What are you watching on TV these days?

Addie

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Addie »

Anybody watch Texas Rising? It's a dramatization based on a novel and I don't know how historically accurate, but I was thinking about it as a change of pace. Opinions?
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I'm watching Scott & Bailey on Amazon Prime. About two female detectives in Manchester and their female boss. And the bumbling and sexist male detectives senior and junior to them.

Not a happy marriage nor a competent male figure anywhere.

And it's not a comedy.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Only slightly off-topic.

My husband has been reading my Nook books. He asked me recently if I usually buy and read books by women authors. He said they didn't make him proud to be a man.

:-D
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:45 am
I'm watching Scott & Bailey on Amazon Prime. About two female detectives in Manchester and their female boss. And the bumbling and sexist male detectives senior and junior to them.

Not a happy marriage nor a competent male figure anywhere.

And it's not a comedy.
I love the first few seasons. Amelia Bullmore is great as the DCI. Suranne Jones is in it but she's in everything. It's not a comedy, but there are a lot of scenes and bits of dialog I thought were hysterical. Then it all gets angsty and depressing.

ETA Also it created by Sally Wainwright, (Happy Valley) so that's a plus.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I've ended up watching Seberg. I like it so far. :thumbs:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I’ve watched two episodes of Run on HBO. About a woman who gets a text from an old lover that just says, Run.” And she does. They meet up on an Amtrak train. You figure out why about halfway through the first episode. as the episodes progress, bits of their pasts are revealed. Episodes are short. I really like it. Husband thinks, meh.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

We are still enjoying Golden Balls! The contestants are so cute and funny. YouTube has 41 of them online!

Of course, like every other Fogbowzer, you know what we'll be watching tomorrow night at 9/8c :P

Foggy, did you see the Seven Little Johnstons at Yoga Class?

The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

On my new LG SmartTV I've been watching PayItForwardLive with Dave Matthews:

Sterngard Friegen

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:51 pm
I’ve watched two episodes of Run on HBO. About a woman who gets a text from an old lover that just says, Run.” And she does. They meet up on an Amtrak train. You figure out why about halfway through the first episode. as the episodes progress, bits of their pasts are revealed. Episodes are short. I really like it. Husband thinks, meh.
I watched the first episode and thought it was immoral and disgusting. "Meh" was too mild. One episode was all I needed. I didn't care at all about the two people on the run. If a train ran over them it would be too good for them. I would be rooting for the train.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
I watched the first episode and thought it was immoral and disgusting. "Meh" was too mild. One episode was all I needed. I didn't care at all about the two people on the run. If a train ran over them it would be too good for them. I would be rooting for the train.
:shock:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:
:rotflmao: Now I HAVE to watch it. :P
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

RVInit wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:
:rotflmao: Now I HAVE to watch it. :P
Someone else PMd me the same thing.

Let me know how you like it and whether either of the protagonists is worthy of . . . well, anything.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Y'all made me watch. ONE episode, and I barely made it through that one. It's inane and illogical and the dialogue comes across as particularly forced. Even the facial expressions feel like someone off camera is saying "make that face now while looking out the window." I have no idea who the male lead is but I have an inexplicable, visceral dislike of him. Solely based on the first episode, the story line is so unbelievable as to border on irritating. The best thing I can say about it is that I was watching it while I made lasagna so my time wasn't totally wasted.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Y'all made me watch. ONE episode, and I barely made it through that one. It's inane and illogical and the dialogue comes across as particularly forced. Even the facial expressions feel like someone off camera is saying "make that face now while looking out the window." I have no idea who the male lead is but I have an inexplicable, visceral dislike of him. Solely based on the first episode, the story line is so unbelievable as to border on irritating. The best thing I can say about it is that I was watching it while I made lasagna so my time wasn't totally wasted.
Domnhall Gleason was the lead in a cute movie called About Time. He's charming in that movie. Bill Nighy plays his father, and is wonderful, as usual. I've never seen him in anything else.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Space Force is on NETFLIX. I need some light fun.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I found the Grant documentary on Stremio. I'm enjoying it.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

:thumbs:
Addie wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 pm
I found the Grant documentary on Stremio. I'm enjoying it.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Sterngard Friegen

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm
Another mess. The first 15 minutes were the longest 15 minutes of my life. And, remember, I've spent some time in the same room with Orly Taitz. Three times. :shock:

The sets are great, the costumes first rate. The camera work is excellent. And the special effects are of high quality. It's just the acting, script and plot that sucks.

Space Force is a Netflix disaster. Sad, too. with Carrell and Kudrow involved. They are both great comedic talents.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thanks. I might not bother. I am craving some laugh-out-loud mindless shit.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:21 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm
Space Force is a Netflix disaster. Sad, too. with Carrell and Kudrow involved. They are both great comedic talents.
:shock:

I guess thanks are in order because that one was next on my list. IMDB has it at 7/10.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Laugh-out-loud:
Fawlty Towers
Soap
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'll give Fawlty Towers a whirl to start. Thanks.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:
"Immoral and disgusting" weren't adjectives that sprung to my mind. I mean, yeah, the characters did some stuff that I personally wouldn't do (and would probably be really annoyed if someone I cared about did), but I'm not so prim that I was bothered by seeing it on teevee.* I don't know how this ends -- I've only seen two episodes. It's not clear whether the male character is married or even involved with anyone (there's "Fiona," but I don't know who she is yet); the female character is married with kids, but she seems unhappy. By the end of the second episode they hadn't had sex -- they started to, then stopped. I'm curious about them. But it's totally OK with me that you aren't.

* If you didn't like this, then you'd really hate The End of the F**cking World, which was really excellent, IMO.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sterngard Friegen

I am prim. Pretty much a :geezerette:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Maybenaut wrote:
I watched Episode 1. Not sure if I will look at another.

Return to “The Lounge”