What are you reading lately?

magdalen77

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by magdalen77 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Yea, I've seen it in the Harry Hole series written by Jo Nesbo and the Kari Vaara series written by James Thompson (may he rest in peace). The Hole books are set in Norway and the Vaara books are set in Finland.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Mon May 16, 2016 12:30 am

My boyfriend sent me home with two translations of Margery Kempe's autobiography (first written in English in the 1400s), a book about Aztec society, and a book by E.O. Wilson that he didn't like too much. I've also got the first volume of a two-book set on Margaret Fuller to work through, plus a book on Sufi spirituality. And then there's the book by Naomi Novik called Uprooted which won the Nebula for best novel yesterday that I downloaded to my Kindle. (Apparently women pretty much swept the Nebulas this year, probably a reaction to the Puppies trying to screw around with the Hugos again this year.) Too much to read, not enough time for the Fogbow.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Mon May 16, 2016 5:53 am

I'll have to look for that. I love her Temeraire series. And if women swept the Nebulas it serves the damned Puppies right.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon May 16, 2016 7:18 am

Watership Down.

Because I was looking at the map the other day, and suddenly realized that my commute to and from London is on the very Iron Road mentioned in the book. (In fact, as I type this, the train is running over the ground depicted on the map in the front of the book.)

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon May 16, 2016 7:40 am

Mikedunford wrote:Watership Down.

Because I was looking at the map the other day, and suddenly realized that my commute to and from London is on the very Iron Road mentioned in the book. (In fact, as I type this, the train is running over the ground depicted on the map in the front of the book.)
I love that book :lovestruck: I bought it this year (for the umpteenth time) for my granddaughter who just turned 11. I hope she loves it as much as I did.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 am

ObjectiveDoubter wrote: My car did not pass Smog in Feb. I paid the registration, but I won't be allowed to next Feb. Gotta get a new car. The other thing good about it is that I'll be able to get Sirus and XM radio! POTUS is one thing I am hoping to enjoy, soon.
Off Topic
Word to the wise: if you really want subscription radio, play coy. Don't even activate it right away. The longer you put off activating and/or subscribing, the more frantic - and lower - the offer will become.

I had to file a complaint with the FTC over Sirius Radio's relentless phone calls when I have had no established business relationship with them (buying a car that comes with a Sirius receiver in it does not, imo, establish a business relationship). Even after filing the complaint, they're still sending me solicitation letters. Not sayin' satellite radio is a bad thing. The subscription model just doesn't work for me, so I am not interested.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri May 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Mimi Hirsh died last month and I was reminded that I had wanted to read her book, Kabul, first published in the 1980s. This lovely novel is set in the 1970s, in the time of the last king of Afghanistan, when Western influence on the culture is on its way out and fundamentalism is coming into prominence, soon before the Soviet invasion. The history is told through one family, the father a Minister in the king's government, the mother an American, a daughter studying in Boston and torn between cultures, and conflicting politics and personalities of two sons. I am enjoying it and learning a good bit while at it.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Humanbeing

Post by Humanbeing » Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am

Hello.

I just finished "The Sword of the Bright Lady. It's a fantasy/stranger in a strange land novel that is self published.

The protagonist Cris is a modern day American, and a mechanical engineer. One night while walking his dogs he takes a wrong turn on the N axis and finds himself in another reality. The new reality is basically like a MMOG, there are ranks/levels, Classes, priest ect., and affiliation/White, Black ect. It is surprisingly well done, and while I'm not a fantasy reader I was drawn in right off. I won't give anymore away but you can imagine his engineering skills are an important part of the story.

It's the first of a trilogy, the second book is out and the third will be released late this year. It was fun book candy, I ended up staying up all night to finish it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/202 ... earch=true

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm

So this years Hugo drama is a spiral of people trolling one another and everyone looking bloody terrible. And it may wind up with "Space Raptor Butt Invasion" getting a Hugo, which will start a fight about which bunch of idiots looks worse.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/26/11759842/c ... -explained
You might have noticed the launch of the strange and beautiful website TheRabidPuppies.com this week — a loud announcement, accompanied by a photo of shirtless Channing Tatum, that one Chuck Tingle (the self-proclaimed "worlds [sic] greatest author") had arrived with the intent to "take DARK MAGIC and replace with REAL LOVE for all who kiss the sky."

As incoherent as this oddly worded crowing might seem to the average reader, it's a clear mic drop in the world of sci-fi and fantasy. That's because the website is part of an ongoing culture war between politicized factions of well-known sci-fi and fantasy authors and their fans, by someone whose claim to fame is writing viral supernatural-tinged erotica.

Its proprietor, the aforementioned Chuck Tingle, is the author of such storied works as Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt and My Ass Is Haunted by the Gay Unicorn Colonel. And the battle he's just marched into is a fight by a conservative collective known as "the Puppies" to preserve the honor of the Hugo Awards — the annual populist speculative fiction awards chosen by members of the science fiction and fantasy community — against an onslaught of inclusiveness and diversity that has invaded sci-fi/fantasy writing.

Why would anyone, let alone an erotica author who's not connected to the sci-fi/fantasy community, willingly join such a fray? In Tingle's case, he didn't volunteer for the job; he was drafted into the war by the "Rabid Puppies," an extremist subgroup of Puppies who attempted to nominate his writing for a Hugo as a way to mock the entire awards process.
Warning, the article is written terribly, and from deep inside Chuck Tingles butt.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

phelana

Post by phelana » Sat May 28, 2016 2:32 am

I've been spending insomnia nights with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It seemed appropriate for the surrealistic Bundy trials.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:15 am

I have been dealing with insomnia for reasons that I think I understand and do not want to go the route of prescription pills for even a little while. So I am devouring books. My current is Gore Vidal's Burr. It is a mixture of fact, fiction, and tall tales and will probably require my reading a serious biography to be sure which is which.

Burr has interested me for many years. Grandson of Jonathan Edwards (he of "sinners in the hands of an angry God" and the Presidency of the College of New Jersey, known today as Princeton), son of another President of that northernmost Southern college, and first student at the Litchfield Law School. Part of the rather small claque that formulated the principles on which a democracy could be founded, even though in its early years only a tiny fraction of the white male population could vote. Maybe father of Martin van Buren. Maybe not. One of the founders of Tammany Hall. Had an ambition to be Emperor of Mexico. Saw Washington as an incompetent general but effective President. Spent some time abroad in exile.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Laura Keane Zametkin Hobson, Gentleman's Agreement. 1947 New York Times Bestseller for five months. The novel is about a writer given an assignment to write a series of articles about antisemitism in postwar America. It is set in Manhattan, Westchester County, and (briefly) New Hampshire. New Canaan and Darien figure strongly as having a "gentleman's agreement" that Jews will not live in the towns or be welcome to social events there. They certainly cannot join the clubs.

I won't give away what the writer does to gather information. Suffice it to say that antisemitism was alive and well in much of Manhattan and Westchester County in 1947. Except among the youth, it generally hid itself better than in Nazi Germany.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:00 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Laura Keane Zametkin Hobson, Gentleman's Agreement. 1947 New York Times Bestseller for five months. The novel is about a writer given an assignment to write a series of articles about antisemitism in postwar America. It is set in Manhattan, Westchester County, and (briefly) New Hampshire. New Canaan and Darien figure strongly as having a "gentleman's agreement" that Jews will not live in the towns or be welcome to social events there. They certainly cannot join the clubs.

I won't give away what the writer does to gather information. Suffice it to say that antisemitism was alive and well in much of Manhattan and Westchester County in 1947. Except among the youth, it generally hid itself better than in Nazi Germany.
I don't think that much has changed. When we lived in CT, people talked about the Aryans in Darien. (Fairfield County in CT)

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:12 am

The Gentleman's Agreement novel was immediately made into an Oscar-winning film [Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress (Celeste Holm), and Best Director (Elia Kazan)]. Gregory Peck played the writer who pretended for eight weeks to be a Jew. Another film, "Crossfire," was originally a film about homophobia but was converted into a film about antisemitism.

Darien and New Canaan are not the only towns in Connecticut with reputations for having had "sundown clauses": "if you are a minority, don't let the sun set before you leave town." I personally believe that the form of discrimination that is most importantly to be found today is in the private beach, tennis, swimming, and golf clubs, not in residential gentleman's agreements. Darien was notable in the 1920s for hosting the state leader of the Ku Klux Klan. The Stamford Republican Party used the Klan as a medium for its activities through its Lincoln Republican Club.

The nearby town of Greenwich most recently got into a contretemps with a Russian oligarch. It is OK to have big mansions in Greenwich but not THAT big.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:27 pm

The Sleep Garden by Jim Krusoe.

Um. It's really hard to tell what this book is "About", maybe purgatory on earth? There's not much plot and the story unfolds in such a gradual way, told in snippets by different characters, that I'm still not entirely sure what's going on. They all live in a hobbit house-like place called the Burrow and things happen. But I like the prose and, since I'm taking a class from him next year, I'm determined to finish it if only to be sure I still want to take his class. ;) I'm not much of a postmodernist. His class is all about the student. You bring work, he makes notes, you rework and then the class tears it apart. Sounds like fun, eh?

Turns out he's also a parent and his kids go to a school that many of my friends' kids attend. He's famous there for his eyebrows. Not everyone knows he's written six books.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:42 pm

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope (1875). A lengthy novel (one of the very last to be published in serial format) about marriages among the London upper class - for money, not for love. The seldom seen, but dominant, character is a business tycoon with a vaguely shady past who becomes a candidate for political office based on his purported but unproven business success -- somehow that seems familiar.

One reason I picked this was because the storyline dealt with the status of Jews in Victorian England, but also because it's a thick book. I had major heart surgery a dozen years ago and one of the after-effects (that they didn't forewarn me about!) was attention-deficit, which I have deliberately challenged by picking out a thick classic every year and plowing through it. Last year it was Don Quixote.

phelana

Post by phelana » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm

I just finished read A Thousand Miles From Nowhere. It's a novel about New Orleans, Katrina, depression and maybe redemption.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:25 pm

TollandRCR wrote:I have been dealing with insomnia for reasons that I think I understand and do not want to go the route of prescription pills for even a little while. So I am devouring books. My current is Gore Vidal's Burr. It is a mixture of fact, fiction, and tall tales and will probably require my reading a serious biography to be sure which is which.

Burr has interested me for many years. Grandson of Jonathan Edwards (he of "sinners in the hands of an angry God" and the Presidency of the College of New Jersey, known today as Princeton), son of another President of that northernmost Southern college, and first student at the Litchfield Law School. Part of the rather small claque that formulated the principles on which a democracy could be founded, even though in its early years only a tiny fraction of the white male population could vote. Maybe father of Martin van Buren. Maybe not. One of the founders of Tammany Hall. Had an ambition to be Emperor of Mexico. Saw Washington as an incompetent general but effective President. Spent some time abroad in exile.
It is on my Amazon wish list. Book bub had an excellent price 99 cents I believe. Looks really interesting.

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Does anyone know of any good historical fiction that might include Maria Theresa of Austria ? Or anything Hapsburg related? Realist and I are vacationing in Austria and Hungary this fall and I would like to do some ambiance reading.

Already downloaded a few biographies but would prefer some well-written historically accurate fiction. Thanks.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Princess foofypants wrote:
TollandRCR wrote:I have been dealing with insomnia for reasons that I think I understand and do not want to go the route of prescription pills for even a little while. So I am devouring books. My current is Gore Vidal's Burr. It is a mixture of fact, fiction, and tall tales and will probably require my reading a serious biography to be sure which is which.

It is on my Amazon wish list. Book bub had an excellent price 99 cents I believe. Looks really interesting.
Burr also lost a daughter in the Bermuda Triangle (although I don't think they called it that back then :lol: )

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Burr was a fascinating character. That was Gore Vidal's best novel, in my opinion.

I recently discovered that Stephanie Barron, who writes the Jane Austen mystery series, published an earlier series of mystery and espionage novels under her real name, Francine Mathews. I'm reading them in order.The first four are set on the island of Nantucket, which is beautifully depicted.

phelana

Post by phelana » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:39 pm

I just finished reading, The Martian. Great book. The movie followed the book closely.

Also breezed through Lois Lowry's Gathering Blue. Now onto, Messenger.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:19 pm

Tariq Ali's Islam Quintet. I first read Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree: A Novel, which is about the last days of the Reconquista of al-Andalus. A gripping and moving novel based in reality.

I may need to read another perspective on what the Christians did to the Moors and the Jews; if I don't, I'll be angry for a while. I may be angry anyway. The people who destroyed Moorish culture in the peninsula later went across the ocean and destroyed Native American culture.

phelana

Post by phelana » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:09 am

Picked up Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher. Great humor. All the memos we always wanted to write.

Excerpt from Letter of Recommendation:
"I've know Ms. deRueda for eleven minutes, ten of which were spent in a fruitless attempt to explain to her that I write letters of recommendation only for students who have signed up for and completed one of my classes. This young woman is certainly tenacious, if that's what you're looking for. A transfer student, she appears to be suffering under the delusion that a recommendation from any random faculty member within our august institution will be the key to her application's success."

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:44 am

How well I know about wanting to write such a letter. It is particularly onerous when the recipient institution wants to know about character, leadership potential, and civic responsibility. About the only time that I have knowledge of such matters is when a student really falls down on one or more of them. But what is a student to do when the only class with less than 40 students that the student got to have in the entire undergraduate experience was a writing-intensive course with me?

Return to “The Lounge”