Sterngard Friegen

Re: Awesome Photographs and Stuff

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks, Volky.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:31 rolls of film from a WW2 soldier are discovered and processed.
Over 70 years ago, an American WW2 soldier filled 31 rolls of film with pictures. Nobody has seen them before -- until at 5:49...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHwNH7iHsE

Also http://www.rescuedfilm.com/
Youtube not working and I can't find the photos in the link. Any other way to look at them?
Stern, I think the clip above was a copy to Youtube from the original website at http://www.rescuedfilm.com/the-wwii-soldier , check this link

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:51 pm

"The Peeples Uprising"

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Residents view the first iceberg of the season as it passes the South Shore, also known as "Iceberg Alley", near Ferryland Newfoundland, Canada April 16, 2017. REUTERS/Jody Marti

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 pm

The Atlantic Citylab (more photos)

What Pittsburgh Looked Like When It Decided It Had a Pollution Problem

"Corner of Liberty and Fifth Avenues 10:55 AM" 1940

¡Sterngard! come home.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Addie wrote:The Atlantic Citylab (more photos)

What Pittsburgh Looked Like When It Decided It Had a Pollution Problem

"Corner of Liberty and Fifth Avenues 10:55 AM" 1940
Someone posted a story about a coal miner, 39, who is dying from black lung and is trying to get a double lung transplant. If he does, he says he will try to go back to work. I don't think he realizes that a double lung transplant will extend his life (for a time — in the one case I know of, it was a little over a year), but isn't going to make him healthy enough to work, even if successful. How do you answer that level of denial?

MRich

Post by MRich » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:56 pm

pipistrelle wrote: Someone posted a story about a coal miner, 39, who is dying from black lung and is trying to get a double lung transplant. If he does, he says he will try to go back to work. I don't think he realizes that a double lung transplant will extend his life (for a time — in the one case I know of, it was a little over a year), but isn't going to make him healthy enough to work, even if successful. How do you answer that level of denial?
One of my former bosses had a heart-lung transplant, and it extended his life by several years, but he never came back to work , and that was an office job.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:11 pm

This species is one of three species in North America that synchronize their flashes. This is in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park near Gatlinburg.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:28 pm

DCist
Abandoned States: Places In Idyllic 1960s Postcards Have Transformed Into Scenes Of Abandonment ...

Grossinger's outdoor pool, olympic sized, built in 1949 at a cost of $400,000 (about $5 million in today's market.) Long gone are the private cabanas, changing room and lounges that used to surround it. (Photograph by Pablo Iglesias Maurer, postcard published by Bill Bard Associates)

After a fire destroyed the main building at this resort in the Poconos, a replacement went up in the early 70's. It is a truly striking sight, a modernist spaceship tucked away deep in the woods. (Photograph by Pablo Iglesias Maurer, postcard by Kardmasters)

¡Sterngard! come home.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I love looking at photos of abandoned or creepy places. I have them on my FB newsfeed. I've even been to some.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:37 pm

My daughter has gone urban exploring all over the world, and the closest she's gotten to being arrested was less than a mile from our house.

Apparently, their go-to response for being caught trespassing by the cops in foreign countries is to simply start screaming random English words at them. It's worked so far.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm

You can get away with a lot by playing the dumb American card overseas. Works every time.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:27 pm

maydijo wrote:You can get away with a lot by playing the dumb American card overseas. Works every time.
Just Americans living up to expectations overseas.

We are heading out of the country at the end of next week I'm curious to see the reaction we get now.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Wear something apologetic, Andy. Like t-shirt with a picture of an orange (shit)gibbon.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:55 pm

In Australia, at least, the attitude towards foreigners is influenced less by what is happening overseas, and more by what is happening domestically. Tony Abbott was bigly anti-immigrant (although he was an immigrant himself) and he really empowered and gave a voice to the xenophobes. Even people I'd known for years and considered friends became complete bitches. Now that he's gone the rhetoric has calmed down and I don't hear as much anti-furrener stuff, although my mother in law still delights in telling me that all the durty immigants get money thrown at them all the time (to which I reply, "Really? Where's mine then?") (Seriously, considering three out of her four children married immigrants, her in-laws were immigrants, and the fourth child married a man whose parents were immigrants, she sure is outspoken about hating immigrants. Hmmm, maybe I should start taking it personally?)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:34 pm

kate520 wrote:Wear something apologetic, Andy. Like t-shirt with a picture of an orange (shit)gibbon.
Wearing a t-shirt in Europe (and probably lots of other places) tends to brand you as an American. I have a little moose key ring from Norway with a Norwegian flag on it. Maybe I'll just try to slip under the radar. Unfortunately, I'll probably be surrounded by some truly ugly Americans. I'll just try not to have them rub off on me.

We were in Iceland last year on a small group tour. Jimmy Carter's name came up and a man on the bus couldn't resist asking the tour guide if they wanted him. The tour guide looked at him as if he had grown a third eye in the middle of his forehead. He was clueless. And I've seen my share of clueless Americans while traveling abroad.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Off Topic
Stereotype warning: Some Americans overseas are just the funniest. I usually tell American tourists I'm Australian and then they leave me alone because your typical American overseas really only wants to associate with other Americans, and if they work out I'm American they can sometimes get really clingy. It's really not hard either because they very rarely pick up on my American accent, which is quite noticeable to most Australians, probably because it's a one-word answer: "Where are you from?" "Australia," and then they simply walk away. I've had Americans in Australia YELL and talk v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y at me until I tell them I'm American, and then suddenly I'm their best friend. But it's like, We speak the same language, doofus. Some Americans overseas are also soooo judgemental. One of the first things they ask is "What state are you from?" and if it's a cool state, they want to hang around with you, but if it's not a cool state, they just ignore you. So if you don't want to hang around with other Americans but you don't want to pretend to be Australian* just tell them you're from Nebraska and they'll leave you alone. It's really funny, because Americans in the US are almost always nice, friendly, charming people; but give them a passport and a plane ticket and some of them just turn into freaks. Present company excluded, of course! I'm sure none of my fellow Fogbowers are like that!

*(Which really is just as bad, especially in Hawaii or the UK or SE Asia where Australians have a reputation as hard-drinking bogans. In SE Asia I always tell the locals I'm American.)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:43 am

Off Topic
I try to be invisible when traveling, but that usually just results in Americans asking me for directions. :lol:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Not Jekyll Island, Georgia.
driftwood.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

tek

Post by tek » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:33 am

daughter.tek's backyard yesterday evening
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 am

tek wrote:daughter.tek's backyard yesterday evening
She located the gold pot :?:

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am

Lovely picture.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 am

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am

special instructions: unorthodox way to build a website - keep scrolling down the webpage

RETHINKING
GUERNICA

Pablo Picasso

http://guernica.museoreinasofia.es/en#introduccion

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 am
special instructions: unorthodox way to build a website - keep scrolling down the webpage

RETHINKING
GUERNICA

Pablo Picasso

http://guernica.museoreinasofia.es/en#introduccion

This is really cool. I went through what I guess is sort of the "introduction" and bookmarked it to look at it tonight when I have time to spend going through it. Thanks for posting this, it is really interesting and quite an impressive presentation as far as website design.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”