Any Oenophiles here?

TexasFilly

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:48 pm

So, Mr. Filly and I have developed a strong love for good wines. It's an expensive hobby, but it's fun. Mostly, we like reds; cabs or blends. Lately we've been into the Ramian label, which has produced some awesome reds and their cab franc is one of our favorites. Since there are a million wineries in CA alone, I was wondering what some of you may prefer for everyday drinking and special occasions. We obtained a bottle of Caymus which we delightfully drank on Father's Day. The high end Benzingers are awesome too (especially Tribute, which I have to order from the winery soon).Anyone else?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Sterngard Friegen

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Amateur myself. And I like the offbeat. (What else is new? :sterngard: )I favor the wines of the Margaret River District in W.A. I have visited the vineyards there and they are sensational.

Princess foofypants

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Princess foofypants » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:02 pm

I wish, but my liver and my meds are uncooperative. But I love a good Chanteuneuf du Pape (or maybe I just like saying it and Gewurtraminer) and Penfolds Grange (Aussie) is fantastic!

Volkonski

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:13 pm

Funny you should mention wine. Our house on the North Fork is in the heart of Long Island's Wine Country. There are 50 wineries within a few miles. --> There are 4 wineries just in our tiny hamlet.[/break1]liwines.com/]http://www.liwines.com/I like pinot noir. Mrs. V. prefers merlot.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

verbalobe

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by verbalobe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:50 pm

I have long harbored a desire to become... and to afford to become... an Oenophile.

I adore fine wines, and adore playing with food pairings.

I am partial to Spanish riojas at the moment, and have never loved the sweet whites, but I'll try anything once. "Local" wines are often a delightful discovery wherever one happens to be. I would love to try a North Fork label. But it's also a marvel of our global economy the ubiquity of labels from all over the world.

An unabashedly oaky Cabernet with plum and cherry undertones and a blackberry finish is a fine way to start and/or end an evening. Goes well with filet mignon, Reine de Sabat chocolate cake, and romance.

realist

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by realist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I prefer to stick with the known factors, so the taste I developed in high school still remains my favorite and the only fine wine I drink. It goes well with food or activity and never lets you down.What can be said that hasn’t been said already? [/break1]photobucket.com/user/nmgolfer_bucket/media/Unrelated%20Stuff/ThunderbirdWine_zps502841a0.jpg.html]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn31 ... 1a0.jpgThe highly stylized bird on the front is faintly reminiscent of some better foreign Vodkas. That handy screwtop is great as one need not always have a corkscrew handy to enjoy one's favorite beverage. There’s some surprising sweetness there and a bit of citrus. This thread is making me thirsty. Let me check the freezer and see if I have a bottle ready. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Whatever4

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:16 pm

We're into sipping wines below $20 here. From Wine.com mostly as they deliver to our door. (We don't drive.) Whites: Riesling, Pinot Gris. Reds: Argentinian Malbecs, Australian Syrah/Shiraz, Chilean Carmenere, Spanish Mourvedre/Monastrell, Spanish Rioja/Tempranillo. W2 is the wine guy, I'm the thumbs up/down guy.Also champagne, prosecco, cava. I inadvertently embarrassed the waiter at the FEMA Camp 17 by choosing a Cava from the menu that he hadn't noticed. After that, he thought I was the foodie/oenophile at the table. I'm also a proponent of local wines. I have a Maine Ice wine in the fridge for a special occasion -- maybe the assortment of 20 different kinds of dates from the FEMA Camp farmer's market. I had an amusing wine from [link]here,http://www.sevenmountainswinecellars.co ... /our-wines[/link] at Mother's Day dinner. Sekrit Stuffs!
The amusing part was that the label said "Peachy flavors", and one of the most common names in the valley is "Peachey". I kept imagining my chimney guy and his farmer family stomping the grapes.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

ZekeB

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Muscatel. Where oh where can I find a nice cheap muscatel?

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

ducktape

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by ducktape » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 pm

As a mostly non-drinker (sake and cider being the exceptions), I have a big pantry of 2-Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's for cooking.

Whatever4

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Muscatel. Where oh where can I find a nice cheap muscatel?If the label says "Muscato", add $10.00.
Edit: For zeke: [/break1]economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/06/etymology]http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/ ... /etymology

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

As a mostly non-drinker (sake and cider being the exceptions), I have a big pantry of 2-Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's for cooking.I tried some of that plonk. Here it's more like 4 buck crap. :::shudder:::

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Mr. Gneiss

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:55 pm

TF, Since you and Mr. Filly generally enjoy cabs and blends, I would suggest trying a California Sangiovese. A few years ago a friend sent as a thank you, two bottles of Benessere Sangiovese....very tasty indeed. The 2009 Sangiovese is priced at $32. The winery also has a blend called Phenomenon that is composed of Cab., Sangiovese, Merlot and Syrah; the 2008 is $50.http://www.benesserevineyards.com/

rosy

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by rosy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:06 pm

I am fond of a New Zealand Sauv. Blanc, particularly Coolwater Bay and Cloudy Bay. Californian white Zinfandel is nice on a sunny day - we don't get a great deal of choice of California wineries here except at the wholesalers. I'm not a great lover of oaked Chardonnay but will drink an unoaked one where I can find one. European wines - I used to drink French wine exclusively, visiting vineyards every year and finding the best ones that weren't going to be sent to the supermarket, then bringing them home which always felt like extending the holiday! Unfortunately I've not been to France for a couple of years now. Last time we were in the Languedoc and I got a beautiful St-Chinian blanc called Le Petit Paradis, which is a blend of roussanne and grenache. I brought 48 bottles home with me and rationed myself to one a week to make it last.I like Prosecco and in fact prefer it to Champagne, and I like a nice chilled Frascati too. I don't drink so much red wine as I had a bad reaction to one a little while ago, and for a long time after that even the smell of someone else's red wine would make me ill. However, I do like the soft reds like the young Cotes du Rhone and Cotes du Tarn wines.Of course this is all academic now, as I am strictly forbidden to drink any alcohol until the docs have sorted out what is wrong with my liver. So please drink (responsibly) for me, and I will enjoy it vicariously. :D

GCharlotte

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by GCharlotte » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:30 pm

If you're serious about wine then I'd like to hear your opinion on Two Buck Chuck. One of my clients said it's as good as $100 bottles he's tried. I don't have a taste for wine which is probably a good thing.[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine

Whatever4

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 pm

If you're serious about wine then I'd like to hear your opinion on Two Buck Chuck. One of my clients said it's as good as $100 bottles he's tried. I don't have a taste for wine which is probably a good thing.[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wineAwful stuff. No body, plonk.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sterngard Friegen

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Just asking questions.On every subject apparently. :roll:

realist

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by realist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Just asking questions.On every subject apparently. :roll:And that's a problem because?

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Whatever4

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Just asking questions.On every subject apparently. :roll:And that's a problem because?Stern's badgering again.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

realist

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by realist » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Just asking questions.On every subject apparently. :roll:And that's a problem because?Stern's badgering again. :lol:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Sterngard Friegen

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Just asking questions.On every subject apparently. :roll:And that's a problem because?Stern's badgering again.Do you have any photos? 8>

Whatever4

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Stern's badgering again.Do you have any photos? 8>Yup, haven't unpacked the camera yet.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sterngard Friegen

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Stern's badgering again.Do you have any photos? 8>Yup, haven't unpacked the camera yet.In 1985 the Lodge changed significantly, all it’s history marshaled toward becoming the unique establishment it is today. The entire structure was renovated by the then owner, Grand American Fare Inc., also owners of the famous Oar House in Santa Monica. The vision of its founder, Al Ehringer, created the unique ambiance that we experience at Saddle Peak today–its massive timbers and log walls, its native rock booth, its hunting and fishing gear, its elegant salon paintings, and its fantasy and warmth. Old friends contributed memorabilia ranging from objects of fine art to relics of the Old West. Books of every kind, moved from private libraries of guests, line beautifully crafted shelves. The badger on the south wall? A gift from a grateful diner who thought it needed to go there. An antique spoon collection, old hunting and fishing gear, dreamy landscapes, birds, animals, fish—all collected with meticulous care to recapitulate a history shared by generations of friends. The mystery of Saddle Peak and its ability to inspire every sort of tale or happening remained. Was there really a ghostly woman with long dark hair who occasionally appears unhidden at Table 41 upstairs? Was mayhem once committed by a jilted rancher in an upstairs room? What is the real origin of the dining room’s saloon paintings? Do the likes of Richard Burton or the Hollywood Rat Pack still feed the coyotes with buffalo bones thrown from the back terraces at night?[/break1]saddlepeaklodge.com/history-2/]http://www.saddlepeaklodge.com/history-2/I don't seem to get any respect anywhere. Grateful diner. (Notice the fpoon fentence follows.)

Estiveo

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Estiveo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:43 pm

You can't swing a dead cat in my town without hitting a winery. I favor Solis, Gugliellmo and Clos La Chance. Realist would like Clos La Chance; it overlooks the Cordevalle golf club where the Fry's.com Tournament is played. I prefer the reds myself, and love a good pinot noir.

Image Image Image Image Image

Maybenaut

Any Oenophiles here?

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I used to live in Sonoma County. As more of a beer drinker, I was just taking up space. I do like a good home-brew, though, and I've even been known to brew my own. :-

Return to “The Lounge”