What are you reading lately?

neeneko

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by neeneko » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm
J.K. Rowling is an excellent writer, and I highly recommend all 6 Harry Potter novels. But I wouldn't exactly call them "light," at least not in the sense of being humorous or light-hearted. They are dark fiction in many ways, with terrible things happening to good people. You have been warned! :mrgreen:
Heh, luckily I was thinking more of the writing rather than the darkness of the content. Been reading some dense, harder to follow authors lately.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Agree w/Fogster that the Harry Potter novels get darker and darker as time goes on. The final two novels are scary and violent. All leading to Rowlings' metamorphosis into an adult crime writer in the persona of Robert Galbraith. Galbraith has a new book coming out in the fall!

Meanwhile, I am about to begin "The President is Missing" by Bill Clinton and James Patterson. Have any of you read it?

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 pm

I read it. No great shakes, imo, but proficient as Patterson generally goes. You don't really get Clinton's "voice" until very late in the game. It would do as a beach read, though.
SuzieC wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm
Meanwhile, I am about to begin "The President is Missing" by Bill Clinton and James Patterson. Have any of you read it?

¡Sterngard! come home.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks Addie! I knew I could count on you. A beach read is what I need in between intensive campaigning for Danny O'Connor in OH-12.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Good for you, SuzieC :cheer1:
SuzieC wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm
... intensive campaigning for Danny O'Connor in OH-12.

¡Sterngard! come home.

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Oh yeah. Will post an exciting update soon I hope.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 pm

kate520 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm
kate520 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Me, too.
Anything in particular that rang your alarm bells?
It’s been a while, Sugar, but what I remember is...
I lived in Appalachia for a few years, and in Virginia but mostly Northern Virginia which isn’t culturally the same. In NVA I knew a whole lot of people who had grown up in Appalachia and environs - they used to say they were taught the Three R’s in school: readin’, ritin’, and the road to Washington (cuz jobs).

Just, his description of people didn’t jibe with the people I knew. That’s all I can remember without getting the book out or looking up our book salon.
I took no issue with his opinions (even though I didn’t necessarily agree, I thought they were valid, or, at least, defensible). My issue was with his law school. He glossed over it in such a way that made me call BS on the whole thing. Preparing to apply to law school is hard. The LSAT is hard. The application process is hard.

I went back to my kindle — now I remember what it was: “During my first round of law school applications, I didn’t even apply to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford—the mythical “top three” schools.

“First round?” What? He didn’t get in anywhere else so he had to have a second round then got into Yale? Bullshit. Or he didn’t like the schools that he did get into so he decided to try again? Again, bullshit. He never explains this thing about “rounds.”. But I know from experience: you don’t apply to law schools in “rounds.”

There might be a legit explanation, but this I’m-just-a-dumb-redneck-who-got-so-incredibly-lucky schtick sounds off to me.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Foggy wrote:
neeneko wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 pm
Now... you know.. I've never actually read Harry Potter. Seems like a good time for something light in another direction.
J.K. Rowling is an excellent writer, and I highly recommend all 6 Harry Potter novels. But I wouldn't exactly call them "light," at least not in the sense of being humorous or light-hearted. They are dark fiction in many ways, with terrible things happening to good people. You have been warned! :mrgreen:
I loved them all. They definitely get darker and darker with each book. My eight-year-old granddaughter just read all of them and is a HUGE fan. It's Harry Potter (well, actually Hermione) everything these days. She has been allowed to watch some of the movies by her mom, but not all of them because of how dark they get at the end. All of the movies are available On Demand on HBO, so she could watch all of them, but I'll stick with her mom's rules.

I haven't read anything else by Rowling, but I should start looking for them. She really is an outstanding writer.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 pm
kate520 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Anything in particular that rang your alarm bells?
It’s been a while, Sugar, but what I remember is...
I lived in Appalachia for a few years, and in Virginia but mostly Northern Virginia which isn’t culturally the same. In NVA I knew a whole lot of people who had grown up in Appalachia and environs - they used to say they were taught the Three R’s in school: readin’, ritin’, and the road to Washington (cuz jobs).

Just, his description of people didn’t jibe with the people I knew. That’s all I can remember without getting the book out or looking up our book salon.
I took no issue with his opinions (even though I didn’t necessarily agree, I thought they were valid, or, at least, defensible). My issue was with his law school. He glossed over it in such a way that made me call BS on the whole thing. Preparing to apply to law school is hard. The LSAT is hard. The application process is hard.

I went back to my kindle — now I remember what it was: “During my first round of law school applications, I didn’t even apply to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford—the mythical “top three” schools.

“First round?” What? He didn’t get in anywhere else so he had to have a second round then got into Yale? Bullshit. Or he didn’t like the schools that he did get into so he decided to try again? Again, bullshit. He never explains this thing about “rounds.”. But I know from experience: you don’t apply to law schools in “rounds.”

There might be a legit explanation, but this I’m-just-a-dumb-redneck-who-got-so-incredibly-lucky schtick sounds off to me.
I come from an Okie background (father born in Oklahoma, mother's parents and older sister born in Oklahoma and they migrated to Northern California in the late 1930s). I was not the best college student out there but took the LSAT (and did rather well on it) after my ex-boyfriend said he thought my parents would pay for it. (He was right.) I got accepted to every law school I applied to, with the exception of UT-Austin, which was probably a good thing, since I would have likely still hung out with my slacker* buddies as opposed to studying. I do remember putting in my admission essay for the University of Houston the fact that I was the first person in my extended family to get a college degree (which was very true). And I may even have mentioned that my parents (residents of Houston) were of Oklahoma stock. I might even have played it up a lot. But the one thing I want you guys to come away with was that I was VERY, OH SO VERY CASUAL about the whole "going to law school" thing. If I hadn't gotten in, I would have done something else, because you could really do that then. Not so much today.

*Slacker is a movie by Richard Linklater, and in its weird and wonderful way, encapsulates what it was like to be in Austin in the mid to late 80s. His other movies ("Dazed and Confused" and "Everybody Wants Some") about being in high school and college respectively, are uncomfortably close to what it was like. Linklater is six weeks younger than me and lived in Houston, so I guess that's to be expected.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:39 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 pm
Foggy wrote:
neeneko wrote:
Now... you know.. I've never actually read Harry Potter. Seems like a good time for something light in another direction.
I loved them all. They definitely get darker and darker with each book. My eight-year-old granddaughter just read all of them and is a HUGE fan. It's Harry Potter (well, actually Hermione) everything these days. She has been allowed to watch some of the movies by her mom, but not all of them because of how dark they get at the end. All of the movies are available On Demand on HBO, so she could watch all of them, but I'll stick with her mom's rules.

I haven't read anything else by Rowling, but I should start looking for them. She really is an outstanding writer.
The Casual Vacancy was very, very good, I thought (someone - HBO, maybe? - did a miniseries - very faithful to the book). She also writes a crime series under the name Galbraith - OK, fun mind candy, but not great literature.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 am

Slacker is a wonderful movie. It tells a true story about a subculture in one of my favorite American cities. That subculture is probably not unique to Austin, but it is certainly pronounced there.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:39 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:08 pm
Foggy wrote:

The Casual Vacancy was very, very good, I thought (someone - HBO, maybe? - did a miniseries - very faithful to the book). She also writes a crime series under the name Galbraith - OK, fun mind candy, but not great literature.
I saw the Casual Vacancy and thought it was great. It was on HBO. I would enjoy reading that.

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:42 am
Fiona wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Hillbilly Elegy.
While my folks had moved to California when they were children, their parents are from Arkansas & Tennessee.
It mirrors the weird social mores I grew up with.
Happy I was able to escape poverty & landed in the shrinking middle class.
There was something about that guy’s story that rang false with me. His descriptions of Appalachia were spot on, but something about his Yale story didn’t add up for me. I’m not saying he didn’t go there, but as I recall he made it sound like he just sort if lucked into it, even missing a critical deadline (or something - can’t recall the detail), and I remember thinking at the time that there was something hinky about that aspect of his bio, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.it
I have been away from that book for a week or so. (backpacking). I haven’t made it to that portion yet. Once I have, I’ll get back to you on that point. I agree, he does get the weird feudalism of my extended relatives who live in the SE.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Universities, even elite institutions, will go to great lengths to diversify their entering classes. It is credible that he applied to Yale with little expectation of being taken seriously. And then he got a wonderful surprise. He had given Yale evidence that he could make it.

And this is a very good thing.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Foggy wrote:
neeneko wrote:
7!

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:20 pm

:oops: :blackeye:

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 pm

For the first time, a grsphic novel will be on the short list for the Man Booker prize: Sabrina by Nick Drnaso.

Our university aims for everybody to read the same book over the summer. A few years ago it was another graphic novel, Persepolis. It was moving.

Sabrina is out of stock st Amazon.

So I ordered another graphic novel. I am not supposed to view a screen an hour before I wish to sleep, so paper is back in!

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 pm

listeme wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm
Foggy wrote:
neeneko wrote:
7!
As I recall, when asked what the Harry Potter novels were about, J.K. Rowling replied: "Death." (True.) I have read them all as part of father/daughter bonding and enjoyed them all except for volume 6, I think it was, which I found tedious. My daughter insisted on reading the original British Bloomsbury editions. She was offended that the Scholastic editions were altered for American readers, at least the first volumes.

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 pm

much ado wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 pm
listeme wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm
Foggy wrote:

7!
As I recall, when asked what the Harry Potter novels were about, J.K. Rowling replied: "Death." (True.) I have read them all as part of father/daughter bonding and enjoyed them all except for volume 6, I think it was, which I found tedious. My daughter insisted on reading the original British Bloomsbury editions. She was offended that the Scholastic editions were altered for American readers, at least the first volumes.
Oh, that's interesting -- if I were forced to choose a favorite it might be 6. (Half-Blood Prince is the one I mean...)

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:08 pm

listeme wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 pm
:snippity:

Oh, that's interesting -- if I were forced to choose a favorite it might be 6. (Half-Blood Prince is the one I mean...)
I'm not sure volume 6 was really the one. The part I found tedious was where the main characters were stuck in a tent in the middle of nowhere and nothing seemed to happen for many pages. The pace is usually quite good, with lots of interesting things happening. I think my daughter said that The Half-Blood Prince was the one volume that was better when made into a movie.

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Okay, so now you have me strolling down memory lane. I remember how our daughter wore her Halloween witch costume to see the first Harry Potter movie. So cute! She was the same age as the main characters. I just checked. Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) was born April 1990; our daughter was born in May. Sigh.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:24 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:21 pm
For the first time, a grsphic novel will be on the short list for the Man Booker prize: Sabrina by Nick Drnaso.

Our university aims for everybody to read the same book over the summer. A few years ago it was another graphic novel, Persepolis. It was moving.

Sabrina is out of stock st Amazon.

So I ordered another graphic novel. I am not supposed to view a screen an hour before I wish to sleep, so paper is back in!
Is that because of the brightness of it?

If so, my Kindle Fire has a nice feature called Blue Shade. I set it to go on at 8PM and it automatically kicks in. It is really easy on the eyes and supposedly it prevents the issue of the bright screen interfering with upcoming sleep. I don't know if that is available on other products, it wasn't on my original Kindle.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:30 pm

It was wonderful to see the kids (and parents) waiting in long lines for the bookstores to open. And then waiting in long lines for the movies. I do not care that much WHAT kids read; I do greatly care that they READ. It develops a skill for a lifetime. Maybe someday they will read Mockingbird and change their lives (as it did mine).

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:49 pm

much ado wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Same here! We bought the second Potter book in a British edition because it wasn't out yet here in the US yet - & then made sure to buy all of the books in British editions. Not only is there lovely British word usage, but the books are physically smaller. What is it with American publishers & enormous hardcovers?!

BTW- a wee bit of a brag: Rick & I read the first two or three Harry Potter books before anyone other than kids had caught on to them in the US. Yes, it was us & the pre-teens hanging out chatting about wizards (we got huge cool points for this!). We begged friends to read them, we begged friends to read them to their kids (the first ones aren't as dark) but for the most part no one paid any attention. And then, when the first movie came out & the books & movies got hugely popular, our friends started telling *us* we should read them. :roll:

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:53 pm

much ado wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:08 pm
listeme wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:50 pm
:snippity:

I'm not sure volume 6 was really the one. The part I found tedious was where the main characters were stuck in a tent in the middle of nowhere and nothing seemed to happen for many pages. The pace is usually quite good, with lots of interesting things happening. I think my daughter said that The Half-Blood Prince was the one volume that was better when made into a movie.
Volume 7, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The first time I read it, I thought it dragged, too. The 2nd time I realized that there wasn't a bunch of pages with nothing happening - it just felt that way. And it was intentional. Rowling said she wanted the feel of the German attack on Great Britain. Hunkered down, scared, hopeless,unable to find a way to make things better, tensions rising, etc.

It goes a lot faster the 2nd time you read it. As always, Rowling drops clues everywhere. Sometimes after i read the newest book, I'd pull out earlier ones and go over things mentioned only in passing that become relevant several books down the road. Sirius on a flying motorcycle, fireworks shot into the sky, and so on. The series was meticulously planned.

One thing (of many things) that I liked about the series was the way the books mature as Harry grows older. The first book is written for a preteen. The last book is for young adults (and everybody else).

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “The Lounge”