Recipes!

Slim Cognito

Re: Recipes!

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Instead of a word salad, I made a trump word sundae. Alpha Bits, vanilla ice cream, Bosco's (real) chocolate syrup, whipped cream and Irish Cream.
60932803_10210694457476761_1501570731899617280_n.jpg
I've made a similar trump impeach-mint sundae substituting Thin Mints for the Alpha Bits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Did smoked salmon for the fist time today.
It must have been good, because it is all eaten (except for a piece I saved for a neighbor)

Was a little strange, because the salmon filet had no skin.. so had to do it on foil, which I think ended up giving a very slight off taste.

Did a light brine of about 1TB kosher salt, 1TB dill weed, and 1/3 cup maple syrup.
Slather that on both sides, put it in a ziploc and put it in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, wipe the excess off and leave the salmon in the fridge on a rack to develop a bit of a pellicle. I did about 2 hours.

Fire up the (electric) smoker, with a mix of apple and cherry wood, to 150F.

What happens from here on out depends on the fish, the smoker, the weather, sunspots, etc. I smoked for about 3 hours at an actual smoker temp of about 145F, then started basting with (real) maple syrup every half hour. Brought the smoker up to 165F, still keeping the smoke going. Pulled it at 140F internal temp, a couple hours longer.
smoked_salmon_IMGP2201.jpg
Will do again, maybe as soon as this weekend ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm

YUM!

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 pm

tek wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:52 pm
It must have been good, because it is all eaten (except for a piece I saved for a neighbor)

Was a little strange, because the salmon filet had no skin.. so had to do it on foil, which I think ended up giving a very slight off taste.

Did a light brine of about 1TB kosher salt, 1TB dill weed, and 1/3 cup maple syrup.
Slather that on both sides, put it in a ziploc and put it in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, wipe the excess off and leave the salmon in the fridge on a rack to develop a bit of a pellicle. I did about 2 hours.

Fire up the (electric) smoker, with a mix of apple and cherry wood, to 150F.

What happens from here on out depends on the fish, the smoker, the weather, sunspots, etc. I smoked for about 3 hours at an actual smoker temp of about 145F, then started basting with (real) maple syrup every half hour. Brought the smoker up to 165F, still keeping the smoke going. Pulled it at 140F internal temp, a couple hours longer.

smoked_salmon_IMGP2201.jpg

Will do again, maybe as soon as this weekend ;)
One suggestion to avoid the acidic foil taste - crinkle up the foil layer (big wrinkles are best) under the meat so that it's not in flat contact. That also lets more smoke and marinade come into contact with the flesh. 8-)
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 pm
One suggestion to avoid the acidic foil taste - crinkle up the foil layer (big wrinkles are best) under the meat so that it's not in flat contact. That also lets more smoke and marinade come into contact with the flesh. 8-)
Good Idea..
Normally I'd do skin-side-down on the smoker rack..
I was taken aback by a filet with no skin.. The other members of the household have since been instructed ;)
There's no way back
from there to here

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:10 am

I have the best coworkers. One of them picked me a big bag of morels yesterday. Almost four pounds worth:
morels1.jpg
Some will go on the grill with steaks, some will go into the dehydrator.
I've heard this bull before.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:57 am

tek wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:52 pm
I recommend using a side of beef instead.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I follow Scott Rea, a British butcher, on his meaty channel.

I know everyone likes BACON :!:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:25 pm

sorry - German spoken - the cook Vanessa teaches in Barcelona at the Hofman school

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:00 pm

How creative! No words needed. It must be a strange experience to bite into any of those! :thumbs:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:33 pm

Gordon Ramsay’s 10 Millionth Subscriber Burger Recipe

check viewtopic.php?f=46&t=220&p=1097781#p1097781

and a Amazon link to one of his books Gordon Ramsay Ultimate Fit Food: Mouth-watering recipes to fuel you for life

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Our neighbors three doors up, who we're pretty close to, had a big 4th party in their backyard. Probably 25-30 people.

We often cook together, and we've had some good meals from the smoker I got last winter... so I offered to smoke up some meat for the party, to back off from the usual burgs and dogs menu..

I made a couple pork butts and the point half of a brisket that I happened to have in the freezer. They had said the pork alone would be fine, but a non-null set of neighbors are Jewish, and even though I don't/can't cook kosher I thought it would be neighborly to have something non-pork..

In the past, smoking has always taken far longer than it should, so I've had to force it at the end.. this time I decided I'd put the meat on the smoker at about 4pm the day before, keep the smoke up for as long as I could stay awake (about 8pm in this case), and then let it run overnight and let it continue in the morning until it was 'done'.. then let it rest in a 140F oven until the party.

(part of this party was a going-away party for us, we're moving waaaay south sometime over the nest six months or so)

Much to my surprise, the brisket was a huge hit - among everyone. To the point where one neighbor said "next Seder, I'm gonna fedex you a brisket to smoke and send back."

I do not claim to be a BBQ guru, and this would never win a competition.. then again, 'competition' BBQ isn't necessarily comfort BBQ..

So here it is, in all it's simplicity (masterbuilt electric smoker, 'cuz that's what I have):
The rub:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder (I use Penzey's granulated)
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder (again, Penzey's granulated)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
Scale as required.

a day and a half before, trim the brisket (there are a lot of youtubes about this, I forget how I learned to do it). Turns out you don't have to be all that careful about it, as long as you make 'windows' in the fat for the rub to get in . You're gonna trim off all the fat as you slice, so no need to panic here.

slather a 'glue' on the brisket. Traditionally this is yellow mustard, to help the rub adhere. I use maple syrup.
Get a good amount of the rub onto, into and over all surfaces of the brisket, put it in a big Ziploc, and put it in the fridge for 24-48 hours, turning occasionally.

At least 18 hours before go-time:
Clean up and rack up the smoker. Set foil pans below each meat level to catch most of the mess. Fill the water pan. Set to 250F and let it preheat.
When the smoker is up to temp, add the first (soaked) wood chips. I use hickory and cherry for pork and/or brisket.
Let the smoker come back up to temp. (this is important, because if you put too much heat into a fresh batch of chips, they catch fire rather than smoulder, and that can cause an off taste)

Place the meat in the smoker, dumping the excess juices from the ziploc into the catch pans. Insert your temp probes, hopefully one for each piece of meat.

Let it smoke for 4-6 hours, adding (soaked) chips every 40 minutes or whatever seems to be needed. Do not open the door.

Turn the smoker down to 220F, check that there is a good load of water in the water pan, and go to sleep.

In the morning, add some wood chips, and see what the meat probes are saying. I would pull at about 185F.

Double wrap the brisket in foil (add a little apple juice here if you want, that will help the end result be moist) ,wrap in towels, and either put in a cooler or in a 140F oven until almost ready to serve.

Remove the brisket from the foil, saving any juices that have accumulated.

Slice across the grain (you may need to separate the point and flat to do this, but I kinda just wing it) into about 1/4" slices (as best you can), discarding excess fat along the way. Place the slices in a serving tray, traditionally a foil pan, and then pour the reserved juices over.

Cover tightly with foil, hold in a 180F oven (if available) until the masses demand food.

Serve with a not-too-smoky barbecue sauce. My favorite way is on potato buns (e.g. Martin's), but many like to eat it as is.

nom nom nom.

sorry for any tyops.
There's no way back
from there to here

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Agree, sounds really good.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Do any of you have a tried and true recipe for sweet onion jelly? I'm going broke buying the stuff by the jar.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:54 pm
Do any of you have a tried and true recipe for sweet onion jelly? I'm going broke buying the stuff by the jar.
I've never tried this recipe myself, but it looks simple enough...

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/sw ... elly-91069
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “The Lounge”