What are you reading lately?

TollandRCR

Re: What are you reading lately?

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

A book that is a total surprise to me. I never expected to have tears streaming down my cheeks in a book by this author.

I think he is growing up. One hint :Barcelona and Sagrada Familia.

One quote:
“What happens next will depend on people’s ability to shed old beliefs and accept new paradigms,” Winston replied. “Edmond confided to me some time ago that his dream, ironically, was not to destroy religion… but rather to create a new religion— a universal belief that united people rather than dividing them. He thought if he could convince people to revere the natural universe and the laws of physics that created us, then every culture would celebrate the same Creation story rather than go to war over which of their antique myths was most accurate.”

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Gideon's Trumpet.

It was on most of the "before you go to law school, be sure to read" lists, but I didn't get to it before 1L started. Found an old paperback copy at a used bookstore a couple of weeks ago, and started reading it about 45 minutes ago. Just hit the end of Chapter 5, and swung by here to change my sig.

Can't believe it took me this long to find the book. It's absolutely superb.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I read House of God when it came out. My physician friends said it was as close to their experiences as possible but without the names.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 pm
I read House of God when it came out. My physician friends said it was as close to their experiences as possible but without the names.
House of God is a favorite of mine, and has been since I did EMS work. Copies were (and probably still are) common in EMS bases and ER staff lounges. My wife loves it, too, although she said that the family med residency was more touchy-feely than the book. I think we've worn out a couple of copies over the last 20 years.

Some of the Laws of the House were taught in my EMT training (including the first procedure at a cardiac arrest, which I've also used when teaching CPR). EMS also has it's own set of Laws (well, guidelines, really) that are a spinoff. It's been decades, but I still remember a few:

Air goes in and out. Blood goes around and around. All variations on this are bad.

If the patient is talking to you, the patient is not in v-fib, no matter what the monitor says.

If the child is quiet, be afraid.

Patients who crash in separate vehicles should go to the hospital in separate vehicles.

If it's after midnight at the scene of a MVA and there is no drunk, keep looking, you're missing a patient.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Hope: A Tragedy. Anne Frank is alive and living in the attic. Instead of praying to doG, try talking to his asshole devotees below.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm
Gideon's Trumpet.

It was on most of the "before you go to law school, be sure to read" lists, but I didn't get to it before 1L started. Found an old paperback copy at a used bookstore a couple of weeks ago, and started reading it about 45 minutes ago. Just hit the end of Chapter 5, and swung by here to change my sig.

Can't believe it took me this long to find the book. It's absolutely superb.
aka, why I love the Public Defender System, as underfunded and understaffed as it is. And I believe the movie based on the book starred Henry Fonda. I was fortunate to know the first public defender in central Florida. Character. Speaking of...where is Paul Lentz?

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm
A book that is a total surprise to me. I never expected to have tears streaming down my cheeks in a book by this author.

I think he is growing up. One hint :Barcelona and Sagrada Familia.

One quote:
“What happens next will depend on people’s ability to shed old beliefs and accept new paradigms,” Winston replied. “Edmond confided to me some time ago that his dream, ironically, was not to destroy religion… but rather to create a new religion— a universal belief that united people rather than dividing them. He thought if he could convince people to revere the natural universe and the laws of physics that created us, then every culture would celebrate the same Creation story rather than go to war over which of their antique myths was most accurate.”

Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Will this make me happy, or will it make me sad because it won't ever be possible? I might look for this book with an old Books A million gift card.

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 am

At All Costs by Sam Moses

"How a crippled ship and two American merchant mariners turned the tide of World War II."

"Thrillingly told . . . the story of how the fates of nations can turn on the personal bravery of two ordinary men." Robert Kurson, author of Shadow Divers

Operation Pedestal: A convoy in August 1942 in which the SS Ohio, and her precious cargo of oil, were sent to relieve Malta, only weeks from surrendering to the Axis.

Churchill said of Malta: it must not fall and the convey must get through "at all costs." The convey was bombed, strafed, shelled and torpedoed by enemy naval and air forces, losing many merchant and capital naval ships including an air craft carrier.

The SS Ohio, manned by a British crew, was abandoned when sinking. Two US merchant mariners on other ships, both seriously injured when their ships were attacked, got aboard with other volunteers. The people of Malta, who were starving, were saved as the freighters brought in much needed food and other supplies. The British critical naval and air forces on Malta were revived with the oil and fuel brought by the Ohio and able to carry out and seriously interrupt communications and supplies going from Italy to Rommel in N. Africa.

Literally, two Americans turned the tide of the entire campaign in the Med in 1942.

289 pages, Afterward, Notes, Bibliography and Index; Map of Operation Pedestal.

Maida Saulte

Post by Maida Saulte » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Children Of Time by A. Tchaikovsky

Sci-Fi from an author new to me. Well written, thought provoking and an interesting premise. It's worth the time.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 pm

My reference is to a book that I found completely surprising; Origin by Dan Brown. That is, Dan Brown of DaVinci Code and other anti-Catholic books. Here the villain is a real, wealthy, and powerful schismatic entity.

Brown really needs to write about evangelicals and fundamentalists.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am

I read DZ Bill's The Blood of Patriots in one day! It was so much fun and a thriller with a courtroom scene included, I couldn't stop reading. My hubby got to hear sections of the book too. Bill's descriptions of Alaska are eye opening...and I have been there twice. I ordered a copy for my thriller reader brother's holiday gift.

If you are boycotting Amazon, you can order from BenBella at https://www.benbellabooks.com.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

The Kindle version of Malcolm Nance's Plot to Hack America is $0.99. I don't know if that's the normal price, but that is what it's selling for on Amazon right now. Add 7.49 for narration.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 pm

I just finished devouring Pete Souza's new book on the Obama years. It is wonderful. I had seen many of the photos before but there are also many new ones that I had not seen before. I wouldn't have minded if he had included more commentary, but there are some nice explanations and commentary included, especially for the most poignant of the photos. Highly recommended.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am
I read DZ Bill's The Blood of Patriots in one day! It was so much fun and a thriller with a courtroom scene included, I couldn't stop reading. My hubby got to hear sections of the book too. Bill's descriptions of Alaska are eye opening...and I have been there twice. I ordered a copy for my thriller reader brother's holiday gift.

If you are boycotting Amazon, you can order from BenBella at https://www.benbellabooks.com.
Same here (although it's taking me two days because I'm reading while doing lab work ;) )

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:35 am

Dead Wake - Erik Larson

From the bestselling author and master of narrative nonfiction comes the enthralling story of the sinking of the Lusitania
On May 1, 1915, with WWI entering its tenth month, a luxury ocean liner as richly appointed as an English country house sailed out of New York, bound for Liverpool, carrying a record number of children and infants. The passengers were surprisingly at ease, even though Germany had declared the seas around Britain to be a war zone. For months, German U-boats had brought terror to the North Atlantic. But the Lusitania was one of the era's great transatlantic "Greyhounds"--the fastest liner then in service--and her captain, William Thomas Turner, placed tremendous faith in the gentlemanly strictures of warfare that for a century had kept civilian ships safe from attack.
Germany, however, was determined to change the rules of the game, and Walther Schwieger, the captain of Unterseeboot-20, was happy to oblige. Meanwhile, an ultra-secret British intelligence unit tracked Schwieger's U-boat, but told no one. As U-20 and the Lusitania made their way toward Liverpool, an array of forces both grand and achingly small--hubris, a chance fog, a closely guarded secret, and more--all converged to produce one of the great disasters of history.
It is a story that many of us think we know but don't, and Erik Larson tells it thrillingly, switching between hunter and hunted while painting a larger portrait of America at the height of the Progressive Era. Full of glamour and suspense, Dead Wake brings to life a cast of evocative characters, from famed Boston bookseller Charles Lauriat to pioneering female architect Theodate Pope to President Woodrow Wilson, a man lost to grief, dreading the widening war but also captivated by the prospect of new love.
Gripping and important, Dead Wake captures the sheer drama and emotional power of a disaster whose intimate details and true meaning have long been obscured by history.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:13 pm

About ten years ago, a friend visited Machu Picchu, the famous Inca ruins in Peru. I don't think I'd ever heard of it before, but since then I've had a certain fascination with it, and admired many pics of it like the one below.

Anyway, I'm now reading Mark Adams' Turn Right at Machu Picchu, in which he and a team of amusing characters retrace the steps of Hiram Bingham - the guy who found the ruins back in 1911. Very enjoyable, and it has me thinking I'll make my own visit there someday.
machu picchu.jpg

To my delight, I've discovered a nonstop flight from Washington Dulles can get to Lima in less time than it takes to get to Rome (a flight I've taken many times). For some reason I thought the flight would take much longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Am I being detained?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 pm

One of my favorite places in the world. I always imagined myself down on the flat plain, but never got there. Spent the time instead climbing up and down steps to look down over it. That was not good for my fear of heights. I was okay most of the time, but had a hell of a time climbing down at the end. My bus left without me.

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the recommendation.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:35 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 pm
One of my favorite places in the world. I always imagined myself down on the flat plain, but never got there. Spent the time instead climbing up and down steps to look down over it. That was not good for my fear of heights. I was okay most of the time, but had a hell of a time climbing down at the end. My bus left without me.

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the recommendation.
Off Topic
That's the worst part for me, too! I once helped a boyfriend with something up on his roof and it took hours to get me down.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm

My husband is flying out on July 1 to meet our oldest daughter for 9 days in Machu Picchu. It's a life-long dream of his, and she's always up for travel. This trip is between her stints in Ecuador and Brazil and there are much worse ways to spend a summer vacation. As for me, I'll be spending those 9 days in NOLA and on the beach.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm
My husband is flying out on July 1 to meet our oldest daughter for 9 days in Machu Picchu. It's a life-long dream of his, and she's always up for travel. This trip is between her stints in Ecuador and Brazil and there are much worse ways to spend a summer vacation. As for me, I'll be spending those 9 days in NOLA and on the beach.
Machu Picchu had long been a dream of mine, too. I would love to go back, but there have been too many tourists there and it's taking a toll, so I decided once had to be enough. They will enjoy it. There was something very spiritual/mystical about it, too. Some people say it's from all the quartz in the stone there. Or maybe it was just that I could breathe easily* again after La Paz, Bolivia, Lake Titicaca, and Cusco, which are all about 4,000 feet higher. MP is at about 8,000 feet, which was wonderful.

NOLA and a beach isn't all bad! And you can do lots of reading (getting back on topic ;)).

*CoQ10 is great for helping to breathe at those heights.

arayder

Post by arayder » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Robert Caro's The Years of Lyndon Johnson: The Path To Power.

Fiona

Post by Fiona » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Picked up In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I am surprised it took me this long to read it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Graphic novel Marvel 1602, by a convoluted route.

Came across an artist who does superheroes and Disney characters as if they were in the renaissance. http://collider.com/superhero-cosplay-i ... naissance/

A friend mentioned that those stories were already written — by Neil Gaiman, in comic book format. Only $3.75 on Kindle!

Awesome, even with my rudimentary grasp of the Marvel universe.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure. The Nazis have occupied Paris. Jews are disappearing left and right. A wealthy Frenchman, Manet, who is collaborating with the Germans in building factories for war production, approaches the younger architect and entices him with fat design contracts for the factories, the only building design contracts to be had. Lucien consoles himself with the idea that he's not really building factories for the Nazis, but for a post-war French economy, temporarily delayed. Cozying up with Nazis requires this kind of self-delusion for some, although as Belfoure makes clear in remarkably slender characterizations, it comes a lot easier to others.

Mostly the Parisians look down on collaborators, while looking away from what is happening to French Jews, because life is very hard for everyone and because the Nazis don't mind slaughtering thousands of French for a single act of discovered resistance, and because who gives a shit, they're Jews. The wealthy industrialist, Manet, is something different. He is also financing and operating the equivalent of an underground railroad. He draws Lucien into the side work of designing ingenious hiding places for Jews, like priest holes, in apartments all over Paris.

This is a very interesting novel written by an architect.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:47 am

I agree, it's excellent. Another one of his books I liked very much is The Devil in the White City about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.
Fiona wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm
Picked up In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I am surprised it took me this long to read it.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Return to “The Lounge”