Re: At The Movies, comments and reviews

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:18 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:15 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 pm
I just got back from The Last Jedi (all hail the midweek $6.50 matinee while school's still in session!) and I loved it too, also.

I especially liked when they revealed that
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
That’s right! :rotflmao:

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:52 am

I think this article explains my mixed feelings about TLJ. The Last Jedi Killed My Childhood, and That's Exactly Why It's Great DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS. https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-jedi-k ... 1821429836

I'm older than the author, but share some of his feelings. I first saw Star Wars with a group of friends in WDC. All young adults, politically active, healthy, convinced we'd change the world for the better. Which each new release, we'd gather again. A lot changed in our lives. By the last film, most of us had buried a parent. Several had fled WDC to regional Federal offices to avoid Reagan's hatching of employees. I don't think anyone was still with the partner they had for the first film. So when we met up for one last time, we hugged and cried. And soon after all of us had scattered around the country.

I introduced my little boy to Star Wars when the films were re-released. A whole new tradition began as we attended one first showing after another. And now with the final three underway, I again acutely feel the passing of time, but also the handing over of hope to new generation - politically active, big dreams, determined to change the world for the better. As we settled in for The Last Jedi, he turned to me and said "I'm glad together". Me, too.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:32 pm

THE POST

I just watched The Post. A spectacular film. Hanks, Streep, Spielberg will all get Academy Award nominations, plus it will get a Best Picture nomination.

It's a timely film, a stirring defense of the First Amendment and newspapers -- including of course the Washington Post -- and a rebuke against Trump, his enablers and Fox "News."

During the time period in the movie I was working on legal actions against the war in Viet Nam. When the first two instalments of the Pentagon Papers came out in The New York Times, they were devastating. Neil Sheehan had been poring over the Pentagon Papers for 3 months, and had clearly gotten the best parts on the illegitimacy and unwinnable nature of the war. My colleagues and I also thought that since the Papers were stolen, if The New York Times lost it would at least establish a bright line on what could and couldn't be published. So we didn't have the same concern portrayed in the movie. But the opinion in the Pentagon Papers case was a strong defense of the First Amendment, much stronger than we could have expected for stolen, classified documents.

I won't spoil the ending, which has a little surprise in it. But overall a great film. And Meryl Streep was once again incredible.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm

I am eager to hear what any of you who are better versed than I on WWII history (which would not be difficult) think of Darkest Hour.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:05 am

Well, the actress who plays Clemmie should get an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. (Meryl Streep is getting Best Actress.)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Finally saw "The Stone of Destiny". This 2008 film is about the 1950 theft of the 336 lb Stone of Scone that then was fitted under the Edward I coronation chair in Westminster Abby. The movie follows the facts quite closely and one of the thieves has a cameo.

The four thieves, students at the University of Glasgow, managed to steal the stone and return it to Scotland from where it had been stolen by Edward I about 700 years earlier. After 3 1/2 months they left it at the abbey ruins in Arbroath (where Mrs. V's ancestors are buried) from where the authorities retrieved it. The four thieves were charged but never tried. In 1996 the stone was officially returned to Scotland and now is on display at Edinburgh Castle.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 am

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/late- ... movie.html
Seth Meyers’ Newspaper-Movie Parody, Aptly Titled Newspaper Movie, Goes All the Way to the Top

Do you like watching middle-aged white people typing for two hours? Do you enjoy men in bad ties and short-sleeved colored shirts? Do you thrill to the word sources? And do you just love long overly dramatic pauses while waiting for an editor to make a call?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then this is the nonexistent movie for you. Seth Meyers and his team of intrepid reporters have put together a trailer for what might just be the most comprehensive parody of the classic award-winning-movies-set-in-newsrooms-specifically-at-newspapers genre ever: Newspaper Movie. This one, unsurprisingly, goes straight to the top.

Video at link. HYSTERICAL!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

vic

Post by vic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 am
https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/late- ... movie.html
Seth Meyers’ Newspaper-Movie Parody, Aptly Titled Newspaper Movie, Goes All the Way to the Top

Do you like watching middle-aged white people typing for two hours? Do you enjoy men in bad ties and short-sleeved colored shirts? Do you thrill to the word sources? And do you just love long overly dramatic pauses while waiting for an editor to make a call?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then this is the nonexistent movie for you. Seth Meyers and his team of intrepid reporters have put together a trailer for what might just be the most comprehensive parody of the classic award-winning-movies-set-in-newsrooms-specifically-at-newspapers genre ever: Newspaper Movie. This one, unsurprisingly, goes straight to the top.

Video at link. HYSTERICAL!
A number of my FaceBook friends are folks I worked with at the L A Times, and I also belong to a couple of groups for current/former employees. Not only are just about all of those friends sharing it, but a frequent comment is along the lines of "I recognize almost all of those stereotypes".
Edit: can't have a newspaper-related post with bad subject-verb agreement

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm

vic wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:44 pm
A number of my FaceBook friends are folks I worked with at the L A Times, and I also belong to a couple of groups for current/former employees. Not only are just about all of those friends sharing it, but a frequent comment is along the lines of "I recognize almost all of those stereotypes".
Edit: can't have a newspaper-related post with bad subject-verb agreement
Off Topic
I enjoy the LA Times. Good writing.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 pm

DH and I have a very long tradition of watching all the films nominated for Best Picture. We've done this ever since we met. We still have Phantom Thread and Call Me By Your Name to go this year, but so far my favourite has got to be Get Out! It's brilliant and side-splittingly funny, clever, and original. Usually with movies there's always that part of you that thinks, "I've seen this before." Get Out! has rightly been described as a cross between Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? and the Stepford Wives, but it is really unlike anything you have ever seen.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm
I am eager to hear what any of you who are better versed than I on WWII history (which would not be difficult) think of Darkest Hour.
It's maybe just short of a full film, though none the worse for it. There are some extremely effective moments, and Gary Oldman is extraordinarily good throughout.

The film does take a few historical liberties, but that's been the way with dramatizations since the days of the Greek amphitheater. If you want a documentary, go watch one - but you'll miss Gary Oldman.

One nice extra perk is that Darkest Hour is basically the prelude to Dunkirk, so if you saw the Nolan film and you really wanted some extra context for why all those soldiers were stuck on a beach and how exactly the plan came together to send a bunch of pleasure craft out to fetch them, the two films make a nice double feature. That part of the war tends to be a bit of a blur for Americans since it happened before we cared two beans about what was going on in Europe.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 pm

With Darkest Hour, I just kept wishing someone had told the lighting department that wasn't an instruction to them. Seriously, it was more like the darkest two hours!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 pm
DH and I have a very long tradition of watching all the films nominated for Best Picture. We've done this ever since we met. We still have Phantom Thread and Call Me By Your Name to go this year, but so far my favourite has got to be Get Out! It's brilliant and side-splittingly funny, clever, and original. Usually with movies there's always that part of you that thinks, "I've seen this before." Get Out! has rightly been described as a cross between Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? and the Stepford Wives, but it is really unlike anything you have ever seen.
That's a good description of Get Out! I enjoyed it and thought it was a quirky little film. I was surprised at the Oscar nomination.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:05 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm
To form your own opinion I suggest reading Boris Johnson's "The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History," and although I read it a couple of years ago and should probably read it again to refresh my memory before offering this opinion, I would have to say I found the movie's depiction of events and Oldman, compelling.

There are many singular events and moments in WWII that could have put us onto a different path, one where we could never have been what we are today. Churchill was paramount in any number of them, especially in the early years.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am

I watched Logan Lucky last night. It's a hillbilly heist film starring Magic Mike, Kylo Ren and the most recent James Bond. Just a quietly fun movie.

Image Image Image Image Image

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:36 am

I watched The Phantom Thread last night. I was expecting to love it and I did. Anderson is one of my favourite directors, and when he and Lewis get together it's pure magic. It wasn't at all what I was expecting; I did not expect it to be as subversive - I loved the way the film played with the idea of power within a relationship. This is one of those films I can't stop thinking about, and every time I do, I get a little thrill. And don't even get me started on the costumes.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

I just saw Black Panther for free at an AARP Movies for Grownups event. It was fabulous! I put it up there with The Fifth Element as a to be seen many times film.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am
I just saw Black Panther for free at an AARP Movies for Grownups event. It was fabulous! I put it up there with The Fifth Element as a to be seen many times film.
It has been years since we actually went to see a movie in a theater, but the hoopla and some nagging from the grandchildren got to us and we went to an early showing of Black Panther on the holiday.

The movie - great.

The experience - awful. Crowded and people would just not shut up. A fight nearly broke out because of the incessant chatter and the "shushing" going on in response. One of the worst offenders was finally evicted and she was obscenely bitching at the two employees all the way out of the theater. :madguy:

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

June bug

Post by June bug » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:44 pm

It has been years since we actually went to see a movie in a theater, but the hoopla and some nagging from the grandchildren got to us and we went to an early showing of Black Panther on the holiday.

The movie - great.

The experience - awful. Crowded and people would just not shut up. A fight nearly broke out because of the incessant chatter and the "shushing" going on in response. One of the worst offenders was finally evicted and she was obscenely bitching at the two employees all the way out of the theater. :madguy:
That woman was lucky no one was "packing"!

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

We haven't enjoyed going to the moves since we moved out of the city. People knew how to behave in the city cinemas. Here, they talk through foreign films ("What? There's subtitles, you don't need to hear what they're saying,"), they rattle their candy and popcorn packaging incessantly, they laugh at inappropriate places in art house movies - it's not worth the price of the tickets to be surrounded by classless neophytes.

(Yes, I might be a bit of a movie snob.)

vic

Post by vic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm

maydijo wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm
We haven't enjoyed going to the moves since we moved out of the city. People knew how to behave in the city cinemas. Here, they talk through foreign films ("What? There's subtitles, you don't need to hear what they're saying,"), they rattle their candy and popcorn packaging incessantly, they laugh at inappropriate places in art house movies - it's not worth the price of the tickets to be surrounded by classless neophytes.

(Yes, I might be a bit of a movie snob.)
Off Topic
Re laughing at inappropriate places:

When I was working in Helsinki, I went with a co-worker and a couple of Finnish friends to see A Star is Born. It was shown in English with Finnish and Swedish subtitles. I'd start laughing before the audience managed to finish reading the subtitles, and received a number of angry looks as a result. After it happened a couple of times, I had to stifle any urge to laugh.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Off Topic
Laughing can often be culturally specific. Americans and Australians laugh at different parts of Crocodile Dundee for instance, and there are some jokes in Australian comedies that work for an Australian audience but not an American audience. But I'm talking about people laughing in an art house film when two men kiss, that sort of thing - a nervous laughter of having to confront something they'd never seen before, when they know going into the film that it's a gay love story. That's the sort of stuff that drives me crazy and ruins movies for me.

vic

Post by vic » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm

That’s what I assumed regarding your post, which was one reason why I posted mine as off-topic. In my situation, my laughter was based on the dialog, and the audience would Laura couple of seconds later. I was inappropriate in the sense of not giving the audience a chance to read the subtitles.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 pm

I saw THE SHAPE OF WATER. It's sort of a morbid version of Disney's SPLASH - without Tom Hanks or Daryl Hannah but with the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Sally Hawkins plays a cleaning woman in a secret govt lab who realizes that a remarkable underwater humanoid, a sort of merman, has been captured by a (sadistic) commando-type and is being confined in a swimming pool in an underground interrogation room. The movie is actually quite good - despite its rather obvious similarities to SPLASH, this is definitely not for kiddies. It has its comedic moments. I was attracted to the movie because the Sign Language is an important plot element.

The creature is played by the same guy who played a somewhat similar underwater humanoid in the two HELLBOY movies.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 pm
I saw THE SHAPE OF WATER. It's sort of a morbid version of Disney's SPLASH - without Tom Hanks or Daryl Hannah but with the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Sally Hawkins plays a cleaning woman in a secret govt lab who realizes that a remarkable underwater humanoid, a sort of merman, has been captured by a (sadistic) commando-type and is being confined in a swimming pool in an underground interrogation room. The movie is actually quite good - despite its rather obvious similarities to SPLASH, this is definitely not for kiddies. It has its comedic moments. I was attracted to the movie because the Sign Language is an important plot element.

The creature is played by the same guy who played a somewhat similar underwater humanoid in the two HELLBOY movies.
The actor playing the creature was interviewed on On Point this week.

http://www.wbur.org/npr/586291045/shape ... oom-breaks
'Shape Of Water' Actor Explains Makeup, Body Language And Bathroom Breaks
On how long it takes to get in and out of his creature suits

A head-to-toe transformation often you're looking at, yes, five hours is about right. The Fawn from Pan's Labyrinth, that was a five-hour makeup transformation. The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth, with my eyeballs in my hands — I did play that character as well — that was a six-hour transformation.

Shape of Water was much kinder and gentler — that was only three hours. But that's three hours on set when the makeup artists are applying the pieces to the actor. What happens beforehand is a huge share of the work. That would be all the sculpting, the molding, the running of pieces, the painting of those pieces ahead of time, so that the makeup artist on set can then blend the colors together with all the pieces that are now glued onto you.

So once you're done with that makeup process, you still are looking at a 10- to 12-hour shoot day, and then you're looking at a tear-down period. ... The Shape of Water, the amphibian man, was a quick one because it went on in only three hours, it was less glued down makeup and more suit, therefore it came off faster. So we got that off in about 40 minutes.

Return to “The Lounge”