Merry Christmas (or other holiday of your choice) and Happy New Year!

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Merry Christmas (or other holiday of your choice) and Happy New Year!

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Not pointing fingers because I honestly don't know, but how many people advocating for not perpetuating the myth of Santa have kids? Did you raise your kids like that or is it something you came to believe after it no longer mattered to your own kids?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Christmas Eve at the Volkonskis'.

Everything ready for Christmas morning.

Mrs. V,, her sister and our son-in-law played a new board game.

Our daughter made chocolate chip cookies-

And Vegan Caesar Cocktails.

We had snacks.

Mrs. V's sister flew out Christmas morning so there were only four of us for dinner.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:20 pm
You are sentenced to watch The Polar Express 5 times in a row, mister! :fingerwag:
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Vegan Caesar Cocktail Recipe

Ingredients
1 lime wedge
1 tablespoon celery salt
2 handfuls ice cubes
6 oz vegetable juice cocktail (3/4 cup)
1 oz vodka
1 teaspoon liquid in a jar of olives
several dashes hot sauce
fresh ground black pepper
1 celery stick, pimento stuffed olives and dill gherkin pickle, for garnishes

Make the celery salt rim on the glass by running the lime wedge around the lip of a glass to wet the rim. Sprinkle the celery salt on a small plate then flip the glass upside down and dip into the celery salt, turning to coat the rim as needed.

Fill the glass with ice, squeeze and drop in the lime wedge you used to rim the glass, then follow with the vegetable juice cocktail, vodka, olive brine, and hot sauce. Give it a stir and garnish with a bit of black pepper, a celery stick, pimento stuffed olives and dill gherkin pickle.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for sharing. It looks wonderful. :bighug:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby »

On the issue of having children believe in Santa Claus:

I was never told that Santa was supposed to be real. Instead of being stunned to learn that Santa Claus was a fable, I was stunned to learn that some kids believed he was real. And even after I was told that some kids believed, I never seemed to remember. I was also an unusually mature child whose mother was happy to lend me out to any frazzled mom in need of a babysitter. This combination (free babysitting, but couldn't play along with the santa-is-real shtick to save my life) made me very popular with the parents in the neighborhood eleven months a year. In December though, not so much.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Looks great V. A nice, cozy Christmas. I love it.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:29 pm
Not pointing fingers because I honestly don't know, but how many people advocating for not perpetuating the myth of Santa have kids? Did you raise your kids like that or is it something you came to believe after it no longer mattered to your own kids?
I don't have kids. My mom raised 7 kids and says she wouldn't do the santa thing now.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:29 pm
I'm childfree, and we weren't raised on the Santa myth, so it's easy for me to say it's fine to teach kids that Santa isn't real, he's just a fun imaginary Christmas character, same as witches and ghosts are fun imaginary Halloween characters.

My extended family got together every Christmas Eve, and after dinner we'd all enthusiastically (and laughingly) sing carols while all the dads conferred about which one got to go upstairs and Put On The Suit. Sure enough, our caroling would soon be interrupted by a loud jingle of bells, and Santa Claus coming down the stairs with a large sack of presents. We all knew it was one of our dads playing Santa - that's what made it so fun! He'd crack jokes, and we'd joke back. Then he'd pull a gift out of his sack for each person present, after which he retreated upstairs to change out of the suit, while we began handing out and opening the rest of our presents.

Here's the thing: all of us kids begged for a chance to Put On The Suit. We all wanted to play Santa Claus! But, of course, you had to be tall enough to fit the suit, and in those days, girls couldn't play Santa.

That's my great Christmas memory. We didn't have to believe in Santa to have a great time with the character.

Regarding the income inequality argument: that's the thing that eventually caused my family to celebrate separately from our cousins' families. See, their dads had good paying white-collar executive jobs, and their parents had only had three kids each. While my dad worked a blue-collar factory job and he and my mom had eight kids. They simply didn't have the means to provide the quantity and quality of gifts that our cousins got, and as we got older, we couldn't help noticing the disparity...and it hurt. Finally, a couple years after my dad died and we were really broke (and our cousins began being especially snotty about us being poor), we asked our mom if we could stay home and do our own Christmas, so we wouldn't be comparing what we got to what our cousins got. Sounds petty, but we were kids, and it did hurt.

My mom was smart. She agreed we could do our own Christmas, but she required us to go with her to deliver a Christmas basket to a different poor family each year. Compared to us, these families were really poor, which gave us a lot to think about...and to be thankful for. We came to realize that we could've been so much worse off.
I've heard this bull before.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Another Boxing Day winter walk over and done. Being married to a Brit it’s a thing we do every year, a very jolly event and we had many dogs this year from Leo, the tallest most moose like Great Dane you ever saw in your life, to these bitty little white poofy dogs who considered themselves the equal to Leo but who were not even half as tall as his knees! A lovely hour (or so) walk through the woods, and today the weather was perfect, all followed by hot-spiced whiskey and cucumber sandwiches back at the house.

Life is good… except the cucumbers. I hate cucumbers.

And in the event anyone is interested…”Proper” (according to MrD) cucumber sandwiches are made on wheat bread with the crusts cut off, mayonnaise on both sides with a pinch of salt, and each cut in half. The hot spiced whiskey is served in a short glass, a spoon full of raw sugar at the bottom, on top of that a full slice of lemon with a wheel of 6 cloves on top, followed by a full shot of your whiskey of choice, and topped up with a boiling water. People really seem to like that and consumed quite a lot of both.

Happy boxing day!
:bar:
Birfers are toast

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Santa stopped at our house, had a few, and left a bit under the legal limit completely pleased with our year. Hence the fiber optic inspection scope with six foot flexible lens and five inch color LCD screen. Woohoo! Our second born, OTOH, must have gotten on the yer-gonta-hell list because he spent Christmas Eve and most of the day sick. He and DIL went to a pot luck at some friends. He ate something she didn't, and may have gotten Montezuma's revenge. Hard to say. He refused to go to the doctors preferring to be miserable, and barely above ground. On the plus side that pared our dinner table down by two making room for our grand-daughter and her plus 1 that showed up without notice. I call it fate.

We had a nice ham feast with scalloped taters, candied yams, green bean casserole, and dinner rolls. The taters and beans were out of the garden this year. I tripled raised the dinner roll dough so it was very tender and even textured. Fambly brought strawberry chiffon (Mrs' favorite), and Lime chiffon (my favorite) for dessert. After dinner, we packed up some dinner plates to go, and headed over to our sick boy's house along with some Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, and some Vegetable Beef just in case. He was still in his merry-effing-christmas mood speaking in dark languages reserved for doomed souls, but DIL was happy to get some of the ham, yams, and strawberry chiffon. She had made herself busy knocking out several batches of shortbread - totally scrumptious. How can baked plain old flour, sugar, and butter be so good? Who knows. More Christmas magic I think. And much appreciated.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Bill_G wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:56 pm

We had a nice ham feast with scalloped taters
I'm always looking for a good recipe for scalloped taters... if you haz one you can message it to me and I'll trade you a family secret recipe for CCBBs.. Choclate chip blond brownies... :dance:
Birfers are toast

vic

Post by vic »

I usually spend Christmas with my next-door neighbors, who I’ve known since 1968 - almost 12 years before I bought this house and became their neighbor. Two of their sons are my god-children ( yes, a Jew can become godfather to Catholic children ).

This year with my chemo therapy which makes me immune suppressed, I can’t join them. And it would be too easy to eat too much given that I’m on a low sodium, diabetic diet.

The good news, for me at least, is that my neighbor’s husband is also on a sodium restricted diet so his wife avoids cooking with salt and lets people added salt afterwards.

On Christmas Eve they brought over a plate with carefully controlled portions of pozole, turkey enchiladas, rice, beans, and a nice fruit salad.

And on Christmas, they brought over another plate with small portions of ham and turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, and a small baked yam.

All the food was fantastic, and while I couldn’t sit down with them, it gave me a good feeling to share in their Christmas celebrations.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Re the Santa thing... We grew up with the Santa myth, always hung stockings. But Mom was smart. Stockings were for a small things, like a coloring book or a bubble bath or something cute. Plus a bit of candy, such as a dozen Kisses. Big gifts were always from Mom & Dad, never Santa.

There were 19 of us together for Christmas this year and we all hung stockings at the AirBnB that my siblings stayed at. One sister put small candies in each stocking. Another sister bought snuggly socks for each person. I have cool siblings :lovestruck: .
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

vic wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:36 pm
I usually spend Christmas with my next-door neighbors, who I’ve known since 1968 - almost 12 years before I bought this house and became their neighbor.
All the food was fantastic, and while I couldn’t sit down with them, it gave me a good feeling to share in their Christmas celebrations.
How nice for you to have such great neighbors. Glad you were able to enjoy some of the holidays. Sending good thoughts for your medical issues. :bighug:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

vic wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:36 pm
I usually spend Christmas with my next-door neighbors, who I’ve known since 1968 - almost 12 years before I bought this house and became their neighbor. Two of their sons are my god-children ( yes, a Jew can become godfather to Catholic children ).
Shhhh ... Santa is your neighbor.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:12 pm
Bill_G wrote:

I'm always looking for a good recipe for scalloped taters... if you haz one you can message it to me and I'll trade you a family secret recipe for CCBBs.. Choclate chip blond brownies... :dance:
You may have it as a gift. Basic scalloped potatoes is just potatoes baked slowly in milk until it's a solid, congealed mass. Perfect crock pot dish. Never ever ever stir it. Anything else is personal preference, but it's where the adventure comes in. Shallow pans cook quicker than deep ones. And potatoe variety does effect the flavor depending on the starchiness.

Mrs prefers skin off. I prefer skin on. Mrs prefers thin, even coins. I prefer coursely chunked pieces. Mrs prefers 2% milk. I want some cream. She cheats with a roux to thicken it. I let the potatoe starch speak for itself. We both like onions in it, though she prefers sauted, and I like chopped bits. I'll toss in leeks and parsley, or even cheese, or meat bits, or fennel. She eschews anything but salt and pepper. She prefers russet potatoes. I like red and gold mixed together. She slices and soaks hers overnight in a vat of water. I cut and go, with a simple rinse.

And (double bonus freebie here) you can cheat by using frozen hash browns. They might be called shredded potatoes, or rashers in the UK. Give a couple pounds of them a thaw, place in a cheese cloth, squeeze out the water, and then soak them in milk. Beat in an egg or two to help thicken it up. Add your favorite bits - S&P, cheese, bacon, brocolli or cabbage bits, etc. Bake until firm and brown in a medium oven (275-325F).

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Bill_G wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:15 am
MsDaisy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:12 pm
Bill_G wrote:

You may have it as a gift.
:snippity:
Thanks! :bighug:

And since CCBBs are a secret family recipe, I'll put it in here so only the Fogbow family can see it.

CCBBs (Chocolate Chip Blond Brownies)

2 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp soda
1 tsp salt

Sift together and add 1 cup chopped walnuts, set aside

Melt 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine and add 2 cups (1 16oz box) light brown sugar. Add 2 tblsp hot tap water and let cool.

In a separate bowl beat 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla together and add to the butter & brown sugar mix.

Add the flour mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 baking pan. Sprinkle the top with a 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Bake 40-45 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.

Tip:
They must be completely cool before cutting, even put in the fridge for a bit so the chocolate chips cool and set back up. Trying to cut them before that is very messy no matter how good they smell.
Birfers are toast

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

neonzx wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:03 am
MsDaisy wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:29 am
Happy holidays to everyone! We went out for Christmas Eve breakfast w/step-daughter and her husband and this was the Christmas special.

:shock:

When I asked if that was a real special she said yes, she'd already served 3 orders!

:swoon:
Good grief. That would put me into a diabetic coma. Who thinks that makes a 'meal'? :sick:
I have a physical today and just reading the special may cause my blood sugar level to spike.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

MsDaisy wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:33 am
Thanks! :bighug:
You are quite welcome, and thank you!

Here are some secret mystery flavor ingredients for any potatoe recipe that will get you accolades at the dinner table: parsnips, or rutabagas, or turnips. OR, not AND. And in small amounts like a quarter cup of diced white turnips for a pound of potatoes. An exceedingly small amount will add a background flavor that will pop in your guests mouth. They are difficult to find olde worlde vegetables these days, and you'll be throwing away most of it to season just one meal, but that's what composting is all about. (wink)

A stew, scalloped potatoes, and even twice baked potatoes benefit from the flavor bump. Parsnips add a sweetness that some may recognize, and most people appreciate. Potatoe pancakes and scalloped potatoes are naturals for parsnips. Turnips and rutabagas add a tongue edge flavor best described as dark with rutabagas more pronounced than turnips. I love a beef stew with a bit of rutabaga. It changes the flavor spectrum entirely from a plain old meat and gravy dish to something brand new. It the kind of night and day difference that wine adds to a recipe, but people can't quite put their finger on what it is.

So, good luck with your scalloped potatoe experiments.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

I know I'm a bit late but this is guaranteed to become a Christmas classic

Jim

Post by Jim »

I was debating whether to start a "War on Christmas" thread, but thought I'd throw in here instead...

2 NC towns cancel Christmas parades after threat of anti-Confederate protests
The Wake Forest Downtown Inc. Board of Directors, the nonprofit organizing the parade, voted Wednesday to cancel the parade due to “potential for violence,” the release said. This would have been the 72nd year of the parade.

The decision comes a week after the town of Garner canceled its Christmas parade, citing similar concerns. Garner had plans to include a float sponsored by a chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans but said social media chatter led them to believe “the event could be targeted for disruption,” The News & Observer reported.

In Wake Forest, the town said it supported WFD’s decision after police reported receiving information from “growing numbers of outside groups” who planned to attend to support or oppose the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy, according to a press release from Wake Forest.

Wake Forest Police Chief Jeff Leonard said only one group had told the town of its intent to protest, but he said there could be others, according to the news release. Town spokesman Bill Crabtree added that the number of protesters possibly coming together created the potential of violence.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

When I ran the State Fair booth of the NCDP the past two years, the Sons of Confederate Veterans' booth was about 10 meters from my booth. Nobody protested against them, nobody hassled them, and they were peaceful and non-threatening. I did bring three American flags to decorate my booth, so they'd have a real flag to look at, but the only way they bothered anyone was by putting Confederate flag stickers on passersby.

What I'm saying is, I disapprove of violent protest against them.

Now, a "Vote for Trump 2020" float would be a different story ... :madguy:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Oh yeah, since this is the Christmas thread, note that the tree in my "early Christmas season" avatar has no ornaments, although I am holding an ornament in preparation for placing it on the tree. As the day draws nearer, I have avatars with more ornaments already placed on the tree.

I got a lot of Foggy avatars. :blink:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm
When I ran the State Fair booth of the NCDP the past two years, the Sons of Confederate Veterans' booth was about 10 meters from my booth. Nobody protested against them, nobody hassled them, and they were peaceful and non-threatening. I did bring three American flags to decorate my booth, so they'd have a real flag to look at, but the only way they bothered anyone was by putting Confederate flag stickers on passersby.

What I'm saying is, I disapprove of violent protest against them.

Now, a "Vote for Trump 2020" float would be a different story ... :madguy:
My father and brother are rather into their SCV memberships. My brother is also a member here (although he hasn't posted), and one of these days I'm hoping he and Loren can have a good discussion about the motives behind the civil war :-D

Return to “The Lounge”