What are you reading lately?

jmj

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by jmj » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:46 pm

I read this several years ago now, so I'm not sure whether that qualifies as "lately", but I feel the need to plug Peter Mathiessen's "Shadow Country". If I were pressed to name my favorite book of all time, I think I might choose this book. It's absolutely masterful and doesn't get the acclaim that I think it deserves. It's truly one of the great American novels. Murder, racism, the everglades...

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:12 pm

spiduh wrote:
Addie wrote:Ah, you guys are going to make me look for newer Jack Reacher books. I've read almost all of them, I think, but you never know. :-D
I totally screwed up when I started reading them, didn't realize how much I'd enjoy them and just read random scattered ones in any order. Now I have no idea which ones I've read and which ones I haven't, and due to a crappy memory it takes me a solid chunk of reading before I can tell if it is one I already know.
Main differences I observed:

Written in the '90s, Reacher goes around occasionally hornswaggling money from bad guys to get by. Carries no ID. No cell phones or computers involved except in distant, vague references to agencies using them.

Written post 9/11: Reacher does carry a passport for ID and keeps a bank account. He came into money through inheritance. Cell phones and computers are part of life, but Reacher eschews them except for rare, specific purposes.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Estiveo wrote:I just finished The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. A sweet story of a young girl, her teacher, a morally bankrupt scientist, a hard as nails army sergeant and a very green private making their way in England 20 years after a zombie apocalypse.
I read that. Loved it!

phelana

Post by phelana » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:23 pm

For fictional reading set in Eastern Oregon, I recommend picking up some of Molly Glass' books. She's a 4th generation Oregonian. I first read The Heart of Horses about a girl who rides a circuit breaking in horses. There are a few cars being introduced so it's probably around the time that the Malheur refuge was created. Most folks still have horses and wagons for going to town.

Her other book that I've read is Falling From Horses. A kid from Southeastern Oregon, starts rodeoing and then ends up down in Hollywood falling off horses. This is during the heyday of the westerns. 1930-40s. Some good descriptions of the family ranch in Oregon and life on the ranch.

For the archaeology buffs, Letters from Wupatki by Courtney Reeder Jones. It's a collection of letters written in the 1940s as a newly married couple live and work among the Navajo on preservation efforts at Wupatki. Great pictures. Great letters.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:24 pm

jmj wrote:I read this several years ago now, so I'm not sure whether that qualifies as "lately", but I feel the need to plug Peter Mathiessen's "Shadow Country". If I were pressed to name my favorite book of all time, I think I might choose this book. It's absolutely masterful and doesn't get the acclaim that I think it deserves. It's truly one of the great American novels. Murder, racism, the everglades...
Is this the new one-volume consolidated version of the original trilogy?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:00 pm

I am heading to the California wine country soon, so I am about to start Judgment in Paris.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

jmj

Post by jmj » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:03 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
jmj wrote:I read this several years ago now, so I'm not sure whether that qualifies as "lately", but I feel the need to plug Peter Mathiessen's "Shadow Country". If I were pressed to name my favorite book of all time, I think I might choose this book. It's absolutely masterful and doesn't get the acclaim that I think it deserves. It's truly one of the great American novels. Murder, racism, the everglades...
Is this the new one-volume consolidated version of the original trilogy?
Yeah. I never read the original trilogy, so I can't compare the two. But supposedly 'Shadow Country" is much tighter and cohesive and is much closer to Matthiessen's original vision for the story.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm working my way through the ~4,700-page Lanny Budd series by Upton Sinclair. In most printings it is 11 volumes, although the currently available paper version is 22 volumes. I have no idea when I will finish this endeavor. Then on to Shadow Country.

The Lanny Budd series covers from just before World War I to the Cold War after World War II. I have not yet found a boring stretch. I am becoming pinker by the page, however.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 pm

I am halfway through the book, "Spain in our Hearts," and found out yesterday that the author, Adam Hochschild, is speaking at the Los Angeles Central Library tonight, so I plan to go.

(Hochschild is co-founder of Mother Jones.)

It makes me so sad to read what a mistake it was on so many levels, for our government to forbid the sale of arms to the Spanish Republicans. And while Franco and his right-wing coalition of evil was supported by Hitler and Mussolini.

Excellent book. I haven't subscribed to Mother Jones for some time but even getting half way through this masterpiece, decided to support this kind of journalism and non-fiction writing, and signed up for the printed magazine. :)

Here is Amy Goodman's article/interview about it. http://www.alternet.org/world/spain-our ... ht-fascism

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:45 am

Not a book, but an author.

Mark Twain, a digitally restored film from 1909
The iconic film of Mark Twain walking in front of Stormfield, his house in Redding Connecticut, where he would later die. TFG Film & Tape has performed a digital restoration to the 1909 Edison film.

[liveleak]023d9c869675[/liveleak]

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:48 am

Fogbower Cheri Roberts has a small book of sexy poetry for sale on Amazon. Will test pilot tonight on sweetie.
The Pootriots are doing their level best to ensure she sells as many of the books as Amazon can Kindle.

http://thebetsyrossconservative.blogspo ... s.html?m=0

PS - Lots of crunchy goodness at the web page too. :rotflmao:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Mr. Peabody
Occupation: Situationist/ Neu dadaist/ Gutter Taoist/ BPP 10 point programmer/ Triple Gemini

Post by Mr. Peabody » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:28 am

an overwhelming amount of books on birds and growing herbs!
the bird books are as follows:
"how to attract birds" ortho series
"words for birds" edward gruson
"feeding & sheltering backyard birds" barrons series
"backyard birds" Dr. Janann V. Jenner
"Birds of the SW desert" Gusse Thomas Smith
"Bird in Hand" photos by victor Schrager text by the great A.S. Byatt
"Beyond the bird feeder" John Dennis
"Pigeons" Andrew Blechman
"Beginners guide to bird feeding" lillian stokes
and my fave for now,
"The human nature of birds" Theodore Xenophon Barber Ph.D.

any bird related books you can recommend are much appreciated!
I'm a speed reader

"What thou lovest well remains,the rest is dross" -Ezra Pound / Pisan Canto LXXXI

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Mr. Peabody wrote:
I'm a speed reader
Let me look through my books to see what might tickle your fancy.

In the meantime, I finished reading Confederate Saddles & Horse Equipment by Ken R. Knopp, and also enjoyed re-reading Ben K. Green's Last Trail Drive Through Downtown Dallas. The Last Trail Drive involves, yes, driving a herd of cattle through downtown Dallas, TX.

Now started on Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang by Richard O'Kane.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:21 pm

phelana wrote:For fictional reading set in Eastern Oregon, I recommend picking up some of Molly Glass' books. She's a 4th generation Oregonian. I first read The Heart of Horses about a girl who rides a circuit breaking in horses. There are a few cars being introduced so it's probably around the time that the Malheur refuge was created. Most folks still have horses and wagons for going to town.

Her other book that I've read is Falling From Horses. A kid from Southeastern Oregon, starts rodeoing and then ends up down in Hollywood falling off horses. This is during the heyday of the westerns. 1930-40s. Some good descriptions of the family ranch in Oregon and life on the ranch.
I'll see if I can't find copies of these two books.

Some fun and really interesting reads are books about the Gang Ranch, in British Columbia. There's competing views of the action, by Judy Alsager on one hand, and Dale Alsager on the other.

Dale Alsager wound up living in the small town where I live, and practiced Osteopathic medicine. His license to practice medicine was permanently revoked a couple of years ago (I'm wondering if our newish member Extreme1 would have had contact with him, actually).

jmj

Post by jmj » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:47 am

Mr. Peabody wrote:an overwhelming amount of books on birds and growing herbs!
the bird books are as follows:
"how to attract birds" ortho series
"words for birds" edward gruson
"feeding & sheltering backyard birds" barrons series
"backyard birds" Dr. Janann V. Jenner
"Birds of the SW desert" Gusse Thomas Smith
"Bird in Hand" photos by victor Schrager text by the great A.S. Byatt
"Beyond the bird feeder" John Dennis
"Pigeons" Andrew Blechman
"Beginners guide to bird feeding" lillian stokes
and my fave for now,
"The human nature of birds" Theodore Xenophon Barber Ph.D.

I'm a speed reader
A couple of bird related books that I often recommend are "Living on the Wind" by Scott Weidensaul and "The Singing Life of Birds" by Donald Kroodsma.

Mr. Peabody
Occupation: Situationist/ Neu dadaist/ Gutter Taoist/ BPP 10 point programmer/ Triple Gemini

Post by Mr. Peabody » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:25 am

At work now but wanted to express sincere appreciation and shall look these up tonight!

"What thou lovest well remains,the rest is dross" -Ezra Pound / Pisan Canto LXXXI

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:09 am

The Other Side of Silence by Philip Kerr is the latest Bernie Gunther. This one is set in the 1950s on the French Riviera. The plot is about a blackmail scheme by a former Gestapo sleaze bag, against W. Somerset Maugham and the British secret service and involving the Cambridge spies. Bernie is working under an assumed name as a hotel concierge, but knew the creep in Berlin, and gets drawn back into his detective role. Very good, as always.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:43 am

jmj wrote:
Mr. Peabody wrote:
I'm a speed reader
A couple of bird related books that I often recommend are "Living on the Wind" by Scott Weidensaul and "The Singing Life of Birds" by Donald Kroodsma.
Yes, The Singing Life of Birds is a good one!

I have mostly field guides now, at least the books immediately to hand are the guides. Depending on whether or not you like to get out and hike/explore, you should also consider getting some field guides for wildflowers/plants, mushrooms, scat/tracks, and local geology. Birds and animals move around, so I also like to take a look at what the stationary features of the landscape are as well.

Butterfly Bilderberg

Post by Butterfly Bilderberg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Just beginning American Nations. I heard the author interviewed on the POTUS channel a few weeks ago, while driving across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. (POTUS is a great way to make the 24-mile commute go quickly.) He was so interesting that the moment I got home I went to Amazon and ordered the book.

"A man has honor if he holds himself to an ideal of conduct though it is inconvenient, unprofitable, or dangerous to do so." - Walter Lippmann

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Edit: No sooner than he wins the Pulitzer, Viet Thanh Nguyen has won the Edgar for Best First Novel By An American Author. I am still reading The Sympathizer and it is for sure fantastic.

The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen won a Pulitzer this year. I started reading it last night and it was hard to put down. A South Vietnamese army captain is a secret communist and double agent cooperating with the CIA. At the fall of Saigon, he is flown out with his trusting general, who is head of the Viet secret police, and others to the US. This is a return for the captain who had lived in the US and received military training and university education there. One interesting point for Fogbowsers is that he graduated from Occidental. Here is a New York Times review.

¡Qué vergüenza!

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:26 pm

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote:Just beginning American Nations. I heard the author interviewed on the POTUS channel a few weeks ago, while driving across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. (POTUS is a great way to make the 24-mile commute go quickly.) He was so interesting that the moment I got home I went to Amazon and ordered the book.
My car did not pass Smog in Feb. I paid the registration, but I won't be allowed to next Feb. Gotta get a new car. The other thing good about it is that I'll be able to get Sirus and XM radio! POTUS is one thing I am hoping to enjoy, soon.

Cheri Roberts

Post by Cheri Roberts » Thu May 12, 2016 3:12 pm

SueDB wrote:Fogbower Cheri Roberts has a small book of sexy poetry for sale on Amazon. Will test pilot tonight on sweetie.
The Pootriots are doing their level best to ensure she sells as many of the books as Amazon can Kindle.

http://thebetsyrossconservative.blogspo ... s.html?m=0

PS - Lots of crunchy goodness at the web page too. :rotflmao:
LOL they almost put me on the best seller list. :clap:

But, just for the record...I post the link to the book often. I am not embarrassed by it at all. It is not, nor ever was, a secret. BUT, lol I do prefer to NOT know WHO has read it if they are people I interact/engage with online :p :lol:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 15, 2016 11:12 am

The Malmö murder series (Inspector Anita Sundstrom Mysteries) by Torquil MacLeod. Set in modern Sweden and will appeal to those who like The Millennium Trilogy and the Kurt Wallander books. The first book is only $1.55 for Kindle and the later books only $3.55. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 15, 2016 11:32 am

OMG, there are racist RWNJs everywhere! Even in the Malmö mystery I am reading. :o The story is going along nicely, murdered banker, stolen painting, murdered advertising executive, then in Chapter 19 Inspector Sundström sits down to watch what she thinks is a Kurt Wallander DVD and this happens-
Anita sat back, clicked the remote control and settled back with her glass of wine for an hour or so of undemanding entertainment. Except what came on the screen was totally different. The man sitting in the old-fashioned, upright chair was somehow familiar. He spoke in English.

‘This is an important time for Sweden, and the work you have put in so far is vital in the battle against the enemies of Christ. You have so many in your midst. Your streets are full of the heathen, the tainted, the coloured, the depraved, and, of course, the malevolent Jews. Yet feeble governments have welcomed them into your country over many years, and what has Sweden got in return? Attacks on your womenfolk, the spread of drugs amongst your youth, and the theft of jobs from the native people of your beautiful land.’

It was the clerical dress and the northeast English accent that brought it back to her. He had been on TV the day before she went back to work. And here he was spouting out his anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, anti-everything sentiments. Anita watched with a mixture of appalled fascination and rising indignation as the cleric regurgitated his Holocaust denials, his railing against the tide of immigration and the Muslim threat from within Sweden’s borders. In short, he was attributing all Sweden’s ills to the minorities within the country’s society.

‘I know that it is important to you all that Sweden is restored to the proud, God-fearing country that you so love. But before that can become a reality, you must be at the forefront of a battle to cleanse your society of the alien races that infest your streets. Your hero, Gustavus Adolphus, said: “War is not a river or a lake, but an ocean of all that is evil.” Your war is here and now. Take courage, for the one true God is with you in your work.’
(MacLeod, Torquil (2013-12-18). Murder in Malmö: The second Inspector Anita Sundström mystery (Inspector Anita Sundström Mysteries Book 2) (Kindle Locations 1786-1788). Torquil MacLeod Books. Kindle Edition.)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun May 15, 2016 11:58 am

Anti- immigration/xenophobia is a theme that runs through the Wallander series of books, both in terms of why the criminals commit certain crimes and how the police respond. I'vre read a *ton* of Scandanavian noir -- it's a very common plot.

Return to “The Lounge”