Virtual Drunk Tank

Estiveo

Re: Virtual Drunk Tank

Post by Estiveo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:20 pm

Back when I could still drink I handed out Halloween candy whilst sipping beefeater martinis over dry ice.

Image Image Image Image Image

phelana

Post by phelana » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:29 pm

Estiveo wrote:Back when I could still drink I handed out Halloween candy whilst sipping beefeater martinis over dry ice.
I wouldn't turn one of those diwn right now. Doing the hybrid Dr. costume. Leather jacket and multi color scarf. Still shivering.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

phelana

Post by phelana » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 pm

And there's a tree frog croaking in the planter beside me.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:36 pm

phelana wrote:And there's a tree frog croaking in the planter beside me.
Will the funeral be open casket?

:confused:

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

phelana

Post by phelana » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Plutodog wrote:
phelana wrote:And there's a tree frog croaking in the planter beside me.
Will the funeral be open casket?

:confused:
Hmmm I haven't read his last will and testament to determine his wishes yet.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 am

:P

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

SparklyFlitter
Occupation: Mom to a fourteen year old "future lawyer", substitute teacher & former Silicon Valley Shark

Post by SparklyFlitter » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:20 pm

phelana wrote:Is it bad form to drink wine while handing out candy?
When the child was young we used to load up the wagon with libations (kid had to walk) and cruise the neighborhood. Every third house or so provided liquid "treats" for the adults suffering the "trick or treat" jubilee. Sad that no one does this anymore, we've been outnumbered by young parents who apparently frown upon slightly tipsy chaperones! I offered a beer to a dad who was herding an unusually large group of knee biters to our door, and you would have thought that I had kicked his dog. Sad! :geezertowel:

phelana

Post by phelana » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:02 pm

SparklyFlitter wrote:
phelana wrote:Is it bad form to drink wine while handing out candy?
When the child was young we used to load up the wagon with libations (kid had to walk) and cruise the neighborhood. Every third house or so provided liquid "treats" for the adults suffering the "trick or treat" jubilee. Sad that no one does this anymore, we've been outnumbered by young parents who apparently frown upon slightly tipsy chaperones! I offered a beer to a dad who was herding an unusually large group of knee biters to our door, and you would have thought that I had kicked his dog. Sad! :geezertowel:
I hated most pregnancy and parenting books. They make women paranoid and feel like we're awful people. But I found one that was tongue in cheek but very good as well, The Three Martini Play Date.

Then some woman was drinking and killed the five or so kids in her mini van and it all became wrong to even mention. A friend in Australia posted a fundraiser for his school...it involved wine. I was so jealous.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:14 pm

phelana,

I was in New York last weekend and Jeebus Chris was there a lot of drinking. :shock: When no one is driving it is a whole different culture. There's nothing wrong with parents modeling responsible drinking in front of their (or others) kids. It seems like this would help them make better decisions themselves when it comes to drinking. The US is pretty screwed up regarding how we deal with alcohol and children. *sigh*

Anyway, just cruising through the Drunk Tank---I'm not drunk but I am pretty high (completely legally---I got my "green card" as my dad's caregiver last week :towel: ).

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

phelana

Post by phelana » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:43 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:phelana,

I was in New York last weekend and Jeebus Chris was there a lot of drinking. :shock: When no one is driving it is a whole different culture. There's nothing wrong with parents modeling responsible drinking in front of their (or others) kids. It seems like this would help them make better decisions themselves when it comes to drinking. The US is pretty screwed up regarding how we deal with alcohol and children. *sigh*

Anyway, just cruising through the Drunk Tank---I'm not drunk but I am pretty high (completely legally---I got my "green card" as my dad's caregiver last week :towel: ).
I agree. I grew up in a house where when dad got home from work (which was way after dark during hay season) someone would bring him a beer or a glass with one ice cube and pour him a whiskey. We brewed wine. We would drink wine with our parents. Drinking wasn't a mystery to me. It wasn't a forbidden thing either.

I think making it such a taboo only encourages the college binging.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Growing up in my mom's Italian family we were taught 'responsible' drinking. At Sunday dinner the kids got wine with water- mostly water at the beginning (7),all wine by the time the child is 16. This is the way they do it in Italy, they said. No one gets falling down drunk in Italy, they said, like they do here.

Except...every single aunt, uncle and cousin from that side of the family is an alcoholic. No, they don't fall down drunk, but that's because I don't think there is an hour in the day when they are more drunk than another. Soused from dawn to dusk. :lol: They've learned to keep their balance.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

SparklyFlitter
Occupation: Mom to a fourteen year old "future lawyer", substitute teacher & former Silicon Valley Shark

Post by SparklyFlitter » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:04 am

kate520 wrote:Growing up in my mom's Italian family we were taught 'responsible' drinking. At Sunday dinner the kids got wine with water- mostly water at the beginning (7),all wine by the time the child is 16. This is the way they do it in Italy, they said. No one gets falling down drunk in Italy, they said, like they do here.

Except...every single aunt, uncle and cousin from that side of the family is an alcoholic. No, they don't fall down drunk, but that's because I don't think there is an hour in the day when they are more drunk than another. Soused from dawn to dusk. :lol: They've learned to keep their balance.
:rotflmao: coming from an extremely large (150+ first cousins!), and being only 3rd generation, I can attest to that. Every generation gets a "watering down" so to speak, but I still take flak from my uncles at holiday time for not giving my son wine. My generation drinks socially (late 40's-50's), but never to the point of excess.
It seems that (at least in my neighborhood) the younger parents don't understand how to moderate themselves. For example, the father with the herd of kiddos on Halloween...he is either offended others are having a libation, or falling shitfaced into the neighborhood pool at the annual swim team fundraiser. There is no inbetween for him. Our "generation" seem to have a better grasp than the "all or nothing" mindset of the youngers, they don't seem to understand the concept of having a few cocktails then being done, as opposed to drinking until you drop. Le sigh...no class! :smoking:

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:38 pm

I am going to break out the 32 oz. Slurpee cup and make one mofo big martini and drown my shock and sorrow over the election results. :smoking: :dazed: :splat:

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Lunaluz wrote:I am going to break out the 32 oz. Slurpee cup and make one mofo big martini and drown my shock and sorrow over the election results. :smoking: :dazed: :splat:
I'm with ya.
:like:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:50 pm

If I could drink, I would too. But no alcohol for a bit.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:55 pm

Anyone got any recommendations for a diabetic teatottler?

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 am

Suranis wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a diabetic teatottler?
Water?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:32 am

Yep getting drunk on water right now.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:57 am

By a fortuitous coincidence, the same election that vaulted Trump into the Presidency also legalized marihuana in several states.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:11 am

I finally turned on the telly. Samantha Bee. I figured I could handle that. And I did. Next up, Conan. Maybe. I have trouble sleeping, what with pain and all. Usually I leave the tv on at low volume, but not last night. Scanning the listings, I think tonight I'll set the channel to endless, sappy Christmas made for tv movies. Beats reality.

Next up - take a shower!

I'm returning to functionality. Wish me luck! And dear Fogbowers, thanks for being here. :bighug:

Now where did I leave that last bit of wine? :confused:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Suranis wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for a diabetic teatottler?
Move to Washington, Colorado, Oregon, or California...the "left" coast.
:smoking:

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Lani wrote:I finally turned on the telly. Samantha Bee. I figured I could handle that. And I did. Next up, Conan. Maybe. I have trouble sleeping, what with pain and all. Usually I leave the tv on at low volume, but not last night. Scanning the listings, I think tonight I'll set the channel to endless, sappy Christmas made for tv movies. Beats reality.

Next up - take a shower!

I'm returning to functionality. Wish me luck! And dear Fogbowers, thanks for being here. :bighug:

Now where did I leave that last bit of wine? :confused:
The early days after surgery seem like living in a slomo world. Routine tasks become world changing events which broaden your horizons. Take care, Lani. :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Geritol

Post by Geritol » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:23 pm

I've been in France since November 1. I believed the last week of the campaign would be ugly and so it would be nice to take a vacation outside the US. In that sense it worked. We had very little media, just some emails and no television. Got lots of emails from friends in the US saying how lucky we were to be out of the country.

We were in Paris when the election results came. I felt as if someone close to me had died suddenly. There are more distractions here than I would have found at home and have kept away from my normal media haunts, including the FB. I still haven't read about what happened or why. Maybe at some point I will.

We come back this weekend and I think I will stay away from political news for a while.

I hope you forgive my posting this in the drunk tank, since I don't drink. But my wife has been drinking for both of us, and we live in a community property state, so I feel I have a right to half of her inebriation.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:46 am

Geritol wrote:I've been in France since November 1. I believed the last week of the campaign would be ugly and so it would be nice to take a vacation outside the US. In that sense it worked. We had very little media, just some emails and no television. Got lots of emails from friends in the US saying how lucky we were to be out of the country.

We were in Paris when the election results came. I felt as if someone close to me had died suddenly. There are more distractions here than I would have found at home and have kept away from my normal media haunts, including the FB. I still haven't read about what happened or why. Maybe at some point I will.

We come back this weekend and I think I will stay away from political news for a while.

I hope you forgive my posting this in the drunk tank, since I don't drink. But my wife has been drinking for both of us, and we live in a community property state, so I feel I have a right to half of her inebriation.
I'm retweeting a lot of cat and dog pix lately. And on my FB

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Ok it is now 11/29, things have not gotten better, I do not feel better. I feel worse, his picks for his Cabinet are terrifying, the Trump voters are emboldened and some are acting out all the ugly things in words and deeds that should be back in the locked closet. I can only hope he is a one termer, so much progress can be eroded. Banana Republic. :bag: :smoking: :sharky;

Return to “The Lounge”