💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by bob »

New Turtle wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:58 pm It may have been mentioned already, but there were multiple names on the list for Pro Tem, so if he resigns or gets kicked out, the clerk would give the next name on the list.
I recall reading, if the Speaker pro tem. is confirmed (i.e., affirmatively voted into that position), then the Speaker pro tem. could propagate a new list of pro tem.'s. (As could the next actual Speaker.)

The Speaker pro tem. was created for continuity-of-government purposes; the possibility of leadership and succession shenanigans likely wasn't considered at the time.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... n-speaker/
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Monday that he is willing to resume serving as House speaker if enough of the Republicans who voted in favor of his ouster last week are open to his reinstatement.

“Whatever the conference wants, I will do,” McCarthy said during an interview on Hugh Hewitt’s syndicated radio program when asked about a possible return to the job. He echoed that sentiment hours later at a news conference largely focused on the Israel-Hamas war.

McCarthy made the comments as the House Republican conference prepared to meet for the first time since Tuesday, when eight Republicans joined all Democrats present in voting for McCarthy’s removal. At that point, McCarthy said he would not run for a leadership role again, saying last week: “I will not run for speaker again. I’ll have the conference pick somebody else.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Monday that he is willing to resume serving as House speaker if enough of the Republicans who voted in favor of his ouster last week are open to his reinstatement.
Translation: McCarthy, after a failed Faustian deal with the Freedum Caucus, would like a second helping of humiliation.

(I don't see how the recent carnage in Israel would change the calculations.)
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

noblepa wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:15 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:26 am I thought I'd read that as the temporary speaker he have almost the same powers as the regular dude and that they could conceivably go until Jan of 25 without actually having to elect a new one and it wouldn't affect getting their business done. This sounds totally different.
I definitely remember hearing that, as well. Someone questioned whether the house was back to the situation they were in in January, when absolutely no business could be conducted until a new speaker was elected.

Someone else replied that the difference is that, in January, since it was a new congress, with a newly minted Republican majority, there was no speaker or anyone authorized to act as speaker. The new rules that were adopted in the wake of McCarthy's election specified that the designated member, in this case, Rep. McHenry had all the authority of the actual speaker.
McHenry’s authority is determined by House Rule I, Clause 8(b)(3), which was put in place in 2003 and which reads, in part:

“In the case of a vacancy in the Office of Speaker, the next Member on the list described in subdivision (B) shall act as Speaker pro tempore until the election of a Speaker or a Speaker pro tempore. Pending such election the Member acting as Speaker pro tempore may exercise such authorities of the Office of Speaker as may be necessary and appropriate to that end.”
Of course, McHenry may chose inaction, or be brow-beaten into inaction, using the excuse that "I'm only acting speaker". IOW, he may be too timid to push the untested limits of the authority given him by the new rules. After all, if he allows a bill to come to the floor, or, heaven forbid, allows negotiations with the WH and the dems regarding a budget, he may find himself persona non grata when the new, permanent, speaker is finally elected. So, he may chose to do nothing, even if the rules say he can.

No.

In January the House had not been organized, there were no rules.

The Speaker Pro Tem is a law, not just floor rules and he is operating under the rules the Republicans adopted after they elected McCarthy.

Every 2 years when they swear in a anew House, the new house has to then adopt rules. The old rules don't carry over. But mostly the old rules, with the odd change, are just readopted.

not this year, the Klown Kar Kaukus demanded a lot of things, but the point is, until a Speaker is elected in January every other year, there are no rules save the Constitutional requirement that a Speaker be elected. Since they already had rules from January when they diecided to burn the house down last week, those rules are still in effect. But the House Floor Rules only apply for the 2 year term, the Law that provides for the Speaker Pro Tem is an actual law and is in effect until they decide to change it, it won't otherwise expire.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Guy who was elected on the 15th ballot and who was thrown out so Gaetz could fund-raise off being the guy who threw him out, is the guy to unify the house.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Tell me Jordan can't get enough votes to be speaker.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

He'd be a good fit for the job, tbh. 'Course, the job is not what it used to be. :smoking:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Entropy increases.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:34 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... n-speaker/

“Whatever the conference wants, I will do,” McCarthy said during an interview on Hugh Hewitt’s syndicated radio program when asked about a possible return to the job. He echoed that sentiment hours later at a news conference largely focused on the Israel-Hamas war.

McCarthy made the comments as the House Republican conference prepared to meet for the first time since Tuesday, when eight Republicans joined all Democrats present in voting for McCarthy’s removal. At that point, McCarthy said he would not run for a leadership role again, saying last week: “I will not run for speaker again. I’ll have the conference pick somebody else.”
lol okay kev totally going to happen...
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://punchbowl.news/article/house-go ... aker-race/
House Republicans are entering a critical two-day stretch in their quest to elect a new speaker, and they’re mired in a state of total confusion.

Neither candidate — House Majority Leader Steve Scalise nor Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) — has anywhere near the requisite support to win a majority inside the Republican conference or on the House floor.

During a meeting Monday night in the basement of the Capitol, Republicans aired recriminations from last week’s vote to oust Kevin McCarthy as speaker while scoffing down a pungent barbecue dinner.

Three GOP lawmakers — Rep. John Duarte of California plus Reps. Carlos Giménez and John Rutherford of Florida — stood up during the meeting to vow that they’d only vote for McCarthy for the chamber’s top job. Rutherford even declared he’d vote for McCarthy on the House floor no matter who emerges as the party’s nominee for speaker.

McCarthy, who didn’t attend the session Monday night, has said he’s not a candidate, although he continues to leave the door open slightly to a possible return.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:44 am Tell me Jordan can't get enough votes to be speaker.
It appears none of three leading candidates can command a majority of their conference.

And it is doubtful that, even once the conference settles on a candidate, that candidate will receive a majority of House votes.

There's grumbling about raising the threshold to move to vacate the chair, but I doubt that rule change could get passed without Democratic help, and that too seems presently unlikely.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

NY Times Headline

"Democrats in Disarray" :shrug:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

George Takei :verified: 🏳️‍🌈🖖🏽
@georgetakei@universeodon.com
I suppose when the Republicans are choosing a new speaker, white smoke will waft from the closed-door session where they are holding secret votes. Perhaps they should just wave a white flag instead?

:lol:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... rcna119116
Four of the former Ohio State University wrestlers who have accused Rep. Jim Jordan of failing to protect them from a sexual predator when he was the team’s assistant coach in the 1980s and '90s said Tuesday he has no business being the next speaker of the House.

“Do you really want a guy in that job who chose not to stand up for his guys?” said former OSU wrestler Mike Schyck, one of the hundreds of former athletes and students who say they were sexually abused by school doctor Richard Strauss and have sued the university. “Is that the kind of character trait you want for a House speaker?”
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:36 am https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... rcna119116
Four of the former Ohio State University wrestlers who have accused Rep. Jim Jordan of failing to protect them from a sexual predator when he was the team’s assistant coach in the 1980s and '90s said Tuesday he has no business being the next speaker of the House.

“Do you really want a guy in that job who chose not to stand up for his guys?” said former OSU wrestler Mike Schyck, one of the hundreds of former athletes and students who say they were sexually abused by school doctor Richard Strauss and have sued the university. “Is that the kind of character trait you want for a House speaker?”
For Republican Speaker of the House? It's not disqualifying, it's an asset!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:18 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:36 am https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... rcna119116

For Republican Speaker of the House? It's not disqualifying, it's an asset!
Dennis Hastert (R-Pervlandia) still holds the record for longest serving Speaker of the House. I’m not confident that Gym is enough of a pervert for most Republican House members, though, so a Jordan speakership might be short-lived.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

GOP nominates Scalise 113 to 99.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Some reports that there will be a vote on the House floor at 3 pm EDT.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Also heard they won't come to the floor unless they can get 217 (or whatever the number is today) in caucus first.

You pays your money....
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NYT now says House will convene at 3.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:39 pm Also heard they won't come to the floor unless they can get 217 (or whatever the number is today) in caucus first.

You pays your money....
Well, I doubt 217 is going to happen anytime soon. Another R shitshow, coming up!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:42 pm NYT now says House will convene at 3.
That has been the plan since yesterday. I was curious yesterday about what they would do, so I was watching at 11 AM when the Keebler Elf convened the House and then immediately went into recess untl, as he said, 3 PM today.

Yes, I was watching an empty House yesterday morning. Sometimes life is like that.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The 99 was for Gym Jordan. So only 213 Reps voted for one of them. If those who didn't voted for the Dem Candidate (stop laughing!) he would be speaker.
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

There are presently 221 Republicans, 212 Democrats, and two vacancies. 217 is the number for a majority (unless there are non-voters or "present" votes).

So the Republicans can afford only four sore losers. If there are more than that, it'll be concessions time or the continued chaos.

I'm wondering if those nine Republicans who didn't vote in their party's primary did so because they intend to deny anybody a majority "with a clear conscience."
Image ImageImage

Return to “Current Politics”