What are you watching on TV these days?

Addie

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm

I've begun watching the excellent Norwegian political thriller Nobel on Netflix. It starts out with Norwegian Special Forces in Afghanistan and moves home to Oslo, where the returning soldier's wife works for a government minister, who is negotiating an oil deal with China for Afghanistan's oil. So what's worse, the war or capitalism, quickly becomes the tension wire. The acting is very good and the slow, low-key, Scandinavian style plot line works very well. I can recommend Nobel highly. I'd expect some connection will be made with the Peace Prize, but I haven't reached that point yet, if it's coming.

¡Qué vergüenza!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Stranger Things 2 did not disappoint. I still love Eleven. Oh, who am I kidding, I love all those kids.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 pm

My granddaughters keep me in the loop on kiddie shows. The one I really enjoyed for a song and dance number was "The Descendants". It is about the children of the Disney villains and s/heroes. Captain Hook's son and Ursula's daughter are portrayed by two multi-talentedyoung performers. Hook's son has a major "walk all over me crush" on Uma (Ursula's daughter) who wants to be top villain. She sings "What's My Name" and the villainous crew sings and dances with her. Great voice, inventive moves, fun number. Just fast forward to it.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Longmire is only 4 days away!

I look forward to the final televised adventures of the Sheriff patrolling Absaroka County, the most lethal county per capita in America.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 pm
My granddaughters keep me in the loop on kiddie shows. The one I really enjoyed for a song and dance number was "The Descendants". It is about the children of the Disney villains and s/heroes. Captain Hook's son and Ursula's daughter are portrayed by two multi-talentedyoung performers. Hook's son has a major "walk all over me crush" on Uma (Ursula's daughter) who wants to be top villain. She sings "What's My Name" and the villainous crew sings and dances with her. Great voice, inventive moves, fun number. Just fast forward to it.
My eight-year-old granddaughter was here over the weekend. She's a big "Descendants" fan. She was thrilled to find "Descendants" II on Disney at 9 PM Friday night. We let her stay up to watch all of it. She was one happy kid! Now I'll have to watch the first movie, and I could tell at the end of D II that there will be a D III. The music and dancing was fun. :dance:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 pm

I look forward to the final televised adventures of the Sheriff patrolling Absaroka County, the most lethal county per capita in America.
I wonder who will be the villain this (last) season? :daydream:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm holding out hope it's me.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm

If you're not watching ABC's The Good Doctor I think you're missing out.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm

The medical issues are a bit preposterous, but Freddie Highmore is brilliant.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm
They have to be to make a medical show, trailing after House, but you're right about Freddie.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:08 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm
If you're not watching ABC's The Good Doctor I think you're missing out.
I tried for three episodes, but couldn't get past the mix of soap opera and how when the "good doctor" said something inappropriate to a patient, nobody bothered to explain to the patient why he had behaved that way.

I had the same problem with "Monk". They'd be in someone's office, and Monk would be rearranging stuff on the person's desk, and while the person would obviously be getting upset about it, none of Monk's co-workers would bother to explain (and defuse) the situation.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:16 pm

I can see that, but I watch 5-6% of what folks watch of any TV that isn't football, so maybe I'm overly impressed.

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 pm

I thought that was Cabot Cove, Maine.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:44 pm
Yeah, the show definitely suffers a bit from being a network show, but the graphics are very cool! And the writing about the way Sean sees the world is so good.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:38 pm

The Italian version of Nero Wolfe mysteries, set in Rome, has started running on MHz. Lotsa fun.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Just saw the season finale of American Horror Story. I've got to admit, every year they come up with something entirely new, lots of plot twists, Very original, and (it seems) not a knockoff of some movie. Also the ensemble cast make it interesting.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 pm
Just saw the season finale of American Horror Story. I've got to admit, every year they come up with something entirely new, lots of plot twists, Very original, and (it seems) not a knockoff of some movie. Also the ensemble cast make it interesting.
I thought it was somewhat of an abrupt ending, but otherwise agree about the series.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 pm

I finished Season 1 of the Bulgarian mob show Undercover on Amazon Prime. Starting Season 2 tonight. If you think you'd enjoy a mobster series, with the added benefit of showing something of modern crime circles in the Balkans, I can recommend this show. With exceptionally good actors and a fast moving, though complex plot, this show can stand up to any crime series anywhere.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Last night, I felt like watching something new, so I started poking around and came across Fearless on Amazon Prime. This Brit legal thriller in six parts revolves around an activist lawyer named Emma Banville. The crime is a disturbing one where a 15-year old girl was murdered and buried twice in different locations. Emma believes the man convicted of the murder was framed and sets out to prove his innocence. In the course of doing so, she senses along the way that there is a much larger crime and a govt coverup, and that becomes the story. Really good show, imo.

(I almost PMed Sterngard last night, because he usually likes to watch the courtroom stuff, but I remembered he doesn't have Amazon Prime. :geezertowel:)

¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:24 pm

:crying:

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 pm

I've said before that Russian TV shows can be downright goofy. If you allow for said goofiness, though, some Russian drama series are pretty good. Running on Netflix currently is a detective series called The Method. It's about a loner police detective, who specializes in tracking down and capturing psycho serial killers. Because he is a psycho himself, he can put his mind to the task of tracking and capturing the psycho serial killers at an astonishing rate of success. But he is dying. For the first time, he takes on an intern/assistant, a recent graduate, a young woman, who wants to find her mother's killer, using "the method." However, she's not a psycho, just a normal girl, smart and motivated. The interactions of the two are interesting in themselves, as they go around the country crime-solving. (I get the sense, though I am not at all sure, that these are true crimes being fictionalized.) As he moves closer to his own death, she is picking up as best she can on his sole legacy, known as "the method." So if you're not above the goofy, give it a try, go at least a few episodes in and see what you think.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm

I just started watching Stranger Things, and wound up binge watching 5 hours

:rolleye:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:52 am

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime. New Yawk Joos being funny. :P Lotsa laughs, but it made me homesick.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:14 am

Vice principals on HBO.

Dark.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 am

The last (and final) season of Longmire was intense. Except for the courtroom scenes. Which were painful.

Return to “The Lounge”