What are you watching on TV these days?

ObjectiveDoubter

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:20 pm

THE KOMINSKY METHOD

OMG. I never laughed so hard. Netflix. (Duh...everything creative these days seems to be on Netflix or Amazon.) From Chuck Lorre (2-1/2 Men, Mom, The Big Bang Theory), with no holds barred. It's 8 22-min. episodes, can be binged in less than 3 hours. I cannot wait for the second season.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:52 am

About 1983 on Netflix, I don't watch a lot of this sort of thing and I hope my confusion hasn't put anyone off watching, because it is excellent. I have two more episodes to go, but I feel sure this first season will earn more seasons. No disrespect intended toward the Poles, it's my own ignorance, but I had no idea that Poland had this strong a presence in the film industry. Well done :thumbs:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 am

Showtime's Enemies, The President, Justice, and the FBI.

It's pretty good. I had forgotten what an utter and complete narcissist Oliver North is. Until the cat was out of the bag. Then, he sat in front of Congress looking for all the world like a poor little abused puppy dog. Complete scumbag. It makes sense that he ended up where he is today, but he belongs in prison.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm

It's Christmas, and that means heart warming, uplifting holiday movies and shows ... which is not what you'll get with Happy!

Think damaged, hard drinking, hard hitting, foul mouthed, foul smelling, ex-cop turned hit man. Definitely adult material. Plenty of scenes NSFW. Overall, a fun romp through the dirty underside of crime, and not to be taken seriously.

Now available on Netflix streaming.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm
It's Christmas, and that means heart warming, uplifting holiday movies and shows ... which is not what you'll get with Happy!

Think damaged, hard drinking, hard hitting, foul mouthed, foul smelling, ex-cop turned hit man. Definitely adult material. Plenty of scenes NSFW. Overall, a fun romp through the dirty underside of crime, and not to be taken seriously.

I'm glad someone likes it, because I love Chris Meloni. As much as I like his acting, it's his tweeting that has me enamored.

Regardless, I tried to like HAPPY, but just couldn't. More power to you.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:02 pm

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm glad someone likes it, because I love Chris Meloni. As much as I like his acting, it's his tweeting that has me enamored.

Regardless, I tried to like HAPPY, but just couldn't. More power to you.
I'm pretty sure this show would fall into the less than 10 percent appeal category. If you like the damaged cop genre coupled with Marvel Movie style production, you might like it. It's The male version of Jessica Jones. An anti-hero saga in eight parts with a Christmas theme.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

Coming to a TV near you!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/d ... CMP=twt_gu
'It sent my heart into a flutter of tiny explosions': your top films of 2018
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:36 am

Finished Netflix's "Altered Carbon."

Not great, but enjoyable and had it's moments.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Watership Down on Netflix.

I really like the earlier movie and the book. The new one is not bad at all and I will give it another watch after a while to see how I find it went not distracted by the different animation style and some of the editorial choices (whether for better or for worse just noting them was distracting).

Meanwhile in the real world-

On the real Watership Down, rabbits are hard to come by

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... 1545471736

The REAL Watership Down woodland is set to be concreted over for a housing estate
EXCLUSIVE: Developers have plans for more than 1,500 houses at Sandleford Warren, the home of the book’s imaginary creatures

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/r ... t-13764991
The march of urban development is set to wreak havoc at the home of the book’s imaginary creatures, as the fate of Sandleford Warren will be decided in weeks, with plans for more than 1,500 houses.

The beautiful Berkshire meadows that inspired author Richard Adams’ portentous tale of Hazel, Fiver and their friends’ quest for survival could be ripped up and concreted over as soon as next summer.

:snippity:

Sandleford Warren’s importance as a local landmark for a much-loved work of fiction has not been enough to secure its ancient woodlands.

Many hikers, tourists and fans of Adams’ book have followed the rabbits’ epic trek from Sandleford Warren, across the River Enborne, past the hounds at Nuthanger Farm to the beauty spot of Watership Down – all real places in one of England’s most beautiful landscapes.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 pm

I found District 9 on Netflix fascinating, disturbing, and thought provoking. Just got through a 4 day flu by watching 10 or 12 Netflix movies, that's the one I can't stop thinking about. Yowza. :o
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Navigating/muddling through Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix). It's their latest attempt at an interactive movie (you make decisions on how the story progresses) - and you get the option of do-overs to change your choices. Apparently, it's a total of 2 1/2 hours of footage and I believe I'm almost done with all the various story paths. Not sure what I think yet. :|
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:15 am

neonzx wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:15 pm
Navigating/muddling through Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix). It's their latest attempt at an interactive movie (you make decisions on how the story progresses) - and you get the option of do-overs to change your choices. Apparently, it's a total of 2 1/2 hours of footage and I believe I'm almost done with all the various story paths. Not sure what I think yet. :|
I'm watching you on Netflix, and I'm making all your decisions for you. (wink)

It's a total must see episode of Black Mirror. Be sure to have your remote in hand.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 am

The Reddit detectives are hard at work decoding Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

They've even worked out the decision tree map already. The movie is barely out 16 hours, and people have deconstructed it.

If the show interests you at all, read this article afterwards. Go with the flow. Enjoy the unknown. It's a fun romp.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm

I, after years of being dismissive of the people who geek out over science fiction/comic book movies, has just discovered Dr. Who. If you need me, I will be on the couch, binge-watching.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:00 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm
I, after years of being dismissive of the people who geek out over science fiction/comic book movies, has just discovered Dr. Who. If you need me, I will be on the couch, binge-watching.
WELCOME! :bighug:
psst. Sekrit Stuffs!
( It's bigger on the inside )
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Which one, though?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:26 pm

I admit to the guilty pleasure of watching Bonanza and Big Valley today on MeTV. I love it when Hoss and Little Joe get to do the humorous stories, this time they got mixed up with a pair of notorious bandits with a resemblance to Joe and Hoss. What fun.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:34 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:26 pm
I admit to the guilty pleasure of watching Bonanza and Big Valley today on MeTV. I love it when Hoss and Little Joe get to do the humorous stories, this time they got mixed up with a pair of notorious bandits with a resemblance to Joe and Hoss. What fun.
I love Bonanza, the early years.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:06 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:34 pm
Kendra wrote:
It's been so many years since I've watched them, it's like all new episodes :bighug:

vic

Post by vic » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:34 pm
Kendra wrote:
I've been devouring Have Gun, Will Travel on MeTV. I'll sometimes watch Bonanza, Rawhide, and Gunsmoke as well. Likewise Columbo and Perry Mason.

I've been recording the Lone Ranger on Family Entertainment TV (a cable channel). They got away with a lot on the small TV's of the 50's. Now the switching between outdoors and a sound stage is all too apparent. I pay particular attention to the outdoor scenes since much was filmed near me in Chatsworth and the Simi Valley. "Lone Ranger Rock" is a 12 minute drive from my house, just over 3 miles as the crow flies. Recording and then watching multiple episodes is a hoot, since they are chasing stage coaches or bad men over the same area, regardless of what state they supposedly are in.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 am

I'm thinking of watching Sesame Street.

It seems like a F'ing excellent idea.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:33 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 pm
stoppingby wrote:
Which one, though?
The ones with David Tennant. I don't think the older ones are available on Amazon Prime. Although I hope to find them. I have a vague memory of trying to watch one of the older ones when I was a kid- I think they broadcast them on our local PBS? Anyway, I couldn't get over the cheesiness of the special effects. Now, I think I would love the bad costumes and cheap sets.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:56 am

MeTV can be addicting, all the old shows they've dragged out. The Westerns are a favorite, but some are getting a bit dated. I have a guilty pleasure of watching Charlie's Angels all over again, cheesy and campy as it is, it's still fun to watch. :bag:

Just watched the newest episode of Outlander, one of their calmer ones - no surgery, no sex and I thought it was going to be blood free except ------->>>>> real spoiler for those who haven't read the books----->>>>>
► Show Spoiler

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:33 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 pm
stoppingby wrote:
Which one, though?
The ones with David Tennant. I don't think the older ones are available on Amazon Prime. Although I hope to find them. I have a vague memory of trying to watch one of the older ones when I was a kid- I think they broadcast them on our local PBS? Anyway, I couldn't get over the cheesiness of the special effects. Now, I think I would love the bad costumes and cheap sets.
Be sure to find the Tom Baker years.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Horrible History on Prime. Is this what inspired Drunk History?
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Return to “The Lounge”