The Turd Known as "Lord Conrad Black" ordered back to federal prison

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:20 pm

I have nothing particularly noteworthy to say on the subject, I just want to =)) about it. This toad renounced his Canadian citizenship in order to accept a completely undeserved lordship.His vanity cost him time in federal prison, because after he was convicted for his crimes, he desperately tried to do his time in Canada. They no longer wanted him, as he was no longer a citizen.I suppose he can't be called a traitor, as he didn't renounce his citizenship to help an enemy, but instead for his own vanity. I am, however, glad to see him punished for it.[/break1]canadianbusiness.com/blog/business_ethics/31120--the-wages-of-black-s-defiance]The Wages of Black's Defiance

Hektor

Post by Hektor » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:21 pm

My heart bleeds purple peanut butter for Lord Black of Crossharbour. He gave up his citizenship so he could be styled a British Lord, then wanted it back because it might lighten his sentence.

bob

Re: The Turd Known as "Lord Conrad Black" ordered back to federal prison

Post by bob » Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm

WaPo: Trump pardons billionaire friend Conrad Black, who wrote a book about him:
President Trump gave a full pardon to a longtime friend who last year wrote a glowing book about Trump’s successes.

Conrad Black was convicted in 2007 on fraud charges, including alleged embezzlement, and obstruction of justice. He served more than three years in prison and was deported to his native Canada after he was released in 2012. He was barred from returning to the United States for 30 years.

The White House said in a statement that Black was “entirely deserving” of the pardon. In listing Black’s accomplishments, it mentions biographies Black wrote about presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Richard Nixon, but not his tome on Trump.

On the first page of that book, “Donald J. Trump: A President Like No Other,” Black writes: “Like the country he represents, Donald Trump possesses the optimism to persevere and succeed, the confidence to affront tradition and convention, a genius for spectacle, and a firm belief in common sense and the common man.”

Black, whose media company owned the Chicago Sun Times, at one time partnered with Trump to build Trump Tower in Chicago, but Trump later bought him out.

In its statement, the White House offered a list of household names who have vouched for Black’s character, including Henry Kissinger, Elton John and Rush Limbaugh.

In addition to his book, Black frequently writes columns praising Trump and considers the president a friend.

Trump was quoted in a 2004 Vanity Fair article about Black’s legal troubles, predicting Black would bounce back.

“In 1990 or 1991, when I owed billions of dollars, some people shied away from me,” Trump said. “And now everyone is kissing my a-- and begging me to sit at their right-hand side at the table. Conrad is a tremendously strong man who will overcome these obstacles in the end. He will prevail.”
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Getting mad at Trump for doing things like this is like getting mad at a dog for shitting on the sidewalk. It's just how they are. The fact that the vast bulk of the Republican Party is fine with him doing this kind of crap, on the other hand...
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:13 pm

make your own pick
Here’s the background to Conrad Black’s conviction that Trump wiped away
Published: May 16, 2019 2:34 p.m. ET

Introduction to Black’s Trump biography says the former media mogul ‘knows what it is like to be targeted by an overzealous prosecutor’

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres ... 2019-05-16

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:15 pm

consider the source
Matt Gurney: What Conrad Black's critics weirdly ignore
Whatever you may think of Black, he has a strong case to make that the only two charges that remained standing against him shouldn't have stood at all

Matt Gurney
May 16, 2019 4:00 PM EDT

After the news of U.S. President Donald Trump’s pardoning of Conrad Black broke on Wednesday night, I watched the reaction online with keen interest. Twitter is not a reflection of society at large, but it has its uses. And on Wednesday, I wanted to see how many people lamenting Black’s pardon bothered to consider, or even mention, whether the convictions he’d been imprisoned for were just in the first place.

Oddly, it didn’t really seem to come up.

Other things did, of course, in the great outpouring of dislike for Black. His outspoken support of Trump was oft-cited. So was his wealth, and his personal connections (including a long-time association with the president). The fact that he was white seemed a popular talking point. His fondness for long words also came up a lot.

I get it. I truly do. Black undeniably has advantages (privileges, in the vernacular), including a president who is no doubt unusually susceptible to flattery. But the critical issue here isn’t whether Black getting a pardon is fair. The issue is, or should be, whether it’s just.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt-g ... dly-ignore

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm

consider the source
Jonathan Kay: Conrad Black stuck to his guns, and in the end, he won
I do think Black’s admiration of Trump is genuine because it's entirely consistent with his other intellectual fixations

Jonathan Kay
May 16, 2019 5:01 PM EDT

When I began work at Conrad Black’s National Post in 1998, one of my assigned tasks was to occasionally drive home my boss, editorial-board chief John O’Sullivan, to his Toronto quarters — which happened to be in Conrad Black’s unusually large house. I was then driving a nine-year-old Volkswagen Golf whose fan belt made a high-pitched shrieking noise in cold weather. And the footmen of the Black estate could not usher me off the property fast enough once I’d discharged my passenger.

Eventually, I advanced in the world to such extent that I would sometimes be invited into the house as a guest in my own right. By this time, my host’s circumstances had become more diminished, and so there were fewer footmen. On the most recent occasion, Black even greeted me at the door personally — alongside two of the biggest dogs I’d ever seen. I later learned that the breed is Hungarian Kuvasz, which according to Wikipedia, is “a livestock guardian (which) kill(s) wolves, coyotes, and other predators, and this instinct remains intact in the modern dog. Handlers should be alert to signs of tension, and intervene before a dangerous situation develops.”

“Be very still and let them see that you are not a threat,” said Black as the larger of the two snarled at me in the entry hall. The smaller specimen, which I instinctively feared most, stared at me with a completely flat expression, much like the understated mob-movie sociopath who does the actual dirty work once the capo gives the head nod.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jonath ... end-he-won

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Largest dogs -- ha ha ha. A large Kuvasz male is approx.110-115 pounds. My last two puppies: Berkeley, a 185 lb Great Dane, and Bruin (you can my undergrad and law schools), a 225 lb English Mastiff.

And we must all feel for Black, being so diminished that at some point he had to reduce the number of his footmen.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Return to “The Lounge”