What are you watching on TV these days?

Princess foofypants

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Princess foofypants » Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm
I watched the four-part drama Howards End on Amazon Prime/BBC. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've always loved the book by E. M. Forster, which examines the class structure of pre-WWI England, looking askance at both liberal and conservative ideas. Done through two families and how they deal with or don't deal with their wealth and the poor of society. Wonderful costuming and terrific Hayley Atwell as Margaret Schlegel.
Its on my must watch list. There was a Merchant Ivory movie quite a few years back.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu May 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Found an old series on Amazon Prime, Numb3rs.
I had two best friends who were mathematicians, so this mathematics approach to crime solving is entertaining.
Filmed in LA, it has ton of cameo appearances and features a few later bigger stars.
It has 5 Seasons so binge worthy.

The Mercury Project

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm not watching Michael Avenatti any more. Thank Jeebus.

Is his 15 minutes up?

listeme

Post by listeme » Fri May 25, 2018 8:09 am

Danraft wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:20 pm
Found an old series on Amazon Prime, Numb3rs.
I had two best friends who were mathematicians, so this mathematics approach to crime solving is entertaining.
Filmed in LA, it has ton of cameo appearances and features a few later bigger stars.
It has 5 Seasons so binge worthy.
This was a lot of fun! It gets slightly less novel, but I still watched the whole thing.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

vic

Post by vic » Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Not planning to watch this, but just got the notice that they'll be in the neighborhood for this for seven days starting next Wednesday (4 days prep, 2 days filming, 1 day strike). The filming is at a house about 450 feet away so I guess I'm in the "impacted" area.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/hulu-orders ... 202384638/
Hulu has made a 10-episode straight-to-series order for Light as a Feather, from AwesomenessTV, Wattpad and Kelsey Grammer’s Grammnet (Girlfriends). The supernatural thriller is based on a story by Zoe Aarsen that has more than 2.9M reads on Wattpad.
:snippity:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Showtime's 4-part documentary The Fourth Estate was released on Amazon Prime yesterday. The New York Times as it covers the first year of the Trump administration and its scandals. Nerve-wracking stuff.

Here's the trailer:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks. :thumbs: Harlan Coben definitely has a way with this suburban noir stuff.
TexasFilly wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:12 pm
I finished "Safe" today on Netflix. First rate, and I would highly recommend it. :thumbs:
Thanks for keeping me up until 2 AM! Mr. Filly fell asleep before I started watching it and there's no way in hell I'm explaining the zillions of plot lines in subsequent episodes. He's on his own.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am

Detective Montalbano returns tomorrow on MHz. Can't wait. :panic: :panic:

¡Sterngard! come home.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Just finished watching "Evil Genius" on Netflix. Four-part documentary on the pizza bomber in Erie, PA (some folks called for a pizza, then forced the delivery guy to wear a bomb collar and go rob a bank (which he did), but then he was blown up before he could get to the drop-off site to get the bomb removed. That all happened in the first few minutes of the first episode, so I'm not really spoiling.

The documentary is exceptionally graphic (they show the guy blowing up, for example), but the graphic parts are very short.

This was an incredibly interesting but horrible, horrible story. The documentary was well done, but yikes, who knew there were such horrible people in the world?

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Safe -quite a ride! We binged last week and still keep looking for more episodes. I have to say, the accent didn't bother me a bit! Also, too, I was surprised. That doesn't happen often anymore. :P

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 pm

"Patrick Melrose" ended Saturday. That was quite a ride! I'm expecting an Emmy nomination for Cumberbatch.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 am

kate520 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm
Safe -quite a ride! We binged last week and still keep looking for more episodes. I have to say, the accent didn't bother me a bit! Also, too, I was surprised. That doesn't happen often anymore. :P
► Show Spoiler

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Season 2 of Goliath on Amazon Prime. Very good, very dark.

¡Sterngard! come home.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Has anyone watched The Staircase on Netflix? I never followed the Michael Peterson case at the time, nor did I see The Staircase when it was first released. I'm curious what others think. It's directed to suggest Peterson is a victim who was wrongly convicted. But I think he's guilty as hell. Curious if anyone else has the same reaction?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:33 pm
Has anyone watched The Staircase on Netflix? I never followed the Michael Peterson case at the time, nor did I see The Staircase when it was first released. I'm curious what others think. It's directed to suggest Peterson is a victim who was wrongly convicted. But I think he's guilty as hell. Curious if anyone else has the same reaction?
I'm on the fence about watching it. I, too, think Peterson's likely guilty, and I'm really not interested in seeing a lot of schlock about him personally. EXCEPT: He got a new trial because (according to Wikipedia) a so-called expert "had given 'materially misleading' and 'deliberately false' testimony about bloodstain evidence, and had exaggerated his training, experience, and expertise." So the only part I'm really interested in hearing about relates to that.

I don't really care about the "owl theory" or any of the forensic details -- I just want to see the part about how the credibility of this expert fell apart.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:59 pm

The NYT published a looooooooooong 2 part story over the last two weeks about a school principal from Texas who has been rotting in jail for 16+ years, convicted on blood spatter evidence. The article goes into great depth about the problems with the science, and, worse yet, the "experts" who use it. Most of these guys attend a 4 day course taught by somebody who isn't really an expert either. Nobody fails and they all get a certificate. Shameful.

That said, Michael Peterson is an awful human being and I think he's guilty as hell. And he's gotten away with murder twice. So if you don't want to watch (I don't) read the NYT piece.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:12 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm
Westworld is really good this season. I loved the first season but the second season is really good. The fourth and fifth episodes were jaw dropping.
Shameless plug: One of my dearest friends is Hiroyuki Sanada, we've known each other over 30 years, we worked on the musical Big River in Japan, he was Huck. He's an awesome talent, Hiro was in The Last Samurai and I got to spend a lot of time on the set (Warners in Burbank, almost none of the movie was shot in Japan). Hiro was in the last Rush Hour film fighting Jackie Chan on the Eiffel Tower. We were together in London when he was the first Japanese actor to perform with the Royal Shakespeare Festival (with Nigel Hawthorne in King Lear). He got the OBE, what a day that was. Hiro is key in the season and I'm really proud of my brother. Hope you all get to see it.

Vanity Fair:
How Hiroyuki Sanada Became Westworld’s Secret Weapon
Sanada, an actor, also acted as a Japanese culture adviser for the show’s first trip to Shogun World.
by JOANNA ROBINSON
MAY 20, 2018 10:11 PM

THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS FRANK DISCUSSION OF WESTWORLD SEASON 2, EPISODE 5 “AKANE NO MAI.” IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED YET AND DON’T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE GANG VISITS SHOGUN WORLD, NOW IS THE TIME TO LEAVE.

Unlike Westworld’s surprise introduction to the Raj, this week’s journey into the Japanese-inspired Shogun World has been expected ever since samurai showed up in the Season 1 finale. But still, “Akane No Mai” had some unforeseen twists and turns—including the notion that for all its geishas and ninjas, Shogun World is more similar to the dusty streets of Westworld than anyone might have expected.
Speaking with Vanity Fair for the latest installment of the Still Watching: Westworld podcast, actor Simon Quarterman—who plays the episode’s de facto narrator, Lee Sizemore—revealed that Japanese star Hiroyuki Sanada was the show’s secret weapon when it came to keeping everything culturally accurate. Sanada came to set every day, even when he wasn’t filming, to ensure the Japanese elements of the show were correct. You can listen to Quarterman’s full interview here:
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ory-hector

Avatar Photo: Michael "Who Says?" Cohen. Says SDNY & Mueller. What it's like at the prison in Otisville where Michael Cohen may go? https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/micha ... index.html

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am

The latest episode of The Handmaid's Tale was really messed up, especially given current events.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 am

Turtle wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am
The latest episode of The Handmaid's Tale was really messed up, especially given current events.
I can't read or watch it yet, not while dealing with the actuality. :eek2:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:51 am

stoppingby wrote:
I haven't watched that, but saw several shows on Court TV about him. My gut says he did it, especially considering his first wife died the same way, but I don't know how I would decide if I were on a jury. :think:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 pm

stoppingby wrote:
I watched it originally on HBO and saw it again recently on some channel on TV. I'm slightly on the fence, but lean pretty heavily that he's gotten away with murder twice.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm

Started watching Season 2 of Goliath on Amazon Video last night. I usually hate shows about lawyers but Billy Bob is really good in this and even Mr. Filly liked last night's episode.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Prime: Electric Dreams, New Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle, Mozart in the Jungle

Hulu: Handmaid's Tale, I love you, America

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 pm

And here I was going to nag you to watch :lol:

Also too, Billy Bob won the Golden Globe for Best Actor for the first season. I agree he is incredible in that role.
TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:57 pm
Started watching Season 2 of Goliath on Amazon Video last night. I usually hate shows about lawyers but Billy Bob is really good in this and even Mr. Filly liked last night's episode.

¡Sterngard! come home.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:08 pm

Mr520 has kindly begun watching season 1 of Goliath again with me. Wow. Finished watching up to episode 7 last night, I hope to finish the season tonight.

Wow.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “The Lounge”