- Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

Patagoniagirl

Musical Interlude

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:31 am

Thwt was for me. Thank you.

Foggy

Musical Interlude

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:31 am

[link]Waging Heavy Peace: A Hippie Dream,https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/135 ... eavy-peace[/link]

... Neil Young offers a kaleidoscopic view of his personal life and musical creativity. He tells of his childhood in Ontario, where his father instilled in him a love for the written word; his first brush with mortality when he contracted polio at the age of five; struggling to pay rent during his early days with the Squires; traveling the Canadian prairies in Mort, his 1948 Buick hearse; performing in a remote town as a polar bear prowled beneath the floorboards; leaving Canada on a whim in 1966 to pursue his musical dreams in the pot-filled boulevards and communal canyons of Los Angeles; the brief but influential life of Buffalo Springfield, which formed almost immediately after his arrival in California.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

Foggy

Musical Interlude

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:33 am

Gosh, thanks for telling us that, Steev. That's important news and shows a unique outlook on life.Oh, and you're banned for spamming us in your other posts that I didn't let through moderation. Buh bye, and best of luck in your future endeavors!

#pasta

listeme

Musical Interlude

Post by listeme » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 am

Gosh, thanks for telling us that, Steev. That's important news and shows a unique outlook on life.Oh, and you're banned for spamming us in your other posts that I didn't let through moderation. Buh bye, and best of luck in your future endeavors!DAMMIT FOGGY. I was researching him and came back to tell you he was a spammer and here you are already knowing.Oh, btw, I love music too!

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Foggy

Musical Interlude

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:40 am

Oh, btw, I love music too!Yeah, but I reckon I'm gonna let you off with a warning. :-bd

#pasta

Volkonski

Musical Interlude

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Been catching up on some of the vast quantity of music I have never gotten around to listening to so far. Such exploration is so easy now thanks to YouTube!

High on my list right now is Alan Hovhaness, the prolific Massachusetts-born and Boston-educated composer of over 464 surviving works (he destroyed many hundreds of his early compositions) including 67 numbered symphonies. Today I am working on the Symphony #66, Hymn to Glacier Peak.

Hovhaness was fascinated by mountains and many of his works are about mountains including his best known work, the Symphony #2 The Mysterious Mountain. (Yes, I know there are those who will say that And God Created the Great Whales is his best known work.)

The Hymn to Glacier Peak is typical of Hovhaness's later style and would be a good introduction to his music.

Hovhaness left Boston for New York in 1951. When I was a student in Cambridge in the late 1960's/early 1970's my music professors were still telling stories about him from when he was a composer and music teacher in Boston.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dolly

Musical Interlude

Post by Dolly » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:29 pm

The USAF Band Holiday Flash Mob at the National Air and Space MuseumPublished on Dec 3, 2013channel: [/break1]youtube.com/user/TheUSAFBand/videos]http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUSAFBand ... sekrit]Air Force Strings performs "Bohemian Rhapsody"[/sekrit]

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Roboe

Musical Interlude

Post by Roboe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 am

As it's getting to that time of year, allow me to introduce you to Guuterput qutsinnermiu, quite possibly the only national christmas hymn in existence. It's also fairly unique in that in Greenland, it is only sung in church. This recording is from last year's 'Christmas Greetings to Greenland', an annual TV show which has its own unique history: It began in 1932 as a way for Danes in Greenland to send christmas greetings to friends in relatives in Denmark, and vice versa. With the influx of Greenlanders to Denmark in recent years, it's also an opportunity for them to send greetings to their friends and family at home. For many it's also a sign that Christmas is right around the corner, since it's usually broadcast on the last friday before the Christmas & New Year holiday kicks in.

Lyrics:

Sekrit Stuffs!
Inngilerpassuit

Savanik paarsisunut

juullimi ima tussiarput:

Guuterput qutsinnermiu

naalannarsingaarli!

Nuna eqqissineqarli

tipaatsungaarillu,

inuk - aa,

annaffissaqaleravit.

Illernartoq Guutiusoq

qilammi Naalagaq

pimmat nunarsuatsinnut

nuannaarneqarpoq

inunni,

annattussannguleramik.

.. the first three lines acts as an introduction and is sung by the choir. During verses 1 and 2, the musical accompaniment seizes, and the audience stands in respect.

Foggy

Musical Interlude

Post by Foggy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 am

That's beautiful, Roboe. Thanks for sharing that with us.

#pasta

realist

Musical Interlude

Post by realist » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:35 am

That's beautiful, Roboe. Thanks for sharing that with us. :yeah: =D>

ImageX 4 ImageX36

ducktape

Musical Interlude

Post by ducktape » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Roboe, that is wonderful. I'm picking it up and putting it into our [/break1]net4tv.com]Net4TV Advent Calendar for Friday, December 20.

Question -- is the language Greenlandic Inuit? Google translate doesn't recognize it.

Roboe

Musical Interlude

Post by Roboe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Roboe, that is wonderful. I'm picking it up and putting it into our [/break1]net4tv.com]Net4TV Advent Calendar for Friday, December 20.

Question -- is the language Greenlandic Inuit? Google translate doesn't recognize it.The lyrics were written in 1858, but I have no idea if the modern Greenlandic dialect (ie. Kalaallisut) would work as "translate from". I've tried to find a translation, but I've only found translations to Danish so far, and translating that into English, without losing the meaning and lyrical quality, would be a nightmare.

Roboe

Musical Interlude

Post by Roboe » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:14 pm

Now that we've actually got the TV schedules for the coming week, it looks like they're recording it on friday (the 20th), but not broadcasting it until next monday (the 23rd). Oh well... :roll:

A little closer to home, here's what Danish christmas concerts usually end with: Dejlig er Jorden. The melody is borrowed from 'Fairest Lord Jesus', the lyrics were written by B. S. Ingemann in 1850, and for this I've had to borrow a recording from Norway.

Lyrics:

Sekrit Stuffs!
Deilig er Jorden!

Prægtig er Guds Himmel!

Skjøn er Sjælens Pilgrimsgang!

Gjennem de favre

Riger paa Jorden

Gaae vi til Paradis med Sang!

Tider skal komme,

Tider skal henrulle,

Slægt skal følge Slægters Gang —

Aldrig forstummer

Tonen fra Himlen,

Sjælenes glade Pilgrimssang!

Englene sang den

Først for Markens Hyrder;

Skjønt fra Sjæl til Sjæl det lød:

Fred over Jorden!

Menneske! fryd Dig!

Os er en evig Frelser fød!

And the odd peculiarity about this christmas hymn? It's insanely popular at funerals as well (indeed, it was the only hymn sung at my dad's funeral).

Volkonski

Musical Interlude

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

One of the women in the photo below is Mrs. V. --> (HInt- she is the one holding a recorder. ;) )http://www.ronyonline.org/RONY%20Spring%202012.jpg

Whatever4

Musical Interlude

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:17 pm

One of the women in the photo below is Mrs. V. --> (HInt- she is the one holding a recorder. ;) )I see her -- she's the woman in black, right?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Volkonski

Musical Interlude

Post by Volkonski » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm

One of the women in the photo below is Mrs. V. --> (HInt- she is the one holding a recorder. ;) )I see her -- she's the woman in black, right?That's right, the one next to the other woman in black. ;)

Whatever4

Musical Interlude

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 am

Way way cool site. Shows the evolution of musical genres, and you can click on all of them to hear what they sound like. Death-Doom? Shoegaze? What on earth is Mathrock? Wasn't he a southern lawyer or something?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Northland10

Musical Interlude

Post by Northland10 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Now that we've actually got the TV schedules for the coming week, it looks like they're recording it on friday (the 20th), but not broadcasting it until next monday (the 23rd). Oh well... :roll:

A little closer to home, here's what Danish christmas concerts usually end with: Dejlig er Jorden. The melody is borrowed from 'Fairest Lord Jesus', the lyrics were written by B. S. Ingemann in 1850, and for this I've had to borrow a recording from Norway.

Lyrics:

Sekrit Stuffs!
Deilig er Jorden!

Prægtig er Guds Himmel!

Skjøn er Sjælens Pilgrimsgang!

Gjennem de favre

Riger paa Jorden

Gaae vi til Paradis med Sang!

Tider skal komme,

Tider skal henrulle,

Slægt skal følge Slægters Gang —

Aldrig forstummer

Tonen fra Himlen,

Sjælenes glade Pilgrimssang!

Englene sang den

Først for Markens Hyrder;

Skjønt fra Sjæl til Sjæl det lød:

Fred over Jorden!

Menneske! fryd Dig!

Os er en evig Frelser fød!

And the odd peculiarity about this christmas hymn? It's insanely popular at funerals as well (indeed, it was the only hymn sung at my dad's funeral).Everything is always better with a descant. :D

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Northland10

Musical Interlude

Post by Northland10 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Because I cannot stop listening to his performance, I will subject the Boogle to some Jonas Kaufmann.The stars were shining,And the earth was scented.The gate of the garden creakedAnd a footstep grazed the sand...Fragrant, she enteredAnd fell into my arms.Oh, sweet kisses and languorous caresses,While feverishly I stripped the beautiful form of its veils!Forever, my dream of love has vanished.That moment has fled, and I die in desperation.And I die in desperation!And I never before loved life so much,Loved life so much!

TollandRCR

Musical Interlude

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:47 am

Canadian musician [link]Calum Graham,http://calumgraham.com/[/link]. H/T [link]Little Green Footballs,http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article ... _-_Waiting[/link]. "Waiting" on solo acoustic guitar

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

realist

Musical Interlude

Post by realist » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:19 am

Very nice.Thanks, Tolland.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Volkonski

Musical Interlude

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:36 pm

J.S. Bach's Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor

About 45 years ago I was absolutely besotted by Bach's Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor. I had (and still have) recordings of it played on organs and pedal harpsichord. It was played at Mrs.V's and my wedding (had to give the organist a little extra for such a long piece). But I have always had a special fondness for Leopold Stokowski's arrangement for full orchestra, most particularly his own 1929 Victor recording.

Stokowski had a 68 year conducting career (1909 to 1977) and he performed the Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor many times. Thanks to the Internet many of these performances are easily available.

His first recording from 1929 with the Philadelphia Orchestra for Victor can be found here-

[/break1]stokowski.org/1929%20Electrical%20Recordings%20Stokowski.htm]http://www.stokowski.org/1929%20Electri ... kowski.htm

He recorded it again for RCA Victor in 1936 on the occasion of the Philadelphia Orchestra's coast to coast tour-

[/break1]org/details/J.S.BACH-OrchestralTranscriptions-NEWTRANSFER]https://archive.org/details/J.S.BACH-Or ... EWTRANSFER

He recorded it with "His Symphony Orchestra" for Capitol around 1958-

[/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=dfuyjrhPIc4]

He did a radio broadcast of it with the Boston Symphony Orchestra in 1965-

[/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=JyGL-uWqkW4]

He recorded it with the International Festival Youth Orchestra in 1969-

[/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=4YjoECZ8tVE]

Again in 1969 he did a broadcast of it on German TV with the Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra-

[/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=x9Sbk3E8-ws]

He recorded it for English Decca with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra in 1972-

[/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=YRn7Y7m4z_w]

I suspect other recordings exist.

Ottorino Respighi also made an orchestration of this work and a modern recording of his version can be heard here-

[/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=bXwHORPeOsg]

Northland10

Musical Interlude

Post by Northland10 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Amazing what Bach can do with an 8 bar ostinato. Being an organist, I am obviously partial to it being played on organs, but Bach always translates well to a multitude of transcriptions.

Return to “The Lounge”