What are you watching on TV these days?

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Feb 14: Not just Valentine's Day this yearhttp://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/cupidsmiley.gif, but the premiere of season two, HOUSE OF CARDS. Get ready, binge watchers.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:25 pm

I've been watching Boardwalk Empire. I'd seen a few episodes, but now I'm watching beginning to end. It's very good one season into it. I'm ready for the third season of Sherlock starting tomorrow, as well as for House of Cards and Homeland and The Killing and The Bridge. 21st century teevee is the bomb; at least it is on Netflix and Amazon. -xx
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm

I seem to have a serious "thing" for reality skilled competition shows, like "Project Runway," "Top Chef," and so-forth – though I tend to avoid the talent show/singing competitions for some reason that I don't fully understand. I just don't seem to have the interest there. But cooking shows, fashion design, movie monster make up, tattooing? Oh yeah! I'm there!

And then there are my three terribly guilty pleasures: "Marvels Agents of SHIELD," "Almost Human," and the incomparable "Teen Wolf" on MTV. Yeah it sounds cheesy as all get out, but it is really, really well done! If you're not familiar with its most recent incarnation, but remember the old Michael J Fox movie of the same title, well… they borrowed some of the names from the movie and there are teenagers in it who are werewolves, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

SCMP = SovCits/Militias/Patriots.

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
-----
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants...

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:34 pm

I've been watching Boardwalk Empire. I'd seen a few episodes, but now I'm watching beginning to end. It's very good one season into it.I'm ready for the third season of Sherlock starting tomorrow, as well as for House of Cards and Homeland and The Killing and The Bridge. 21st century teevee is the bomb; at least it is on Netflix and Amazon. -xxSherlock! :D
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 pm

I usually can't watch weekly series unless the entire family watches, too. We only have one TV. If it's not homework or guitar practice time, it's usually taken. I've been watching things on Amazon Prime and Netflix. I can only watch one series at a time because no time, so I also have a list.

Right now I'm watching American Horror. I've only seen Ep.1, but I like it. That kind of stuff freaks Sprout out, so I have to watch during the day (impossible) or late at night while I'm sleeping (op. cit.). I have no idea when I'll be able to watch the next one. -->

I also sporadically watch Justified and Project Runway. When Game of Thrones comes back, the Fam will be there. Ditto Homeland and The Newsroom.

My guiltiest pleasure is Strike Back.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tink

Post by Tink » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 pm

My TV is mostly tuned to HGTV. Love Property Brothers and Love It, Or List It. On my Kindle Fire, I just started season one of Numbers.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 pm

This past week we have been watching Monarchy on Netflix. Started with Alfred the Great and last night Mrs. V. fell asleep during Richard II. At this rate we won't get to the House of Windsor until some time in February. The show is well done but some of the kings get glossed over to make time for the ones more important to the development of the monarchy. For example, Richard I got very little time but his father, Henry II, and his brother, John Lackland, were covered thoroughly.

Kriselda Gray

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Oh, yeah… I forgot the other category of shows I watch a lot of: Documentaries on why airplanes crash. NO clue why I find that so fascinating but I do :oops:

-----

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:39 pm

This past week we have been watching Monarchy on Netflix. Started with Alfred the Great and last night Mrs. V. fell asleep during Richard II. At this rate we won't get to the House of Windsor until some time in February. The show is well done but some of the kings get glossed over to make time for the ones more important to the development of the monarchy. For example, Richard I got very little time but his father, Henry II, and his brother, John Lackland, were covered thoroughly.Monarchy was really interesting. I watched it on NetFlix but while it promised that it went through to the Windsors, it actually ended after Charles II. I don't know if they've added the rest of it since, but I found it on YouTube and watched the rest of it there. Anything by Howard Woodall (also YouTube) is great. There are a couple different Story of English series there. I'm thinking maybe I could get a proxy IP from UK so that I could watch more of the BBC and Channel 4 stuff on the iPlayer.

I'm definitely a sucker for a good British historical documentary. They don't seemed to be a dumbed down as the stuff from Discovery and History Channel.

vic

Post by vic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:57 pm

I don't normally watch reality or competition shows, but I might have to watch Brother vs Brother. Got a notice today that HGTV is going to be filming at the house on the corner 1/28 - 1/31.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am

I've been getting into the blacklist. James Spader is always a good lead. I liked him a lot during his Boston Legal days but this time his character is a guy you love to late. Besides that I've been watching the dystopian Revolution. I also got into Hostages which stars Dylan McDermott.

Kriselda Gray

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:42 am

What cracks me up about my watching all these competition shows is that when it comes to the actual skills they're showing, it's something that has no actual place in my life. I mean, I could never in a million years wear any of the fashions that the designing competitions create, and I have yet to see more then maybe four or five dishes – total – in all of the seasons of Top Chef, Chopped, Health Kitchen, etc. that I watched that I would even be willing to consider tasting. Most of them look and sound positively dreadful to me. I love the show Top Shot, but am a strong supporter of gun control and find guns rather terrifying, personally. It just makes no sense at all, but… What can I do? I'm totally fucked! (I actually wrote "hooked" there, but I think the voice translator probably is actually more accurate and this case.)

-----

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:08 am

Did anyone watch Bill Maher last night? Carville was on the panel and Mary Matlin was the guest who joins the panel halfway through. Maher mentioned she had some kind of injury. But she was either drunk as a skunk or hopped up on narcotics. It was so painful to watch, I left the room after a bit. I'm kind of surprised her husband didn't run some interference and keep her in the green room.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

interestedbystander

Post by interestedbystander » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:45 am

Watching? Basically too much - but it's winter so it's just temporary.Sherlock (just 3 episodes, srsly?)House of CardsThe FollowingSome in the family still finishing Breaking BadThe Mentalist - I know, I know, but Simon Baker has such twinkly eyes, all else is forgiven.Bletchley Circle (probably UK only)Guilty pleasures: Strictly Come Dancing, Great British Bakeoff, very old Miss Marple's with Joan Hickson, chefy and weight loss reality shows (Jesse Pavelka, Masterchef etc), and the Hotel Inspector. And ok, I admit it, Judge Judy** in my defense, have been unwell recently and spending a lot of time dozing on the sofa - so have had to lower standards somewhatLys - yes it is odd that we watch reality shows that are completely useless to us. I watch quite a few cooking shows - a huge hit in the UK has been Bakeoff -a simple baking competition. Men have been known to miss the football to watch it. I love it, and Masterchef, yet as a vegan I can't eat any of the dishes they produce, and in fact have very little appetite (medication induced - I looooove food) :cry:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:04 am

Spader is great in Blacklist, I agree. I like the show, too.I've been getting into the blacklist. James Spader is always a good lead.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Piffle

Post by Piffle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 am

I'm way behind the curve when it comes to the various TV series, since I didn't get into any of them the past two years. (This is related to the fact that I was only at home in Maine about 20% of the time during 2012 - 2013.)Soooo, I recently took up Downton Abbey with a vengeance. A couple of weeks ago, My Son the Pirate downloaded the whole series from the Internet. (It's not something I approve of but I admit to not having asked too many probing questions.)I devoured the first three seasons in one week flat and plan on watching Episode 6 of Season 4 this evening. For a change, I'm actually ahead of most American fans.I believe Series 4 just began screening in the U.S. earlier this month but it ran in the UK last fall, which is why all the episodes are already "out there".

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:18 am

I'm way behind the curve when it comes to the various TV series, since I didn't get into any of them the past two years. (This is related to the fact that I was only at home in Maine about 20% of the time during 2012 - 2013.)

Soooo, I recently took up Downton Abbey with a vengeance. A couple of weeks ago, My Son the Pirate downloaded the whole series from the Internet. (It's not something I approve of but I admit to not having asked too many probing questions.)

I devoured the first three seasons in one week flat and plan on watching Episode 6 of Season 4 this evening. For a change, I'm actually ahead of most American fans.

I believe Series 4 just began screening in the U.S. earlier this month but it ran in the UK last fall, which is why all the episodes are already "out there".It did. I got a blu ray copy of Season 4 sent to me at the end of November, from the UK. Since I was going on vacation, I loaned it out and it made the rounds and has yet to be returned to me, so I am watching with the rest of the ordinary Americans who are hooked. I just saw ep 2, last night, replayed on PBS. Wow. Sexual assualt on Downton Abbey. What will happen next? And a new cutie patootie for Lady Mary, now that Matthew is dead (having wanted to leave the show for Broadway). It's getting good!

Also watching the new season of Justified, otherwise known as the anti-Kentucky tourist promotion. George Clooney is from Kentucky, Hard to believe.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 am

Completely obsessed with HBO's True Detective. I know many of you are mystery fans--the show has a dark, brooding, occult storyline and compelling acting. Plus music supervised by T Bone Burnett.

obot 10241408971650

Post by obot 10241408971650 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:13 pm

If you have NetFlix, give Lilyhammer a look. Its Steven Van Zandt's quirky American mobster in Norway story.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:17 pm

If you have NetFlix, give Lilyhammer a look. Its Steven Van Zandt's quirky American mobster in Norway story.Totally loved both seasons, and looking forward to the third!BTW, this is the #1 show in Norway.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:24 pm

ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports Midwest, CSPAN2 and occasionally CBS (NCAA bsketball). Suddenlink could remove the rest of the channels and I wouldn't object.
► Show Spoiler
YMMV.

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:43 pm

ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports Midwest, CSPAN2 and occasionally CBS (NCAA bsketball). Suddenlink could remove the rest of the channels and I wouldn't object.
► Show Spoiler
YMMV.I am a cord cutter. I realized that I was paying for cable, but all I ever watched was TiVoed Food Network shows while I ate dinner. I'm uninterested in sports, was already watching movies via NetFlix, Amazon Prime, and my iPad's PBS app, and the stuff I used to watch -- History, Discovery, NatGeo, Science -- had all turned into Sasquatch hunting, reality series featuring people I care nothing about, and other bullshit. So I got an HD antenna for when I really want to see network or PBS stuff on my big screen, and everything else is online.

Kriselda Gray

Post by Kriselda Gray » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Quinn,They Recently did an American version of the bake-off, and that was truly a lot of fun. I was surprised at all of the different types of things they had the people making. One I found especially interesting was when they created a cake that had other pieces of cake inside of it making like little pictures in a contrasting color. I'd never seen anything like that before.We also have our own version of Master Chef with Gordon Ramsay as one of the main judges, and it's pretty fun, too. After seeing him on Hell's Kitchen for so many years where he basically just yells at everyone all the time, seeing him being so encouraging and genuinely interested in the contestants on Master Chef has been quite a change of pace – though it has a bit of a feeling of whiplash to it as well… We also got our first season of Master Chef Junior, which was really well done - and I cannot stand precocious children so I have no idea how that happened :- ( Well, actually, I just really can't stand children much in general, but I'm a grumpy old lady, so it's suits me well :mrgreen: )BBC America recently aired a couple of seasons of the Master Chef Professionals series and I absolutely loved it!! The challenges are cool, and I think it's brilliant to have the contestants going to work a shift at some of the more prestigious restaurants. I've heard there's another season of it that just aired recently in the U.K.and I can't wait too see it here.I think you're going to be getting a version of one of our newer ones soon - The Taste, with Anthony Bourdain and Nigella Lawson. It's fun. and all of the judging is done without the judges knowing who cooked the dish or what's in it. If you get the chance, you might like it. :)

-----

MRich

Post by MRich » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:25 pm

I've been watching a lot of pre-Olympic coverage. I love the Olympics; you get to see a lot of sports that are only on the air every 4 years.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Guilty pleasures: Strictly Come Dancing, Great British Bakeoff, very old Miss Marple's with Joan Hickson,The Joan HIckson Miss Marple's are not a guiitly pleasure. They are still the best versions ever made. I also like the one's with Julia Mckenzie. The one's with Geraldine McEwan don't seem to be as good and as they are short they required butchering the story lines. Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple's might qualify as guilty pleasures. ;)

Return to “The Lounge”