At The Movies, comments and reviews

Foggy

Re: At The Movies, comments and reviews

Post by Foggy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:39 am

I bought the book first.

OK, I bought the book of short stories that contains the short story upon which Arrival is based. I thought the short story was awful.

But I'm seeing a lot of good reviews. :think:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Arrival was awesome! I'm going to see it again next weekend with a friend.

Has anyone seen this movie yet?
Otto Bell was surfing the web at work when he saw the photographs that enticed him to sink his life savings into his first feature film. On his screen was a rosy-cheeked, Mongolian girl. Perched on a mountain ridge, she was smiling with delight at a ferocious golden eagle flapping on her arm.

The scene was a world away from the office cubicle in New York where Bell was sitting. The shots were taken in the Altai mountains which, Bell points out, “is the most remote part of the least-populated country in the world”. The 35-year-old had no financing and had only ever made short, commercially funded documentaries. Yet in a “pretty short time”, he had tracked down the young Israeli photographer Asher Svidensky, convinced an American cameraman to accompany them, and was on a flight to Mongolia to track down the teenager.

The result is a joyful, majestic film – a documentary (narrated by Star Wars’ Daisy Ridley) that feels like a fairytale as it follows 13-year-old Aisholpan’s quest to become a record-breaking eagle hunter. Amongst her nomadic Kazakh community, the tradition of capturing and training young golden eagles to hunt foxes and rabbits is passed down from father to son. And to achieve her dreams, Aisholpan must overcome the scathing elders, who insist that a woman cannot, and should not, hunt.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/d ... -otto-bell
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Saw 'Rogue One' - what the 3 prequel movies should have been.
► Show Spoiler
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Also saw Moana. Excellent for what it was. Grandkids loved it.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:06 pm

SueDB wrote:Saw 'Rogue One' - what the 3 prequel movies should have been.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Awww. :cry: Carrie Fisher had a heart attack on a plane returning from London. She's in a hospital in LA right now. Happened about 2 hours ago.

Sending good thoughts, Princess. May the Force be with you.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:54 pm

SueDB wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Yeah he should have sucked, not blown.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Just saw Rogue One with son and grandkids. I think it is a better movie than the original and not just technically. The acting is better. The characters are more interesting. (I did miss the Wookiee, however.).

Variety probably goes too far to say that it is an allegory for the age of Trump.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:52 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Just saw Rogue One with son and grandkids. I think it is a better movie than the original and not just technically. The acting is better. The characters are more interesting. (I did miss the Wookiee, however.).

Variety probably goes too far to say that it is an allegory for the age of Trump.
It was kinda kewl how they
► Show Spoiler
Off Topic
(hang in there Princess Leia....may the force be with you along with the power of a good defibrillator).
CGI can work "miracles".

Well the movie was done quite a bit before our country's November disgusting debacle. I always thought that the Empire reminded me of Richard M. (Don't change dicks in the middle of a screw, vote Nixon in '72) Nixon.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Did you catch the cameo by Dr. Cornelius Evazan?

"Watch yourself!"

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:02 pm

I saw Rogue One. Didn't like it that much. And I thought the CGI at the end looked very fake. (More detail in spoiler. Don't look if you haven't seen it.)
► Show Spoiler
I also saw Nocturnal Animals which I thought was spectacular. And Allied was a lot of fun.

I think Arrival will get some Academy Awards.

Amy Adams will be nominated. Hard to say, though, for which film. Jake Gyllenhaal should be nominated for Nocturnal Animals. I'd like to see Alden Ehrenreich nominated, too (Hail Caesar), because I represent his Mom and Step Dad.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:I saw Rogue One. Didn't like it that much. And I thought the CGI at the end looked very fake. (More detail in spoiler. Don't look if you haven't seen it.)
► Show Spoiler
I also saw Nocturnal Animals which I thought was spectacular. And Allied was a lot of fun.

I think Arrival will get some Academy Awards.

Amy Adams will be nominated. Hard to say, though, for which film. Jake Gyllenhaal should be nominated for Nocturnal Animals. I'd like to see Alden Ehrenreich nominated, too (Hail Caesar), because I represent his Mom and Step Dad.
► Show Spoiler

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:12 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Just saw Rogue One with son and grandkids. I think it is a better movie than the original and not just technically. The acting is better. The characters are more interesting. (I did miss the Wookiee, however.).

Yes, in the seminal movies the acting was sometimes crummy and some characters were weak or silly. But I contend that, while those flaws can be forgiven based on the overall effect, whoever wrote the dialog should have been encased in carbonite. Seriously, I often wanted to throw things at the screen and cover my ears. The oafish, blockheaded, amateur-sounding writing ruined many scenes for me that might have been wonderful otherwise.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Did anyone else notice the quintessential Disney touch to Rogue One?

The first person to die was the mom.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:57 am

I saw Carrie Fisher in a British comedy quiz show last night. She said that she hates looking at the old movies becasue, apparently, she has gotten a lot older since then. :lovestruck:
RoadScholar wrote:

Yes, in the seminal movies the acting was sometimes crummy and some characters were weak or silly. But I contend that, while those flaws can be forgiven based on the overall effect, whoever wrote the dialog should have been encased in carbonite. Seriously, I often wanted to throw things at the screen and cover my ears. The oafish, blockheaded, amateur-sounding writing ruined many scenes for me that might have been wonderful otherwise.
Yeah. one of the stories is that Lucas wrote the dialouge and then his wife too the script and completely rewrote it so that it didn't completly suck monkey ass, over the strong objections of the Lucasego for wrecking his vision. That's why she was given rights to half the Star wars profits for 20 years in their divorce.

And that's why he didn't make a star wars movie for 20 years. Lucas was a fat hack who was very lucky that was very lucky he had people around him back then that were able to tell him fuck no. [/bitter ex fan rant]

And yeah. I'm one of the few that saw the Phantom Menace, and then didn't pay out money for the rest of the shite hoping that they would somehow get better.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:30 am

Just got back from watching "A Monster Calls." It is an extraordinary film (despite a shitty review on the Atlantic website).

I commend it to all. I hope it gets nominated for Best Picture, Director, Screenwriter. The young teen who plays the lead, Lewis MacDougall, is incredibly good. Too bad he won't get a nomination. It looks like Denzell Washington and Casey Affleck will be sparring it out in two rather dreary movies where the main character comes into the film an asshole, and at the end of each film is utterly unchanged.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:14 pm

I gave Rogue One three mehs. Very unrealistic, crappy film. I liked The Force Awakens way better. :thumbsdown:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Hidden Figures is a great feel-good film. I commend it.

I also liked Arrival, Nocturnal Animals and Hell or High Water. Three engaging films that delivered.

Rules Don't Apply got better but was still a slog to get through. As was Girl on a Train, whose last 5 minutes was terrific.

I was disappointed by Manchester by the Sea, which began dreary and just got drearier.

Fences was all but unwatchable. I was surprised at how disjointed and average Sully was.

The Dressmaker is a waste of time and electrons.

Passengers is visually stunning and should win for special effects.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:34 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Hidden Figures ... Arrival ... Nocturnal Animals ... Hell or High Water ... Rules Don't Apply ... Girl on a Train ... Manchester by the Sea ... Fences ...The Dressmaker ... Passengers.
Of those 10 movies, only Passengers and Fences are showing at my local nearby theater. A theater farther away is also showing Hidden Figures.

I live in a cultural wasteland. :madguy:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Lion is a spectacular film. About a 5 year old boy who gets lost on a train and winds up almost 1000 miles away in Calcutta. Speaking a different language in a country where 80,000 children a year come to live on the streets, he cannot find his home and gets adopted by a wonderful Australian couple, growing up in Tasmania. Longing to be reunited with his family, he uses Google Maps and does so -- 25 years later!

The acting is amazing, especially the little boy playing the lost 5 year old.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:44 am

Rogue One. Liked the story, didn't like the movie. Fell asleep twice.

I hold grudges against movies that start out so dark you can't tell what's happening in the screen.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm

I watched Miss Sloane last night.

Nonsensical trash. I only kept watching to see how big the train wreck was and what the surprise ending was. (It was a big train wreck and the surprise was dumb and ridiculous.)

I am going to put under the spoiler tag two ridiculous things that bothered me in addition to the entire plot. Needless to say, my disbelief was never suspended.
► Show Spoiler
One star -- but only because Jessica Chastain is a nice person.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 am

So 15 to 20 Vietnam era helicopters are mapping an uncharted island in the South Pacific when they suddenly see Kong, who is now 200 feet tall, much bigger than that punk in the 1933 classic.

One of the pilots, in a tribute to the intelligence of helicopter pilots everywhere, looks out his windshield and says, "Is that a monkey?" :roll:

... and in 5 minutes, Kong makes ALL the helicopters crash. He throws a palm tree at one. He grabs others. He throws a wrecked helicopter at one that is still flying. He ducks and two collide.

Not one of them decides to fly high enough to avoid disaster. Helicopters can fly higher than a 200-foot monkey can reach, yesno? :think: Nobody has the brains to suggest that they should return to their ship and get more firepower called in. Not one helicopter falls back to stay out of reach of the monkey.

About 15 people survive the helicopter crashes, and there's your movie. A handful of them live to the end of the story, and once again, the monkey falls for the pretty girly. (Actually, there are two pretty girlies, but the Asian lady is only there for "diversity". The monkey falls for the white girly with the big boobs.)

After four days without a shower or a change of clothing in a steamy tropical wilderness, the pretty girly is getting mighty smelly. At the end, the smelly girly gets exploded off a mountain and plummets hundreds of feet down to the ocean, whereupon she drifts down, horribly injured and totally unconscious (but maybe not quite as smelly in the salt water), more than fifty feet below the surface.

Kong grabs her, but he has to hold her in one hand while he fights the super-duper lizard monster and finishes it off. Then he puts her down on a rock, but she's still - you would think - horribly injured and totally unconscious, possibly even drownded, having been exploded, falling hundreds of feet onto the surface of the ocean, and drifting for minutes under the water. The cute hero with the British accent just barely touches her, and suddenly she wakes up completely uninjured (but she had a bad scare and needs a hug).

The British dude, being both a special forces tough guy and a perfect gentleman, politely allows her to hug him without mentioning how smelly she is. Which is nice. :roll:

Dumbest. Kong. Movie. EVAR.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:21 am

Horsey Movie Critic Review - Foggy gets 5, count 'em, 5 horseshoes for the bestest movie review EVAR!!!!!!

*The Horsey Movie Critic awards up to 5 horsehoes for good reviews and up to 5 piles of manure for shitty reviews.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Tonight we went with a bunch of friends to the movies and saw a movie I’d never heard of, “Get Out”. Now that may be because I don’t have TV and live in BFV Bum Fuck Virginia When I heard the name of the movie I did my quick little search… “White girl brings home black boyfriend”. Yep, could be funny I thought envisioning a comedy. I looked no further, and if you haven’t looked either DON’T LOOK NOW, just go see it. O…M…G… Even MrDaisy was blown away and that says a lot for a movie, and he didn’t look at all! Incredibly well done! Suspense level superbly held throughout the entire movie. Never a dull moment, seriously, go see it, especially if you are a fan of suspense!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Birfers are toast

Return to “The Lounge”