What are you watching on TV these days?

AndyinPA

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:23 pm
As ‘Game Of Thrones’ Ends, HBO’s ‘Chernobyl’ Quietly Becomes IMDB’s Highest Rated Show In History
https://apple.news/Amh9qgURJTXeo5eTrEev7Pw
There's a reason for that. It's truly excellent.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun May 26, 2019 3:53 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm
Not great, not terrible, comrade.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:53 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm
Not great, not terrible, comrade.
:thumbs:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon May 27, 2019 6:21 am

Thriller, hosted by Boris Karloff. I don't recall watching this show. This episode is called The Watcher, had to look up the cast, there was something so familiar about the young lead. A very, very young Richard Chamberlain. Be still my heart, he's so handsome.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon May 27, 2019 11:30 am

There is so much content now. Too much! I was wondering if anyone has been/is watching WHAT/IF on Netflix?

It became available last Friday and we have finished 8 of the 10 episodes. It's a mini-series I think, not intended to go multiple seasons.

Totally, totally creepy. At points, we've wondered why we're still watching. Not even sure that I wouldn't recommend, but not sure that I would.

Best recent binge: The Imposters. It's streaming now, but was on Bravo originally and they left a loose end so that it might be brought back. Really, really fun thriller/comedy.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 am

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:30 am
There is so much content now. Too much! I was wondering if anyone has been/is watching WHAT/IF on Netflix?

It became available last Friday and we have finished 8 of the 10 episodes. It's a mini-series I think, not intended to go multiple seasons.

Totally, totally creepy. At points, we've wondered why we're still watching. Not even sure that I wouldn't recommend, but not sure that I would.

Best recent binge: The Imposters. It's streaming now, but was on Bravo originally and they left a loose end so that it might be brought back. Really, really fun thriller/comedy.
Totally agree with Imposters recommend. Great dramady romp.

Have no watched What / If yet.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 am

Nick's Law on Amazon Prime/PBS; set in Hamburg, English subtitles; standalone crime drama in four episodes. A hard boiled, shoot 'em up tale of gang violence. Lots of gang violence. Turks and Kurds, no less. Good show :thumbs:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed May 29, 2019 5:15 pm

I had a notice from MHz this morning that a new movie-length episode of Detective Montalbano will be coming to Amazon Prime sometime in June. I adore this charming Italian murder mystery series, so I've decided to rewatch the 37 episodes leading up to the new one. :swoon:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:50 pm

I just finished watching the Cohen Brothers movie, “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” on Netflix.

what a creepy movie.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:08 am

Good Omens. (Amazon Prime)

I'm only into episode 3 since the weekend, but it's rather good.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:36 am

I'm enjoying Good Omens, partly because David Tennant seems to be having such a good time himself.

I don't have HBO, so I'm probably not going to see Chernobyl for a while, but I noticed one of my favorite actors, Paul Ritter, plays Anatoly Dyatlov, and another favorite of mine, Stellan Skarsgård, seems to star as well. So now I'm casting around trying to get access to watch it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:40 am

It was the series finale of Chernobyl last night. Pretty sobering.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:01 am

Getting into “When They See Us” on Netflix. Excellent so far. Unlike Chernobyl where there’s unspeakable horror balanced by moments of heroism, the show is just bleak and hopeless. Not a light watch.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Hooray! Fremantle created something called BuzzrTV, it's all the classic game shows. Now they've put some on Amazon Prime, they are awesome! My fav is the original 1955 "What's My Line" (recorded at the Ed Sullivan Theatre where Late Show with David Letterman & Colbert tape/s ).

These are SO FUN and they've totally cleaned up the prints, it's wonderful. GSN used to run them but looks like this is where it's headed. They have original of all the Goodson Todman stuff (Family Feud, Match Game, etc). Love this stuff so what a bonanza on a rainy Saturday in South Florida :thumbs:

Not sure if the link is working so here it is broken up: https://www.amazon.com/ Whats-My-Line-55/dp/B076NZ1F49

ABC is amping up on game shows for the summer, Match Game, Pyramid, Press Your Luck (that's on Amazon, it's hilarious), To Tell The Truth and more are on ABC's Fun and Games Summer (plus Bachelorette and Bachelor In Paradise). I have a feeling ABC's going to get huge ratings on all this, fun and nostalgia.
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:56 pm

The Twin Cities have had Buzzr TV over the air for quite a while. I recently discovered that you can also watch what they're broadcasting live on their website.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Thanks MN! I'm so happy they are all available online now, we have lots of episodes recorded from Windows Media Center and even VHS, we love watching people win. This is Press Your Luck - 1984 - Episode 085, it's a really classic last round, very exciting. This is the episode on YouTube, we saw it on Amazon Prime... it's just amazing seeing them in HD (clip below isn't as good quality). Gary (in the center) is hot :P

Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:01 am

I'm not a big fan of Press Your Luck, but I like Classic Concentration and Password. The Match Game is fine to have on in the background when I'm checking out the internet.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I couldn't find anything to watch a few nights ago and so I started watching, out of desperation, Dalziel and Pascoe. I got a great surprise when during the opening credits it said "Screenplay by Alan Plater".

Alan Plater was an obscure genius. Somebody ought to put together a 27 or so DVD collection of all the programs he has done, with a cheerful disregard for copyrights and contractual obligations. Mainly, because it's the sort of thing people in his screenplays would do, but also it would be darn near impossible to pull off, otherwise. He was perpetually hired to write the first one or two episodes of a series and then no more. Not sure why, maybe was impossible to work with, or he got bored, or it took too long. Probably bored.

Anyway, if you go to Prime Video and do a search on his name you get buckets of old detective serials which I've been watching ever since, with the help of IMDB to find which episodes he wrote. For example, he wrote the 4th episode of the 6th season of Midsomer Murders, "A Tale of Two Hamlets" which I've just finished watching. Vintage Plater. He wrote for Maigret (1992), Miss Marple (1985), Campion (He wrote "Look to the Lady" parts 1 and 2, which might be my favorite) and a lot of others and more than a few TV-movies and mini-series. "The Beiderbecke Affair" and two sequels come to mind. Died in 2010. Most of his stuff is unavailable. I need a time machine.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 am

I never thought I would ever say this, but Miley Cyrus is AWESOME (use loud falsetto voice) in the latest Black Mirror on Netflix.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:09 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:01 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:44 pm
Tin Star on Amazon Prime. Love it. An evil oil company brings migrants, murder, and mayhem to the Canadian town of Little Big Bear. The new police chief is also new to town, a not-so-reformed alcoholic from London with a dark side seeking revenge. Twisty plot, good acting. Christina Hendricks. :thumbs:
Thanks Addie!
Catching up to Filly (where did she go?).
I love this show! Almost through season 2, more twisty-turny plot, :lovestruck: Tim Roth :lovestruck: Dark dark dark characters always on the verge of redemption...oops! There goes another dead body. Let’s have another bottle or two of rye.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:05 pm

PaulG wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:36 am
I'm enjoying Good Omens, partly because David Tennant seems to be having such a good time himself.

:snippity:

Thousands petition Netflix to cancel Amazon Prime's Good Omens
US Christian group condemns Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s story as ‘making satanism appear normal’ – but petition wrong company

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... -pratchett
More than 20,000 Christians have signed a petition calling for the cancellation of Good Omens, the television series adapted from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s 1990 fantasy novel – unfortunately addressing their petition to Netflix when the series is made by Amazon Prime.

The six-part series was released last month, starring David Tennant as the demon Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale, who collaborate to prevent the coming of the antichrist and an imminent apocalypse. Pratchett’s last request to Gaiman before he died was that he adapt the novel they wrote together; Gaiman wrote the screenplay and worked as showrunner on the BBC/Amazon co-production, which the Radio Times called “a devilishly funny love letter to the book”.

But Christians marshalled by the Return to Order campaign, an offshoot of the US Foundation for a Christian Civilisation, disagree. More than 20,000 supporters have signed a petition in which they say that Good Omens is “another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable”, and “mocks God’s wisdom”. God, they complain, is “voiced by a woman” – Frances McDormand – the antichrist is a “normal kid” and, most importantly, “this type of video makes light of Truth, Error, Good and Evil, and destroys the barriers of horror that society still has for the devil”. They are calling on Netflix to cancel the show.

Gaiman responded to the petition on Twitter, writing: “I love that they are going to write to Netflix to try and get #GoodOmens cancelled. Says it all really. This is so beautiful ... Promise me you won’t tell them?”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Fleabag Season 2 on Amazon from BBC. Based on a successful London play by the lead actress about a beyondo dysfunctional family after the death of the mother, leaving 2 adult daughters, a gold digging godmother, and a go along with life father. Hysterical, maddening, poignant, sad, and uplifting.

Catching Killers on the Justice Network. Excellent forensics production which takes one area of forensics (ballistics, accident reconstruction, testing poisons) and covers its history and first use in a courtroom while also showing its use in a "recent" case.

Death Row Stories on HLN. Produced by Robert Redford, it shows the horrific weaknesses in the American judicial system, its strengths, and new ways to exonerate wrongly convicted individuals. Of the new ways, the North Carolina innocence Inquiry Commission stands out. First, it's NORTH CAROLINA! Even if it fails to be named the Foggy Innocence Inquiry Commission, it is a ray of hope for those in NC who are cleared by DNA or other means.

https://innocencecommission-nc.gov/about/
First of Its Kind
In The Nation

The North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission is the first of its kind in the nation. The Commission was created by the North Carolina General Assembly in 2006 and began operating in 2007. Since then, the Commission has reviewed over 2,000 innocence claims and conducted multiple hearings.

The Commission is charged with providing an independent and balanced truth-seeking forum for credible post-conviction claims of innocence in North Carolina.
The Commission is separate from the appeals process. A person exonerated through the Commission process is declared innocent and cannot be retried for the same crime.
The exoneration can be really tough on victims' families. For many years they have believed (or been persuaded to believe) the convicted person was the real perpetrator.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:29 am

Spin The Wheel on Fox premiered tonight, Exec Produced by Justin Timberlake, Hosted by Dax Shepard. Huge money at stake (contestants can win $23 million) but "The Wall" was more visually appealing. Agree with Decoder:
The third round is so complex, though, that it was hard to keep all of the rules straight. Shepard did his best to communicate them to the contestant and audience, but there’s just layer after layer of complexity that’s just not necessary. That’s what happens when the actual game play is so simple; “strategy” is heaped on the show to make it seem more complicated than it is. Then the fourth round moves into a Deal Or No Deal-style contest, but someone else decides whether to walk away without the contestant knowing. It’s more of a play on emotions than anything involving skilled game play, and shows like wear down quickly due to repetition.

You can tell contestants’ stories and have compelling game play. There’s a reason why Press Your Luck has worked for 35 years, and the current ABC version is just as exciting as the original. Spin The Wheel is wholly dependent on emotion, which is the kiss of death for any game show.
Our Call: SKIP IT. There are lots of better game shows on this summer than Spin The Wheel, and ones that are a lot less confusing. (And couldn’t JT dress a little nicer for his recorded introductions?)
https://decider.com/2019/06/20/spin-the ... r-skip-it/

Love seeing so many game show revivals, some have been lots of fun. I grew up with Jane Krakowski (Ally McBeal, 30 Rock, Broadway) and she shows up with Alex Baldwin on Match Game a lot. Lots of laughs and drinking (like the original).

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:48 am

For fans of Good Omens, or just fans of snark:
A U.S. Christian group is petitioning Netflix to cancel Good Omens, a miniseries based on a 1990 novel by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman that depicts an angel and a demon teaming up to stop the end of the world. The group, called “Return to Order,” is concerned that the show represents “another step to make satanism appear normal, light and acceptable.”

There are a couple of problems with this. First and foremost, Good Omens was made by Amazon Studios and is only available on Amazon Prime Video, not Netflix. Secondly, Good Omens is a miniseries that is already finished because it’s based on a single book and there are no plans to do anything else with it, so it can’t be canceled. :snippity:

Neil Gaiman himself responded to news of the petition by retweeting an image of someone’s notes on the petition and saying that he loves the entire thing. :snippity:

Then the official Twitter account for Netflix UK & Ireland announced they “promise not to make any more.”
https://god.dailydot.com/christians-pet ... n=bloomjoy

Ah, good times.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 am

Funny, I thought it was the behavior of the religious right that was making satanism appear normal.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Return to “The Lounge”