What are you reading lately?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Late this summer, I read The Fall of the House of Zeus: The Rise and Ruin of America's Most Powerful Trial Lawyer by Curtis Wilkie.

It is the story of Dickie Scruggs, who became one of the wealthiest and most powerful trial lawyers in the United States, mostly by virtue of the Big Tobacco suits filed by various states. While the book starts out rather mundanely, with tales of Scruggs' upbringing, it becomes a real thriller when various colleagues are ensnared by the law and start wearing wires.

(Scruggs' brother-in-law is the fabulous Trent Lott).

It is a fascinating tale of someone who was on the top of the world being taken down by his own petty idiocy and loss of any sense of morality. My only problem with the author is that he fails to properly acknowledge any of Scruggs' courtroom successes on the way up, and seems to overlook the fact that insurance carriers and huge corporations don't just pay up to someone without a proven trial record.And his son Zach was convicted of...

wait for it...

misprision of felony!!!!they covered a lot of that at this legal blog

[/break1]com]http://nmisscommentor.com

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 pm

anyway, I just finished up a couple of new Terry Pratchet books, "Snuf" of the Discworld series, and "Dodger" a historical fantasy novel set in London of the mid 19th century.Both were enjoyable light reading. I'm a big fan of Pratchet and it's good to see that he can still write well with his health issues.

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 pm

I like trash for my evening fun reading. But good trash. I am currently enjoying "the Second Duchess" about the house of Este in Ferrara.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 pm

I like trash for my evening fun reading. But good trash. I am currently enjoying "the Second Duchess" about the house of Este in Ferrara.Oooo, historical stuffs, I likes it! Have you read “Katherine” by Anya Seton? [/break1]amazon.com/Katherine-Rediscovered-Classics-Anya-Seton/dp/155652532X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351217440&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Katherine%C2%94+by+Anya+Seton]http://www.amazon.com/Katherine-Redisco ... Anya+SetonI loved it! It was one of those “get up to pee in the middle of the night and read another page or two before going back to sleep” kind of books. Then get a big box of tissues for the end. (Mr Daisy has been known to toss tissues and giggle at me while reading in bed :lol: )

Birfers are toast

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:37 am

Hokay, I am to be giving you trilogy to be reading when you can has time for trilogy reading!The Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant (pseudonym alert... *cough, cough, Seanan McGuire, cough*)Book 1: FeedBook 2: DeadlineBook 3: BlackoutSF Zombie Fiction! Zombies rise in 2014, story starts in 2039...with a presidential election and...wait for it...Bloggers are the new journalists. As long as they can pass the firearms and survival tests required to go into the field! Zombies, after all.Zombies! Politics! Mad scientists! Global conspiracies! There's a Zombie Bear!Dr. Kate may use these as a text book! 8> So much fun!

Image Image Image Image Image

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:12 am

Okay, so I downloaded a kindle app on my iPad and then downloaded a book from Amazon, “The Round House” to take on my trip. Sounded pretty good. [/break1]amazon.com/The-Round-House-ebook/dp/B007HC3UF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355673963&sr=8-2&keywords=round+house]http://www.amazon.com/The-Round-House-e ... ound+houseFirst I couldn’t find the book after it was supposedly sent to my iPad and when I finally did find it, it has tiny print and I can’t pull it bigger! Anyone know if there is a way to adjust that or is this one of those “it is what it is” kind of things?

Birfers are toast

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone know if there is a way to adjust that or is this one of those “it is what it is” kind of things?Touch at the top of the screen in the Kindle App for iPad. To the right you will then see Aa. This is where to control font size, brightness, line spacing, and a few other things. The Kindle App does not use the usual finger movements.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:01 pm

I read and listen to in the car, about 40 books a year, and my most favorite, loved-it-to-death book this year was DOG STARS.

[tab=30][/break1]npr.org/2012/08/07/157431750/dog-stars-dwells-on-the-upside-of-apocalypse]NPR: Dog Stars, Peter Heller

Anyone else have a book that was especially wonderful this year and would recommend as a must-read?

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:10 pm

I am compiling my list of books to check out on Kindle from this thread...love the sample option. Other than that, a friend gave me a hard copy of "Caribou Island" which I just finished. Not a good book for a lonely middle-aged woman who lives remotely with her husband to read! Time to drag out 'Napalm and Silly Putty" by George Carlin and do some laughing.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:12 pm

I am currently reading a biography of Catherine the Great by Robert K Massie. I like to read about history I know little about. We are taking a trip over the holiday, and I need to download something else. Any suggestions?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:27 pm

The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card. It is revised and extended from The Worthing Chronicles. It is a morality tale and involves the inexperienced god of a newly settled planet, Worthing with its god Jason Worthing. No evidence that Jason was a Mormon.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 pm

My doctor recommended a book I am now reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I have it in paperback. I don't know if it is on Kindle but probably is since it was an Amazon Best Books of the Month for Feb.,2010.[/break1]amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181]http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life ... 1400052181Fascinating, informative and well-written.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 pm

My doctor recommended a book I am now reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I have it in paperback. I don't know if it is on Kindle but probably is since it was an Amazon Best Books of the Month for Feb.,2010.

[/break1]amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181]http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life ... 1400052181

Fascinating, informative and well-written.Exceptional, exceptional book and a story too touching to not be true. It broke my heart on multiple levels. I read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks this year, as well; I only still walk this earth because I am a beneficiary of some of advancements in medicine that her very short life enabled. That was my second favorite book of the year.

Third, for Civil War enthusiasts (of which I am one): When Grant Expelled the Jews.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:09 pm

My doctor recommended a book I am now reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I have it in paperback. I don't know if it is on Kindle but probably is since it was an Amazon Best Books of the Month for Feb.,2010.[/break1]amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181]http://www.amazon.com/The-Immortal-Life ... 1400052181Fascinating, informative and well-written.Yes, on Kindle, and a subtle but powerful read.

Penguin 0302

Post by Penguin 0302 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm

I am currently reading a biography of Catherine the Great by Robert K Massie. I like to read about history I know little about. We are taking a trip over the holiday, and I need to download something else. Any suggestions?My suggestions:Nicholas & Alexandra, also by MassieMarie-Antoinette by Antonia FraserThe Six Wives of Henry VIII, The Children of Henry VIII, Elizabeth by Alison Weir.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:24 pm

I am currently reading a biography of Catherine the Great by Robert K Massie. I like to read about history I know little about. We are taking a trip over the holiday, and I need to download something else. Any suggestions?My suggestions:Nicholas & Alexandra, also by MassieMarie-Antoinette by Antonia FraserThe Six Wives of Henry VIII, The Children of Henry VIII, Elizabeth by Alison Weir.Thank you. Has anyone read "Paris Wife" about Ernest Hemingway's first marriage?

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:06 pm

My suggestion -- [/break1]amazon.com/gp/product/B000SEOQOE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000SEOQOE&linkCode=as2&tag=net4tv]Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fisher. I'm reading it now, and being a big American history buff, thought I knew all about the Battle of Trenton and its consequences. Wow -- turns out I didn't know the half of it.

This arguably was the turning point of the Revolution; even though there were many bitter years ahead, had Washington lost this battle (or even not taken the gamble), it would have been over. I knew that much already, but what I didn't know was about the follow-up, and how important it was. Good book, wonderfully deep and very well written.

Oh, and the Hessians weren't sleeping off their Christmas celebration ... in fact, they'd been expecting an attack for days, and had been sleeping in their uniforms with their cartridge belts on.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Anyone know if there is a way to adjust that or is this one of those “it is what it is” kind of things?Touch at the top of the screen in the Kindle App for iPad. To the right you will then see Aa. This is where to control font size, brightness, line spacing, and a few other things. The Kindle App does not use the usual finger movements.Yay! Thanks Toll! :-bd

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Birfers are toast

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:09 pm

I am currently reading a biography of Catherine the Great by Robert K Massie. I like to read about history I know little about. We are taking a trip over the holiday, and I need to download something else. Any suggestions?My suggestions:Nicholas & Alexandra, also by MassieMarie-Antoinette by Antonia FraserThe Six Wives of Henry VIII, The Children of Henry VIII, Elizabeth by Alison Weir.Thank you. Has anyone read "Paris Wife" about Ernest Hemingway's first marriage?I had just ordered it to read over the holidays ... I am off for 10 GLORIOUS DAYS and I plan to read a lot. Someone at work just finished Paris Wife and loved it, and has passed it along to another friend or I would have had it to read for free. My reading habit is pretty pricey. I'll let you know if I like it. :)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Ive been downloading library books to my Nook. unfortunately, pickings are a bit slim.Either it's total trash, or it's an oldie.So I've bee reading and rereading some oldies lately.I just finished rereading "Lord Valentine's Castle." (robert Silverberg)

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Ive been downloading library books to my Nook.

unfortunately, pickings are a bit slim.

Either it's total trash, or it's an oldie.

So I've bee reading and rereading some oldies lately.

I just finished rereading "Lord Valentine's Castle." (robert Silverberg)I'm a big Robert Silverberg fan.

Check out the books in the Gutenberg Project. A number of the SF writers, and some others, have open sourced their books there. Cory Doctorow, H Beam Piper, Andre Norton, Robert Shea, a couple of Robert Silverberg's older books, are among some that I've gotten there.

I went there looking for William Morris' The Well at the World's End and The Wood Beyond the World. I found them, but I also found a lot more than I expected.

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Since moving to the out posts of South America, buying books has become a nightmare, crappy expensive postal delivery with no assurance of ever receiving the books. So I bought a Kindle which keeps me happy. But I sometimes miss the touch of paper, so recently I have been re-reading old stuff which I shipped over with my cooking utensils and tools.Italo Calvino : The nonexistent knight. Beautiful writing, profound, sureal and wittyUmberto Eco : Foucault's pendulum. As I'm living in a place with mucho gringos with various conspiracy theories, this makes a particularly wonderful read. Flipping the bird at cerebral arrogance, and very funny.

MaineSkeptic

Post by MaineSkeptic » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:19 am

Italo Calvino : The nonexistent knight. Beautiful writing, profound, sureal and witty

If you liked that, I would also recommend his If on a winter's night a traveler, which can be found online [link]here,http://studio.berkeley.edu/coursework/m ... 0night.pdf[/link] (legally, as far as I know!).

Highlands

Post by Highlands » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 am

I recently read [link]Why Hospitals Should Fly,http://www.whyhospitalsshouldlfly.com[/link]. Really interesting stuff about making hospital care safer and more effective for patients. Not exactly a page turner, but a great read for anyone in healthcare.

If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm

If you liked that, I would also recommend his If on a winter's night a traveler, which can be found online [link]here,http://studio.berkeley.edu/coursework/m ... 0night.pdf[/link] (legally, as far as I know!).

Thank you so much. I've never read a book sitting at the computer, so it will be a first. I love his writing, and I always had a soft spot for Italians' slight craziness.

Return to “The Lounge”