At The Movies, comments and reviews

Penguin 0302

Post by Penguin 0302 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:59 am

:oops: In advance if this is a dupe thread. I'm surprised I couldn't find a movies thread, despite searching for one, I swear.I rarely go to the movies, maybe 2-3 times a year. Yesterday we went to see Life Of Pi.Visually stunning and my first 3D experience. Because of my eyesight issues, I was afraid the 3D would be more bothersome than anything else; not at all.With a few minor exceptions, the movie is surprisingly faithful to the book (which I recently re-read as a refresher).One caveat, despite its faithfulness, I was a bit disappointed by the portrayal of the final reveal though I suspected something when I noticed the G rating on the marquee. I expected a PG-13 at least. I read an article where Ang Lee mentions that the movie often came close to getting canned but survived only because of significant compromises on the budget. The fizzled finale is the only part where it shows, which is unfortunate because it has a heck of an impact in the book.Overall 2 thumbs up.Edited in for the Life of Pi audience, book and movie spoilers ahead:
► Show Spoiler

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 am

"Life of Pi" was said to be an unfilmable book, so it took Ang Lee to film it. I hope that it earns what it cost to produce, as I want to see Ang Lee take more risks. It is the sort of film that you think about for days afterwards.It is well worth insisting upon the 3D version. Unlike the 1950s films in which 3D was not only inferior but also unnecessary for the movies, "Life of Pi" works so well partly because it is in 3D.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

poutine

Post by poutine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

I saw Lincoln last night. It was beautifully done. A Constitution-lover's dream come true, and double that if you are a Lincoln lover too like me. Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant. I'm slightly troubled by the voice he adopted for this film, to be honest, but knowing how well-researched it was I know that Lewis was just going by contemporary descriptions of Lincoln's vocal attributes. It just seemed more high-pitched than it should be. My impression is that men as tall as Lincoln was normally have deeper voices, but maybe I'm wrong.

The principal selling point of the movie, though, is its accurate portrayal of Lincoln the human being, Lincoln the father, Lincoln the negotiator, and Lincoln the storyteller. It's the essence of his personality that I gather Spielberg wanted Americans to understand. Spielberg succeeded.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 am

Chris Hayes had a long segment on the Lincoln film including a one-on-one with Tony Kushner who was the screenwriter. He spoke at length about the process of adapting from Teams of Rivals.

[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_of_Rivals:_The_Political_Genius_of_Abraham_Lincoln]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_of_Ri ... am_Lincoln

Good background about the process.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 am

I saw Lincoln last night. It was beautifully done. A Constitution-lover's dream come true, and double that if you are a Lincoln lover too like me. Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant. I'm slightly troubled by the voice he adopted for this film, to be honest, but knowing how well-researched it was I know that Lewis was just going by contemporary descriptions of Lincoln's vocal attributes. It just seemed more high-pitched than it should be. My impression is that men as tall as Lincoln was normally have deeper voices, but maybe I'm wrong.

The principal selling point of the movie, though, is its accurate portrayal of Lincoln the human being, Lincoln the father, Lincoln the negotiator, and Lincoln the storyteller. It's the essence of his personality that I gather Spielberg wanted Americans to understand. Spielberg succeeded.Fun read about the movie ...

[tab=30]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... movie.html

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 am

It was a great movie that Lincoln. I especially liked seeing james spader as one of the consultants. I snickered a little when they said that Republicans were disorganized and never could vote together interesting change.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 pm

I've also heard that Lincoln had a high-pitched voice. We were taught about the Lincoln/Douglas debates when I was in grade school. As far as the content of those debates is concerned, I need to research that. You remember high school history, kimba. They taught us what and only glossed over why.In the mid-1800s there was no television. The contents of any debate was generally spread by means of newspapers. Newspapers do not convey the tone of the voice. Today's debates are televised and every newscaster in the world puts their own spin on it.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

poutine

Post by poutine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm

I've read a few Lincoln biographies (I even own Herndon's but haven't read it yet), and my comment that the movie portrays his personality accurately is based on those biographies, not on the fact that Spielberg used only a single historian (Goodwin) for the screenplay. Goodwin herself has probably read more Lincoln material than I have. I also presume that Lewis did his own independent research on how to portray Abe, just because that's the caliber of actor he is. The plot lines and whether they're all accurate or based on a book that itself is more pro-Hollywood than scholarly may be fair questions. I thought some of the dramatic and comic moments in the movie were very obviously Hollywood, rather than historical. But that didn't bother me. I was more fascinated simply by the portrayal of Lincoln, brought to life. Many points in the film hit on themes of his life that have been written about at length, such as the effect of the death of his son, his strained relationship with his own father, his sense of humor, and his impressive knowledge of military science that he essentially had to learn on the run (the movie only hit upon these various points without much depth, of course, but those are the limitations that come with a movie).

poutine

Post by poutine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Fun read about the movie ...[tab=30]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... htmlThanks for that, this article is on point and summarizes my own sentiments.I felt from the outset that various scenes were more Hollywood then history, including the opening scene he describes with the two black soldiers. I almost wanted to roll my eyes at that one. But again, what was still fascinating about that scene was Lincoln/Lewis's facial expressions, mannerisms, and his attitude toward these black soldiers he supposedly met. Lincoln himself did not know or become close to many black people prior to becoming president. But his commitment to viewing them as free citizens was a lifelong one. It's interesting to imagine what his face to face conversations with black people must have been like after he became President. And now, you can see a superb actor deliver one possible rendition of what it may have looked like.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:29 pm

I loved Lincoln. It's one of a very few movies I'd voluntarily watch more than once. I loved Daniel Day Lewis in the role, unpleasant voice and all. He humanized one of the great figures of American history wonderfully. And Tommy Lee Jones turned out to be the perfect choice for Thaddeus Stevens, and the perfect counterbalance to Lincoln. It was an exceptional performance.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:48 pm

We saw Lincoln. It was the least Speilbergian Speilberg movie I've ever seen. I think the voice kerfuffle is nuts. There must be at least wire recordings of his voice somewhere. DDL would not do it just...because Speilberg told him to.Skyfall cements Daniel Craig for me as the best Bond evar! And Javier Bardem as the sexiest (swoon) villain.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

poutine

Post by poutine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 pm

But, unfortunately, no recordings of Lincoln’s voice exist, since he died 12 years before Thomas Edison invented the phonograph, the first device to record and play back sound. If anyone had an educated guess as to how it sounded though, it would be Holzer, who has written 40 books on Lincoln and the Civil War. The author has pored over reports of Lincoln’s public appearances on speaking tours, eyewitness accounts told to Lincoln’s law partner William Herndon and newspaper commentaries about the Lincoln-Douglas debates, and, surprisingly, he says, one of the only things that can be said with certainty is that Lincoln was a tenor.“Lincoln’s voice, as far as period descriptions go, was a little shriller, a little higher,” says Holzer. It would be a mistake to say that his voice was squeaky though. “People said that his voice carried into crowds beautifully. Just because the tone was high doesn’t mean it wasn’t far-reaching,” he says.When Holzer was researching his 2004 book Lincoln at Cooper Union, he noticed an interesting consistency in the accounts of those who attended Lincoln’s speaking tour in February and March 1860. “They all seem to say, for the first ten minutes I couldn’t believe the way he looked, the way he sounded, his accent. But after ten minutes, the flash of his eyes, the ease of his presentation overcame all doubts, and I was enraptured,” says Holzer. “I am paraphrasing, but there is ten minutes of saying, what the heck is that, and then all of a sudden it’s the ideas that supersede whatever flaws there are.” Lincoln’s voice needed a little time to warm up, and Holzer refers to this ten-minute mark as the “magical moment when the voice fell into gear.”Read more: [/break1]smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ask-an-Expert-What-Did-Abraham-Lincolns-Voice-Sound-Like.html#ixzz2DGKAYykO]http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... z2DGKAYykO

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:15 pm

There must be at least wire recordings of his voice somewhere.Sadly not. No audio recording (or transmission) technology had been invented in Lincoln's lifetime. In the 1870s, Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray devised the telephone, and then Edison invented the phonograph cylinder in 1878. [/break1]recording-history.org/HTML/wire2.php]http://www.recording-history.org/HTML/wire2.php[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_recording_and_reproduction]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_reco ... productionIf Lincoln had not been assassinated and had lived his normal life span, we might have had a recording of him as an old man.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:33 pm

We saw Lincoln. It was the least Speilbergian Speilberg movie I've ever seen. I think the voice kerfuffle is nuts. There must be at least wire recordings of his voice somewhere. DDL would not do it just...because Speilberg told him to.Skyfall cements Daniel Craig for me as the best Bond evar! And Javier Bardem as the sexiest (swoon) villain.eeeeewwww! The blond hair only served to make him more creepy and repulsive. I agree he is a great villain, but sexy? Yuck. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smile ... gasted.gif

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Skyfall cements Daniel Craig for me as the best Bond evar! And Javier Bardem as the sexiest (swoon) villain.eeeeewwww! The blond hair only served to make him more creepy and repulsive. I agree he is a great villain, but sexy? Yuck. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smile ... ed.gifGeez, is that all girlz think about? :roll: [-( :-
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

poutine

Post by poutine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, especially since it was in his opening remarks at the Douglas debate at Charleston, I think, that he said he'd never said anything about Negroes being equal, wasn't looking for that to happen. Look, I'm sorry for pissing on the pop-tart of yall's entertainment. The thing is, I don't like the hyping of movies as being something more than entertainment, like they're for a higher purpose, when they're made to generate income for somebodies. I'm not a big movie-goer anyway and I'm usually disappointed by movies made from books if I've read the book. This is probably not the thread for me. \ :D /Your last sentence sounds right to me. ;) And in continued defense of the movie, it dealt squarely with this very issue, including the issue of whether compromising on true equality just for the sake of abolishing slavery was right or wrong.The issue of equality for blacks and whites is much debated when it comes to Lincoln individually. I firmly believe that he supported it, because his views were heavily influenced by his faith, and if God required him to view blacks as human beings, then the remaining analysis would be natural to him. But this is all complicated by the reality that he lived only until 1865, when society had not come to terms with the many detailed aspects of implementing true racial equality for blacks. Even if one can support the argument that he viewed blacks as entitled only to an inferior set of rights in 1865, there is one thing I am 100% confident of: his progressive views that were ahead of his time, his thoughtfulness, and his personal religious beliefs would have led him (1) to support the end of racial segregation in the 1960s, and (2) to rejoice at the thought of an African-American becoming elected president in 2008.

Penguin 0302

Post by Penguin 0302 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Skyfall cements Daniel Craig for me as the best Bond evar! And Javier Bardem as the sexiest (swoon) villain.eeeeewwww! The blond hair only served to make him more creepy and repulsive. I agree he is a great villain, but sexy? Yuck. http://www.millan.net/minimations/smile ... ed.gifGeez, is that all girlz think about? :roll: [-( :-It's the male equivalent of no brains and big tits. The little shit oozes in sex appeal.In No Country For Old Men, he also played a sociopath with really bad hair and still was swoonworthy.No one's come close since Alan Rickman.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm

We've been planning to go see Lincoln this evening and now I'm even more pumped. I was leery of the two and a half hour run-time but it doesn't sound like I will be bored.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Didn't get antsy even once and when it was over I was surprised.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

[link]From the Fourth Debate at Charleston, IL,http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/debate4.htm[/link] Lincoln's own words: While I was at the hotel to-day, an elderly gentleman called upon me to know whether I was really in favor of producing a perfect equality between the negroes and white people. [Great Laughter.] While I had not proposed to myself on this occasion to say much on that subject, yet as the question was asked me I thought I would occupy perhaps five minutes in saying something in regard to it. I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.Those are very hard words to eat, I would expect.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

poutine

Post by poutine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

We've been planning to go see Lincoln this evening and now I'm even more pumped. I was leery of the two and a half hour run-time but it doesn't sound like I will be bored.I saw it with my mom and my girlfriend, neither of whom are Lincoln nerds or even history nerds like me. They both loved it.

Return to “The Lounge”