy »

Gee, I feel guilty for having a good year.
Looking for gold coins in a bucket of mud - since 2008.

Jez

2014 in Review

Post by Jez »

Gee, I feel guilty for having a good year.

Nah, don't feel guilty. I had plenty of good years. All the bad just decided to happen at one time.

2015 is going to be good. Or at least I'm going to do my best to make it good.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

June bug

2014 in Review

Post by June bug »

In September, I started the first year of my "retirement on the installment plan", moving to 3 days a week. It's a good move, but a real adjustment too since I still catch myself trying to do a full-time job on a part-time basis. I'm learning...slowly.

Also in September, our dearly loved 11 year old cat Sancho went missing. As of yet, we haven't found him despite exhaustive efforts. That was a heartbreaker for both Paul and me, but worse for Paul because Sancho was his special buddy. Our two other cats have helped fill the void but the pain is still there. Luckily our tuxedo cat Sirius, who was born with a very tiny meow gene, has been exercising it more. That helps since Sancho was a big talker.

For the first time that I can remember, we weren't at home for Christmas. Usually our daughter and her guy Scott come to Hawaii, this time we went to SoCal to visit them. Sadly, the SoCal Fogbow get together conflicted with our one chance to visit my best friend and her family near San Diego so we couldn't make the meet-up. The trip was great and did what we needed it to do - kept all of us from spending the holiday pining for our kitty. Instead, we ran around exploring Santa Monica, Culver City and surrounding areas for a week. Rented a condo in SM where we hosted Christmas dinner for the kids and Scott's family. That was great and gave me an excuse to immerse myself in the Farmer's Market, Trader Joe's and the Santa Monica Seafood Market - not that I really needed one! Came home tired and happy...and with suitcases even more loaded than when we went!

Like Toll, I worry about the future of this country, especially after the way the Dems behaved in this election cycle. Decided for now to "act locally", so I'll start volunteering for our local State House Representative (who's actually a Republican but is considered a "RINO" by most of the rest of them) after the New Year.

:hug: To everyone in our Fogbow family, I send my love and hope for a wonderful 2015. :hug:

TollandRCR

2014 in Review

Post by TollandRCR »

Thanks to The Dish, this one-minute cartoon reviews 2014. It took me several viewings to get most of it.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “The Lounge”