What are you reading lately?

TollandRCR

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

A book that is a total surprise to me. I never expected to have tears streaming down my cheeks in a book by this author.

I think he is growing up. One hint :Barcelona and Sagrada Familia.

One quote:
“What happens next will depend on people’s ability to shed old beliefs and accept new paradigms,” Winston replied. “Edmond confided to me some time ago that his dream, ironically, was not to destroy religion… but rather to create a new religion— a universal belief that united people rather than dividing them. He thought if he could convince people to revere the natural universe and the laws of physics that created us, then every culture would celebrate the same Creation story rather than go to war over which of their antique myths was most accurate.”

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Gideon's Trumpet.

It was on most of the "before you go to law school, be sure to read" lists, but I didn't get to it before 1L started. Found an old paperback copy at a used bookstore a couple of weeks ago, and started reading it about 45 minutes ago. Just hit the end of Chapter 5, and swung by here to change my sig.

Can't believe it took me this long to find the book. It's absolutely superb.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I read House of God when it came out. My physician friends said it was as close to their experiences as possible but without the names.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 pm
I read House of God when it came out. My physician friends said it was as close to their experiences as possible but without the names.
House of God is a favorite of mine, and has been since I did EMS work. Copies were (and probably still are) common in EMS bases and ER staff lounges. My wife loves it, too, although she said that the family med residency was more touchy-feely than the book. I think we've worn out a couple of copies over the last 20 years.

Some of the Laws of the House were taught in my EMT training (including the first procedure at a cardiac arrest, which I've also used when teaching CPR). EMS also has it's own set of Laws (well, guidelines, really) that are a spinoff. It's been decades, but I still remember a few:

Air goes in and out. Blood goes around and around. All variations on this are bad.

If the patient is talking to you, the patient is not in v-fib, no matter what the monitor says.

If the child is quiet, be afraid.

Patients who crash in separate vehicles should go to the hospital in separate vehicles.

If it's after midnight at the scene of a MVA and there is no drunk, keep looking, you're missing a patient.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Hope: A Tragedy. Anne Frank is alive and living in the attic. Instead of praying to doG, try talking to his asshole devotees below.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm
Gideon's Trumpet.

It was on most of the "before you go to law school, be sure to read" lists, but I didn't get to it before 1L started. Found an old paperback copy at a used bookstore a couple of weeks ago, and started reading it about 45 minutes ago. Just hit the end of Chapter 5, and swung by here to change my sig.

Can't believe it took me this long to find the book. It's absolutely superb.
aka, why I love the Public Defender System, as underfunded and understaffed as it is. And I believe the movie based on the book starred Henry Fonda. I was fortunate to know the first public defender in central Florida. Character. Speaking of...where is Paul Lentz?

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm
A book that is a total surprise to me. I never expected to have tears streaming down my cheeks in a book by this author.

I think he is growing up. One hint :Barcelona and Sagrada Familia.

One quote:
“What happens next will depend on people’s ability to shed old beliefs and accept new paradigms,” Winston replied. “Edmond confided to me some time ago that his dream, ironically, was not to destroy religion… but rather to create a new religion— a universal belief that united people rather than dividing them. He thought if he could convince people to revere the natural universe and the laws of physics that created us, then every culture would celebrate the same Creation story rather than go to war over which of their antique myths was most accurate.”

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Will this make me happy, or will it make me sad because it won't ever be possible? I might look for this book with an old Books A million gift card.

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 am

At All Costs by Sam Moses

"How a crippled ship and two American merchant mariners turned the tide of World War II."

"Thrillingly told . . . the story of how the fates of nations can turn on the personal bravery of two ordinary men." Robert Kurson, author of Shadow Divers

Operation Pedestal: A convoy in August 1942 in which the SS Ohio, and her precious cargo of oil, were sent to relieve Malta, only weeks from surrendering to the Axis.

Churchill said of Malta: it must not fall and the convey must get through "at all costs." The convey was bombed, strafed, shelled and torpedoed by enemy naval and air forces, losing many merchant and capital naval ships including an air craft carrier.

The SS Ohio, manned by a British crew, was abandoned when sinking. Two US merchant mariners on other ships, both seriously injured when their ships were attacked, got aboard with other volunteers. The people of Malta, who were starving, were saved as the freighters brought in much needed food and other supplies. The British critical naval and air forces on Malta were revived with the oil and fuel brought by the Ohio and able to carry out and seriously interrupt communications and supplies going from Italy to Rommel in N. Africa.

Literally, two Americans turned the tide of the entire campaign in the Med in 1942.

289 pages, Afterward, Notes, Bibliography and Index; Map of Operation Pedestal.

Maida Saulte

Post by Maida Saulte » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Children Of Time by A. Tchaikovsky

Sci-Fi from an author new to me. Well written, thought provoking and an interesting premise. It's worth the time.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 pm

My reference is to a book that I found completely surprising; Origin by Dan Brown. That is, Dan Brown of DaVinci Code and other anti-Catholic books. Here the villain is a real, wealthy, and powerful schismatic entity.

Brown really needs to write about evangelicals and fundamentalists.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am

I read DZ Bill's The Blood of Patriots in one day! It was so much fun and a thriller with a courtroom scene included, I couldn't stop reading. My hubby got to hear sections of the book too. Bill's descriptions of Alaska are eye opening...and I have been there twice. I ordered a copy for my thriller reader brother's holiday gift.

If you are boycotting Amazon, you can order from BenBella at https://www.benbellabooks.com.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

The Kindle version of Malcolm Nance's Plot to Hack America is $0.99. I don't know if that's the normal price, but that is what it's selling for on Amazon right now. Add 7.49 for narration.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm

I just finished devouring Pete Souza's new book on the Obama years. It is wonderful. I had seen many of the photos before but there are also many new ones that I had not seen before. I wouldn't have minded if he had included more commentary, but there are some nice explanations and commentary included, especially for the most poignant of the photos. Highly recommended.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am
I read DZ Bill's The Blood of Patriots in one day! It was so much fun and a thriller with a courtroom scene included, I couldn't stop reading. My hubby got to hear sections of the book too. Bill's descriptions of Alaska are eye opening...and I have been there twice. I ordered a copy for my thriller reader brother's holiday gift.

If you are boycotting Amazon, you can order from BenBella at https://www.benbellabooks.com.
Same here (although it's taking me two days because I'm reading while doing lab work ;) )

Return to “The Lounge”