What are you reading lately?

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 pm

"Now that I’m home I checked my bookcase for something I hadn’t read yet, remembering the piles of books I’d picked up at yard sales last summer. So now I’ve just started “The Favored Child”, the second book in the Wideacre trilogy by Philippa Gregory. I’d read Wideacre some time ago and enjoyed it. I think I got this one for 50¢ so we’ll see. "OMG, I read the Wideacre trilogy several years ago and was dumbstruck. I remember telling my husband and several friends that it was like an ancient English murder ballad in novelistic form. As in so many classic British novels, the heroine lusts for the land, and uses everyone in her way to get it. Dark, morbid, and brilliant.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Just finished a novel from 1985, John Irving's The Cider House Rules. I understand that the movie left out a lot, including the character Angel. It is about the many ways in which people can take care of each other. In some places it is a thought-provoking read. I don't want to say too much more except that it is a book about women and their rights.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Re-reading old stuff. Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess. I love his style, wit and knowledge. For those not familiar with Burgess' books, here is the NYTimes book review : "Crowded, crammed, bursting with manic erudition, garlicky puns, omnilingual jokes... which meshes the real and personalized history of the twentieth century"I'm going to find out more about Tolland's "The Cider House Rules", if I can get it on Kindle.

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 pm

"Now that I’m home I checked my bookcase for something I hadn’t read yet, remembering the piles of books I’d picked up at yard sales last summer. So now I’ve just started “The Favored Child”, the second book in the Wideacre trilogy by Philippa Gregory. I’d read Wideacre some time ago and enjoyed it. I think I got this one for 50¢ so we’ll see. "OMG, I read the Wideacre trilogy several years ago and was dumbstruck. I remember telling my husband and several friends that it was like an ancient English murder ballad in novelistic form. As in so many classic British novels, the heroine lusts for the land, and uses everyone in her way to get it. Dark, morbid, and brilliant.I've just added Wideacre to my kindle. Sounds like fun! And I love fun books. It is how my brain rests.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm going to find out more about Tolland's "The Cider House Rules", if I can get it on Kindle.It was a Kindle Daily Deal a while ago, which is why I have it. I have to constrain myself from spending $0.99 or $1.99 every day because so much is so attractive.

For The Cider House Rules think very rural Maine during the Depression, the war years, and the years that followed. Think the detritus of a sawmill, an orphanage, a young obstetrician (or two), and an apple orchard on a grey hillside.

Jacqueline Winspear has another one of her Maisie Dobbs series coming out. The series provides an interesting counterpoint to Downton Abbey, especially the books explicitly set in the aftermath of World War I, its causalities, and its horrors. I think they should be read chronologically, which is apparently not the order in which they were published. Warning: the series might be injurious to Anglophilia of the upper class sort.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm

I've already finished it, but I'd like to recommend [/break1]amazon.com/gp/product/B003K16PAA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003K16PAA&linkCode=as2&tag=net4tv]Newton and the Counterfeiter: The Unknown Detective Career of the World's Greatest Scientist by Tom Levenson. If you read at Balloon Juice, he posts there, and he teaches at MIT.

What a cool book! You more or less get the whole story of Sir Isaac Newton and his colleagues, friends, enemies, and frenemies, but also a wonderful treatise on coinage and other monetary instruments, the holes that the government of England fell into because no one really understood how monetary policies worked ... and then the great cat and mouse game as the greatest scientist of his day faced off with the greatest counterfeiter.

I thought I knew a fair amount about Newton and this period of history when I started it, and was constantly surprised, educated, and delighted.

The fact that the author is someone I've admired and occasionally interacted with on BJ is icing on the cake. It is very readable, and for a history or science buff, this is a real treat.

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Warning: the series might be injurious to Anglophilia of the upper class sort.Ha, I'll read anything that Ann Romney won't..

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Life of Pi

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 am

"Now that I’m home I checked my bookcase for something I hadn’t read yet, remembering the piles of books I’d picked up at yard sales last summer. So now I’ve just started “The Favored Child”, the second book in the Wideacre trilogy by Philippa Gregory. I’d read Wideacre some time ago and enjoyed it. I think I got this one for 50¢ so we’ll see. "OMG, I read the Wideacre trilogy several years ago and was dumbstruck. I remember telling my husband and several friends that it was like an ancient English murder ballad in novelistic form. As in so many classic British novels, the heroine lusts for the land, and uses everyone in her way to get it. Dark, morbid, and brilliant.I've just added Wideacre to my kindle. Sounds like fun! And I love fun books. It is how my brain rests.I finished “The Favored Child” and am now into “Meridon”, (which I ran to the book store and bought because I wanted it in my hands before I ran out of pages on the Favored Child. :lol: ) I won’t say any more so I don’t spoil anything but I will say that it just keeps getting better!I love stories that make you worry about running out of pages! :-bd
Birfers are toast

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

I've already finished it, but I'd like to recommend [/break1]amazon.com/gp/product/B003K16PAA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003K16PAA&linkCode=as2&tag=net4tv]Newton and the Counterfeiter: The Unknown Detective Career of the World's Greatest Scientist by Tom Levenson.Got that on my Paperwhite last night after reading your post, ducky. :hug:

Now if I can only find time to read more. I seem to be busy all but an hour or so a day now. 8>
My god, it's full of stars turtles all the way down!

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 am

I just finished Battle Royale (Batoru Rowaiaru) by Koushun Takami, 2009 edition, translated by Yuji Oniki.

There is no doubt in my mind that Suzanne Collins was influenced by

borrowed heavily from

outright stole the concept for The Hunger Games from Battle Royale.

This is my opinion and is in no way meant to be taken as a statement of fact.

That said, after reading Battle Royale, I understand why it has attained cult status, not only in Japan and the U.S., but around the world. It is a morality play, worthy of discussion.
"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

Circumspect

Post by Circumspect » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 pm

I just read this: [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_(novel]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_(novel) and was fascinated.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 am

If you liked THE HELP, you'll want to read THE CHAPERONE. I couldn't put it down. Takes place in 1922* and there is a lot of historical detail woven into the story, especially the arts and culture of New York City. This one is sure to end up as a movie.[tab=30]http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1305 ... erone*1922 was the year Paul Robeson first appeared on Broadway. In a play called Taboo. It ran three whole days. For years, I have looked for the Playbill for Taboo, knowing it will be very expensive to acquire but planning to do just that. Paternal Grandpa OD was an actor on Broadway and was in that short-lived play, too. Grandpa was blacklisted in the mid-1950s when he was playing regularly on early TV shows (Sky King, The Cisco Kid) for having been a founding member of Actors Equity and participating in an actor's strike in 1919. He was always proud of his friendship with Robeson, as young men. THE CHAPERONE gave me such a thrill to read about some context of that year and theater of the time.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Interesting family story, OD. Thank you. :D
¡Qué vergüenza!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:55 pm

"Now that I’m home I checked my bookcase for something I hadn’t read yet, remembering the piles of books I’d picked up at yard sales last summer. So now I’ve just started “The Favored Child”, the second book in the Wideacre trilogy by Philippa Gregory. I’d read Wideacre some time ago and enjoyed it. I think I got this one for 50¢ so we’ll see. "OMG, I read the Wideacre trilogy several years ago and was dumbstruck. I remember telling my husband and several friends that it was like an ancient English murder ballad in novelistic form. As in so many classic British novels, the heroine lusts for the land, and uses everyone in her way to get it. Dark, morbid, and brilliant.I've just added Wideacre to my kindle. Sounds like fun! And I love fun books. It is how my brain rests.Started reading these based on these reviews. At first I was like, meh, but now I have to finish the trilogy because I have to know what happens. :shock:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm reading "My Stroke of Insight", a neurobiologist has a massive stroke and documents it. (One of my beloved sister wives recommended it. :xo ) I've been viewing Mom as an experiment because of that. Awesomely useful. Mom confuses "joy" and "job", and sometimes reverses letters when coming up with words. She can spell them all correctly on her letter board or write them on her pad of paper. When she gets frustrated, she says: "I can SEE it! Just can't say it." I wonder if she really can see the words in her head. :-k
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

ducktape

Post by ducktape » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm reading "My Stroke of Insight", a neurobiologist has a massive stroke and documents it. (One of my beloved sister wives recommended it. :xo ) I've been viewing Mom as an experiment because of that. Awesomely useful.For those who aren't familiar with Jill Bolte Taylor, here is one of her TED Talks about it. I found it inspiring and enlightening in many ways.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:36 pm

I just ordered "The Man Who Never Died," based on a friend's recommendation at our Sunday seder. I need a little radicalizing, it seems!http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s43 ... 508041.jpg

MetoDC

Post by MetoDC » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

I am reading Robert Caro's LBJ biography - "The Passage to Power" - the latest (next to last) in his wonderful series. After that I turn to the final William Manchester (completed after his death) Churchill biography. I may still in the hardback book mode -- these books should convince me to move to a Nook.

kubu island

Post by kubu island » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 am

I just ordered "The Man Who Never Died," based on a friend's recommendation at our Sunday seder. I need a little radicalizing, it seems!http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s43 ... .jpg"Takes more than guns to kill a man says Joe I never died"I remember at around 9 years old, listening to an LP of Paul Robeson's songs, and the song of Joe Hill, and though not grasping all the implications of the lyrics, I understood and was fascinated by the fact that an ideal never dies. I still am, and comforted by it.For and from the record (hahaha) I can still hum the Chinese hyme and something about los quatro generales..

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:26 am

Jacqueline Winspear's next book in the Maisie Dobbs series has just been published. She is ready for a foreign adventure, perhaps to fabled __________.

allyn211

Post by allyn211 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am

I am working my way through A. Lincoln, a biography of Abraham Lincoln. I have had to check this book out of the library THREE TIMES, and I'm still only halfway through it. That's more of a comment on how much information there is--it's well written and very thorough.

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:42 am

Just devoured "Born Standing Up," Steve Martin's autobiographical account of his stand-up comedy career. Interesting adjunct to any discussion of American cultural history 1955-1990, especially the hippie generation. And he does a marvelous job tracing his evolution as a performer through years and years as a struggling comic, and on into what became an unprecedented spotlight -- which he then quit (in favor of music, movies, and writing). Very funny in spots, and touching in spots. Fast read.Recommend.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

I've added this title to my Amazon list. I have a few books ahead of it, but it seems very interesting if you're looking for non-fiction.

[link]The Way of the Knife: The CIA, a Secret Army, and a War at the Ends of the Earth,
[/link]

by Mark Mazzetti

From the Product Description:

At the heart of the book is the story of two proud and rival entities, the CIA and the American military, elbowing each other for supremacy. The CIA, created as a Cold War espionage service, is now more than ever a paramilitary agency ordered by the White House to kill off America’s enemies—in the mountains of Pakistan and the deserts of Yemen, in the tumultuous civil wars of North Africa and the chaos of Somalia. For its part, the Pentagon has become more like the CIA, dramatically expanding spying missions everywhere. Sometimes, as with the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, their efforts have been perfectly coordinated. Other times, including the failed operations disclosed here for the first time, they have not. For better or worse, their struggles will define American national security in the years to come.About the Author:

MARK MAZZETTI is a national security correspondent for The New York Times. In 2009, he shared a Pulitzer Prize for reporting on the intensifying violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan and Washington’s response, and he has won numerous other major journalism awards, including the George Polk Award (with colleague Dexter Filkins) and the Livingston Award, for breaking the story of the CIA's destruction of interrogation videotapes. Mazzetti has also written for the Los Angeles Times, U.S. News & World Report, and The Economist. He lives in Washington, D.C.NPR Fresh Air has a long interview with Mazzetti today, well worth reading or listening to: [link]'The Way Of The Knife': Soldiers, Spies And Shadow Wars,[/link].
¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “The Lounge”