Any Oenophiles here?

Volkonski

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Volkonski » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 pm

I have mentioned that our Long Island home is in the midst of Wine Country with over 50 wineries within just a few miles and 4 vineyards just in our small hamlet. However, I have not mentioned that even here in coastal east Texas we have a vineyard/winery in our city.My wife's cousin and her husband the defense lawyer, who live full-time in our hamlet in New York and who are wine lovers and wine makers, will be stopping here for the next few days on their way to visit their adult children in New Mexico and Colorado. So this afternoon while Mrs. V. is off at a rehearsal I headed over to our local winery to get some bottles for our visitors to try while they are here. There are too few vineyards here to speak about what is typical to the area. The winery offers a merlot, a cabernet, a merlot-cab blend and a semi-sweet red (and also some whites which I did not try). With the exception of the semi-sweet red which is quite sweet, the wines are very dry with an oaky flavor. Mrs. V. may find them too dry. I liked them, especially the cab. They also had a "honey wine" which is really mead. It was quite good, not too sweet.I stocked up so I no longer have to depend on wine brought in from the hill country which after all is over 150 to 200 miles away. Drink locally is my motto. ;)The couple of times I've been in Houston I've tried some Texas Gewurztraminers. I don't recall the name of the winery, but they were pretty good. It surprised me because I think of them as cold weather grapes.Many Texas wineries are in the NE part of the state just south of Oklahoma where the weather is much cooler than in the southern and western parts of the state.This website shows 11 Texas wine growing areas but does not even include our area-[/break1]gotexanwine.org/texaswinetrails/grapevine.html]http://www.gotexanwine.org/texaswinetra ... evine.html

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TexasFilly

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:05 pm

My husband lost his mind yesterday and bought a 2010 Leonetti Cab from Washington State. I'll report back after we've sampled it!A disappointment. Way too dry, no bouquet. My wine of the year: Eleanor, a Francis Ford Coppola wine (named after his wife). Pricey, but would make a great Holiday gift.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Volkonski

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Our local Kroger supermarket has stopped carrying my favorite pinot noir! :((Oh well, just a month to go before we are back in Long Island Wine Country. :D [/break1]liwines.com/]http://www.liwines.com/http://www.liwin ... C-logo.png

Volkonski

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Volkonski » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:06 pm

About a week ago shortly after we got back from visiting our daughter in the north of Texas we found ourselves short of wine at dinner time. We had returned from Long Island shortly before leaving for north Texas and had not yet restocked our Texas house. It was fairly late and I didn't feel like driving across town to the supermarket. However, I recalled that our nearby chain pharmacy sells wine.

I drove over there. The selection is limited which may be why I noticed the wine in boxes. I also noticed the price- $14.99 for 5 liters. Five liters? That's the equivalent of 6.7 750 mL bottles at a price equal to $2.25 per bottle. :shock: I was curious so I bought a box, a cabernet from Chile. To my surprise is wasn't terrible. The cheapest bottled wine at the supermarket is $3 a bottle (and it is terrible ;) ). Live and learn.

TexasFilly

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:56 pm

If anyone loves Chardonnay , I found one aptly named Butter. Runs $15 or so and is quite good.

I believe Anita Hill!

esseff44

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by esseff44 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:37 am

As I mentioned in the EU thread, I went wine shopping this afternoon and stocked up at more than 10% off. How could I resist?  Each wine has a tad of nostalgia attached to it. Here's my haul.This post is being brought to you fueled by a delightful aperitif. It's a cherry red color and it's mostly used in spritzes.  However, I prefer drinking it from a tiny 2 cl Jagermeister shot glass. The name is:  Aperitivo Cappelletti  -Americano rosso  con vini della regione e erbe Alpine.  from the Dolomites near Trento.  It's good for what ails you and tastes good like any good medicine should.  It reminds me of the old-fashioned cherry cough drops.  Yum!Two bottles of Bele Casel  Prosecco -  forget the French stuff. It's highly overrated and you pay for the name of champagne not the giggles. It also makes a great morning gargle to clean out the pipes and get rid of gunk accumulated during the night. However, I must also recommend this sparkling wine made just up the road a bit.http://sourmashed.com/2012/09/review-al ... g-wine/Yes. Califoria almonds married California grapes and produced this delicious combination.  It was served to the patrons of a neighborhood hair cutter on occasion of the Fourth of July.  A great haircut, sparkling wine and a long conversation about our dogs and ground squirrels in the rip rap at the beach. Gawd, I love this town.-a bottle of Tibourene- Clos Cibonne-Cotes de Provence from Le Pradet  2013 cru classe-  a rose .  It was the featured special and I couldn't resist the label. Old style drawing of the vineyards and ancient house.  Held up to the light, it have a rosy glow.-a bottle of 2011 Chateau Croze de Pys- Cahors-Malbec-   I have great memories of Cahors and the Chateaux Cathares.  My friend and I made a pilgrimage to the chateaux destroyed during the Albigensian Crusade...the only crusade against Christians which wiped them out.  But the remains still stand amidst wonderful vineyards with views of Spain and the Mediterranean coast.. They speak a different sort of French down south....Langue D'oc...they say 'oc' instead of 'oui' like the northern French do. It's sort of a mixture of French and Spanish and quite easy to understand.  The wine is a ruby rich earthy red.-a bottle of Le Rocher des Violettes-2013-Touche-Mitaine-Mont Louis sur Loire a white made from old Chenin Blanc vines without chemical fertilizers. hand harvested and made the old-fashioned way in a 15th Century cellar.  The Loire Valley was the headquarters for the trips south.  Joan D'arc was held and questioned there in Poitiers. The building still stand with a small plaque describing her ordeal.   Fresh baguettes, a little cheese and ham, and you have a picnic by the Loire in sight of the fairy tale castles.-a bottle of 2012 Eltviller Reisling Kabinett trocken from Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern-Rheingau-   making Rhine wine since 1464.  This is much like the wines imported by my neighbors across the street......only theirs average around $300 a bottle.  They did give us samples when we were invited to their pre-permit meeting of the neighbors and they were nice enough to leave a bottle at my door for Christmas which I am saving for Filly to come this way.  There are noble wines that are white wines and will improve with age. The Rhinegau produces some of those wines.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheingau_(wine_region)It will go well with this or other German dishes which tend to be rich and heavy.-a bottle of 2010 Col del Mondo (Top of the World)-Terre del Vestini -Montepulciano d'Abruzzo  , Collecorvino,Italy  -I have been obsessed by the new corvids that have come to roost here on Google Hill.  It should be renamed Colle Corvino in their honor.   Montepulciano is a great Italian red wine for rich pasta dishes and roasts.-a bottle of 2013 Sierra de Tolono - Rioja -Tempranillo-    It's summer.  You must have a hearty Spanish red and they did not have Sangre del Toro Reserve with the little bull attached to the bottle.  It will go well with tapas or a simple tortilla espangola   when we have another heat wave come October.Now I am all set for an earthquake, a war or a big party.  It's all the same preparations.  But you have to rotate the supplies.  That something the preppers don't quite get.  It pays to be prepared but you can do it with all the camo and freeze-dried rations.  The worst part of the '89 earthquake here on Google Hill is that we ran out of beer.   Lessons learned.Now I am on the hunt for Santorini wines which should be a bargain soon.  We shall see.  -

TexasFilly

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:38 am

I know so little about European wines. I can't wait to try that Reisling!  I haven't found many places around here that sell anything but really cheap Reislings.  Esseff, try a Reisling with shellfish.  A remarkable pairing.My new favorite California cab is called Plumpjack.  The winery is actually part of the Plumpjack group, owned by Gordon Getty and Gavin Newsome!  The Plumpjack cab is spectacular.  But it's pricey, and not for everyday type consumption.  They also make a line called Adaptation.  It's not cheap but far more reasonable and is just delightful.  I get most of my wines at HEB, a grocery store that has a damned good selection.  If you buy 6 bottles, you get 10 % off.  They also have a cab sale twice a year, where cabs are all 10% off, so if you buy 6, you get about 19% off.  I took a picture of my most recent haul, but it's too embarrassing to post.  :)

I believe Anita Hill!

Volkonski

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 am

I miss the inexpensive wine prices at Texas supermarkets when up here in New York.  As the local North Fork wines have increased both in quality and price the local liquor stores have raised their prices on California wines and imports.

Sugar Magnolia

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:46 pm

I just buy whatever comes in a red, yellow or cobalt blue bottle (for the bottletree) and if it doesn't taste good, I cook with it. It helps that I'm not much of a drinker so I don't know good from bad. That's why I pick wine based on the color of the bottle.

esseff44

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by esseff44 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:24 pm

I like Trader Joe's.  They are famous for their Two-buck Chuck  which people haul out by the case. But they have a great selection of both local and imported wines from everywhere at reasonable prices.  Their buyers get good deals on volume and they certainly have a big market here.  But so do all the little convenience stores on nearly every corner.  I can always find a bargain or two. I know one of the salesmen for Southern Spirits which are the biggest wholesalers in the area.  He sold his little mom and pop that was my go to store and started a new career as a wine salesman.  He is originally from Palestine but lived for many years in Chile before re-emigrated here.  He is very knowledgeable about South American wines and we get some great deal on their products which are also very cheap and surprisingly good.http://www.southernspirits.com/Most of what I know about wines I learned from my dear friend with whom I went on the pilgrimage to the Chateaux Cathares.  He was in charge of the exchange program for the Oregon State university study abroad program while working on his PhD in Troubadour poetry.  He knew more about French history than any Frenchman we ran into in our travels.  He accepted capitalism while he was there and came back as a born again wine importer specializing in the French wines from the vineyards where he had taken the exchange students to help with the grape harvesting.  He now imports mostly Greek wines, so I know he's going to be busy with this little ripple in the currency crisis.   The best champagne I every tasted was one he imported, Lebeau- Batiste which was made from 100% chardonnay.http://www.champagnelebeaubatiste.fr/cuvees.phpFor me, wine is about the season, the weather and the pairing with the seasonal dishes.  Young wines are cheap and there's no reason to keep them unless they are a noble wine from a noble vineyard.  Then, you get into some complex food chemistry of how they age in the casks and bottles.  My former dentist who just died was a connoisseur of champagne and made his own.  He owned a barge floating in the bay and went down to it every day after work and relaxes by riddling his bottles of champagne.  They have to be rotated in their cradles to keep the process going.  His clients were often treated to the results of  his efforts.  He just died a couple of months ago.  RIP and pass the bubbly.   He also collected palm trees and was certified as an importer.  He had a ranch near Palm Springs to propagate rare and endangered palm species.   We have a lot of stories about this wonderful eccentric dentist and his unusual hobbies.  

Volkonski

Re: Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Volkonski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:50 pm

:crying:

Guardian news

@guardiannews

Wine prices to rise as bad weather brings worst harvest for 50 years
http://
ebx.sh/2p1bsxS

3:47 PM - Mar 9, 2018
It’s the kind of bad news best served with a stiff drink: the price of standard supermarket wines such as prosecco and pinot grigio could rise by up to 30% this year as the impact of 2017’s disastrous harvest is felt on the high street.

Global wine production slumped to its lowest level in more than 50 years in 2017 after vines in the world’s top three producers – France, Spain and Italy – were ravaged by both freakishly hot and cold weather. Hard-hit regions include those producing Rioja and prosecco, which make large quantities of the affordable wines sold in supermarkets.

“We’ll start to see those [2017] wines coming to the market now and I think for higher volume, lower price wine you will see cost increases,” says Dan Jago, chief executive of high end wine merchant Berry Bros & Rudd.

“Prices for things like pinot grigio or generic Spanish reds will rise by between 10% and 30% and it’s [a question of] how much of that retailers will pass on,” says Jago, who previously headed up the Tesco wine business. “Prosecco was very hard hit by frost, so there will be less of it and the price will go up.”

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Our summer home of Riverhead LI is number 3! :o :thumbs:

Forget Napa. *Ohio* Is the Top Wine Destination You Need to Know About

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... cid=HPCDHP
When you think of amazing stateside wine destinations, your mind probably goes to California, the Finger Lakes or Oregon. But would you believe us if we told you to book a trip to—wait for it—Ohio?

Yep, the Buckeye State is this year’s number one destination for wine, according to data pulled by RewardExpert. More specifically, Coshocton (a city east of Columbus) is where you should head if you consider yourself an oenophile. It’s home to Heritage Vineyard Winery, the most highly rated winery in the survey. What’s more, the surrounding area is home to nine wineries total (about 1.4 wineries per 10,000 residents), and the average wine rating is 98 out of 100. We’re sold.

Rounding out the remaining top five spots were Easton, Maryland; Kingston, New York; Riverhead, New York; and Sacramento, California.

vic

Post by vic » Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:51 pm
Our summer home of Riverhead LI is number 3! :o :thumbs:

Forget Napa. *Ohio* Is the Top Wine Destination You Need to Know About

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... cid=HPCDHP
When you think of amazing stateside wine destinations, your mind probably goes to California, the Finger Lakes or Oregon. But would you believe us if we told you to book a trip to—wait for it—Ohio?

Yep, the Buckeye State is this year’s number one destination for wine, according to data pulled by RewardExpert. More specifically, Coshocton (a city east of Columbus) is where you should head if you consider yourself an oenophile. It’s home to Heritage Vineyard Winery, the most highly rated winery in the survey. What’s more, the surrounding area is home to nine wineries total (about 1.4 wineries per 10,000 residents), and the average wine rating is 98 out of 100. We’re sold.

Rounding out the remaining top five spots were Easton, Maryland; Kingston, New York; Riverhead, New York; and Sacramento, California.
Suffice it to say, the methodology is seriously flawed, given that they made the incredibly stupid decision to group wineries based on the first three digits of their ZIP code. So for example, their "Sacramento" selection excludes four of the five 3-digit ZIP codes in that county, while at the same time including portions of other counties.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 pm

:roll:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed May 23, 2018 5:47 pm

I've had some New York wine before. I probably wouldn't turn down a free glass or two, but I don't think I'd seek it out or purchase it. Some of it wasn't bad, but most of it isn't up to the quality of the house wines at some of the farm-country auberges I've been to in France.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed May 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Has anyone tried Japanese wines? Back in the days when i frequently traveled to Kobe, our hosts took us to the sawed-off top of one of the mountains. There was a vineyard there. I think some more learning is required for them to make a passable wine. Also, i am not sure that Kobe is the right place to do it.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:47 pm
I've had some New York wine before. I probably wouldn't turn down a free glass or two, but I don't think I'd seek it out or purchase it. Some of it wasn't bad, but most of it isn't up to the quality of the house wines at some of the farm-country auberges I've been to in France.
Was that NY wine from the North Fork or from the larger wine growing region upstate?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Was that NY wine from the North Fork or from the larger wine growing region upstate?
Finger Lakes. Haven't tried the North Fork yet.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed May 23, 2018 6:55 pm

There are actually a few pretty decent German-style off-dry rieslings available around the Finger Lakes, but generally I agree with you, Mike. Okay but nothing to write home about.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:39 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Finger Lakes. Haven't tried the North Fork yet.
Hope some day you get the opportunity to do so. :thumbs:

Almost all North Fork wine is sold only on the North Fork. Some is sold in Manhattan. The output is not huge. The quality of North Fork wines is known mostly locally or I should say is known mostly in Manhattan where most of it is actually consumed by wealthy people who make regular wine-buying day trips to the North Fork. ;)

NY Wine Regions acres in production (approx)-

Lake Erie Region- 20,000 acres

Finger Lakes- 10,000

Long Island (mostly the North Fork- 2500

Hudson River Valley- haven't found data

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:04 pm
Has anyone tried Japanese wines? Back in the days when i frequently traveled to Kobe, our hosts took us to the sawed-off top of one of the mountains. There was a vineyard there. I think some more learning is required for them to make a passable wine. Also, i am not sure that Kobe is the right place to do it.
I got into wine while living in Japan and have occasionally tried some Japanese wines. There are some nice wines but usually the price point, even in Japan, is a bit high compared to other countries obviously. One of the most interesting, and one of the bext QPRs is this place, Coco Farms, and a great place to support:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiap ... index.html
http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/51148

The american winemaker who was there for years is now doing his own wines, pinot noir grown in Hokkaido I think...

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

My wife and I lived in the Bay Area after taking a long working culinary tour around Western Europe. Because of connections we spent a LOT of time in Spain working in the Paradors, state run hotels on historic landmarks and in Italy working in a little town called Stresa on Lago Maggiore in the Alps and went as far south as Rome, but that part was as tourists and we wined our way through Tuscany.
When we got back to the States, we ended up in San Fran with me as Chef at the Clift Hotel and her at Postrio, Wolfgang Puck's new place on Post St as the wine buyer for all the Puck properties.

Every time I came in the door in our home in San Mateo, she would have a collection of ten wines or so to take notes on and we went to the wine country to the north (Napa and Sonoma) often and got the absolute best treatment. The winemaker would pull verticals of many years of a wine including barrel tasting of what was in the works. Lots of great wines and interesting characters, Dick Grace of Grace Family Vineyards was a hoot as he was an investment banker in his previous life and was at that point climbing all of the top ten mountain peaks-- he was in his late 70's.

Almost all of the Napa/Sonoma wines were of the Bourdeaux varietals- Cabernet, Merlot, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec, and some, in the north doing Pinots and such of the Burgandy styles.
But, Randal Graham, a rebel and fun guy had determined that the area was actually better suited for the Rhone varietals and billed himself the Rhone Ranger. It is now a well established movement, but originally it was pretty much just him at Bonny Doon knocking them dead with something that was unique at the time--Syrahs, Mouvedre, Grenache,etc with complex stunning very food friendly wines. I have done at least 30 wine dinners with that style pulling wines from all over, Goats do Roam from South Africa, a tongue in cheek version of Cotes du Rhone, and watched the scene looking for wines with bang for the buck for my wine lists getting my first Wine Spectator Award at the Clift in '98.
The Mizz and I tended to go for the big chewy reds and would end the night with our teeth stained red, lol. She eventually got her Master Sommeiller degree, one of the few women at the time, and from what i remember, we had a great time.
The normal expected path is starting with sweeter white wines (so called starter wines) progressing to light whites like S Blanc, then oak aged wines like Chard, then light reds like Merlot, and into the more tannic Big Reds.

But, many, including myself, come back to and find some of the sweeter wines have amazing depth and pleasure-- good Rieslings, Gers, etc. .
I hold with a lot of early New American Chefs with the belief a good champagne in the fridge is a must and a good start to any occasion, but my fave fave fave is to finish a meal with cheese-another passion with a Cheese Cart appearing in a few of my places-- and, Botrycized Muscat. Port (Ruby) is great, but that Noble Rot sweet syrup is like truffle to a pig for me... yummm.

But, wine took a backseat for a while as I ended up being a Brewmeister for a 7-barrel system in New Braunfels TX and discovered the nuances of Hops and Yeasts making 3 ales a week taking meticulous notes on time in wort, mixtures of barley and sprouted barley (malt), sequential adding of bitter hops and floral hops, pH, brix, etc.. Very hard work with lots of cleaning and sanitation being 80% of the time and cooking, brewing, infusing, clarifying, chilling, filtering, carbonating, and blending taking the rest.
But, beer, even at it's best can't do the magic that wine does with the skins and lees and oak adding more dimensions than could be done with beer.

I've done some horrific experiments with "Oaking" beers, blended grape juice/wort combinations with yeasts from the ale family and "hopping" wine. I'm convinced there is something amazing there, and, perhaps there is.... but even the vinegar I've made from my failures isn't culinarily useful.

The best wine is what you like. Sometimes accidental pairings are great, so be fearless.

We've go work to do, so pull on your sock puppets and Log In!!!- Dr Whom (DNA test prove the M is silent)

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu May 24, 2018 1:13 am

Danraft wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm

The best wine is what you like. Sometimes accidental pairings are great, so be fearless.
Just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed your post. Thank you.
:bighug:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 am

Thanks.
In my green youth as a chef, I used to just plain not understand the excitement about wine. I had literally hundreds of ingredients to layer flavors and textures with and this liquid with two or three ingredients stealing some of the spotlight was a mystery to me.

I think the book, pretty sure, "Red Wine with Fish" opened my eyes.
It took an unusual approach of sequential food & wine experiments. A recipe was given, and a couple of wines to pair with it.
The first was simple. Fresh oysters. (simple recipe, eh?) paired with a true "chalky" Champagne grown on limestone rich vineyards (delish) or a tannic oaky red (jarring and bad).
IIRC, the" Red Wine with fish" recipe was a snapper type firm fleshed flaky ocean fish using a Buerre Rouge to bridge the palate. A version of which ended up a year later in my New American Cajun-Creole Fine Dining restaurant, Lagniappe. Named "Red Redfish" it was a hit and we went through 80# a day.
Gray Kunz has a much more timely tome wherein he tosses aside "5 FLAVORS " and details out 21 separate distinguishable flavors with recipes to demonstrate. Wine pairings noted with each.
A book that will change one's perceptions forever. The Elements of Taste. In the published book he whittled it down to 14 flavors.

We've go work to do, so pull on your sock puppets and Log In!!!- Dr Whom (DNA test prove the M is silent)

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 am

Danraft wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm
:like:

Excellent post, another facet of the Fogbow experience :thumbs:

As far as wine-country touring, we've never been a position to get the VIP treatment - but we've learned to go during quiet times (usually december in napa/sonoma, and more recently santa barbara/paso robles) .. often we're the only visitors in the tasting room, and usually the staff would rather be out there talking than doing busy-work in the back.. many times it would be the two or four of us, and half a dozen staffers riffing off each other..

If you are doing it for "work" I imagine you have to cover a lot of ground.. it wasn't "work" for us, but in our younger days we'd aim to hit at least a half a dozen wineries in a day (hey, I'm an engineer, it was clearly an optimization problem).. now it's usually one or two.. so, have a list of the places you are interested in visiting, but don't make checking off the list a goal.. and if you stumble across a place that looks interesting but isn't on your list, that's good too..

like many thinks in life, it's a journey, not a destination..

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Return to “The Lounge”