What are you watching on TV these days?

Patagoniagirl

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Addie wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:33 am
Anybody watch Texas Rising? It's a dramatization based on a novel and I don't know how historically accurate, but I was thinking about it as a change of pace. Opinions?
I absolutely loved it!

Addie

Post by Addie »

Thank you, P-Girl. I'll keep it on my list. :kiss:
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 pm
Addie wrote:
Anybody watch Texas Rising? It's a dramatization based on a novel and I don't know how historically accurate, but I was thinking about it as a change of pace. Opinions?
I absolutely loved it!
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Netflix documentary series Filthy Rich about Jeffrey Epstein. Whew! :swoon: Disturbing, distressing, depressing, all those things. But it's a good series, imo, I hope will be watched by all parents and grandparents, who need to know and understand the shadowy mesh of dangers surrounding childhood and young adulthood. I always say that maybe it's a good thing I never had kids, because I wouldn't let them out of the house before they were 35. This documentary isn't changing my mind about that. :fingerwag:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reckoning, crime thriller on Netflix. I had not heard of this serial killer series, and had not started watching it intentionally. It lined up after the Jeffrey Epstein doc and I left it on for a few episodes. An obsessed sheriff's detective and a freakish high school guidance counselor, with very good acting in both roles. Freaks are at a surplus in this town in California on the Russian River, which has suffered a long period of serial killings attributed to "RRK" the "Russian River Killer." It's creepier than I usually like, and I'm not sure how much more I want to watch, but it seems like a well done drama series.

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

:clap:
Criterion will stream notable titles by black filmmakers for free
It’s part of an effort to fight systemic racism.
Christine Fisher, @cfisherwrites

In response to the murders of Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Tony McDade and Breonna Taylor, as well as the disproportionate toll COVID-19 has had on communities of color, the Criterion Collection announced a few steps it’s taking to fight systemic racism. For starters, Criterion plans to lift the paywall on select titles from black filmmakers and documentary portraits of the black experience. The titles will stream for free on Criterion’s new streaming service, which is available on several platforms, including Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS and Android.

Some of the titles include Daughters of Dust (the first feature film by a black woman to be distributed in theaters in the US), Maya Angelou’s Down in the Delta, Shirley Clarke’s Portrait of Jason, Agnès Varda’s Black Panthers and Kathleen Collins’ Losing Ground, IndieWire reports. Criterion will share work by both early pioneers of African American cinema and contemporary filmmakers.

“We are also committed to examining the role we play in the idea of canon formation, whose voices get elevated, and who gets to decide what stories get told,” president Peter Becker and CEO Jonathan Turell wrote in a letter to the Criterion community.
Black Lives Matter. pic.twitter.com/aRwDVjuI0O
— Criterion Collection (@Criterion) June 4, 2020

Criterion has established an employee-guided fund with an initial $25,000 contribution to support organizations fighting racism in America, including bail funds, community groups, legal defense funds and advocacy groups addressing police reform. Criterion has pledged to contribute an additional $5,000 monthly to these causes. “We support the protesters who have taken to the streets to demand justice, and we share their hopes. We are committed to fighting systemic racism,” Becker and Turell wrote.
https://www.engadget.com/criterion-coll ... 08556.html
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich on Netflix.

I started watching this 4 part series after another member here mentioned they had seen it. It's Friday evening and I'm all the way to half into part 3 of this documentary since Monday. 3.5 hours thus far. I hate this, but I can't binge through this -- I have to keep taking time-outs. It's very disturbing. I will finish it this weekend.

I've watched other things in between, such as Mr. Brooks:

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/det ... oks/535899 (free on vudu this month)

Never saw it before and it's disturbing but, at least, not real. Way more relaxing than Epstein.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Season 7 of Ray Donovan. I'm liking this show again. :thumbs:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Addie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:14 pm
Don't get too excited.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Addie

Post by Addie »

Downer.
TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:17 pm
Addie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:14 pm
Don't get too excited.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

neonzx wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:49 pm

I started watching this 4 part series after another member here mentioned they had seen it. It's Friday evening and I'm all the way to half into part 3 of this documentary since Monday. 3.5 2.5 hours thus far. I hate this, but I can't binge through this -- I have to keep taking time-outs. It's very disturbing. I will finish it this weekend.
Done.

Everyone needs to see this, even as hard as it is to watch.

----

Now looking for something light hearted and fun.

Sterngard, I gave "Space Force" a go. You were right. I should have headed your warning. That's a pass from me after 3 episodes.

Addie

Post by Addie »

neonzx wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 pm
neonzx wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:49 pm

I started watching this 4 part series after another member here mentioned they had seen it. It's Friday evening and I'm all the way to half into part 3 of this documentary since Monday. 3.5 2.5 hours thus far. I hate this, but I can't binge through this -- I have to keep taking time-outs. It's very disturbing. I will finish it this weekend.
Done.

Everyone needs to see this, even as hard as it is to watch.

---- :like:

bob

Post by bob »

neonzx wrote:
Sterngard, I gave "Space Force" a go. You were right. I should have headed your warning. That's a pass from me after 3 episodes.
Yeah. I mean, if it had something to say, it could have had potential. Even if it was just "The Office in SPAAAAAAAACE!" that would have been OK as well. But not even that.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Addie wrote:
I absolutely loved it!

Apologies! It was the movie "Hell or High Water" I was thinking of. ☹️

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:35 am

What did you think of the rattlesnake waitress?

Addie

Post by Addie »

No worries, P-Girl.
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Addie wrote:
I absolutely loved it!

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am
Patagoniagirl wrote:

The diner in my town where I was a dishwasher.

Customer:. Not sure what I want.
Cook:. You'll get what I make fer ya and damned be grateful.
Me:. Washing dishes.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:28 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am
Patagoniagirl wrote:

The diner in my town where I was a dishwasher.

Customer:. Not sure what I want.
Cook:. You'll get what I make fer ya and damned be grateful.
Me:. Washing dishes.
Ah. So that's where they found her. She's a hoot.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Light-hearted documentary series on Amazon Prime/BBC: Britain's Outlaws: Highwaymen, Pirates and Rogues. Entertaining enough.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Watching the Epstein documentary on Netflix. I resisted this for a long time. I deal with this crap for a living, so it’s hard. Glad I’m watching it, though. The victims’ stories are so compelling.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Addie

Post by Addie »

I generally like the Nordic Noir crime genre, but I think Walter must have been drunk off his noodle when he decided to Present this one. Monster on Amazon Prime/PBS (in Norwegian w/subtitles). An entire town filled with ugly, unlikable people. Even the victims are hard to sympathize with.

As Sternie might say: "Run this one over with a train." :thumbsdown:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is available on Netflix now. Lovely period romance drama. Totally worth a snuggle on the coach with whomever you love.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I confess. The Andy Griffith Show binging. It's been good for my soul. I'm up to Season 8, and on Episode 7, Aunt Bee serves on a jury in Mount Pilot. The defendant is played by Jack Nicholson.

It has become glaringly clear to me that somehow this show was imprinted into my psyche. Everything in my century home is like the home in Mayberry. This may be a new DSM mental illness diagnosis.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bob wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:22 am
neonzx wrote:
Yeah. I mean, if it had something to say, it could have had potential. Even if it was just "The Office in SPAAAAAAAACE!" that would have been OK as well. But not even that.
The problem wasn't casting. There are many seasoned A-list actors who also have cameos in this, as well. It's just poor screen-writing. The actors, as good as they may be, can't make up for a bad script.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Running Mate; (Amazon Prime/MHz) mini-series. Rough and tumble local Irish politics. It's good, imo. :thumbs:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Knives Out on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it. A whodunit featuring Daniel Craig in an interesting role as a sleuth. It's a little humorous and even clever.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”