What are you watching on TV these days?

Bill_G

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Bill_G »

PaulG wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 pm
"Giri/Haji". Touching, funny, exciting, intricate. A Tokyo police detective goes to London to chase down his Yakuza brother who seems intent on triggering a gang war. I really try not to binge so my spouse and I are watching an episode every Friday. Just finished episode 6 and it just gets better and better.
I watched this not too long ago, and loved it. If you are a fan of police procedurals, and can deal with subtitles, this is a fun one. The biggest twist is the Tokyo detective in London. And like so many modern British cop shows, he's damaged goods in his way. He has no super powers. He's just a man trying to do a job, and he gets dropped into a bucket of crap. Great character developement, good writing, and a good story.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

A bonus for watching Giri/Haji is the Netflix bot starts offering Japanese language shows to you, and Midnight Diner, Tokyo Stories is an absolute gem. I offered it up in mid-January, but it's worth mentioning again.
Bill_G wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 am
I highly recommend Midnight Diner Tokyo Stories on Netflix. It's a dozen enchanting short stories about the patrons in a diner in Tokyo only open from midnight to 7am. About a half hour each, they are quick reveals into people's lives. Very personal stories. This YouTube video has a good synopsis.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I usually don't like reading about shows until after I'm finished watching, but with so many twists and turns, I broke my own rule.

This has spoilers, so anyone not watching the series might want to avoid reading it. It did help clear things up for me, though, enough so that I will keep watching.
CBR: HBO's The Outsider: Who or WHAT Is the Grief Eater?
Addie wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:07 pm
I'm shaky about the horror stuff, usually, and might turn it off pretty quickly. But I do think this series is worth watching.
AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:47 pm
I've been enjoying The Outsider, but I'm a big Stephen King fan.
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Outlander returns 8 PM EST tonight.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 am
:happyfamily:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

For those folks with Over-The-Air antenna access, the Decades channel has been running The Wild, Wild West episodes this weekend, I would imagine in memory of Robert Conrad who recently passed away. The shows and The Wild, Wild West movies continue through 6am (CST) tomorrow morning. (I'm not a big WWW fan, but my sweetie loved those shows.)
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I tried the first episode of Goliath (circa 2016) and turned it off in disgust near the end of the first episode when one of the senior lawyers at the big firm defending the defense contractor suggested that when an anticipated wrongful death case was filed the defense contractor should counter sue for malicious prosecution and abuse of process. That's not how hardball litigation is practiced. Unless you like to get SLAPPed down.

I turned it off after that.

Movies and TV shows can be enjoyable to watch and true to the law. Just ask My Cousin Vinnie.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RVInit wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:14 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 am
:happyfamily:
👍👍👍

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:37 am
Movies and TV shows can be enjoyable to watch and true to the law. Just ask My Cousin Vinnie.
Well, TV shows are artful fiction. I am sure all professionals grimace when a show touches on their field. Case and Point: October Faction.

October Faction (Netflix) is a playful, but forgettable metaphorical romp through an alternative world filled with monsters. And according to the writers, all that is needed to create a new monster is an oscilloscope, a service monitor, a lathe, and a bunch of old tools hanging on the wall of a hidden lab deep in the bowels of a mansion. It's an amazing bit of TV alchemy very much akin to TV law. See photo I took of a scene in the basement when the kids discover the lab.

The magic box on top is an IFR 1200S service monitor, and the one underneath is an HP dual trace scope. Both are nice pieces of test equipment, with a combined value new of over thirty kilobucks. But, both are out of production for at least fifteen years, and their values have declined quite a bit. Neither ever generated a monster even accidentally to my knowledge. It's doubtful the old computer in the photo background did either. Likewise the ancient lathe not seen until the main character turns around. I'm sure it's a glorious example of American machinery history, but unless monsters need precision spindles in their body parts, probably not the tool of choice when deciding how to make new monsters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

PS: Don't get me started on chases through well known cities. How do cars race down one road, swerve with sqealing tires through an intersection miles away, and crash in another suburb altogether in a matter of seconds?

Is it like the guy that jumps off one bridge, and pulls himself ashore miles away ... up river?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I tried the first episode of Goliath (circa 2016) and turned it off in disgust near the end of the first episode when one of the senior lawyers at the big firm defending the defense contractor suggested that when an anticipated wrongful death case was filed the defense contractor should counter sue for malicious prosecution and abuse of process. That's not how hardball litigation is practiced. Unless you like to get SLAPPed down.

I agree. I can’t watch any fictional law shows - especially when the main character lawyer is the ONLY ONE who can win the case- a la A Few Good Men.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:25 am
For those folks with Over-The-Air antenna access, the Decades channel has been running The Wild, Wild West episodes this weekend, I would imagine in memory of Robert Conrad who recently passed away. The shows and The Wild, Wild West movies continue through 6am (CST) tomorrow morning. (I'm not a big WWW fan, but my sweetie loved those shows.)
I luvs me some Artemis Gordon(Ross Martin)!
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:30 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
FETV (Family Entertainment) is running sever hours of episodes starting 11AM Pacific.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:30 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote:
I love me some Dr. Loveless (Michael Dunn, the first celebrity death I really got upset about.) And yes, I realize this isn't a contest.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Yes! Yes! Yes! Dunn was inspirational.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Same reason I can't watch L&O, SVU. There is no woman in the world who can work sex crimes for 2 decades and still wear low cut silk tank tops to work. It's a minor nit, but one that I just can't overcome.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Wild Wild West
The Night of the Inferno

If I have it correctly, this was the first episode, and guest starting a very young Suzanne Pleshette.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:29 pm
PS: Don't get me started on chases through well known cities. How do cars race down one road, swerve with sqealing tires through an intersection miles away, and crash in another suburb altogether in a matter of seconds?

Is it like the guy that jumps off one bridge, and pulls himself ashore miles away ... up river?
Or whitewater rafting. In the climactic scene in “The River Wild”, we identified three separate and distinct rivers blended into the one scene, 2 in Cali and one in Oregon. And don’t get me started on the stupid ‘escaped prisoner(s) in the wilderness’ trope that’s infected every whitewater movie I’ve ever seen. :madguy:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Kendra wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:58 pm
The Wild Wild West
The Night of the Inferno

If I have it correctly, this was the first episode, and guest starting a very young Suzanne Pleshette.
Why are all the WWW episodes titled "The Night of ..."? Did they sleep during the day? Were they vampires?

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

PaulG wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:42 pm
Kendra wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:58 pm
The Wild Wild West
The Night of the Inferno

Why are all the WWW episodes titled "The Night of ..."? Did they sleep during the day? Were they vampires?
I don't know, anyone have a clue?

:torches: power is out=no internet for watching teevee.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just watched the new episode of Outlander. No spoilers, but blood and gore ahead, consume snacks first or save for after :cantlook:

The actor playing Roger has a lovely singing voice, I love 💘 how they're bringing it in.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm
Just watched the new episode of Outlander. No spoilers, but blood and gore ahead, consume snacks first or save for after :cantlook:

The actor playing Roger has a lovely singing voice, I love 💘 how they're bringing it in.
:thumbs:

(Not on the blood and gore part.)
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

MRich

Post by MRich »

I'm watching the limited series "What's Eating America" on MSNBC Sunday nights. It's hosted by Andrew Zimmern.

The first episode was about how immigrants contribute to our food planting, collection, and distribution. The second was about how climate changes is affecting the food chain. I don't know how many episodes remain.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

We started watching "Hunters" and will probably keep watching. Can only say be prepared for some shocking parts and it is definitely not for everyone. :eek2:
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I watched The Sinner, Parts I and II because of recommendations here and am now onto Part III.

There are some seriously fucked up people that Det. Harry Ambrose (Bill Pullman) comes across. And he seems to have quieted his own inner demons.

Return to “The Lounge”